Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Multiplayer dying fast??

Is the multiplayer game already dying a quick death?

I did a search (filters to default) at 8 pm on a Thursday night (Mountain Time). This should be the time that rabid gamers are hard at it.

There are 500 servers available.

Only 12 had more than 10 or more players. Thats .024% :(

Four were Wasteland servers.

Two were Altius Life servers

Two were King of the Hill.

Only 7 of these twelve servers were pings lower than 100 for me.

By comparison Call of Duty 2..an 8 year old game, has 18 servers with 10 or more players and over 1100 servers online. WOW!! Sad!!

I guess this is what happens when you don't release a full game with content for multiplayer.

I sure am glad BI is focused on the single player campaign.

Edited by Bvrettski

Get "PlayWithSix" and you will find a ton of 40+ servers on their server browser. Not sure why they dont show in the regular in game server browser.

Then they desperately need to fix the multiplayer browser. I shouldnt have to use Play with Six to find a game.

Well I don't know if it's dying...that's because I'm not sure it was really that alive. It could have been that it was just a bad time (low point in activity) or it could be that many are facing the same thing I am...Burnout. I personally play Arma 3 almost strictly for the multiplayer, King of the Hill is my favorite game mode so far, but even I can only play so much before it turns kind of stale. I bet it will pick up again once more stuff is released and implemented.

It's also important to note that there seems to be a rather sizable group of the community who don't consider ArmA as a multiplayer game but simply as a sandbox for single player/coop only. So I think that could contribute to why you still see more activity for other games vs. ArmA 3.

Euro primetime seems the busiest.

Take a look 'round noon mountain time.

And yeah, the browser is wonky. Can try filtering by game mode.

Also, here's a server list:

http://arma3.swec.se/server/list

I see 28 servers with 10 or more players at past midnight eastern time.

I was disappointed with ArmA 3, and returned to ArmA 2 very quickly. On our servers we receive a huge influx of players who feel the same.

Try using your filters, there is a max of 500 servers shown at one time in in-game browser I believe. set min players above zero

Our group still didn't start seriously playing A3. This is mainly due to the lack of important Gameplay mechanics such as Weapon rest and a decent medical system. Some of us didn't even buy the game because of that. So we continue playing A2. I bet it is the same in many other groups.

Tonci87 is bloody right.

I'm not surprised. There are too many missing features that actually bother the community so quick.

Personally I don't play any server that don't allow JSRS/SOS mods, and atm there are only 2 PVP servers with a cospicious numbers of players that allow these.

Give it time, Arma 3 after all will succeed Arma 2.

We need to wait until the game content is completely delivered ( all episodes with new vehicles + modding tools ), and after that we will be able to have mods like ACE, and so on. Think of the game like if it was still on Beta.

Multiplayer is very much alive and well. The Arma 3 server browser is what's broken. If you see very few servers that have 40+ people, reset your filters and click refresh. Sometimes the browser will show 20 servers and right away I'll know that's BS. I'll mess with the server filters and refresh until I see the whole list pop up.

tried to commit my group to arma 3, gave up within a month of terminators running amok on altis and are now happily killing mug on A2 :)

I can safely attest that right now I'm basically not playing anything at all except a browser game simply because work's picking up, but I'm done with Arma 2 for anything that isn't testing Arma 2 mods.

Our group still didn't start seriously playing A3. This is mainly due to the lack of important Gameplay mechanics such as Weapon rest and a decent medical system.
Weapon Rest... still clueless on why that was left out since it was extremely popular in ACE.

Also worth mentioning: The bogging-down-effect on framerate in MP being an issue as well. (?) Taints the experience.

Multiplayer is really well alive. I too have some problems sometimes with teh server browser but i reapply teh filter and i see hundreds of server with lot of people in them.

The biggest problem with multiplayer at teh moment is not weapon resting and things like that, it is the performance degradation over time.

Yes it's dying fast.

We have tons of ARMA MP experience from ARMA 1 era until today.

Multiplay is dying.

Mainly 2 reasons.

1) People who will try their luck in MP will see 2-3 dominant PvP scenarios around.

Wasteland/Fight For Territory/King of the Hill

All 3 of them are hilariously scripted (too much unnecessary script lag) and bad examples of ARMA capabilities and wise MP balancing.

2)ARMA3's netcode is also hilarious.

One think i was proud of ARMA 2 or/and CO netcode was.. no matter what ping you had (within reason) every match was fair.

You could easily tell where your opponent was *just faster than you.

In ArmA3 every thing are like a dice-roll (no more comments)

You *might kill someone with 1 shot of 5.56 in 150 meters but you *might not kill someone 10 meters far with half a clip 6.5 center mass.

*We have concluded after having experience on Multiple servers and gamemodes (our dedi included)

The only reason i m still staying in the frustrating PvP scene is i read recently BI will make revolutionary changes (maybe related to DayZ standalone proggress)

BIS had a long enough time. . . . . Arma3 is a SP game!

I doubt that they have intresse at MP!

>One think i was proud of ARMA 2 or/and CO netcode was.. no matter what ping you had (within reason) every match was fair.

>You could easily tell where your opponent was *just faster than you.

Agreed - my (subjective) experience is that at lower frame rates, hit detection (or maybe damage) seems very unreliable.

Is the multiplayer game already dying a quick death?

I did a search (filters to default) at 8 pm on a Thursday night (Mountain Time). This should be the time that rabid gamers are hard at it.

There are 500 servers available.

Only 12 had more than 10 or more players. Thats .024% :(

Four were Wasteland servers.

Two were Altius Life servers

Two were King of the Hill.

Only 7 of these twelve servers were pings lower than 100 for me.

By comparison Call of Duty 2..an 8 year old game, has 18 servers with 10 or more players and over 1100 servers online. WOW!! Sad!!

I guess this is what happens when you don't release a full game with content for multiplayer.

I sure am glad BI is focused on the single player campaign.

maybe cause the majority of arma 3 players are from europe, and that will be early morning or night then.

1) People who will try their luck in MP will see 2-3 dominant PvP scenarios around.

Wasteland/Fight For Territory/King of the Hill

All 3 of them are hilariously scripted (too much unnecessary script lag) and bad examples of ARMA capabilities and wise MP balancing.

This is the killer for me. There's simply no populated gamemode that I really want to play that doesn't offer anything I can't get offline or has been done better in other games. I really appreciate the work that's put into them, but I simply do not find them appealing.

Wasteland? It's pretty fun, but I don't like free for alls that much. Domi (and subsequent derivatives)? I've been playing that one for years. It's old hat now and kinda showing it's age and it's stale to me. Altis life? It's a funny distraction at times, but the civ life rpg just isn't for me. DayZ clone X? Meh.

I'm really looking forward to beCTI, Alive and PR:A3 (if they ever get around to release) for a more involved teamwork based experience. It's tough finding like-minded individuals on the public servers AND a game mode/mission that's fresh.

On a different rant, I really miss the beta as a mod method from A2. I currently can't play on A3 [DEV] and stable without opting-in/out and re-downloading stuff all the time. This is too time-consuming for me to bother and I feel I miss out on a lot.