Sign in to follow this  
Maxell

Altis map - planned changes

The forests in Chernarus were so dense, I once ran head long into a BMP-3 that was just idling on the edge. Luckily the AI can't see well in vehicles! :whistle: I don't know how it managed to wedge into the trees like that. WHAM! Smack into its side! A total "OH SHIT!" moment. :p

The forests in Chernarus were so dense, I once ran head long into a BMP-3 that was just idling on the edge. Luckily the AI can't see well in vehicles! :whistle: I don't know how it managed to wedge into the trees like that. WHAM! Smack into its side! A total "OH SHIT!" moment. :p

Just think of those forests with the new mist....

:butbut:

but forests are kinda usuless, your nearly like in a open field. Yes some have stones etc, but no bushes, nothing.

Add forests with many bushes/clutter then - problem solved. Our videocards will handle them much better than in 2009. Alwarren is right - Altis needs variety. At least populate the island with more bush.

Predominantly open fields / hills are just not very interesting to play in an infantry-focused game. Especially considering that the cell size is too big too so there are no ditches / microterrain and way too much flat space. Chernarus hid it well with its clutter.

Check Celle 2 if you want to see how really dense forests can get in RV. It dwarfs Chernarus in that regard

Edited by metalcraze

Add forests with many bushes/clutter then - problem solved. Our videocards will handle them much better than in 2009. Alwarren is right - Altis needs variety. At least populate the island with more bush.

Predominantly open fields / hills are just not very interesting to play in an infantry-focused game. Especially considering that the cell size is too big too so there are no ditches / microterrain and way too much flat space. Chernarus hid it well with its clutter.

Check Celle 2 if you want to see how really dense forests can get in RV. It dwarfs Chernarus in that regard

Open hills allow for a different kinds of tactics than mainstream games. Though I recall Lemnos having bushes and other things that would make good cover. But the idea of adding stuff to make the game play better for infantry is stupid. Just adding stuff because you think it Ned's it can ruin the map by making it look unrealistic. The forests right now fit into the island are based off of forests in the Mediterranean. You want close quarters maps, many games will always do those better.

Infantry fous in what? Ignoring realism? Leaving vehicles in the unfinished state they are? Having the NLAW be able to be reloaded? We don't need arma to fill up with people who think realism isn't fun, and arma's unbalanced and all the stupid stuff that comes from mainstream shooters.

But the idea of adding stuff to make the game play better for infantry is stupid.

How exactly making the game play better is stupid?

And I've never said open hills should be ditched. But having mostly open hills is not very good in a game that does not render microterrain and ditches due to very low detailed terrain geometry and where grass isn't rendered past 100m as well as wind not affecting bullets.

They added forests to Stratis which IRL has none. Making them larger area-wise and filling them with bushes to provide more concealment on Altis will not make it look any less realistic than Stratis. But it will expand the infantry gameplay considerably. Altis is already anything but a copy of Lemnos. Better, more varied gameplay is a good thing for everyone.

You want close quarters maps, many games will always do those better.

Funny you say that - but Altis has a lot more CQ areas than any other BIS island to date.

Infantry fous in what?

The point is that despite the major step backwards when it comes to realism in ArmA3 - infantry still offers more of it and more possibilities than vehicles which are downright arcade and have more primitive weapon systems than their counterparts in our beloved Battlefield 3. And unlike infantry it's not something mods can fix either.

Therefore the map should offer more for an infantry. Just like real terrain does that IRL.

I really love this change, but are you planning on improving midrange textures? It really destroy Altis in some ways.

Great addition, no problem with mission done in this area, I think that we can update them.

We need more big villas on top of some mountains (for more "Kill Tony Montana" missions)

Mountain-side-villa-with-pool-and-outdoor-furniture-600x324.jpeg

Edited by gonza

We don't need arma to fill up with people who think realism isn't fun

It's been said before, but you really need to stop speaking for others. Besides, I fail to see how making the infantry experience more realistic makes the game less realistic.

We don't need arma to fill up with people who think realism isn't fun, and arma's unbalanced and all the stupid stuff that comes from mainstream shooters.

Lol, right now I think we should just hope for any players that are at least halfway serious.

but forests are kinda usuless, your nearly like in a open field. Yes some have stones etc, but no bushes, nothing.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

do we need to repeat this every single time, it depens on server you play, it depends on mission you play, ping has nothing to do with your performace.

Yup we do need to repeat it until you can find me a mission on any server that runs 60 vs 60 multiplayer, with all the available A3 equipment,that doesn't lag out the server to the point of unplayability. I'll even take 60 vs 60 deathmatch with vehicles. Still wont run well once the carnage starts.

Yup we do need to repeat it until you can find me a mission on any server that runs 60 vs 60 multiplayer, with all the available A3 equipment,that doesn't lag out the server to the point of unplayability. I'll even take 60 vs 60 deathmatch with vehicles. Still wont run well once the carnage starts.

Didn't BIS say they were working on Linux servers?

BI Forums: Collective "We's" Everywhere! Anyone with an opinion instantly gains the the support of every player in the community. Tis Magical

BI Forums: Collective "We's" Everywhere! Anyone with an opinion instantly gains the the support of every player in the community. Tis Magical

It's called majestic plural, and you are right, it seems to be quite widespread ( not only in BI Forums ). IMO people should keep to their own opinions and defend them with good arguments unless they have proof that what they say is true ( for example a poll results that number the exact amount of people that have voted in one direction ).

But returning to the thread's point, I believe that Altis map is not specially designed for MP big battles ( too many stuff that the CPU must handle at the same time ). I think that for that kind of battles, server should stick to Stratis.

the old thing from the bis maps - forests are not forests ^^ more place to hide my tanks in forests with ways inside- was nice . more bushes ! on the edge from the forests. is all time the same - in a ofp/arma forest i can see from one to the other side - no hiding place inside. you park hq in a wood for hide ? no problem to see it from the copter or from the ground .... and the comonets does not here jop - is no camo work in visible function.

better woods more bushes on the forest edges - higher trees !

and give us comonets ^^ the what we have do all not camo for hide ^^ no problem to see the net in a forest of 3 km on the map :D maby camonet with naturals camo ;)

Sorry for bumping this, but are the changes still planned?

I figured these would have been implemented before Adapt.

Despite Bohemia proudly looking at Atlis with a sense of great achievement (with good reasons!) I still quite dislike the Greek Mediterranean scenery, landscapes and 'vacation' atmosphere, never have been a fan of these. I do miss the green forests, heavy grass and moody atmosphere of Arma 2 and was wondering if Bohemia was considering developing another large scale terrain that goes back to a more humid continental climate, or even snow/tundra if the LODs is an issue. Just wondering if that's considered in the long run. (probably as a DLC)

what about, splting altis in parts, for multiplayer pourpose? For example more simple PvP missions, being in small radious, don't require whole map, so mission makers, could use a piece of altis, to make their missions, and people enjoy much better FPS. At least to west/east Altis, maybe to 4 parts even better, SW/SE/NW/NE.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Despite Bohemia proudly looking at Atlis with a sense of great achievement (with good reasons!) I still quite dislike the Greek Mediterranean scenery, landscapes and 'vacation' atmosphere, never have been a fan of these. I do miss the green forests, heavy grass and moody atmosphere of Arma 2 and was wondering if Bohemia was considering developing another large scale terrain that goes back to a more humid continental climate, or even snow/tundra if the LODs is an issue. Just wondering if that's considered in the long run. (probably as a DLC)

there is A3MP map pack out, with Chernarus and Takistan if you didn't know.

Well judging from the previous DLCs(to arma 2) they seem to prefer to stick in the close area of the main game. But I for one would love to see a more "western" country.

what about, splting altis in parts, for multiplayer pourpose? For example more simple PvP missions, being in small radious, don't require whole map, so mission makers, could use a piece of altis, to make their missions, and people enjoy much better FPS. At least to west/east Altis, maybe to 4 parts even better, SW/SE/NW/NE.

Fog and view distance

I'm was not sure if it was pictures or in-game screenshot :rolleyes:

I have just taken a look at DayZ's "Chernarus Plus" Map...even though it's still in early developement (and I'm not really a big fan of DayZ) I have to say: Wow, that's an amazing level of detail and variation of (enterable and furnished) buildings there. Very atmospheric and you really get the feeling like you are in a real city, that you want to explore. I hate to say it, but the settlements and cities on Altis look just so empty and boring in comparison. I really, really hope Altis can somehow catch up to this, but I'm afraid it never will...

p.s. and please give us Chernarus Plus for Arma 3 once it it finished, BI!!!

Edited by novemberist

I have just taken a look at DayZ's "Chernarus Plus" Map...even though it's still in early developement (and I'm not really a big fan of DayZ) I have to say: Wow, that's an amazing level of detail and variation of (enterable and furnished) buildings there. Very atmospheric and you really get the feeling like you are in a real city, that you want to explore. I hate to say it, but the settlements and cities on Altis look just so empty and boring in comparison. I really, really hope Altis can somehow catch up to this, but I'm afraid it never will...

p.s. and please give us Chernarus Plus for Arma 3 once it it finished, BI!!!

I agree with the Altis settlements. They look more like test cities to blow up with a bomb or something. They are so empty and "lifeless". Its like there never were any people.

I agree with the Altis settlements. They look more like test cities to blow up with a bomb or something. They are so empty and "lifeless". Its like there never were any people.

Yes, all buildings basically look like bare brickwork. Even if they were furnished...why are there no bathrooms, sockets, no wallpapers or anything?

Sure, buildings are not as important in a military simulation as in an exploration/survival game like DayZ and the mediterranean setting and attempt at recreating lemnos authentically kind of limit the variation of possible building types...but still, I would have preferred quality over quantity overall.