Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.16 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

10 minutes ago, dwarden said:

+ new server.cfg setting inside Mission Cycle: randomOrder=<Boolean>;

I wanted this setting for years!! thx))

3 hours ago, Vasily.B said:

I'm still unable to se larger maxmem parameter than 2GB. Any number i put there larger than 2Gigs will reset to max 2gb. Arrow on the right (increasing) is unreachable after puting 2GB

U can use the properties tab and enter startup param -maxmem=,  or In the launcher there is a 'startup parameters' option (check) where u create a folder od startup parameters in the main game directory.   There u can create a folder with a parameter file  maxmem=.  :don16:

15 minutes ago, dvdbrewster said:

U can use the properties tab and enter startup param -maxmem=,  or In the launcher there is a 'startup parameters' option (check) where u create a folder od startup parameters in the main game directory.   There u can create a folder with a parameter file  maxmem=.  :don16:

Do you think i dont know.... I just sayed i cannot put IN LAUNCHER any larger than 2 GB at maxmem parameter.

@dwarden i tough the 3GB limit is for stable :

However, although it is true the support for 64-bit has yet to hit our Main Branch, we decided to give you all at least something as a small appetizer. Starting with Update 1.66, when run on 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Arma 3 will be able to effectively work with more than just 2 GB of memory. The current limit has been increased to 3 GB. Magic, yay!

https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-64-bit-executables

1 minute ago, Vasily.B said:

Do you think i dont know.... I just sayed i cannot put IN LAUNCHER any larger than 2 GB at maxmem parameter.

@dwarden i tough the 3GB limit is for stable :

https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-64-bit-executables

No, that's not where it goes.. mine does same thing.  There is a different  box.

23 minutes ago, dvdbrewster said:

No, that's not where it goes.. mine does same thing.  There is a different  box.

I need a beer and double check it, its friday at least :D  I wasnt launching this game since...... i dont remeber. Will check it

JUST TRIED
and it doesnt work - arma will not utilize more than 2GB even with additional parameters txt file aquired in launcher.

23 hours ago, Vasily.B said:

JUST TRIED
and it doesnt work - arma will not utilize more than 2GB even with additional parameters txt file aquired in launcher

Isnt ot supposed to be hpp  instead of .txt?

22 minutes ago, dvdbrewster said:

Isnt ot supposed to be hpp  instead of .txt?

No, it can be txt, it allways could be txt.

Since 1.66 the frame drop bug, where als the models and textures are broken, is back for me.

This is not my picture, but it looks the same as the probem i have: https://gyazo.com/da4eefcde24fb88cc496ff6296aaf963

I have tested with the profiling build yesterday and today without it. In both sessions the fps broke down after some time and i had to restart Arma.

Does someone else have this problem too, or knows how to fix this?

12 hours ago, meiestrix said:

Since 1.66 the frame drop bug, where als the models and textures are broken, is back for me.

This is not my picture, but it looks the same as the probem i have: https://gyazo.com/da4eefcde24fb88cc496ff6296aaf963

I have tested with the profiling build yesterday and today without it. In both sessions the fps broke down after some time and i had to restart Arma.

Does someone else have this problem too, or knows how to fix this?

Did you tried different malloc? If you have Win 8/10 try system memory allocator, for me it works fine now.

Yes i have Windows 10. The memory allocator is the default one i have not changed anything on the allocator.

8 hours ago, meiestrix said:

Yes i have Windows 10. The memory allocator is the default one i have not changed anything on the allocator.

So try other allocator (you choose them fromg ame launcher in parameters tab. Default one should fix the issue, try also JE malloc.

just to be clear, stop using any maxmem or maxvram, they not needed anymore ...

the option and max values are just in case ...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dwarden said:

just to be clear, stop using any maxmem or maxvram, they not needed anymore ...

the option and max values are just in case ...

I Figured that out myself and can corfirm this on the client user side. Game runs indeed best if you don't touch -maxmen and -maxvram anymore.

System memory allocator still seems the best and most stable for Win10.

Afree best performance for now is not using any parameters, only Hyperthreading (if your CPU is able to use it). Performance is almost perfect since i disabled those params.
First time i was disapointed beacuse on my older PC those parameters was doing something, and on brand new pc performace was worse, even with my friend who have exacly same pc, game was runing like a charm. Everything changed when i disabled parameters. Now i can enjoy gameplay. :)

What about setting for server?

Currently use tbbmalloc (cma) from 

And start param: 

-malloc=cma -enableHT -config=cfg\config.cfg -world=empty -servermod=@A3Log;@asm;@infiSTAR_A3; -nosplash -noSound -noPause -loadMissionToMemory -nologs -enableHT -autoinit

(Yup no log server side but... these spam make me fool ^^, already done topics about this)
Also no custom -cfg atm for for test

Also some tutorials tell to use

BIstudio.wiki a écrit :
profiling branch (special performance + profiling build) requires access code: CautionSpecialProfilingAndTestingBranchArma3

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791321243

This profiling branch is good/same/worst than last dwarden binary build ?

1.66.139792 new PROFILING branch with PERFORMANCE binaries, v7, server and client, windows/linux
+ fixed -enableHT startup commandline param, linux (major) windows (minor), bonus benefit to AMD or CPU with many core users
+ added support for Large / Huge Pages into allocator interface, included in default TBB4, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_(computer_memory)#Huge_pages
+ new startup commandline -hugepages (both client/server)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/3BSy9PdRGm

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B03-H4YIbhkFMUt5RzNqZjFlNGs
available via STEAMklient/STEAMcmd as branch too, read https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Steam_Branches#Arma_3_Server

BIForum feedback: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-166-performance-binary-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=3130011Discord feedback: https://discord.gg/0aWSevYPq5W2FeM6

FIY: -enableHT is off by default (as it was until now) and -hugePages isn't available on linux yet

• Like 1

So this

31 minutes ago, dwarden said:

+ new startup commandline -hugepages (both client/server)

Will appear in launcher? I know its not right now, but will?

launcher, next year more likely ... just add it manually for now ...

now interesting for those who think about trying squeeze most performance

-hugePages , this could give you 1-15% performance boost (depending on cpu cache sizes and architecture, memory speeds and latencies etc.)

-enableHT, this now properly detects the amount of cores and types of cores (same goes for default w/o any commandline used)

yet, there is interesting 'tidbit, but please do not take it as 'definitive tweaking guide, it needs to be first tested' (and the result may vary vs cpu platforms/generations)

if you have overclocked CPU (let say at minimum 20-25% over the stock value)

then instead of -enableHT or -cpuCount=<nativecorecount>

try use -cpuCount=<NATIVEcorecount+HTcorecount+1> or -cpuCount=<NATIVEcorecount+HTcorecount+2>

so e.g. for 4.5GHz quadcore Intel i7 try -cpuCount=9 or -cpuCount=10

note: you may observe the effect of those Arma 3 startup commandline parameters on 'count' of threads the arma3.exe spawns

feel free to get back to me with some benchmark results comparing default (that means no -enableHT, no -cpuCount=<>) vs just -enableHT vs various -cpuCount= experiments

FIY: -enableHT is off by default (as it was until now) and -hugePages isn't available on linux yet and jemalloc isn't using hugepages yet either (only tbb4)

• Like 4

I just happen to have an i7 (albeit only a 2700k) overclocked from 3.5 to 4.8 (sometimes 5 if I fiddle with the voltages but it's sketchy)... I'll get on that cpucount thing later and report back ;), if the results look promising I might up my page file size as well. Do you think this will make the game more unstable / more likely to get memory errors like '3FPS'?

hugepages are leak unrelated ... so if the leak still exists then the problem will happen sooner or later

Sorry, noob question(s) inbound.

Do i need to update the allocators in the dll folder with the new ones with the support? 

Also should I do away with the maxMem and maxvram parameters that i have for the launcher?

thanks 

@Dwarden i have same problem since V5 and V6/V7, commandline -password is broken... The server returns "invalid password"

My commandline : -connect=164.132.203.110 -port=2302 -password=agora -mod=@agorapolis -noLogs -nosplash -nopause The players must be connect manually With the V4 it works very well, but not since the V5 and V6/V7

@agorapolis

try "-password=agora"

anyway I need someone else to confirm this (no mods) as I had no time to check it

and more likely it will not be fixed before January anyway (team needs to have some holiday time)

@Getsuga_10Shou

yes, you need replace the older tbb4allocator.dll with the one on dropbox (or update the game to latest profiling via steamcmd or steamclient w/e method you are using)

• Like 1