Tom_48_97

Poseidon: advanced text editor for Scripts & Configs

280_5c0d9b04f982b2bb.jpg

This is a complete script tool suite Bohemia Interactive's game engine used in ARMA II and ARMA 3. Poseidon Tools supports all text files (Scripts & configs) used by the Real Virtuality.

Initially, this project was named "BI PTE" (BI Plain Text Editor) and was renamed Poseidon Tools when it was publicly released, in august 2013. So, the name, Poseidon Tools, is a tribute to the very first version of the Real Virtuality engine, "Poseidon", which is the base of all the Arma series.

Latest announcement: Version 0.994.211

Features

• Project management
  • Instant Project Switch
  • Distraction Free Mode and full screen
  • Split Editing (Can display up to four file on the same screen)
  • Auto Completion (based on commands and existing text in the file)
  • Current and parent brackets highlight
  • Persistent sessions
  • Snippets (eg: file header, control structures, game functions etc…)
  • Syntax highlighter (for SQF (from ofp to arma 3), SQM, HPP, CPP, EXT…)
  • Full support of SQF & SQS, XML, Cpp, CFG, RPT
  • Can open RPT from the menu (Arma 3, Arma 3 diagnostic, Arma 2…)
  • Can open SQM, BIEDI with Arma 3
  • Magic key F8
  • File diff
  • Support of Mikero Tools
  • Support of Arma 3 Tools
  • Refresh the opened files everytime you get back to it
  • Macro creation
  • Documentation link
  • and so on…

Notes

Download

Thanks

• Sublime Text devs, JonBons, Yourry, RawLine, Arma3.fr, Bohemia Interactive, The community, Arma2-wiki.fr, Armaholic, Arto, Tigerforce, Colin T.A. Gray, Will Bond, Lord, Noubernou, Mikero, Private Nelson, Sho

Edited by Tom_48_97 ☠
new update (rev 211)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

ssechaud:

It planned but nothing will be done until ST 3 is in Beta. (Some stuff is ported and validated)

Poseidon is still in Beta and from what I saw of ST3, porting now... would be painful regarding the plugins in progress. I need to get a clear view of the issues, without bother me of ST bugs itself. I prefer porting from a clean & bug free version, better for me and lets the users with a functional version in the meantime.

super-truite:

Cheers! By the way, the braces highlighter still needs to be improved but for now, it works. Feel free to tell me what should be edited from your point of view. In other words... Feedback :)

I noticed that when I had description.ext open some commands where incorrectly highlighted, being partially blue and white. The commands I noticed with this problem where: playerCountMultipleOf, respawndelay, respawnDialog, allowFunctionsLog, enableDebugConsole. I also noticed diag_log is white, I am assuming all commands are to be blue. Also would it be possible to have _local/global variables a slightly different colour?

Edited by ssechaud

aPerfectMisterMan: Yes and no. One of the highlights of Poseidon is to be light and quick to start etc... The auto-completion is triggered with what you entered previously, snippets and commands. Basically, the more you use a word, the more the auto-completion will suggest you this one. With a strong naming convention, it should be ok.

To be clear, yes, it's possible, but catching all the names from the SQM can be painful for some computers and slowed Poseidon because a SQM can be a very large file. In consequence, I've to say: no, to preserve compatibility and performance for slow & old computers even if I like the idea :(

ssechaud: I already noticed that and since description.ext can accept a lot of data, I think I'm going to merge Config and EXT scripts. For global / local variables, here what I planned to do:

• Global variable: let it in white color, not just because it's the easier way, also because it's virtually impossible if a constant is function or a variable etc...
  • Local variable: As you may have noticed, local magic variables (eg: _x, _grp, _forEachIndex ...) are highlighted in bold green. In 0.57, I've also stringtable entries in bold green, so here the choices:
    • Do I have to make local variable in bold green ?
    • Do I need to make another color for user defined local variable ?
    • ...something else ?

An update of Poseidon will come quickly, maybe today if I find the time. Like I said before, Poseidon already meets requirements of original users (including me), all the rest is based on feedback developed for the community: you ;)

Edited by tom_48_97
Global vars

I noticed a weird bug: when using the search function on the BIKI (Alt+E), the results are less good than when you type yourself in the search bar???

Repro:

Type "movingenable" in poseidon, hit Alt+E. Here it shows "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs.".

While if you type movingenable in the search toolbar directly on the website, you get two entries.

It was working fine with the previous version (0.55) if I remember correctly.

Hello,

Today, it's patch day, Poseidon is now in version 0.57.229. I strongly recommend you to perform a clean install of Poseidon, keeping data from the version 0.56 (and previous) can provoke issues ! If you still want to keep data from previous versions, (eg: sessions), read this before.

As usual, if you have any issues, suggestions or just want to say thanks (yeah, it's possible too), use this topic ;)

There won't be any update before the 10th of October, my planning is overbooked, so, no time for community stuff.

Until Armaholic updates the link & download page, you can get the latest version here: poseidon.arma3.fr or there tom4897.info

This update mainly includes the following points:

• FIXED: control structures get a {} if typed, but not the trailing ;
  • FIXED: Time to time, the auto-indent screw up (once again...)
  • ADDED: Colorization for localized strings in EXT files (non encapsulated or with "" or '')
  • CHNGD: For loop now triggered by "forspec"
  • FIXED: Forspec was using _x instead of _i (and can now include a forEach)
  • FIXED: Can't switch to case condition with tab while adding a case with snippets
  • CHNGD: Documentation search restored as it was in 0.55
  • CHNGD: Better support of ext files
  • CHNGD: Search system optimized
  • CHNGD: animation when expanding or collapsing folders disabled for better performances with large projects
  • ADDED: Snippet for common RGB colors (enter RGB_ to see all available colors include the user defined (RGB_USERPROFILE))
  • ADDED: Snippet for common RGBA colors (with alpha) (enter RGBA_ to see all available colors include the user defined (RGBA_USERPROFILE))
  • ADDED: Unsaved files are easier to find in tabs
  • FULL CHANGELOG

by the way, something goes wrong at the compilation, the two firsts features are not available for now, probably in version 0.59 or 0.60.

Use it, share it, like it and... send feedback & suggestions!

I noticed a weird bug: when using the search function on the BIKI (Alt+E), the results are less good than when you type yourself in the search bar???

Repro:

Type "movingenable" in poseidon, hit Alt+E. Here it shows "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs.".

While if you type movingenable in the search toolbar directly on the website, you get two entries.

It was working fine with the previous version (0.55) if I remember correctly.

This has been fixed, I restored the behavior from the 0.55, you're right, it was better before... well, until 0.57 :p
Thank you for your work, Tom. Will check it out and compare it with all-mighty Notepad++! :))
You're welcome, don't hesitate to push your feedback!

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This is so cool! I'm finally weaned off notepad++ and editors with light coloured backgrounds!

One feature request... on the tabs for each open file, right click brings up context menu with operations for that file, it's doesn't have the option to "save file" there. That'd be very useful. :)

Thanks for the "short" feedback. Today I worked a bit on the next update and here something I never asked... I just wonder what kind of syntax (see screenshot) do you prefer ?

By default, I used the one of the right for the snippets, but maybe people prefer the other? So, I'm looking for the opinion of the community ! (even if I guess I won't have so much answers)

right = syntax 1 and left = syntax 2

280_thumb_bis_930d9870794032e3.jpg

@Tankbuster: If I understood your request, you want a tab context menu with more options, but what kind, aside"save"? (may be "reopen with UTF 8bits encode", "clone current file (to switch to another view)")

@Tankbuster: If I understood your request, you want a tab context menu with more options, but what kind, aside"save"? (may be "reopen with UTF 8bits encode", "clone current file (to switch to another view)")

Yes, exactly that. A context menu on the file tab. I'd be wary of filling it full of dozens of options, but save would certainlt be funky

Left, syntax 2 is more concise. This mostly down to personal preference, might be best to leave it open for people to choose.

Thanks for sharing Poseidon with us! I've got a problem with file association, but hey that is what we're used to with Windows :( File associations has always been the darkest side of windows...

1. I've put Poseidon under c:\Program Files (x86)\Poseidon\.

2. start cmd as administrator

3. cd to c:\Program Files (x86)\Poseidon\run_once\

4. start assoc_all_with_poseidon.bat

5. A typical reg import box appeared, I clicked yes, cmd said its all fine...

My .sqf was associated with npp before, now after 4. it is unassociated. Win7pro x64. No real problem as there are enough ways, just wanted to let you know.

@ssechaud

Firstly, for new users, I thought the expended syntax was better but, since it includes a good bracket highlighter, I think I can switch to the other. For the moment, there is ± 100 predefined statements, but the soft is still in beta and the final version will include ± 200 or 300 statements, so I've to admit I don't want to write both syntax, too much work for too less time for now.

@Tankbuster

I agree with the fact the menu must stay short but I really don't know what kind of actions add.... So, I'll see what I can do. For the moment, save action was added in 0.58+.

@tortuosit

I think the issue comes from the parent folder name because it contains parenthesis, and that's can be the reason why the script fails to determine the path. I'll fix this later but, in the meantime I invite you to make a try with another location (free of special characters), like c:\Program Files \Poseidon\ or something like that.

Hi, nice to see this is still in development.

In description.ext file, I've noticed some unusual highlighting:

• backslash + trailing letters within strings are either pink text or yellow text with magenta background. Copy and paste "\a \b \c \d \e \f \g \h \i \j \k \l \m \n \o \p \q \r \s \t \u \v \w \x \y \z"
  • individual letters h w x y z are cyan

Also save on focus lost is on by default, is there a way to turn this on/off as user prefers?

Will try it out a bit more tomorrow :)

Edited by ceeeb

I noticed that opening the arma 3 log from the menu now opens the MP log instead of the RPT file.

@Ceeeb: Of course it's still an ongoing project :)

About mission config files, there is a plenty of issues, I think I'm going to rewrite the all, maybe for the next update or the one after.

For the auto save, actually no, at least, not easily. The configuration utility is still in development, this kind of settings will be included. On this point, I admit I've no idea about an ETA :/

@ssechaud: The fact is the script just scan find and scan the log folder and select the most recent because A3 generate a new log file on each start-up. I can force it to select a game log (not a server log nor the mpStatistics)

Where does it store its settings (didn't find it e.g. under %appdata%)...? I want to change the font to consolas but honestly the task to find out how to change it was too hard for me. Sublime Text documentation leads me to the "Preferences"-Menu, which does not exist in Poseidon.

Like I wrote earlier, Poseidon is a fork from ST, but with many changes. The fact is because of external references and plugins, I edited the structure. If you are with the version 0.57+, you will find this setting in Poseidon\Data\Packages\Default\, file Preferences.sublime-settings, line 8, replace this line by: "font_face": "Consolas",

Note: this won't be applicable to the 0.58 nor 0.59, the folders structure continues to change, also, the default font will reverse to consolas in 0.58 :)

BTW, did you try another location than c:\Program Files (x86)\ about the file assoc?