tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

+1 ^^^

ive also noticed... the civ cars and some animals ponder onto airport runways etc :(

Well done on bringing the still woman-less child-less Altis more to life than ever. Now my fly-overs are much more interesting

+1 ^^^

ive also noticed... the civ cars and some animals ponder onto airport runways etc :(

That's why he gave us exclusion objects

tpw, would you by any chance hardcode in your CIV and CARS mod some basic exclusion zones? Like runways and military installations throughout Stratis and Altis. Another idea would be to limit on foot civilians only in cities and towns!

Yay!

Agree that perhaps a hardcoded area of the military base and runway. Running the addon we can't add them. However I do want to see cars in cities and towns - sorry Gliptal.

Agree that perhaps a hardcoded area of the military base and runway. Running the addon we can't add them. However I do want to see cars in cities and towns - sorry Gliptal.
My bad, I didn't explain myself correctly: what I'm proposing is that on foot civilians could be spawned only inside towns and cities and around their general area. Cars would spawn everywhere!

Yay!

tpw, would you by any chance hardcode in your CIV and CARS mod some basic exclusion zones? Like runways and military installations throughout Stratis and Altis. Another idea would be to limit on foot civilians only in cities and towns!

Yay!

I would love that too!

noticed a couple things: one, that the radio mod affects civilian vehicles. Not sure if intended or not. The other is that it also affects static weapons? Possibly only the automated ones.

And because you're just the most popular guy out there, have you thought of adding a smoke/fire effect to damaged or destroyed buildings?

bug reports are never complete unless you make your own selfish requests, you see.

Hi everyone. Here's the story regarding exclusion:

1 - Ambient civs only spawn where there are enough habitable houses (white walls, red roof, intact doors and windows). This means towns. @Gliptal you'll never see a civ out in the middle of nowhere, or even in a one donkey town with only 1 white house. You can add exclusion objects to prevent them from spawning in towns if you like.

2 - Ambient animals spawn anywhere, but can be excluded to keep them off runways, away from bases etc

3 - Cars spawn where there are enough road segments near the player (default 100 segments within 1km radius). If you are in the middle of nowhere on a single track, you may not see a car. Cars can be excluded to keep them off runway, bases etc

4 - Boats only spawn onto water. There is no exclusion, but I will prevent them from spawning at night

5 - Flyby aircraft spawn several kilometers away from the player in a random direction. There is no exclusion, just disable it or set the flyby time to something large.

I'm hesitant to hard code exclusion zones. a) it's lots of work and b) I can guarantee that someone has a scenario that includes civs at an abandoned bases or something similar and will bitch about it.

@artemas the ambient radio should not be playing in civ vehicles. Unless there's been some classname changes which are negating my list of excluded classes. I will look at excluding statics and parachutes as well.

Hi everyone. Here's the story regarding exclusion:

I'm hesitant to hard code exclusion zones. a) it's lots of work and b) I can guarantee that someone has a scenario that includes civs at an abandoned bases or something similar and will bitch about it.

The lots of work aside, you could add "inclusion" zones instead. That way if a mission designer needed it, they could designate an unpopulated area to spawn civs. Would be perfect for refugee zones, or post-disaster mods that need wandering civilians in specific rural zones. Polish the underlying script while providing another feature. But again, that ignores the hard work, and I can definitely relate to not having enough time, energy, or drive to do something like that. Specially when we can all agree that, with the way it works now, it'd be fixing something that isn't necessarily broken.

One thing I can say with certainty is that your work is amazing, tpw. Thanks a ton for giving it to the community.

Edited by TheCapulet
grammar

TPW MODS v20130922:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20130922.zip

Changes

[RADIO 1.02] Ambient radio not played in/near static weapons or parachutes.

[bOATS 1.15] No boats spawned between 2000 - 0500.

[FALL 1.17] Improved parachute handling - no deafening landing sounds from any type of parachute.

Working on the parachute stuff for fall has made me realise how annoying it is that there is no wind noise for freefalling. I'm having no luck playing any of the CfgEnvSounds wind entries using playmusic though. I can play them with playsound3d but the player just falls away from the sound. If anyone knows how to attach a sound to a moving object then I'm all ears (pun intended).

Edited by tpw

Parachutes are terrible right now. Ugh. Amen brother. Too quiet when in freefall; and animation landing into water is comical. Plays "land walking" when splash down.

Also MP parachutes are absolutely dreadful. I have to set player damage false for every jump or we die 90% of the time on impact... Anyway...

Still amazing work, thanks for all your stuff! Checking this thread every day. Waiting for someone to ask: "Can you just add everything into your mod?" :cc:

It might be that i just didn't notice it. But it appears that none of the animals make any sound. Wouldn't it be nice for the ambients to sometimes hear a dog barking or the let the chickens make noise? The same might a nice addition for vehicles, for example when an vehicle crosses an civilian within 5 meters, that it will sometimes honk the horn?

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

It might be that i just didn't notice it. But it appears that none of the animals make any sound. Wouldn't it be nice for the ambients to sometimes hear a dog barking or the let the chickens make noise? The same might a nice addition for vehicles, for example when an vehicle crosses an civilian within 5 meters, that it will sometimes honk the horn?

There are actually config entries for most of the animals, so I assume that one day they'll have sounds. Nice idea re the honking.

I'm actually nearly ready to go with ambient Greek music coming from habitable houses.

TPW MODS v20130922:

Working on the parachute stuff for fall has made me realise how annoying it is that there is no wind noise for freefalling. I'm having no luck playing any of the CfgEnvSounds wind entries using playmusic though. I can play them with playsound3d but the player just falls away from the sound. If anyone knows how to attach a sound to a moving object then I'm all ears (pun intended).

If the sound is to be local to the unit only then use: playsound "theSound".

If you are using CBA the you can use their say3d command. It should work just fine on a falling unit.

If the sound is to be local to the unit only then use: playsound "theSound".

If you are using CBA the you can use their say3d command. It should work just fine on a falling unit.

Thanks mate. Seems like neither playsound, nor any other #$%^ing sound command will work with sounds in CfgEnvSounds. Only playsound3d if given the actual filename.

Hello...

ArmA III finished downloading just an hour ago, I popped here by chance and got the bundle.

For one who was at ArmA and didn't play ArmA II it's a bit of a huge leap but I think I managed to do it right, though I think you forgot to say that the launch properties of ArmA III should also have the -mod=@TPW_MODS.

-mod=@CBA_A3 is mandatory and you can find it written somewhere (I think on the CBA_A3 install instructions) so I suppose they both must be enabled. Something a n00by might find useful to know. :)

Ahm... the sounds don't seem too realistic, do you plan to implement anything about that in the bundle? Me I am just at the very first game... (Showcase Infantry Elite) and it's extremely hard but this time I got a good rig with 60fps and can play more than decently when compared to ArmA, de he ho.

Just figured with all those videos on LiveLeak anyone may really use a sampler to get the proper sounds going.

Thanks for your efforts, just thought about a tip and a hello. :)

Ahm... the sounds don't seem too realistic, do you plan to implement anything about that in the bundle? Me I am just at the very first game... (Showcase Infantry Elite) and it's extremely hard but this time I got a good rig with 60fps and can play more than decently when compared to ArmA, de he ho.

Just figured with all those videos on LiveLeak anyone may really use a sampler to get the proper sounds going.

JSRS sound mod

i just had a thought..... the same script that spawns civs could that be made into a script where it randomly spawns enemies around your position at a given radius??

hmmm would be interesting, because it would be like the skirmish module kind of thing :)

I think for TPW_CARS, it would be cool if you set the fuel of the cars to be random.

JSRS sound mod

I know but I don't want to install extras. I'd rather stick to one bundle and the guy has a good starting point.

Better all stick to the bundle and test the mods one by one as he needs feedback.

little bug in TPW Fall ?

i have a diver jump out of a helo at around 3 meters high straight in to the sea he needs to swim a short distance to board a SDV, before with TPW Fall no probems, nice spash sound etc. but with the newest the diver hits he water and goes in to a jump/fall animation (knees pulled up) and keeps looping the animation rendering the player stuck

when i turned off Fall in config problem was solved.