TeTeT

Preview release: Nimitz for Arma3 (0.103)

The problem has been solved. The model does not a texture applied with a alpha channel where the hiddenselection is... Thanks for the PM!

I've started placing hidden selections for the 3 places with the numbers, but it doesn't work correctly:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171538338096368580/ED2A1657D4AB9813DE701B7ABD6FDE24E4A52C3C/

I've named the image number70_ca.paa and converted it from png and tga, the black background stays.

If anyone feels like helping out, the mission is at http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/missions/[sp]numbers.Stratis.7z and the latest experimental build at http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/@Nimitz.7z Note that the experimental builds are just that, e.g. they are not meant for a stable playing environment.

ss9, you may want to revisit the forum rules on update querying ;) The Nimitz has been on steam workshop for a good time now, whenever @rory_pamphilon gets to it, it will be updated to 0.98 eventually. 

• Like 2

Hey Tet I'm going to have a look at those things we discussed offline.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:56 PM, Polyus said:

Hello, TeTeT, I have a frankly insane question about the Nimitz. If this just irritates you or pisses you off, I apologize in advance. So, here we go. Would it be even remotely possible for the Nimitz to be retextured into other carriers of the class? Thanks.

Hello Polyus, 

good news, we've made the numbers changeable and the aft mast hideable. For the numbers we use setObjectTextureGlobal and for the aft mast an animate. Both options are available through Eden right now. Hopefully thanks to Pookie we'll have lights on the numbers as well, very soon.

Here some teasers:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171538996462047623/FC26A1118899F77B73E8C30D04FF869D3D1D2307/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171538996458509228/58789659525AA1EFC0482D2712275BC37EACF78A/

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TeTeT said:

Hello Polyus, 

good news, we've made the numbers changeable and the aft mast hideable. For the numbers we use setObjectTextureGlobal and for the aft mast an animate. Both options are available through Eden right now. Hopefully thanks to Pookie we'll have lights on the numbers as well, very soon.

Here some teasers:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171538996462047623/FC26A1118899F77B73E8C30D04FF869D3D1D2307/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/171538996458509228/58789659525AA1EFC0482D2712275BC37EACF78A/

As far as I am informed the USS George H. W. Bush (CVN-77) is quite different in design compared to the other Nimitzes, e.g. a different island, curved flight deck edges and such. Will you take that into account too?

1 hour ago, pipewr3nch said:

As far as I am informed the USS George H. W. Bush (CVN-77) is quite different in design compared to the other Nimitzes, e.g. a different island, curved flight deck edges and such. Will you take that into account too?

Unfortunately not, we seriously lack the modelling capacities in the team to create a new island and flight deck (edges). The current approach is much more simplistic and aligned with what resources we have at hand.

• Like 3

Oh my God that's amazing! Thanks for even considering my idea, let alone going through with it!

Here a short video showing the changeable numbers and a gangway created by Joe (who also did the bridge and other assets). While not set in stone, an update to 0.99 is aimed for around Easter.

• Like 5

Currently the number change configuration is broken on 1.68, but still works on dev branch.

I just tested the UAV MQ-4A Greyhawk and the Caesar BTT plane on the flight deck and they stopped bumping over the fligthdeck. Previously at every joint in the geo lod the plane/UAV would brake to 0 and accelerate again. Now it seems to be a very smooth transition from one object to the next. That's not only good for the Nimitz, but also for those who want to use bridges as temporary runways for a change ;)

• Like 2

Why i cant set the USS Nimitz on my Server with Zeus?

Its come a Game Crash from the Server Its it a Linux Root server

4 hours ago, john85oc said:

Why i cant set the USS Nimitz on my Server with Zeus?

Its come a Game Crash from the Server Its it a Linux Root server

The reason is not known by me. Probably best add a feedback tracker ticket with the crash files attached and mention the ticket here.

Hello,

a short progress report on the incoming update. First, there's a fair chance that there will be no release at Easter, as real life takes it toll.

On the current areas of work, some completed:

1. improve front hull entrance area, added gangways by Joe, mostly done, one stray texture is barring a door and some model parts peeking out of the hull
  2. adjust weapon room height, the 2nd deck now sits solid on the same level
  3. improve weapons elevator , unlikely to be completed, we try anyway to make it more functional and less deadly
  4. added picture map of a map to briefing and map room maps (4 times map in a sentence, no flatmap though)
  5. updated Phalanx ciws by TheSn4k3 with new textures
  6. added touchdown tire squeal sound on succesfull trap
  7. fixed aa crew presence upon Eden checkbox toggle
  8. Tilly crash crane now removes Air, Land and Ship wrecks within 200 meters
  9. added new logos
  10. aft mast is hideable
  11. number selectable (non functional due to an Arma bug, works in dev though)

There's also a work in progress with the secondary textures on the Nimitz hull by Shockley, we'll see if this becomes part of 0.99 or 0.100. Further plans are to renovate the hangars and 2nd deck.

Cheers,
TeTeT

• Like 7

On 3/26/2017 at 1:26 AM, TeTeT said:

The reason is not known by me. Probably best add a feedback tracker ticket with the crash files attached and mention the ticket here.

I'm having the same problem as john85oc, everytime I try to insert Nimitz, the game crashes and then states "Bad version 73 in p3d file jdg_carrier\res\empty.p3dPicture

Update your game to the current version and that "bad version" problem will go away.

We haven't finished the integration of Joe's and TheSn4k3's new entrance to the fore hull and hence there will be no update this weekend. We plan to have it ready soon, tm ;)

Once the USS Freedom hits dev branch we'll take a look how this ship operates and what engine commands will support arresting and cat operations, if any. Then we will see if it will be possible to make the Nimitz compatible with it, without breaking existing functionality. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, TeTeT said:

We haven't finished the integration of Joe's and TheSn4k3's new entrance to the fore hull and hence there will be no update this weekend. We plan to have it ready soon, tm ;)

Once the USS Freedom hits dev branch we'll take a look how this ship operates and what engine commands will support arresting and cat operations, if any. Then we will see if it will be possible to make the Nimitz compatible with it, without breaking existing functionality. 

Sounds awesome! I like the idea of changing hull numbers. As soon as I heard there would be a carrier coming at the same time as the Jets DLC I immediately thought of this mod and all of the new stuff you might be able to improve based on BI's development.

I'm more interested Nimitz   than USS freedom 

• Like 4

Thanks for your continued work on this.  The gangplank and number/tower changes look super cool.  Nice work.

• Like 2

Please keep this mod alive and well. You are the only one that can keep the carrier dream alive in Arma 3. Thanks for your work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WastedMike1 said:

Please keep this mod alive and well. You are the only one that can keep the carrier dream alive in Arma 3. Thanks for your work

Thanks for your trust in this mod. I'll first want to clarify that a team is working on the Nimitz, not only me. I'll forwarded your comment to the dev team.

I very much hope that the 'carrier dream' can be kept floating in the form of the USS Freedom from B01 studios and BI, and also the Nimitz mod. We're looking forward to see the details on the Freedom and hope to find a way so the Nimitz can be compatible, so carrier based planes can depart and land on any given carrier on the map. And who knows if there are not other carriers joining soon :)

On a personal note, I think that the flightdeck first approach is a very valid one. Most players enjoy the thrill of the rapid catapult start acceleration and the challenge to land on the ever so short flight deck. Some players want to extend this experience with a more thorough carrier experience, with elevators and hangar and repairs and rearmament and a bridge and what not. We hope to deliver a nice package for those players.

On the next update and current development, I've started to continue some experiments with the sensors enhancement for the AA defenses and it looks ok. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to use the datalink sharing between radar and AA assets and planes. TheSn4k3 is working on an improved entrance area at the bow. Ulisses is improving the 2nd deck rooms, though it's not clear yet if this work will be included in the next update or later.

• Like 3

Glad to hear even with USS Freedom, Your team is full force and committed to keeping the updates coming and that this is a mod that still will be receiving attention.  I know it has been well liked and used with our group.  Thanks again for all your work and contribution to the community.

Shrike

111_SOG_Shrike_Signature.png

• Like 2

Anyone familiar with the ILS configuration? With the new dynamic airport object, auto landing and AI landing seems to be within grasp (without massive scripts). So far I've derived from the Freedom's dynamicAirport_01_F the following object:

class DynamicAirport_01_F;
        class TTT_dynamicAirport: DynamicAirport_01_F {
                ilsDirection[] = {-0.5, 0.08, 3};
                ilsPosition[] = {-25, 150};
        };

This shows a nice landing hud for the Nimitz, when placed at the same position as the JDG_carrier_spawner (the Nimitz). The problem is, that the direction for landing is reversed, e.g. the autopilot tries to land from the bow. This unfortunately doesn't work... Any ideas how to revert the ilsDirection?

1 hour ago, TeTeT said:

Anyone familiar with the ILS configuration? With the new dynamic airport object, auto landing and AI landing seems to be within grasp (without massive scripts). So far I've derived from the Freedom's dynamicAirport_01_F the following object:

class DynamicAirport_01_F;
        class TTT_dynamicAirport: DynamicAirport_01_F {
                ilsDirection[] = {-0.5, 0.08, 3};
                ilsPosition[] = {-25, 150};
        };

This shows a nice landing hud for the Nimitz, when placed at the same position as the JDG_carrier_spawner (the Nimitz). The problem is, that the direction for landing is reversed, e.g. the autopilot tries to land from the bow. This unfortunately doesn't work... Any ideas how to revert the ilsDirection?

This seems too obvious but have you tried just reversing the numbers as they are in the brackets? so {3, 0.08, -0.5}... {150, -25}. 

Wouldn't that just swap the axes around? Position, I think, shouldn't be touched, while direction needs to have a sign changed on two of the three values. I don't know what coordinate system ArmA uses, but you need to flip "left-right" and "front-back" signs. The ultimate reason is that in default orientation (when spawned in editor, that is), the Nimitz has its bow point north, while Freedom points south. Thus, when taking data from Freedom, you have to rotate the runway direction 180 degrees. 

At least, that's assuming ArmA uses a "reasonable" coordinate system. Since I don't have experience with ArmA in particular (just with mathematics of coordinate transformations), it might use some bizarre coordinate system where what I said isn't true. The values suggest it's a vector or some sort, but I have no idea which number corresponds to which axis. Alternatively, it could be either Euler angles or a quaternion, which would require transforming the values in a different way.

If anyone can find some documentation for what exactly those numbers are, I can come up with an appropriate transformation.

I've pm'd @TeTeT a link that contains the relevant ILS stuff for setting them up on a terrain, the principles should be the same so here's hoping it's of use :)