Sign in to follow this  
zsawyer

@MumbleLink -A2OA/A3- mod for extended support of Mumble's positional audio feature

Introducing MumbleLink an open-source client-side Arma2OA and Arma3 mod to link with mumble natively.

It provides directional and positionally attenuated VOIP when using Mumble.

Download using Play withSix! (website)

Download BETA 3 as zip-file

Installation Notes

Change Notes

Head over to dev-heaven for more information.

Edited by zsawyer
now on PwS

pretty cool to see this release finally :)

nice job :bounce3:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===============================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks guys!

Foxhound, thanks for putting that up on Armaholic like you did, it is very much appreciated!

I updated the mod to explicitly also support Arma2OA

Download Beta 3

beta 3:

- NOTE: incompatible when others use beta 2

- added Arma2OA support

- fixed: losing link when in menu while ingame

PS: I am unsure whether I should also make a thread in the Arma2OA section. :?

Edited by zsawyer

Wow, how'd I miss this? :P Anyone want to share their experience with this? It doesn't quite replace acre (for no radios) but it might be a good start for something new, some day. I'd like to hear what people think, if anyone's actually tried it :P

Thanks for making this. A few guys I play Arma with use mumble so I took a look at the mumble wiki on how to make a plugin for a game. It was on my list of things to do but no I can cross it off my list. I will have to give it a try sometime. Nice thing about mumble it is open source so it has some potential that is overlooked compared to the other more common VOIP software. Makes me wonder though if radios on mumble would be possible?

I have the mod, and I have mumble. I copied the mod into the folder and added it to my launcher (I load lots of mods, trust me that this part was done right). Do I need to copy the dll file into the Mumble plugins folder? Even when I do, the plugin doesn't appear in Mumbles list of plugins so I can't change the parameters listed (min volume, max distance). The instructions are a little light, so could anyone advise how they got this to work?

Running ARMA2: CO 1.6.3

I have the mod, and I have mumble. I copied the mod into the folder and added it to my launcher (I load lots of mods, trust me that this part was done right). ...

The instructions are a little light, so could anyone advise how they got this to work?

Hi and thanks for trying this mod.

I have elaborated the instructions and updated the wiki page (even with screenshots).

Do I need to copy the dll file into the Mumble plugins folder?

It should already be inside your @MumbleLink folder, it is required. If it is not present, then yes, put it in there (Make sure you are using the one from an official link (dev-heaven is best).

See Troubleshooting for an example of the folder structure.

Even when I do, the plugin doesn't appear in Mumbles list of plugins so

The key of this mod is to not show up in the plugin list directly. Instead it uses the "Link v1.2.0" plugin. So "Link v1.2.0" needs to be there and enabled.

I can't change the parameters listed (min volume, max distance).

This is not done in the Plugins section but in Audio Output. See the new instructions Installation#Optional-Setup-for-better-immersion.

If you still have problems getting this to work, please post your ArmA log.

Aha, much better :) I, being clever (so I thought) turned off all of the built-in plugins so that the new one would stand out. I turned back on Link v1.2.0 and I did get ARMA2OA to link with Mumble. I have to wait a bit for someone else to come on to test it with me, but it looks promising. Thanks for the updated instructions - much clearer! :)

Update: Works very well. Some weirdness when two people are in the same HMMV, but sitting in a chopper it worked fine. Very nice - thanks! Instead of 70m and 0%, I set mine for 70m and 30% - that way I can *always* hear people, they're just really quiet if they're far away. We spend half our time talking about non-game stuff, so don't want to completely mute people just because they're far away.

The trick was trying to find an unmapped key for the channel shout (which also works perfectly)... between ARMA2 and ACE I think INS was the only unmapped key. :)

Edited by hmarcbower

Aha, much better :) I, being clever (so I thought) turned off all of the built-in plugins so that the new one would stand out. I turned back on Link v1.2.0 and I did get ARMA2OA to link with Mumble. I have to wait a bit for someone else to come on to test it with me, but it looks promising. Thanks for the updated instructions - much clearer! :)

Update: Works very well. Some weirdness when two people are in the same HMMV, but sitting in a chopper it worked fine. Very nice - thanks! Instead of 70m and 0%, I set mine for 70m and 30% - that way I can *always* hear people, they're just really quiet if they're far away. We spend half our time talking about non-game stuff, so don't want to completely mute people just because they're far away.

The trick was trying to find an unmapped key for the channel shout (which also works perfectly)... between ARMA2 and ACE I think INS was the only unmapped key. :)

Great, I am glad you have got it working now.

Customizing those output values is a good idea, that is why I explained what they do :)

The weirdness in the HMMV can be due to the 3rd person camera position. The voip will come from the avatar's position in the HMMV but if you are in 3rd person your "ears" are actually at the camera's position (but that is just how ArmA does it itself too). If it happened in 1st person it might be because of the fast movement speed combined with somewhat high ping to the mumble server. There is also a known concurrency issue with the link-plugin which I blame for these weirdnesses.

Also remember, you can bind mouse buttons to mumble as shortcuts (might be more convenient than pressing a button on the other side of the keyboard).

Hi zsawyer,

can you give me your source-code and structur? I wanna make a "@MumbleLinkAcre" Addon, so that the needed informations for radio-communications are ready to use for mumble.

regards

Hi zsawyer,

can you give me your source-code and structur? I wanna make a "@MumbleLinkAcre" Addon, so that the needed informations for radio-communications are ready to use for mumble.

regards

The code is open-source and available at http://dev.withsix.com/projects/mumblelink/repository . The license is LGPLv3 so you should be free to do what you want :)

I am sorry that it is not very well documented (e.g. I don't think the squint-file is up-to-date).

The LinkAPI is being developed at github and is still WIP.

The project mainly consists of 2 components:

1. The sqf is the ArmA mod code.

2. The natives assembles the DLL which is needed to write the data to the memory where mumble can pick it up. Look for the README for instructions on how to setup the compile script if you need to.

If you are interrested in how those two components communicate have a look at the natives_test for a simple sample/exemplary use of the callExtension paradigm.

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have. (I am often in the mumble-IRC channel, so you can ping me there too).

On the contrary I do not quite understand what exactly you are trying to achieve because to get radio effects to work you would have to implement a custom Mumble client afaik.

To get a crude radio functionality (more like channel separation) to work you would probably want to customize the server with something similar to Mumo (I elaborated this Idea for the Minecraft version of this mod here). The minecraft mod already implements an API for injecting custom context. I have this planned for this mod too but to be honest I don't see me doing it in the near future, yet, sorry.

Good Luck and do keep us updated about your progress :)

EDIT: If I am correct at thinking what you are trying to do then you might want to consider modifying _context and _identity at those lines (35-37).

Edited by zsawyer

I tried to receive a copy of your code, but got an error message:

git clone git://git.withsix.com/mumblelink
Cloning into 'mumblelink'...
fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported: /mumblelink

OR

git clone http://git.withsix.com/mumblelink
fatal: http://git.withsix.com/mumblelink/info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?

Any idea? As it is written on your side, Anonymous have sometimes the right to just read from git. Can you check this?

regards

I tried to receive a copy of your code, but got an error message:

git clone git://git.withsix.com/mumblelink
fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported: /mumblelink

OR

git clone http://git.withsix.com/mumblelink
fatal: http://git.withsix.com/mumblelink/info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?

Any idea? As it is written on your side, Anonymous have sometimes the right to just read from git. Can you check this?

regards

I am using

git@git.withsix.com:mumblelink.git

. Make sure you have the ".git" at the end. I think that's what my mistake was the first time too.

You can get the urls from http://dev.withsix.com/projects/mumblelink/repository . Let me know if that works, else I'll have to escalate it to kju.

Thanks,

git clone git@git.withsix.com:mumblelink.git

The authenticity of host 'git.withsix.com (81.30.150.242)' can't be established.

RSA key fingerprint is cb:65:bf:e5:28:34:d2:f2:72:3b:c9:4a:e0:29:d7:66.

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

Warning: Permanently added 'git.withsix.com,81.30.150.242' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

git@git.withsix.com's password:

Thanks,

i got the follwing message now:

git clone git@git.withsix.com:mumblelink.git

The authenticity of host 'git.withsix.com (81.30.150.242)' can't be established.

RSA key fingerprint is cb:65:bf:e5:28:34:d2:f2:72:3b:c9:4a:e0:29:d7:66.

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

Warning: Permanently added 'git.withsix.com,81.30.150.242' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

git@git.withsix.com's password:

;2615757']Would it be possible to bundle the download with a portable version of mumble? Or does this have security issues?

http://portableapps.com/node/25616

http://sourceforge.net/p/mumble/discussion/492607/thread/0a2bc9d5/

This is a great suggestion. I had the same idea lately but haven't come around to further think about it.

I am unaware of any security issues that might arise. This would have to be researched.

A cool fact is that this would also rid the users of the process of setting up mumble for the plugin as it could be preconfigured.

And maybe this can then be registered as an App in withSix.

.kju, do you have any hints for feldmaus or me on how to get him to be able to check the repo out as anonymous? thx