tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

I tried the Combined Arms showcase mission again with CBA3, TPW, WWAICOVER and JRSS .75 Alpha (question: do these mods need to be put in a specific up/down order?).
I guess the only requirement could be CBA on top of the list. For the rest I put my 13 Mods in alphabetical order without any issue.
The hit on the FPS, when compared to the vanilla is heavy and since sliding down the details doesn't help, I suppose either the settings of the mods are not that sensible (to my rig) or that there might be a problem with the AI impacting on the CPU.
Yes, there is quite a performance problem regarding AI.
The AI is a bit reckless but it compensates with instant reaction times and great accuracy at elite level. Since I've been trying w/wout mods the same missions over and over again I can say the WWAICOVER/TPW doesn't seem to help that much against reckless acting but so far this is open ground combat maybe it does in areas with buildings. If you camp you're sure to have the AI come at you in the open for an easier shot and I am really not sure the pro/cons are in favor right now at least on my machine. I am sure instead the "ambient" part of the mod is absolutely awesome (lights, sounds, civs, animals, etc).
On Infantry showcase WWAICOVER and TPW are great: at last your AI doesn't rush like madman along the valley to get immediately killed, but take their time slowly clearing the area.

The great thing is that with SUPPRESSION you can actively act to stay alive longer (no more AI disregarding hundreds of bullets flying around them: if you need breathing space to dash to cover or whatever you can actually create that breathing space), FALL means a hit AI won't keep shooting like nothing happened, and AICOVER will keep everyone generally more alive than normal.

Generally speaking, with these Mods active when I get killed I feel like it was my fault or sheer lack of luck. Without these mods, most of the times I feel like I was cheated by the enemy AI or burdened by the friendly AI.

Alas a red pickup showed up on the road leading to the enemy base coming the opposite way towards us, an AI platoon ahead of me was right there and the vehicle ran over one of the soldiers of that platoon, killing him. :)

I actually like this, it adds a variable you must take care of.
A thing I meant to ask you about possible improvement in realism is the management of clips being replaced when reloading.

Theoretically, when you hit R that clip should be used up, any bullets remaining should really be lost along with the clip. I am afraid they aren't and the remaining bullets of each clip you used are all added to the final clip (saw a reload going from 4 clips remaining to 5 clips remaining that's why I suspect this is happening).

Not true: the engine actually retains all partially full magazines, discarding only empty ones. If you reload with 2 bullets in the magazine 5 times, you will end up with 5 magazines with 2 bullets in each one (and not 1 magazine with 10 bullets).

You can check this behaviour by looking the white bar near the magazines in the inventory or by downloading Outlawled Mag Repack.

Another thing is with the switch between single and auto fire. There is no "click" sound or animation. Granted the animation is not that important but the click sound would be a nice thing.

Surprisingly, the HUD even in Elite tells you the number of bullets you still have in the loaded magazine, that's something that might need a look to find a good compromise between realism and gaming needs (you would take it out, weigh and assess how many bullets remain inside but surely you can't read it on a display) ;)

Nice ideas, but I would love the weight mechanism to not be restricted to elite. This is actually something I would take a shot at modding, if I had the slightest experience with ArmA modding. I guess you should ask Tao about this though, because TPW's work seems in a slightly different direction.
Plenty of work to do... I've seen helicopters doing crazy angles... not sure what is to be patched and what can instead be modded but having a helo that angles vertical to slow down or accelerate is crazy. Can't believe at 3rd episode BI still hasn't got the hang of at least a minimally credible flight model for helos. :)
Helicopter behaviour is quite broken ATM: for example I still can't understand why they close in when engaging. An attack chopper should stay hundreds of meters away behind a hill, pop up a few seconds to wreak havoc, and then hide back down like it was the sky that fired all that ordnance.

BI should read some Apache AARs from the First Gulf War! :D

Yay!

EDIT: What the hell is wrong with my grammar today, sorry.

Edited by Gliptal

Regarding performance, I've said it before and will no doubt have to say it again - it's just not possible to modify so many aspects of Arma 3 without taking a performance hit of some kind. And it's totally unreasonable to expect vanilla levels of performance from this or indeed any mod that is dynamically adjusting AI movement, behaviour etc. Performance is a zero sum game. I use a very modest core i5 / GTX 570 rig and am not prepared to shrug off performance issues, I try hard within my limited programming scope to optimise things. No doubt there are aspects that can be improved, and I will do my best. In the mean time:

1 - Try individually disabling mods and establishing which one is causing your performance hit, and then report that actual useful information to me. In particular, try without LOS, I'm sure that it's a performance eater when there are lots of AI all performing line of sight and visibility calculations on each other. Later A3 dev builds have largely obviated the need for this mod anyway.

2 - Accept that A3 is CPU bound, every AI (combatant, civilian, animal, vehicle) is going to want a chunk of your CPU, and with TPW MODS, each AI is going to want even more CPU in order to exhibit more realistic non vanilla reactions and behaviours.

3 - Realise that coding this stuff is non trivial. Your suggestions might sound simple in your post, but they're usually non simple in my Notepad++. And every implemented suggestion chips away slightly at performance.

ArmA3 is so random with fps count that I really don´t think TPW´s addons (nor windwalking´s) impact so much on framerate... I´ve played the same mission with all my addons activated (including TPW´s) and later with most of them off (likewise) and the frame rate - comparing - didn´t change while I was looking north at Camp Rogain base (it was 12-13 fps), but if I would look south or east, the framerate would UP to 28-30 fps!

Gosh, the framerate is varying according to the direction (probably its a lighting issue, bacause there were less object in the scene, while looking north, yet the framerate was low, and lot more objects and bots while looking south and east, and the framerate was higher, so it´s not an issue of bots nor objects in scene)

It´s all seems quantum mechanics =P

tpw, I was playing Showcase Infantry and got a bunch of these errors:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/577875627546966027/1CF148CC4DC7549DD2476381B911491ABF72FF83/

The first one popped up a few seconds after you hear your point man being hit, and all the other roughly every two artillery impacts.

Also, in SCUBA showcase, I think your freefalling wind sound play while you're swimming. I guess this is because, engine-wise, being water a simple shader, the player is actually floating mid-air.

Yay!

Edited by Gliptal

I tried to disable some of the modules through the \userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp file by replacing the 1 for a 0, is this the correct method, because all the features are still present.

I tried to disable some of the modules through the \userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp file by replacing the 1 for a 0, is this the correct method, because all the features are still present.

Restart Arma

Awesome mods use it all the time makes the gameplay a lot more lively instead of having a deserted area and makes combat a lot more interesting. Only one problem it might be just me but I have a problem with the Fall addon, which is a great addon yet when I use a diver as soon as the mods kick on the diver glitches out in the water going from crouch to standing an continuing the animation. As soon as I turn off the Fall the divers work just fine. Keep up the stupendous work, cant wait to see it progress.

Another small bug with diving that happened a couple times to me, is that the wind sound is played while diving. Happened once when I landed with a chute on sea, the sound did not stop at all.

I'm reluctant to post these types of errors as for some reason they tend to be isolated to me but for some reaon I get a lot of those Undefined Variable: _Driver; _House ....errors especially when using BI official showcases. I don't seem to get them on my own missions and wondering if anyone else gets spammed with those messages?

Edited by froggyluv

Hmmm, shouldn't be happening because suppresskion is not applied to units in vehicles. Can you try it with debugging on and tell me if you see shells around units in tanks.

:rolleyes: Really sorry, it was the Fire-Fight Improvement System mod who triggered the unwanted behavior... not your mod :)

@everyone, thanks and keep the bug reports coming!

TPW MODS v20130927: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20130927.zip

Changes:

[CIVS 1.17] Civilian gesticulation restored (dev build 1.03.110339)

[FALL 1.19] Ragdolls have same goggles, headgear and vest as parent unit. No freefall sound in water (!)

[ANIMALS 1.16] Cat noises at night in towns

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

tpw, I was playing Showcase Infantry and got a bunch of these errors:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/577875627546966027/1CF148CC4DC7549DD2476381B911491ABF72FF83/

The first one popped up a few seconds after you hear your point man being hit, and all the other roughly every two artillery impacts.

Also, in SCUBA showcase, I think your freefalling wind sound play while you're swimming. I guess this is because, engine-wise, being water a simple shader, the player is actually floating mid-air.

Yay!

Scuba is fixed. I very occasionally see the error you are reporting, but it's so inconsistent that I can't pin it down. I will keep at it.

Awesome mods use it all the time makes the gameplay a lot more lively instead of having a deserted area and makes combat a lot more interesting. Only one problem it might be just me but I have a problem with the Fall addon, which is a great addon yet when I use a diver as soon as the mods kick on the diver glitches out in the water going from crouch to standing an continuing the animation. As soon as I turn off the Fall the divers work just fine. Keep up the stupendous work, cant wait to see it progress.

Sorry but I just don't see this bug. Player or AI bahve as expected in water, whether scuba or just swimming.

I'm reluctant to post these types of errors as for some reason they tend to be isolated to me but for some reaon I get a lot of those Undefined Variable: _Driver; _House ....errors especially when using BI official showcases. I don't seem to get them on my own missions and wondering if anyone else gets spammed with those messages?

I haven't seen these sorts of errors for a long time. I will keep my eye out though.

:rolleyes: Really sorry, it was the Fire-Fight Improvement System mod who triggered the unwanted behavior... not your mod :)

FFIS was (according to ZooLoo75) written in a very short time and released with little bug testing, and is unsupported. I should put a disclaimer regarding disabling FFIS before reporting TPW MODS bugs.

Edited by tpw

I haven't seen these sorts of errors for a long time. I will keep my eye out though.

Roger. Seems some other mod is causing this as I disabled all of them and it stopped. Ill try and isolate it.

Hello TPW, thanks for all the hard work!

I'm trying to get your tpw_radio.sqf to work with a RADIO placed on the map in editor.

The Arma 2 way was to name the Radio:

RADIO

Then use a Trigger:

Name: trgMusic

Cond: True

On Acct: trgMusic attachTo [RADIO,[0,0,1]];

Description.ext:

CfgMusic

class CfgMusic
{
tracks[]={radio};

class singing
{
name = "radio";
Sound[] = {\Music\radio.ogg, db+0, 1.0}; };

CfgSFX

// ======================
// class CfgSFX related
class CfgSFX
{
class EasternEggs
{
	sounds[] = {"sound1"};
	name = "radio";
	sound1[] = {"Music\radio.ogg", 2.51189, 1, 20, 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
	empty[] = {"", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
};

};

Seems this does not work anymore unless I'm doing something wrong.

Your script seems to be allocating BIS sounds in the game.

Anyway to customize this to the mission makers whim?

thanks for your superb mod. it really add ambiance to the game.

it works on my dedicated. i mean, i see animals and heard music on my client , playing on dedicated server.

Hello TPW, thanks for all the hard work!

I'm trying to get your tpw_radio.sqf to work with a RADIO placed on the map in editor.

The Arma 2 way was to name the Radio:

RADIO

Then use a Trigger:

On Acct: trgMusic attachTo [RADIO,[0,0,1]];

Description.ext:

CfgMusic

class CfgMusic
{
tracks[]={radio};

class singing
{
name = "radio";
Sound[] = {\Music\radio.ogg, db+0, 1.0}; };

CfgSFX

// class CfgSFX related
class CfgSFX
{
class EasternEggs
{
	sounds[] = {"sound1"};
	name = "radio";
	sound1[] = {"Music\radio.ogg", 2.51189, 1, 20, 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
	empty[] = {"", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
};

};

Seems this does not work anymore unless I'm doing something wrong.

Your script seems to be allocating BIS sounds in the game.

Anyway to customize this to the mission makers whim?

I'm assuming you mean the military radio not the Greek music radio.

Military radio uses BIS sounds, Greek radio uses custom sounds. Not sure what the Arma2 way was, but this is Arma3. Try this:

Name your radio "Radio"

Then use a Trigger:

On Acct: 
_sound = format ["A3\Sounds_F\sfx\radio\ambient_radio%1.wss",floor (random 31)];
playsound3d [_sound,radio,true,getPosasl radio,1,1,50];

If you wanted Greek music then the trigger is

On Acct:
_song = format ["TPW_SOUNDS\music\%1.ogg",floor (random 16)];
playsound3d [_song,radio,true,getPosasl radio,1,1,50];

Cat noises! Haha, just what I wanted. :) Thanks tpw, it's the little things like this that makes it all come together. I played a mission the other day, and the sound of dogs added just the right ambiance.

TPW, I finally installed your mod and went around gleefully knocking my teammates on their asses with my rifle. I had just completed my second run of Armed Assault, and had spent most of my time tearing my hair out and reloading after enemies utterly ignored 6.8mm rounds to the center mass and continued returning accurate fire.

I think TPW fall alone could fix ArmA 3 gameplay to a huge extent. As such I have some feedback:

1) As I'm sure you know, bullets can't physically knock someone over. The effect is entirely psychological, and as such, there should be some randomness. If I was in your shoes, I would make rifles rounds cause units to fall down only 60-70% of the time.

2) And what happens if they remain on their feet? Maximum suppression effects (as relates to weapon sway, not stance and movement limitations). You will be accomplishing what all BIS' accuracy tweaks have failed to do so far.

3) The temporary invincibility of ragdolling units is a serious limitation, especially in CQB. It means I will land one bullet, then have to wait quite a few seconds until they are vulnerable again. Is there any possibility of a workaround on the horizon? Perhaps a script could track hits taken while in ragdoll, and apply the damage belatedly. There would probably be a performance hit, but shooting ragdolls would be a sufficiently rare occasion (not happening all at once all over the map) that it would probably be acceptable. (After fiddling around with the game, this appears to not be a terrible problem, and I like the bleedout system even more.)

4) Furthermore, bleedout needs a progressive visual cue, like in ACE wounds system. Death shouldn't come as a surprise.

Off to play my brand new game!

Edited by maturin

4) Furthermore, bleedout needs a progressive visual cue, like in ACE wounds system. Death shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think the heart beating sound that goes off slowly would also add to the atmosphere. When the heart stops... you're dead. :)

I mean some really alarming red flashing screen cues 10-20 seconds before death.

Hi and thanks for these great mods.

Working great, however do you consider adding an option to specify, or at least exclude, certain vehicle types spawning? I personally find the quad-bike a bit immersion breaking ;)

Thanks for your great work.

Everyone where I live drives around on ATVs, and the terrain isn't nearly as rough as Altis.

TPW, I finally installed your mod and went around gleefully knocking my teammates on their asses with my rifle. I had just completed my second run of Armed Assault, and had spent most of my time tearing my hair out and reloading after enemies utterly ignored 6.8mm rounds to the center mass and continued returning accurate fire.

I think TPW fall alone could fix ArmA 3 gameplay to a huge extent. As such I have some feedback:

1) As I'm sure you know, bullets can't physically knock someone over. The effect is entirely psychological, and as such, there should be some randomness. If I was in your shoes, I would make rifles rounds cause units to fall down only 60-70% of the time.

2) And what happens if they remain on their feet? Maximum suppression effects (as relates to weapon sway, not stance and movement limitations). You will be accomplishing what all BIS' accuracy tweaks have failed to do so far.

3) The temporary invincibility of ragdolling units is a serious limitation, especially in CQB. It means I will land one bullet, then have to wait quite a few seconds until they are vulnerable again. Is there any possibility of a workaround on the horizon? Perhaps a script could track hits taken while in ragdoll, and apply the damage belatedly. There would probably be a performance hit, but shooting ragdolls would be a sufficiently rare occasion (not happening all at once all over the map) that it would probably be acceptable. (After fiddling around with the game, this appears to not be a terrible problem, and I like the bleedout system even more.)

Off to play my brand new game!

Gday Maturin. I'm glad the mod is affecting your game positively, and thanks for taking the time to write.

1 - Let me just get in with my point of view (since it's my mod after all) before all the armchair generals. I'm completely aware that the bullet is not physically knocking the unit down. I did physics at uni. I find the default behaviour of a unit standing there twitching absorbing 6.5mm rounds until he drops down dead highly unsatisfactory. And I find the John Woo style being thrown meters by a bullet hitcompletely unrealistic. But, I don't think it unreasonable to expect that the shock of taking a hit be manifested. Shit, I got hit in the sternum by a rock thrown from a lawnmower when I was younger and I went down screaming! At present I find that AI only seem to register being hit by a bullet 70% of the time anyway. Seriously, there is something awry with A3 hit detection.

2 - Any unit hit by anything has suppression applied, regardless of whether they hit the deck or not.. That means fatigue and decreased skills.

3 - Ragdolls are only invincible for the second that they are falling. Once they are on the ground you can dispatch them. The trouble is that a ragdoll is actually a killed replacement unit. I might be able to get a hit or hitpart eventhandler to register additonal hits on the ragdoll then transfer the info back to the real unit. Leave it with me. EDIT: Yep got it working with hitpart, will release today

4 - Bleedout does provide visual cues. Bleeding units continue bleeding, for a start! AI can't stand up. Players get saddled with the visual and auditory cues of extreme fatigue - reduced speed, panting, vision blur etc. Personally I'm not a fan of cheesy vignetting fx. If you can suggest something that doesn't involve the screen turning red...

Thanks again Maturin.

---------- Post added at 07:40 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

Hi and thanks for these great mods.

Working great, however do you consider adding an option to specify, or at least exclude, certain vehicle types spawning? I personally find the quad-bike a bit immersion breaking ;)

Thanks for your great work.

I agree, scooters would have been preferable. I'll have to think of a way to do it that isn't a pain in the arse to implement and a pain in the arse to use.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 ----------

http://dev.arma3.com/spotrep-00011

Big change log... I hope there's something that solves my issue with TPW. :)

It's going to be a happy week end!

I didn't know you had an issue with me....

Yep the new dev release is a beauty.

Edited by tpw