.kju

Community Upgrade Project

Agreed on all points, but at the same time its down to the mod maker to determine what they want to do with their own time, at the end of the day everything is possible so just because one person doesn't share it doesn't mean we won't find out ourselves.

The difference is that when we find it out we will share that information and then that particular mod style will become "known", the idea of trying to hide what was done doesn't work either because eliteness (thanks to kju :D), anyway CUP will dominate just because more people will be interested in it down to the one download principle.

I think we just need to keep moving forward and develop CUP with youtube vids etc, the problem with AIA is that it sounds too much like an actual game rather than a mod, so we need to reiterate modification somehow.

Possibly when doing another advert vid the word All in Arma Modification would be better?

Agreed on all points, but at the same time its down to the mod maker to determine what they want to do with their own time

Of course, no one is actually trying to force people to cooperate, or make them not release their mods. I'm not saying they MUST do it, but in the interest of the players, they SHOULD do it. It can only be beneficial for them.

I think we just need to keep moving forward and develop CUP with youtube vids etc

Stir the PR cup ;)

Probably there aren't a lot of people that are aware of the effort at all

Lots of mods is really a bad idea, IMHO.

When I make a mission, do I want to tell people to download @m4, @SMAW, @M249, @DMR, @M24, @G36, @m16 ? No, I would like to tell them to download @a2_weapons.

And what's stopping you exactly ?

Your example are modfolders with .pbo inside them. The basic stuff.

Make a folder called @a2_weapons and regroup all these seperate pbo's inside it.

I really don't understand what was your point. As a matter of fact i do appreciate when a mod author release a pack of weapons, but make multiple pbos, one for each weapon. Because i can pick and choose what i truely want and make my own compilation, based on my standards. Because a lot of packs out there got some pretty decent weapons, and other awful ones. What if i just want to use the decent ones, without having to deal with the rest ?

No. The real issue right now with ports is the quality of the said ports. If they don't support A3 attachments, A3 muzzleflashes and A3 new animations, there's no point in porting them. Everyone want to play with the old toys, but no one wants to play with the old toys with their old functions.

Edited by Drakenof

I really don't understand what was your point. As a matter of fact i do appreciate when a mod author release a pack of weapons, but make multiple pbos, one for each weapon. Because i can pick and choose what i truely want and make my own compilation, based on my standards. Because a lot of packs out there got some pretty decent weapons, and other awful ones. What if i just want to use the decent ones, without having to deal with the rest ?

Okay so you got your weapon compilation drake_weapons.pbo.. Now you want to join my server and I have ada_weapons.pbo and someone else has kju_weapons.pbo and the next guy has hello_weapons.pbo. You see where this is going? If I want to join your servers I'll need to have all those weapon pbos and half of them might be double. Yay for having the same weapon on my harddrive 10 times..Also yay for needing to download a different mod, even if for example the only difference between our mods would be one weapon. That's why standardized packs like these make a lot of sense. You download one mod and you can play on a whole lot of servers without having to worry about anything else.

Not to mention, not everyone wants 50 different distributions of their mod.

Make a folder called @a2_weapons and regroup all these seperate pbo's inside it.

No. The real issue right now with ports is the quality of the said ports. If they don't support A3 attachments, A3 muzzleflashes and A3 new animations, there's no point in porting them. Everyone want to play with the old toys, but no one wants to play with the old toys with their old functions.

This entire concept only works with SP im afraid.

I don't quite understand what you mean, and obviously, you haven't understood what I meant, either.

I've created a mission. I have to weigh what to use in terms of addons. So, what addons do I use ? If I sue too many, people won't bother downloading my mission. I know I don'T bother with missions that use more than a handful of addons.

Let's give an example: CWR2. Great mod, pretty big. Would you rather download a mission that says "Needs CWR2" or "Needs CWR2_weapons_east, CWR2_weapons_west, CWR2_weapon_fia, CWR2_vehicles_west, CWR2_vehicles_east, CWR2_vehicles_fia" etc.

It's not about how YOU organize your harddisk. It's about the convenience of download for the user, keeping track of updates etc.

Yes, and if you want to use them, you have to download EACH AND EVERY ONE by itself.

I really don't understand what was your point.

Quite obviously, you didn't. I hope you do now ?

No, the real issue, and IIRC, that's what CUP is about, is to create a unified apporach for all the A2 assets to be ported. If done right, all the weapons, for example, use the same set of attachments.

In fact, you give one more example of why having hundreds of addons is a bad thing. Due to the way attachments are handled, each potential weapon mod would come with it's own set of attachments. So, you might tend up with a PSO scope that fits on an AK47, but not on an AK74 since that's from another author. And the Kobra sight that the AK74 author did does not fit the AK47.

The issue right now is unification. Otherwise, we end up with tons of different addons with different features and far different quality.

Hooo boy! The more work I do with the damage system, the more red flags that pop up.:SpiningDemon:

If you are a CUP modder working on Fire Geometry or Hit Point LOD's, and you want to integrate with RAM at some point, Skype me (I'm in the CUP group) so I can help you avoid some pitfalls modeling those LOD's. I don't have all the answers just yet, but I know some things to avoid like the plague.

Otherwise, proper RAM integration will require P3D monkeying. (Note: making a P3D RAM-compatible will only help your vehicle in the vanilla game. Not making it RAM-compatible will definitely hurt it when using RAM.)

ASAP, I will post the latest advice to the RAM thread and/or a wiki to better share the info.

If you don't care about RAM, please ignore this and carry on. :)

delete please

Edited by Zio Sam
wrong thread

So bring the A2 content in a way that have no problem to running it with A3 physx? Change the Walking animation you mean walking with weapons down? with one of the arms hanging like walking un armed? if it is, there is already a mod that changes it..

Hi all,

as I'm currently working on some imports from A2 (so far many of them have been released under my HAFM tag) I was wondering if somehow you wish me to help - contribute on your project here ... I mean not as a fulltime working member but at least to make all necessary corrections to my so far imports in order to fullfill the requirements needed to be parts of this mod also.

Let me know your thoughts about.

Aplion

Hi all,

as I'm currently working on some imports from A2 (so far many of them have been released under my HAFM tag) I was wondering if somehow you wish me to help - contribute on your project here ... I mean not as a fulltime working member but at least to make all necessary corrections to my so far imports in order to fullfill the requirements needed to be parts of this mod also.

Let me know your thoughts about.

Aplion

This is great Aplion. Do you use Skype? If so, I'd start by joining the Skype group - that's what I did. You can chat with the whole CUP community there.

kju is the main organizer, but I'll take a stab at the process: It mostly involves submitting work to a DevHeaven repository. But as I haven't even started doing that yet, I'll leave it to someone else to describe in more detail. As I understand it, CUP submissions that are far enough along get integrated into All-in-Arma standalone so they can all play together compatibility-wise in one giant mod with all the vehicles, maps, weapons, etc. But you don't give away any rights to continue to use them in your own packages as you see fit. The beauty is that the Arma 2 ports get integrated in a way that keeps them compatible with each other, and reduces unnecessary duplicate work. It also makes it easier to more efficiently share and learn from the porting experience of the other members, which tends to speed up the process.

This is great Aplion. Do you use Skype? If so, I'd start by joining the Skype group - that's what I did. You can chat with the whole CUP community there.

kju is the main organizer, but I'll take a stab at the process: It mostly involves submitting work to a DevHeaven repository. But as I haven't even started doing that yet, I'll leave it to someone else to describe in more detail. As I understand it, CUP submissions that are far enough along get integrated into All-in-Arma standalone so they can all play together compatibility-wise in one giant mod with all the vehicles, maps, weapons, etc. But you don't give away any rights to continue to use them in your own packages as you see fit. The beauty is that the Arma 2 ports get integrated in a way that keeps them compatible with each other, and reduces unnecessary duplicate work. It also makes it easier to more efficiently share and learn from the porting experience of the other members, which tends to speed up the process.

Olds ... I'm already talking with kju through PMs and I've joined the CUP Steam group .. as for Skype I'm not using it but I have some thoughts about better team communication (I also have been talk with kju about that waiting for his reply).

Exciting news to see you involved with this Aplion. Am very much enjoying your A2 ports!

Just wondering, is part of CUP also the importing of units and uniforms from Arma 2? This is one area that seems to be not much covered.

I would love to see mod which includes proper ported A2 units, vehicles and weapons with improved textures (not Arma 3 retextures), that would covered all important content which is missing in Arma 3.

I like the idea of AIA SA, but there are not proper A3 standart ports like CUP seems to have (I could be wrong, I don't know if there is plan to include CUP stuff into AIA). And AIA HQ is good temporary solution, but it's just not it.

Edited by EvroMalarkey

Just wondering, is part of CUP also the importing of units and uniforms from Arma 2? This is one area that seems to be not much covered.

I would love to see mod which includes proper ported A2 units, vehicles and weapons with improved textures (not Arma 3 retextures), that would covered all important content which is missing in Arma 3.

I like the idea of AIA SA, but there are not proper A3 standart ports like CUP seems to have (I could be wrong, I don't know if there is plan to include CUP stuff into AIA). And AIA HQ is good temporary solution, but it's just not it.

It's a bit of a hit 'n miss. Kaelies South Zagoria mod has forward ported a lot of A2/OA CDF/Taki content, but to be honest the uniforms just don't look right in A3 without some major work. It's amazing what Kaelies got to a functional state, but the A2 age is showing.

I hope this project isn't dead. Was quite looking forward to seeing Jackals and Landrovers that don't wobble around like jelly ;)

Does the issue with Alduric was solved or he´s out of CUP project? (hope his projects - aside A3MP - aren´t vaporware...)

Alduric has not joined the CUP. He did only join the Skype group. That's all.

Hey .Kju love your work ( yes i'm saying it again...believe people should know how much their work is loved by a single person :P) will the CUP en-globe AIA or is it a bigger step and AIA was just a beginning, and what is AIA replacement pack? i read but could not understand

So are there any plans on porting OFP addons to arma 3 or is the glorious idea of cold war content a broken dream for the old school players of the series?

So are there any plans on porting OFP addons to arma 3 or is the glorious idea of cold war content a broken dream for the old school players of the series?

CUP is about upgrading the BI Arma 2 assets to Arma 3 standards. Nothing beyond that.

If by OFP addon you are referring to Cold War Rearmed, then no, the authors of the mod made it exclusively for Arma 2

There are some mods that recreate the Cold War era units and hardware, not OFP related though.