Sign in to follow this  
pharoah

ARMA 3 Vietnam

Here's an idea for a full modification: ARMA 3 Vietnam! Okay, I have NO modding skills whatsoever but I'm hoping someone else might. Here's the scoop (I posted this in the ideas thread as well):

1. Scenario

Full modification of the ARMA 3 game to represent the Vietnam war (1965 - 1975 or so). Probably set in say 1968 at the height of the conflict.

2. Required

1. Map

- South Vietnam map complete with jungles, rice paddies, mountains, beaches, rivers.

- primarily large swathes of jungle if possible reducing visibility to only a few metres

- fire bases complete with artillery (105mm/155mm)

2. Factions

- US Army / USMC / Aust Army / NVA / VC / civilians (farmers)

Vehicles

i. Helicopters - UH1/CH34 (USMC)/CH46/CH47/AH1/OH6 Loach

ii. Jets - F100/F4II/A6

iii. Prop - A1D/O2/OV10/CH47 (Puff the magic dragon)/C130 maybe/C123

iv. Riverine PBTs (I think they're called..the little navy gunboats), aircraft carrier for A6 landings/takeoffs

v. Jeep/Deuce and a half truck/M60 tank/M113 APC/T62/BTR50

Weapons

i. US Army / USMC / Aust Army

- M16/M14/M60/Shotgun/L1A1 SLR/M1911/grenade/mortars (60mm/81mm)/.30 cal or .50 cal

ii. VC / NVA

- AK47/RPK/SKS/M1 Garand/SVD 63/Makarov

iii. Aircraft weapons

- miniguns (7.62mm or M61), napalm, rockets, GP bombs (250lb/500lb/1000lb/snakeeyes)

3. Missions

- US Army/USMC/ARA - offensive patrolling, search and destroy, LRRP, ambushing

- VC/NVA - offensive patrolling, ambushing, large scale attacks on fixed bases

Essentially, the main mode would be CTI or domination with areas of the map filled with infantry. The US/ARA would be required to ferry inf to clear these areas through UH1s/CH34s/Ch46s supported by UH1/AH1G gunships. Missions can be day or night, although you'd expect the majority of VC/NVA missions to be night time focused. Support would be provided by fire bases (artillery/mortars/infantry), air power (F100s primarily, F4s, A1Ds), etc or with the use of a FAC (O1 or OV10)

This is where you could do proper Long Range Recon Patrols (LRRP) of small 5 man squads being dropped off in enemy territorry, patrolling around and radioing in enemy concentrations or positions for arty/air support. The key also would be removing any 'next generation' type equipment that make things that much easier eg. GPS, moving maps, etc. Put in proper gridlines in maps and make players have to call in artillery or air support the old way..with a proper 6 digit gridref.

Obviously there's a lot to do...and there's already been a start on it (Vietnam: The Experience) however I'm hoping with the added incentive of $200k, this would gain momentum. I'd certainly buy this as a full DLC for ARMA 3 and the opportunities for missions, etc are endless. I'm under no illusions this is a mammoth task but I thought I'd throw this out there anyway! :)

You may be thinking of the Patrol Boat, River (PBR). Also, why not consult with Aplion about whether or not you can use the HAF mod's F-4 Phantom II?

yep thats the one...couldn't remember the name. thanks.

Sorry, ARA = Australian Regular Army.

Like I said in my post above, ARMA 3 would be the PERFECT platform for a proper Vietnam era map/campaign/whatever...ie. helicopters/jets/infantry/etc. I know its a big ask and probably something that may not ever happen other than the mod, but you never know.

Wasn't that ANZAC back in the days?

by the way: This mod already exisits and is called The Unsung. Think they also redo the mod for Arma3.

yep thats the one...thought it was called Vietnam the experience or something. I'm hoping that the $200k prize helps these guys to get the above up and running.

Id just like to put it out there that Id be very excited to see the Australians included in a Vietnam mod. We contributed quite a considerable amount of resources to the war effort and certainly are a force to be reckoned with. Lets also not forget our neighbour New Zealand. Both of them could be combined into 1 faction for the Armaverse, ANZAC's!

Hey,

This forum section is meant for actual mods participating in the MANW contest.

Since you have already posted this, I will now close this thread. Feel free to continue your discussion elsewhere.

Thank you.

Maio,

Deputy propaganda and censorship officer

BI Secret Forum Police