Sign in to follow this  
piedebeouf

Arma2nitmitz

you should upload it to armaholic for arma 3 when finished :)

he can only distribute if it has been confirmed by the originals creator to do so, if not then he is required by the forums and armaholic to not distribute, ports require modders permission

he can only distribute if it has been confirmed by the originals creator to do so, if not then he is required by the forums and armaholic to not distribute, ports require modders permission
In the event that said original can be contacted... mind you, the original's creator did ask soon after the alpha release if anyone was interested in just that:
Hi everyone,

Just logged in today for the first time in many months and have finished responding to a bunch of PMs from people, all about the Nimitz. Though some of them were from months ago, some forum members have offered to "fix up" or "upgrade" the Nimitz and get it working right again, and possibly add to it. So, assuming people still actively use this old ship and do have an interest/ability to help with it, I'd like to open up a brief discussion about that. Who knows, might not get any replies to this from someone who can and wants to.

If anyone DOES actually want to try and work on improving this addon, and you think you have both the time and knowledge to do so, please post here. Obviously I don't want to just hand it out to anyone so please mention what you'd plan on doing with it and if you do actually have any experience with modding ARMA. If we do find someone, I'll give them the source model files and permission to update it for the community. Here's hoping someone out there is up to it!

piedebeouf did request said permission:
Hello , JDog hope you can read this post , just want to keep alive a dream the Nimitz in Arma 3 . I 'm not a great scripting. But i can refix some script , work again the zodiac , put some light again on the deck . Try to re-texturing nimitz crew . Try to have a tractor towing . With a little time , i could arrive to this . I'm chek try . Just want your agreement ? Hope i could decide you to change your mind. And become again the captain of the Nimitz ..
No idea if JDog responded though, as this was months after JDog had last posted on the forums.

hello ,

yes I read this but the post that you have put here is in arma 2 forum .

I send several message to JDOG : no response the first private message was in Jully . And no answer to this day seem to be out of arma , out of this forum . So if anyone could contact him , that make me happy .

But in the case I have no sing of Jdog , I only uptade script and texture ( like writing in the manual addons of Nimtiz ) and no touch of the p3d model . Just touch script and texture .

So if anyone want's to help us it's welcome . ( and it's normal that all the credit it's toward JDOG) .

Thanks a lot for your help

I have no interest to hijack Jdogs good work on the Nimitz. I'm impressed by the many functions and possibilities he added to the vessel. From the readme it states that all scripts and textures are under the CC share alike license. So there should be no problem to polish the scripts so they work in Arma3 as well. Mind you, the few changes I made to the scripts are just patches, this is not even a derivative work.

Anyway, here a video on the working of the Nimitz in Arma3 with CBA and the F/A-18 on a dedicated server. Some issues with missing/duplicated actions, but otherwise quite workable:

If you're interested in the sample mission for this, PM me.

Some technical detail: the Nimitz uses a dozen or so global variables to tell the states of the various subsystems to the game world. As these globals are manipulated at times by a few scripts rather than one, so it is a bit difficult to determine the state of the overall system. The main interface to the vessel are the different action menu entries, that get added to players and objects upon init and at times later on. However there are some variables in objects that are queried by the scripts of the Nimitz, so it is possible to exclude planes or other objects from getting the actions added, I believe.

Well, he's been active since July. He was here in August, I do believe. No reply =/= yes.
Last message in his post history dates back to almost the end of June, basically just after the beta.

Last message in his post history dates back to almost the end of June, basically just after the beta.

Doesnt matter, he could be busy with other things like an official port of the Nimitz and his queen Elizabeth addons, so i would find another way to contact him.

Towing support for the F-18 and the UGV has been added. Only the UGV B_UGV_01_F is supported right now. The towing is a bit bumpy, the plane doesn't follow the UGV smoothly, so drive carefully. Scripts available at http://tspindler.de/arma/changedScriptsConfigs.zip.

2013-10-08 Work on towing
- dll_tow\bbox.sqf, dll_tow\tow.sqf
	- Changed RoadCone to RoadCone_F for debugging
- dll_tow\config.sf
	- Added entries for UGV and F/A-18E and F
- dll_tow\tow.sqf
	- Removed nil = call
2013-10-06 Work on duplicated actions
- client_deckChecks.sqf
	- add check for kindof plane before adding any action
	- add check for actionId before launch action
2013-10-05 Some changes for running Nimitz on a dedicated server
- client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Added initialization for 'NimitzPlanes', when mission does
	not define it
	- Changed exitWith{} to waitUntil as the first seems to break
	on dedicated server
	- Script does no longer run on dedicated server
	- hasActions and Cat_Action in objects is a public variable now
	- wait until player is alive before script is run - probably
	does not work either, as player is undefined during
	multiplayer here according to BIS wiki
- init.sqf
	- make nimCableReady a public variable
- client_sounds.sqf, arrest2.sqf, arrestRemovehandler.sqf,
arrestAddHandler
	- do not run on dedicated server
- sys_ordnance.sqf
	- use variable 'nimTractors' for tractor detection, remove
	call to nearestObjects
- sys_ordnance_fill.sqf, elevator.sqf
	- try to change tractor type to UGV
2013-10-03 / 3 Fix Zodiacs
- config.cpp
	- Changed spawn height of Zodiac to align with floor
	- Removed destroying Zodiac after recovery, can be reused again
	- Changed "boat" to "nimBoat"
2013-10-03 / 2 Fix Zodiacs
- config.cpp
	- Changed "Zodiac" to "B_Boat_Transport_01_F"
	- Introduced new global variable "boat" to make zodiac
	deployment and recovery possible again
- scr/zodiacBoard.sqf, scr/zodiacDismount.sqf, scr/zodiacDown.sqf,
	- Removed use of nearestObject, use new global "boat"
- scr/zodiacUp.sqf
	- use "vehicle player" instad of nearestObject, unclear how
	this affects multiplayer
2013-10-03 Fix catapults
- scr/fx_steamShot.sqf
	- Changed _particle again to smoke.p3d
- scr/fx_steamCharge.sqf
	- Changed _particle as in fx_steamShot.sqf
- scr/client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Changed nearestObjects for planes to vehicle player for
	performance and also reliability. nearestObjects does not work
	perfectly anymore
	- Added actions to vehicles in NimitzPlanes unconditionally
		- Breaks the automatic addition of these actions when
		doing more than one sortie
- config.cpp
	- Changed font from bitstream to puristaLight
2013-10-02 Start conversion for arma3
- Removed xtra_crew/config.bin as the base class is no longer
available
- config.cpp
	- Changed CfgFactionClass to NATO
	- Changed faction in JDG_carrier_Spawner to BLU_F
	- Removed model ca\misc\empty
	- Added coefSpeedInside (2) and windSockExist (0) to
	JDG_carrier_nimspots
- scr/init.sqf
	- Changed HeliHEmpty to Land_HelipadEmpty_F
- scr/client_deckChecks.sqf
	- Initialized deckCheck ("") 
	- Initialized global variables for catapults (nimCat?FX)
- scr/fx_steamShot.sqf
	- Considered making first check for ObjNull instead of 0
	- Changed _particle to a3 particle model
	- Changed jet to local _jet in while loop
- scr/client_sounds.sqf

Edited by TeTeT
nicer formatting for changelog

I would like to thanks a lot TeTeT who did the all of work . Thanks a lot really enjoyed with this addons good job again

Hello guys,

Foxhound was kind enough to send me an email alerting and directing me to this thread. First off, I apologize for being away from these forums for so long. Been quite busy with other games and life things. I'm happy and honored to see the community is still enjoying the Nimitz, to the point some people like TeTeT have taken the time to properly port it over to A3. When making it I really didn't think it would carry on so long.

I'm sorry if there's been any confusion in the mix of my posts on the matter along with the notices in the readme, but I'm perfectly fine with and glad for others to take the reigns on the Nimitz and keep it alive and useful for the community. I've honestly had PMs from quite a few different people both offering to work on the Nimitz, as well as some more recent ones in the last month or two from those like TeTeT who have already done so and were asking for permission to distribute it.

So that it's clear, TeTeT has permission to work on porting and improving the Nimitz for the community, and its perfectly fine to distribute those fixes and even overwrite the version already on Armaholic, if that makes it easier/less confusing for the community.

I'd also like you guys to know that I've previously transferred the source files to two other people on the forums as well to work on, both for their respective "squads"/groups, with the understanding they would have forwarded back to me any fixes so that it could be shared with the community. Though I've not heard any news yet, so this shouldn't be a problem. I just would hate if there were multiple versions of the same addon going around and confusing people. So for now, though anyone is free to modify it for their own personal/group use, perhaps only TeTeT should be distributing his updates for it. Maybe at some point those who have worked on it can get together and discuss merging fixes to provide the best addon for the community.

I hope this clears up my feelings on use of the Nimitz, I'll try to get back to checking these forums more often as well.

PS. Thanks for the support of the mod, really makes it feel like a lot of time well spent.

@JDog

Don't sweat it man, you're not a developer, people can't expect you to be working on Arma all the time. You're a gamer like everyone here and that gives you the right to play whatever you want ;). Nevertheless you did a stellar job with the Nimtiz on Arma 2, and I'm secretly hoping that you would consider carrying on that work into Arma 3.

Thanks for the update JDog.

Btw all, I assume we won't be overwriting the A2 version ..... That would be bad :)

EDIT

@kgino

Depends, do you have a 24 or 27inch monitor?

Shoudn't carreir much bigger then this?
It seems about right to me, and I served on one for 4 years. Even if it's not exactly right, it is game appropriate.

It seems about right to me, and I served on one for 4 years. Even if it's not exactly right, it is game appropriate.
This... I recall that the Nimitz mod is actually multiple objects stuck together due to the Arma 2 engine's limits (according to RKSL-Rock, nominal geometry envelope limit of 50 meters, absolute maximum limit of 60 meters horizontally -- Suma and Icewindo said that there's way more leeway vertically) but I don't recall just how much if at all the limit was increased by*, but presumably nowhere near Nimitz's real-life 330+ meters, and it seems like Nimitz was a good-faith (as in "as best as could be within engine limitations") effort scale-wise.

* It was increased for VBS2 by an unspecified amount... but that was paid for by both the Royal Navy and the Royal Australian Navy.

Just to throw it out there, the Nimitz is indeed modeled at 1,092 feet in deck length, or 333 meters. You could probably write some small script to check distance between an object at the fore and aft ends of the deck, should be about that.

I think it would be cool if this could become a community project, with work being split up and farmed out to volunteers. Besides the functionality of the scripting, I think there's a bunch of texturing work that could be improved. Also, having a way to change the hull number without disassembling the pbo would be amazing.

Hello,

like i write everyone is welcome to keep this The Nimtiz alive in Arma3 , and also Jdog want also .

People who want to help us is welcome , if you have ideas , script's , texture ...... And Perhaps the peapole Who making plane addon's could participate , for hook , fold ( think about helico) .By the way is there a command or possibilities to fold MH 49 , blackhawk....

There are a lot of work but , you have seen the job that Jdog make and other people for the Nimtiz .It's wonderfull .

Could someone making textures and model for the Nimtz crew ( Arma 3 new version ?)

Hope also Jdog , Gnat could help us again ans give some advises ... ??? Hum perhaps i ask to much ....:o

Thanks JDog for the post here, I really appreciate you took the time to reply :)

Gnat;2529961']Thanks for the update JDog.

Btw all' date=' I assume we won't be overwriting the A2 version ..... That would be bad :)[/quote']

Don't worry, I will not replace the Arma 2 version on Armaholic cause many A2 users will love to still be able to use it. I will just add the A3 version to the A3 download section ;)

@TeTeT, is it possible you provide a proper addon package with your config edit now that you have his permission to release this? Just so the "normal" users can throw in the addon and have fun with it in A3 instead of having to work with the pbo files themselves? I can than make a proper downloadpage on Armaholic about it.

Edited by Guest
corrected my spelling of your name!

Thanks for the heads up, JDog. I'll check the scripts this week once more and see that they work nicely in Arma3 singleplayer. I still get a missing bmp.p3d object error on start, which hopefully can be fixed eventually. I guess then it would be a good time for a preview release for Arma3 with the updated scripts and the lights.

Once that is done, I'd be interested in writing a reset script for the CV to re-initialize the systems, in case they get stuck. After that remaining issues with multiplayer on hosted and dedicated need to be addressed.

For example, the towing on dedicated and probably on hosted is not working correctly. The plane being towed seems to 'belong' to the server and will snap back into place after detaching (and looking weird during towing). When the player that tows enters the plane, it seems to work nicely. I guess the locality of the plane changes when a crew member enters. Is there a way to force the locality of the towed plane to be the same as the towing script? Or would the script need to run on the server instead?

On the CV textures, it would be great if new hull textures could be found that give the vessel a slightly weathered look, like here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/026800.jpg. Also it would be awesome to re-decorate at least one of the interior rooms for briefings, maybe an air operations room and a naval operations room.

T

I think it would be cool if this could become a community project, with work being split up and farmed out to volunteers. Besides the functionality of the scripting, I think there's a bunch of texturing work that could be improved. Also, having a way to change the hull number without disassembling the pbo would be amazing.
Hmm, the thing is that JDog's post reports that some of his PMs were requests for permission to distribute by those who'd already done work on the Nimitz mod, so if anything I'd want some degree of "putting everyone in touch with one another" so that they could hash out what work was already redundant and what could be incorporated into... well, TeTeT's release, since TeTeT is the only one named as permitted to do a public release, so it sounds like JDog's left the choice to cooperate (or if so then the degree of cooperation) with anyone else solely up to TeTeT.

Fortunately, TeTeT does seem to have something of a roadmaps with a sequential progression of development priorities, so as much as I would like JDog to get these modders (who had been seeking permission to distribute) in touch with TeTeT so that they can indeed collaborate, I wish TeTeT the best on his seeming head-start! :lol:

Although, whether or not this became "a community thing", I'd also want the support-from-modders to include even more documentation, i.e. the exact scripting command(s)/init line(s) for placing stuff (vehicles, units, objects) onto the flight deck, in the hangar deck or other interior spaces, i.e. getting to the "Zodiac station" to utilize the boats, where exactly does one have to put stuff within interior spaces to correspond (since we're still lacking a proper 3D editor), what affects what so to speak as far as the init lines or scripting commands will do... and maybe some more "how to" documentation for players, whether for take off/landing or for stuff as simple as operating the towing UGV. (I admittedly ask this because of all the times that I have to look up the syntax for setPosASL to place stuff onto ship decks!)

@ TeTeT: If I may so inquire, beyond the above (what I'd be looking for as far as supporting documentation), I would like to ask three things:

#1: Is there any way that you can 'properly' configure the Nimitz-class carrier to be able to trap incoming aircraft without them necessarily having to be "individually" compatible with the carrier? For example, with the unmodified Arma 2 Nimitz I was able to trap the Arma 3 F/A-18E/F (at least using All in Arma) but not the Rafale M from Arma 2's Operation Frenchpoint... so I would find it preferable if there's a way that the Nimitz-class mod can do a trap for any incoming fixed-wing aircraft with gear down and touching down within the wires at the appropriate angle and airspeed, and definitely any that does so with a lowered tailhook!

#2: Any way that you can get the carrier to support acting as a/the runway for the purposes of landing autopilot and "normal Arma 3 line-up lines on the HUD", in a way where such can be irrespective of the carrier's Azimuth? I ask this since right now in my testing both of these always default(ed) to the Stratis Air Base runway -- but only from the south! -- meaning that for the Nimitz I was having to run CBA_A3 and AiA in order to get access to the Arma 2 Nimitz's IFLOLS...

#3: Any plans for fleshing out the interiors beyond air ops, naval ops, hangar, Zodiac station? Because if I could nominate what I'd most want to be able to get into onboard a Nimitz-class CVN in Arma, I would have to say... Pri-Fly!

Hello all ,

Don' forget who make the start thead ..... And go slowly TeTeT have done a nice work , but don't ask too much .All are welcome to put in commun script's ideas , textures , modding .... layout ....

If you have specific talents , please post here contact me or TeTeT , i transmet him . If nobody , i could dispatch the works . And Jdog perhaps supervising the all content ...

So let a little time to TeTeT .

And if someone could make :

- towing tractor

- nitmitz crew

- new hull , and deck texture

- new projet for the command center

- add lunch boat on the back

- script of towing how could be better ? have ideas script's

You want more ideas ? i have plenty .

thanks also Chortles.

I reply to the post of BadHabitz .