tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

TPW MODS v20130923: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20130923.zip

Changes:

[RADIO 1.03] Ambient Greek music played in habitable houses.

[FALL 1.18] Wind noises in freefall and under parachute.

Hi guys. Another big update. Literally. It's now a 9MB download instead of 100KB. Why? Ambient Greek music!

I found some nice free Greek traditional music at Last.FM, crunched it down so it sounds like it's coming from a little radio, and wrote a jukebox script that runs for any habitable house near the player. If you stand in one spot near a house you'll hear it playing random Greek songs. The script is disabled once the player moves away. The effect is very nice, an it really adds to the inhabited vibe. The only thing you'll have to do is suspend you disbelief that music is coming from empty houses...

The other big ticket item is that I have added freefall wind noise. It reaches a crescendo a few seconds after you jump, and transitions to a gentler wind noise once under canopy. Before anyone complains - I skydived for 10 years. Trust me when I say it sounds realistic.

I will be refining the ambient music and skydiving stuff further over the next few releases, so any input would be appreciated.

I know but I don't want to install extras. I'd rather stick to one bundle and the guy has a good starting point.

Better all stick to the bundle and test the mods one by one as he needs feedback.

I'm not sure you understand what's going on here. tpw released a set of scripts that enliven Stratis and Altis. You're asking a programming mod developer to instead learn sound design and make a new and entirely different actual mod.

If you have requests, there's a thread for that. Not this one.

Hello...

ArmA III finished downloading just an hour ago, I popped here by chance and got the bundle.

For one who was at ArmA and didn't play ArmA II it's a bit of a huge leap but I think I managed to do it right, though I think you forgot to say that the launch properties of ArmA III should also have the -mod=@TPW_MODS.

-mod=@CBA_A3 is mandatory and you can find it written somewhere (I think on the CBA_A3 install instructions) so I suppose they both must be enabled. Something a n00by might find useful to know. :)

Ahm... the sounds don't seem too realistic, do you plan to implement anything about that in the bundle? Me I am just at the very first game... (Showcase Infantry Elite) and it's extremely hard but this time I got a good rig with 60fps and can play more than decently when compared to ArmA, de he ho.

Just figured with all those videos on LiveLeak anyone may really use a sampler to get the proper sounds going.

Thanks for your efforts, just thought about a tip and a hello. :)

Thanks for the input. While I appreciate that you think my mod is a one stop shop for every deficit in Arma3, it's not. I strongly encourage you to check out JSRS regardless of your feelings about running extra mods. Jarhead is a sound design and coding genius. I will update the 1st post with more noob friendly instructions.

i just had a thought..... the same script that spawns civs could that be made into a script where it randomly spawns enemies around your position at a given radius??

hmmm would be interesting, because it would be like the skirmish module kind of thing :)

As I've said elsewhere in the thread, it's not a problem spawning random combatants, it's just a problem of doing it in a believable way that ties in with the Arma3 backstory. I'll continue to think upon it.

I think for TPW_CARS, it would be cool if you set the fuel of the cars to be random.

Sure it can easily be done

Thought about adding some ambient music to civilian vehicles?

I've just added it to houses, should be simple enough to add it to cars.

little bug in TPW Fall ?

i have a diver jump out of a helo at around 3 meters high straight in to the sea he needs to swim a short distance to board a SDV, before with TPW Fall no probems, nice spash sound etc. but with the newest the diver hits he water and goes in to a jump/fall animation (knees pulled up) and keeps looping the animation rendering the player stuck

when i turned off Fall in config problem was solved.

Thanks for that. It was a bug with my parachute handling code that has been fixed.

I see you're talking about JSRS' sound mod. tpw, sorry to slighlty hijack your thread, but I have a simple question about that mod: where can I find it? It seems like there is no thread about it here in the forums, or maybe I just suck at searching.

Yay!

I see you're talking about JSRS' sound mod. tpw, sorry to slighlty hijack your thread, but I have a simple question about that mod: where can I find it? It seems like there is no thread about it here in the forums, or maybe I just suck at searching.

Yay!

Here.

Thank you. I will now ground myself for being an idiot.

Yay!

TPW MODS v20130923: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20130923.zip

Changes:

[RADIO 1.03] Ambient Greek music played in habitable houses.

[FALL 1.18] Wind noises in freefall and under parachute.

Hi guys. Another big update. Literally. It's now a 9MB download instead of 100KB. Why? Ambient Greek music!

I found some nice free Greek traditional music at Last.FM, crunched it down so it sounds like it's coming from a little radio, and wrote a jukebox script that runs for any habitable house near the player. If you stand in one spot near a house you'll hear it playing random Greek songs. The script is disabled once the player moves away. The effect is very nice, an it really adds to the inhabited vibe. The only thing you'll have to do is suspend you disbelief that music is coming from empty houses...

The other big ticket item is that I have added freefall wind noise. It reaches a crescendo a few seconds after you jump, and transitions to a gentler wind noise once under canopy. Before anyone complains - I skydived for 10 years. Trust me when I say it sounds realistic.

I will be refining the ambient music and skydiving stuff further over the next few releases, so any input would be appreciated.

The music does add a very nice touch. Great idea. I went into a chapel and wondered if you can find some Greek hymns. There are a lot of chapels in Altis like Chernarus. something like this:

Excited to see music implemented -can't wait to check it out!

Not sure about the whole enemy combatant idea though knowing your awesome work you always give us an off switch :)

I was messing around with civilians spawning with weapons randomly and if you get to close (after the civ count warning), they might just pull a glock on you. Haven't finished it yet but it's gonna be fun!

I know how to add mods via the (@modfolder within my Steam/A3 folder)...and then use the enable mod feature within the A3 main screen page -

However, I'm not exactly sure how to use JUST the LOS mod (OF TPW). What exact script line do I use? And where exactly do I place it? Do I place it within EACH team/group leader that I want to use it? Or do all OPFOR AI already use it by default if enabled within the mod expansion option??..... Does it run like UPSMON (that I use in A2).

Thanks for any further instruction for someone not familiar with scripts and how to run them.

^^^ If your just using tpw_los script, call it with: 0 = [0,100,25,2] execvm "\scripts\tpw_los.sqf"; Where as you would place the file tpw_los into your missions\scripts folder

You can just paste the above call it from any units init.

If you are referring to the Addon instead, you need to edit the /userconfig file.

Yay!

[Re: Fuel] Sure it can easily be done

I had something like this on the old BISCUIT (Bohemia Interactive Studios CommUnity Issue Tracker -- much better than "CIT" in my admittedly-less-than-humble opinion ;-)) with regards to the Arma 2 SILVIE. I feel it's important to make sure it's a throw with several randoms. Say random 0.5 + random 0.25 + random 0.25?

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/4118 -- In this case, I'm referring to vehicle damage rather than fuel, but the concept is the same.

is there a way to remove car spawns from this mod?

it seems very odd to see a guy enjoying the country side and taking in the sites on a motorbike while there are rounds and rockets going off everywhere.

Here I am again bugging tpw.

I had some sort of an idea to "easily" hard code some exclusion zones in your TPW_CIVS and/or TPW_CARS mods, obviously while not listening to my lectures. It requires a couple of things though:

- The player itself can be an exclusion object

- An exclusion object can dinamically change it's state to on/off

- Both maps have a consistent grid coordinates system

The idea is to find the rough center of an area we want to exclude, and check if the player is inside a circle of a given radius centered in that rough center itself. If he is in, the player becomes an active exclusion object, thus negating CIVS and CARS spawning in an appropriate radius around him in the to-be excluded area.

This way adding exclusion zones would be as "simple" as finding the center coordinate of bases/arfields/FOBs, calculating a rough radius, and adding it to the if clause (or similar) that controls the player exclusion object behaviour.

I think this way you could also add a higher if clause to control if this behaviour is active or not (so if someone wants to use TPW_CIVS/CARS without exclusion zones can do so by modifing the relevant flag in the userconfig file.

I have no idea what language ArmA III can be modded in, but in a rough Java it could look like this:

public class HardExclusions
 {
 // SUBCLASS

private class ExclusionZone    // Exclusion zone template
   {
   private int xCenter;
   private int yCenter;
   private int radius;

private ExclusionZone(int newXCenter, int newYCenter, int newRadius)
     {
     xCenter = newXCenter; 
     yCenter = newYCenter; 
     radius = newRadius; 
     }

private bool playerIsInExclusionZone(int xPlayerPosition, int yPlayerPosition)
     {
     if ((xPlayerPosition > xCenter - radius) && (xPlayerPosition < xCenter + radius))    // + and - depend on how the coordinate system works
       if ((yPlayerPosition > yCenter - radius) && (yPlayerPosition < yCenter + radius))    // + and - depend on how the coordinate system works
         return true;

return false;    // Reaches here only if one of the if clauses is false
     }
   }

// FIELDS

private Collection<ExclusionZone> exclusionZonesCollection;    // This contains all exclusion zones

private ExclusionZone exclusionZone1;
 private ExclusionZone exclusionZone2;
 private ExclusionZone exclusionZone3;    // And more

// CONSTRUCTORS

public HardExclusion()
   {
   exclusionZonesCollection = new LinkedList();    // Or whatever

exclusionZone1 = new ExclusionZone(XXX, XXX, XXX);    // Real coordinate/radiuses go here instead of XXX
   exclusionZone2 = new ExclusionZone(XXX, XXX, XXX);
   exclusionZone3 = new ExclusionZone(XXX, XXX, XXX);

exclusionZonesCollection.add(exclusionZone1);
   exclusionZonesCollection.add(exclusionZone2);
   exclusionZonesCollection.add(exclusionZone3);
   }

// METHODS

public exclusionCheck(int xPlayerPosition, int yPlayerPosition)
   {
   Iterator<ExclusionZone> iter = exclusionZonesCollection.iterator();

while (iter.hasNext())    // Goes through all exclusion zones
     {
     if (iter.next().playerIsInExclusionZone(xPlayerPosition, yPlayerPosition) == true)    // If player is inside the exclusion circle
       player.isExclusionObject(true);    // I'm totally inventing this function
     else
       player.isExclusionObject(false);    // I'm totally inventing this function
     }
   }
 }

Yay!

Edited by Gliptal

// CARS

tpw_car_active = 0; // 0 = inactive

tpw_car_delay = 10; // delay before cars start spawning (sec)

tpw_car_waypoints = 15; // How many waypoints to give each car

tpw_car_num = 0; // Max number of cars to spawn around player. 0 = ambient cars disabled

tpw_car_radius = 1000; // radius (m) around player to check for roads and spawn cars

I've changed some parameters but they still spawn. I've even tried removing the car script same result. Instead of an exclusion zone i would much prefer to just switch the cars off.

// CARS

tpw_car_active = 0; // 0 = inactive

tpw_car_delay = 10; // delay before cars start spawning (sec)

tpw_car_waypoints = 15; // How many waypoints to give each car

tpw_car_num = 0; // Max number of cars to spawn around player. 0 = ambient cars disabled

tpw_car_radius = 1000; // radius (m) around player to check for roads and spawn cars

I've changed some parameters but they still spawn. I've even tried removing the car script same result. Instead of an exclusion zone i would much prefer to just switch the cars off.

Do you still have the old TPW cars addon enabled somewhere? Or is there possibly some other reason that tpw_car_active might be being set to 1?

Do you still have the old TPW cars addon enabled somewhere? Or is there possibly some other reason that tpw_car_active might be being set to 1?

This is the first version i downloaded so their wouldn't be any older versions. I really have no idea why they are still spawning :/ Any other ideas?

Hi TPW, I'm a big fan of your mods.

I really do enjoy your mods, even if they slightly encoumber my cpu, but I really cannot live without them :)

I would like to ask you a question, as you look like making realism mods.

In a firefight, the first priority of troops are taking some cover before engaging opfor.

I haven't seen any feature of this kind, even if your suppression mod (along with windwalker's mod) has a good cover routine.

Don't you think that troops, when enemy is in sight at a distance that is not definied "cqb" (maybe>25mt) should give priority to get cover and then start shooting?

Same thing, but even more important, should be infantry taking cover from vehicles and pop up just to shoot them with AT weapons, and if not available, just disengage and hide from it.

Thanks for your time and your enjoyable mods.

If I just want to use the TPW EBS mod / script - Can someone take a screen capture of what their misison folder looks like when using this TPW EBS. How it should be set up?

debugging? where would i find that??

Read the documentation that comes with the download.

debugging? where would i find that??

(I believe) You have to set a key to "0" - in whichever part of the TPW mod you are running. Or perhaps it is "1". But in whichever TPW mod you are running the readme does give the key # for turning off / on debugging.