Mpstark

Articulate: Squad Voice Command Utility for Arma 3

Articulate

(Squad Voice Command Utility for Arma 3)

What It Is:

Articulate is a custom written voice control program designed for ArmA. It makes controlling your squad simply a matter of saying what you wish them to do. We believe that voice commands are extremely intuitive, increase user immersion, and act much faster than the traditional Arma menu system.

For example, instead of having to remember that the Open Fire command for your whole squad is "~ 3 1" you can simply say "All, open fire".

Advantages:

Compared to other voice command options Articulate:

• Only accepts valid commands.
  • Doesn't require pauses between sections of a command.
  • Tailored to ArmA's command menu
  • Completely Free

Usage:

You will generally be able to use Articulate by giving the same commands your in-game character gives to his squad. This means that you are able to give commands like "Squad, Open Fire" and Articulate will understand exactly what you mean.

For a full list of available commands, take a look at the wiki. For more information on improving the accuracy of Articulate's speech recognition, read this page.

Future Development:

You can read more about some of the exciting new features which will be arriving by visiting the wiki's todo page.

Providing Feedback:

You can provide feedback to help improve Articulate by:

Download Development Preview

Edited by Mpstark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Windows 8 users (and maybe others) may have problems using the development preview. You may have to start the installer as admin and then have the installer start the application as admin. Or can can attempt to find the executable and run it as admin.

EDIT:

If you are running Arma 3 as admin, you must run this as admin. If you are not, then it will not require admin. Not sure about Windows 8 yet.

Edited by Mpstark

Is it possibile to make it work with more languages?

I mean, if someone give you more voice etc, I really don't know how this thing work, so forgive my ignorance.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

Yes; any language that is supported by the Microsoft Speech Input libraries is possible. The development preview doesn't have this ability yet and it will be an option later in development.

Yeah good, I will follow your progress, thank for this awesome tool.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

I love it when a new forum member drops a huge bomb like this. Awesome work, an amazing contribution to the Arma community!

Very nice .... much faster than other programs on the net! Good job. Will download the pre alpha and give it a go mate!

This has to be the best thing i have seen done to commanding. I hate the clunky menus, consider me a subscriber to this.

Beautiful Beautiful work man, I'm definitely using this. If only multi-player servers would accept ad-dons like this to be used by players especially when the mission that's running uses Automated Intelligence (AI).

This is fully supported by all MP servers since it isn't an addon/mod -- it simply emulates keypresses into Arma 3 based on what you are saying. If the MP mission allows for command of squadmates (i.e. you are a group lead) this will work just fine.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

There is a new Development Preview (v0.1.0.2) available.

There isn't much different other than some new links at the bottom for providing feedback and linking back to this forum post and the GitHub wiki as well as some better error reporting for errors on startup. There is a non-installer version available as well.

This has to be the best thing i have seen done to commanding. I hate the clunky menus, consider me a subscriber to this.

Second this.

There is a new version that allows non-English locales to try it out.

Could you please provide a little more instructions on were to place folders or how to operate this, I downloaded it to my desktop and ran it and all mics are up and working but get nothing in game, thanks.

It reminds me of Rainbow Six Vegas 2... Thanks for sharing! :)

Dirty Haz

There are two versions, one with an installer and one without. Either of them works. There is no setup beyond running the software -- if you get a white box with "Listening..." then it is listening to your default input device (the one in Windows).

Running Arma 3 in admin mode will prevent Articulate from emulating keyboard input unless Articulate is also run in admin mode.

Outstanding, I've been trying out VAC, GlovePIE, and a few others so I really look forward to trying this out. Thanks for putting this together. :yay:

Awesome work. Would love to give this a go but I am not very familiar with these applications. Can someone lend me a hand on how to make this work in game? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Figured it out. :)

Edited by GhostR3d

After trying out VAC I'm keen to give this a shot for the simple reason of being able to talk at normal speed and better voice recognition, thanks.

Very, very good for an early release. I run a rather eclectic sound setup and had my doubts whether or not it would really "just work"... and it really just does!

Have only tinkered with the latest release (v0.1.0.3?) and while not perfect, it's certainly usable. Assigning AI to teams, etc. seems to work well. Some commands like "fall in", "regroup", and all variations of *sometimes* work and other times stop at the menu without actually making the selection. At first guess it seems that it has something to do with how fast the words are articulated. As advertised, it DOES work without pauses (the majority of the time) but it seems as if I do intentionally pause for even a second longer than usual it misses whatever comes after the pause. Example: "red team halt" vs. "red team" + 1 second pause + "halt".

Regardless, call me "subscribed" ;)

cool stuff, look i am sure i am not the first one asking for this but i am going to ask anyways, is there a way instead of say "all", it can be implied with not group order given, i mean instead of say "all, regroup", you can say, "regroup" and the all is implied.

Does it make sense?

Have only tinkered with the latest release (v0.1.0.3?) and while not perfect, it's certainly usable. Assigning AI to teams, etc. seems to work well. Some commands like "fall in", "regroup", and all variations of *sometimes* work and other times stop at the menu without actually making the selection. At first guess it seems that it has something to do with how fast the words are articulated. As advertised, it DOES work without pauses (the majority of the time) but it seems as if I do intentionally pause for even a second longer than usual it misses whatever comes after the pause. Example: "red team halt" vs. "red team" + 1 second pause + "halt".

There will be an option for setting the timeout on commands. Sounds like you need it to be a little higher so that you can wait more between pieces of a command.

There is a list of available commands located here, "fall in", "regroup" are not actually recognized by the program.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

cool stuff, look i am sure i am not the first one asking for this but i am going to ask anyways, is there a way instead of say "all", it can be implied with not group order given, i mean instead of say "all, regroup", you can say, "regroup" and the all is implied.

Does it make sense?

This will be included in a future version.

There will be an option for setting the timeout on commands. Sounds like you need it to be a little higher so that you can wait more between pieces of a command.

There is a list of available commands located here, "fall in", "regroup" are not actually recognized by the program.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Excellent case for more alias' to the actual commands too. I know I had it working once or twice so I must have stumbled across "form up" but isn't "regroup" what it actually says on the menu?

I also have problems with getting a unit/team to move where I want them to. I've tried saying it fast, slow, with pause, without pause, I get it to work maybe 10% of the time.

Great work so far! I'm a touch typist but struggle with the number row for some reason. Your application should make handling AI MUCH more fluid, much easier.

And how about a time limit to complete too? I know that if I mess up a command sequence I am left with a menu open (often not even the correct one) and have to start over by first finding the Backspace key or by deselecting units/team(s) by repeating "All", which just seems sort of artificial. Even a spoken command for "Backspace", perhaps "Cancel" and/or "Belay that order" or similar might be handy to have... or a rather short time out period, where if the command isn't completed it automatically (switchable in options?) cancels their attention out... since it won't let you just say "form up" after several seconds wait.

Hoping you work on macros too. Then it will get really exciting!

Edited by Oktyabr