Mpstark

Articulate: Squad Voice Command Utility for Arma 3

Hi DeThiCa,

The default key release delay is actually 75ms, seems even that is a bit short for some people (especially with the team selection and assignment commands, for some reason those appear to present more of an issue than the rest). Generally I'd assume that the ArmA engine needs between 1 and 3 frames to detect the command and render the required menu, so if you are looking for the ideal delay for you then you can use the following equation to work it out.

delay = frames * 1000 / min_fps

As I said, I'd recommend choosing a value for frames of between 1-3 and then plugging in your minimum FPS. A good bet for minimum FPS would be somewhere overlooking a dense urban center like Kavala (they generally represent the greatest framerate hit) and then looking in the Video Configuration Menu to see your current FPS.

I have the same issue with the team command. In my case it will accept the "assign" command with no hitches. But the most I can make it do when saying "team red" for example, is what equates into pressing 'F5'. I've tried adjusting the key release delay to the max in a desperate attempt to get it to register and it still doesn't.

However the program registers the voice command. I don't think it's an in-game issue, there must be something in the program that has gone amiss. Maybe it has something with localization to do?. I'm using a keyboard with a Nordic layout/localization.

EDIT - On further investigation I figured out that by pressing and holding 'shift' as I issue a team select command it selects the whole team of that color.

So I assume it's using the shift+F1-F5 commands. And if that is the case then there might be an issue if the program sends one key at a time when it has to press both 'shift' and F1-F5 at the same time.

TL;DR - The program is sending the "team select" commands in separate-sequence rather than in combination-sequence. In other words: shift, then F1-F5. Rather than the required Shift+F1-F5

Edited by Goblinbutt
adding new information

same problem here but i reverted to version 0.2.3.0 and it has worked in this version before but i does not work now.. i don't know if it something with the new path or something.. in this old version i can't even assgn teams anymore..

iam using a nordic keyboard too, but in the old version everything used too work team assign and team selection.. with the newest version i could assign teams also but not select them same as you, havent tried the shift select yet.. but selecting teams is hmm 9,9 then 1-5 depending on wich team right? what changed??

iam using a nordic keyboard too, but in the old version everything used too work team assign and team selection.. with the newest version i could assign teams also but not select them same as you, havent tried the shift select yet.. but selecting teams is hmm 9,9 then 1-5 depending on wich team right? what changed??

I edited my post and added additional information, it doesn't have anything to do with localization after all :)

Thanks for reporting this Goblinbutt, I've since fixed it on the development branch so it should make its way into the next release. Appears I'd forgotten to update those specific commands when I made changes in v0.2.4, which ended up breaking the behaviour of multi-key presses.

You are correct in assuming that we're now using Shift+F_ to select teams, the alternative (9-9-_) would take an extended amount of time, resulting in lowered accuracy.

Love the program ,it really advances the experience.

I do have some problems with it :

First off ,some commands Articulate should know ,it doesn't understand or doesn't react to the commands given

And sometimes if given a vocal command it drops out of Arma back into Windows.

Am I doing something wrong ?

(microphone to hard on the sound pick-up and/or Microsoft Speech Recognition still in it's learning curve ? )

@Mac D I am sure they'll appreciate some specifics. Which commands were you giving? Were they in the list published with the program?

Commands like :

Assign team green

Team Green

Disembark

Advance

The only commands it takes direct respons to are all and squad.

I'm using the commands that have been posted on github.com/Mpstark/articulate/wiki/Commands

The problem seems to be with Microsoft Speech Recognition and not with Articulate ,I've bin trying the commands in Words to see if they were interpret correctly ,which there not

Speech Recognition interprets the given vocal commands wrongly , assign team green ends up as assigned three green.

Edited by Mac D

Okay ,got Articulate working (it takes about 80% of the commands)

Only regularly if I give a vocal command ,Arma switches to Windows ??

(Sort of Windows help page it switches to ... can't figure were this is coming from)

Okay ,got Articulate working (it takes about 80% of the commands)

Only regularly if I give a vocal command ,Arma switches to Windows ??

(Sort of Windows help page it switches to ... can't figure were this is coming from)

You mentioned windows speech recognition in the background. Why do you have this running if you`re using Articulate?

Speech Recognition doesn't has to run if you're using Articulate ??

Okay ,didn't know that...

Edited by Mac D

Speech Recognition doesn't has to run if you're using Articulate ??

Okay ,didn't know that...

Indeed. Articulate is it's own voice recognition software.

That`ll be the reason your game is minimizing. You`ll be saying certain things that the windows voice recog is interpreting as windows commands.

When will the next version be out? What's the prognosis? Nothing has happened for quite a while now and I'm getting impatient.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of replies, I've been away on holiday and still don't have access to my development machine. Hopefully I'll be in a position to make a release with the changes pending on the development branch (fixes the Shift+Fx - Team selection - keypresses) some time around the 20th of January - don't worry, the project is far from abandoned.

Thanks Festa_PWR for helping out with some of the questions, you're correct that Articulate doesn't require Microsoft Speech Recognition to be running, but it does use the same service, so using Microsoft Speech Recognition will result in better accuracy for Articulate.

Mac D, as you noticed, only a few commands can be issued on their own, Articulate has been designed to process a full command "set" (All watch east) rather than single command components - this is very different to the way other hotkey applications work and gives vastly better accuracy since Articulate knows that (All watch advance) isn't a valid command. If you're having issues with accuracy, my suggestion would be to attempt giving the commands as you would to a human player (without excessively long pauses in between command components) or adjust your Command Termination Delay in the settings.

In the mean time, I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays.

Regards,

Benjamin Pannell

Very nice! Still wonder about some sort of SDK, etc. that might allow the incorporation of custom commands? For instance I've been experimenting with gizzy46's COM MOD which attempts to simplify AI command with a mouse wheel GUI and some short cut keys. It has one interesting feature that if you point at a building you can order any/all selected units to clear that building with a single key press. Very clever and it works well. Being able to script something like that and bind it to an articulate command phrase would be very handy indeed.

Edited by Oktyabr

Is it possible to push out a quick update to fix the select team issue? I always use teams and it's hampering my usage a little bit.

Also another question further down the line. The way your program works, is it possible to implement phrases like this "3 target 3" or "7 heal 1". Stuff like that with the latter number corresponding to the number in the target or action menu?

Good work though. This is a really fantastic program in my opinion because I can drop the robot voice rythm and just speak normally. Thanks for your effort on this!

Just discovered this last night, works quite well so far, thank you very much! My first time using voice commands in Arma, always wanted to and when I saw this it looked the most simple, at least for the basic commands and commands I never use because trying to find the buttons is a pain while in combat! I got it to work a few minutes after I realised my mic wasn't the default comm device in windows anymore, boosted the mic input so I don't have to talk too loud and it mostly works well, it helps to train MS Speech and learn to talk into the mic properly! I get about 90% of stuff right the first time now.

Looking forward to the updates with the team select and movement fixes! :cool:

I'm no longer scared to command a squad, they used to just follow me around and die, but no more!!! 1, 4 Flank Left! 2 Supressing fire! :coop:

I love this app! Makes commanding a lot easier.

I don't know if this has been covered already. But it would be great if you could add the heal command when a medic is selected.

For instance if unit #2 is the medic and unit #3 is injured: "2 heal 3"

Now you still have to select the medic, point at the unit that is injured and select 1. Treat ...........

Update 0.2.5 Released

- Fixes the team selection issue

Comments

Sorry that it's taken so long to get this release out - I know it was in high demand but I simply didn't have access to my development system over the holidays and wasn't able to compile/test the latest version to make sure it worked.

I trust you've all had a good holiday nontheless, and just in time for the release of Campaign Episode 2: 'Adapt' here's the latest version of Articulate with the team selections feature fixed.

I'm still really busy getting things organized, and will be for the next week and a bit, but feel free to leave comments, bug reports and feature requests and I'll try my best to address those I can given my available time.

Edited by SPARTAN-563

Thanks Spartan!!! Just what I was looking for :)

Feature Request: Select the input Articulate listens on. I've recently been experimenting with different mic/headphone setups and currently have no fewer than three input options, although I only run one at any given time (on board sound card, USB audio, and a pro audio sound card).

Edited by Oktyabr

Hi!

Two things..

One:

I'm djotacon - the same of the translation to spanish -

Can you change my name in the frontpage from "octagon" to "otacon", please?... I like my nick.. and i'm not a polygon... :)

two

What is the state of the spanish translation? works spanish with the articulate?

I want to help with the main program but I don't know how.

thanks

@Oktyabr unfortunately it's quite a step from the existing implementation to being able to change the input devices. Microsoft has made using the default input device easy by providing a function which automatically uses the default, adding the extra functionality will require another library and increase the size of the program. Nonetheless, I've opened an issue on GitHub for it and I or someone else will take a look at it when we get the chance.

In the mean time, if you close down Articulate and switch your default input device you should be able to use it with any of your input devices (a bit more of a headache, I know).

@djotacon sorry about the name issue, I assume you are referring to the download page on GitHub - in which case I have fixed the spelling of your name. Please let me know if there's anywhere else that you find misspellings. To answer your second question - yes you can use Spanish, simply click the flag on the menu and choose Spanish from the drop down which appears.

Helping out can be done in many ways, your assistance with the translations has been invaluable and just testing new versions when they become available and reporting any issues you find is also a huge help.