tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

I have an installation problem

"

•Copy @TPW_MODS\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp to \your_steam_location\steamapps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp. The mod will not launch without this file.

"

My steam location halts to arma3 (\your_steam_location\steamapps\common\Arma 3). Di I have to manually create the subfolder userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp. ?

I've got a bit of a weird request, I was wondering if it was possible to have the mod automatically disable the Animals, Cars and Civs modules if you're starting the Whole Lotta Altis / Stratis missions.

Since those already have included quite a few animals, cars and civvies ambient spawning.

Then again i guess that would go against the whole concept of the user choosing what to have active :D

I'm really too lazy!

Just copy the userconfig folder in @TPW_MODS to /Arma 3

Yay!

Oh my goodness, this is a wonderful combination of mods, man. Are these all abridged versions of your previous works, or a true mixture of it all? You should totally make something like this for ArmA II dude, because this is unfathomably impressive to me. :P

TPW, can you make this available in the Six network? Don't know how this can be done, maybe ask Sickboy? Because it's time to see this in pw6 or Armarize...

TPW MODS 20130918: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

[FALL 1.16] Ragdolls have same clothing as parent unit.

[HOUSELIGHTS 1.03] Fixed flaw in house selection code that spawned lights into uninhabited houses.

[CIVS 1.15] Fixed flaw in house selection code that spawned civs into uninhabited houses. Removed worker coveralls from random clothing. Improved spawning code.

[CARS 1.15] Cars will spawn with passengers 50% of the time. Improved commandeering - player does not automatically mount commandeered car. Removed worker coveralls from random clothing. Improved spawning code.

[bOATS 1.14] Removed worker coveralls from random clothing.

You should totally make something like this for ArmA II dude, because this is unfathomably impressive to me. :P

Yeah, I think Arma II really needs this, because best civilian traffic mod, I know for Arma II is JTD Action but it spawns civilian traffic only in civilian settlements.

I fixed it. Ended up editing the script so that multiplied houses x civ density rather than divide.

the exclusion system is nice to see :) but i think it could be improved by using (disapearing) marker area's to exclude civ / car spawning i that area completly (as was possible with BIS_ACM) (little example to the problem : made a base area at a airfield and placed some exclusion logics, but after moving a way a bit cars can be seen driving around that airport / base where i dont want them.)

these addons are really the best and i can defintly live with the problem if it is to hard to implent :) keep it up

Hey TPW! I don't know if anyone else has reported this (I'm on my mobile with a 2G connection right now, so I can't really go back over the thread), but it seems that, if one rides in a vehicle with the radio chatter on long enough, the ARMA III load screen sounds play after a bit, as if on loop. It's actually sort of cool when it starts as it's got the ominous Day-Z vibe going on. LOL. Then it adds the ARMA radio chatter/blips/bloops/bleeps, and cuts to silence before going back to your chatter again.

Also, I'm an idiot, so this is just a suggestion, but would it be possible to add a "Radio Off" command in the Action Menu? While military vehicles and commercial trucks work great with the chatter, stuff like the Quads and civ vehicles would probably be better served without it (or, even better, with hideous Greek music playing! LOL).

As always, thanks so much for this incredible set of mods you've given us. You've elevated ARMA 3 to a masterpiece!!

I wouldn't mind if the radio was lowered a bit. And nice idea, horrorview. No military radio chatter in civilian vehicles, but maybe some random Greek or Gipsy music instead. :)

I wouldn't mind if the radio was lowered a bit. And nice idea, horrorview. No military radio chatter in civilian vehicles, but maybe some random Greek or Gipsy music instead. :)

LOL! It'd be great for sure, but I don't know if it would be easy to do (especially since I know NOTHING about modding!!). It'd be Grand Theft Altis for sure! :P

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

While I'm here, I may as well throw out another, probably impossible, idea/request. I was laying in bed thinking about Arma the other night (yeah, I do that. My wife doesn't appreciate it one bit), and I was thinking how cool it would be to have civilians actually interacting with one another rather than just sort of milling about. I've managed to script a few bits where I've spawned civs and had them walk up to other civs and engage in conversation, but I was wondering if it would be difficult to "spawn" groups of civs doing just that, as one chunk of scripted code. I was also daydreaming about BI introducing children and women and how cool it would be to have a scripted "children playing" thing, where they just ran about in a small area and, when trouble struck, would run a set distance and then recommence playing elsewhere.

Like I said, probably VERY difficult if not nigh impossible, but you seem open to ideas, so I figured I'd float those out there. :)

Yeah, I think Arma II really needs this, because best civilian traffic mod, I know for Arma II is JTD Action but it spawns civilian traffic only in civilian settlements.

Even so, isn't that a module you have to activate? TPW CIVS spawns them directly.

Hey TPW, i have a suggestion regarding the civilian module: would it be possible for the user to specify in the userconfig the maximum allowed number of spawned civilians. Im asking since I'd like to find a way to retain the feeling of inhabited settlements but keep the performance manageable.

Hey TPW, i have a suggestion regarding the civilian module: would it be possible for the user to specify in the userconfig the maximum allowed number of spawned civilians. Im asking since I'd like to find a way to retain the feeling of inhabited settlements but keep the performance manageable.

I'm not sure if he's changed things with the combining of the mods, but it used to be tpw_civ_density = 5; // How many houses per civ. (0 = ambient civs disabled).

Yes, but I want to have control over the total number (maximum allowed) of spawned civilians within the radius around the player. As I understand it, the density value specifies the number of civilians per house, so if you have 20 houses you might have 20civilians if that value is 1.

Yes, but I want to have control over the total number (maximum allowed) of spawned civilians within the radius around the player. As I understand it, the density value specifies the number of civilians per house, so if you have 20 houses you might have 20civilians if that value is 1.

Ah, gotcha, mate!

I love having the animals module on and going around Altis, just on a hunting trip. Too bad the animals don't really care about guns. War changes people I guess, and animals are people too.

Have noticed shadow sheep too! Animal behaviour is also a little jerky. Tonight I noticed a quad bike with 2 guys on it. When it came into view it seemed to do a visual glitch only briefly, like changing man type, then was fine. Have also seen a vehicle, far away through a scope disappear.

Writing this on an iPad so it's a stream of consciousness I'm afraid.

the exclusion system is nice to see :) but i think it could be improved by using (disapearing) marker area's to exclude civ / car spawning i that area completly (as was possible with BIS_ACM) (little example to the problem : made a base area at a airfield and placed some exclusion logics, but after moving a way a bit cars can be seen driving around that airport / base where i dont want them.)

these addons are really the best and i can defintly live with the problem if it is to hard to implent :) keep it up

No worries, I'll see what I can come up with. The system in place is very simple for the sake of performance (and ease of coding!).

Hey TPW! I don't know if anyone else has reported this (I'm on my mobile with a 2G connection right now, so I can't really go back over the thread), but it seems that, if one rides in a vehicle with the radio chatter on long enough, the ARMA III load screen sounds play after a bit, as if on loop. It's actually sort of cool when it starts as it's got the ominous Day-Z vibe going on. LOL. Then it adds the ARMA radio chatter/blips/bloops/bleeps, and cuts to silence before going back to your chatter again.

Also, I'm an idiot, so this is just a suggestion, but would it be possible to add a "Radio Off" command in the Action Menu? While military vehicles and commercial trucks work great with the chatter, stuff like the Quads and civ vehicles would probably be better served without it (or, even better, with hideous Greek music playing! LOL).

As always, thanks so much for this incredible set of mods you've given us. You've elevated ARMA 3 to a masterpiece!!

Yeah one of the ambient radio tracks is actually the intro sound, and left in because I like it!

OK I've changed things so that there's no military chatter in civilian vehicles. But no Greek music!

LOL! It'd be great for sure, but I don't know if it would be easy to do (especially since I know NOTHING about modding!!). It'd be Grand Theft Altis for sure! :P

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

While I'm here, I may as well throw out another, probably impossible, idea/request. I was laying in bed thinking about Arma the other night (yeah, I do that. My wife doesn't appreciate it one bit), and I was thinking how cool it would be to have civilians actually interacting with one another rather than just sort of milling about. I've managed to script a few bits where I've spawned civs and had them walk up to other civs and engage in conversation, but I was wondering if it would be difficult to "spawn" groups of civs doing just that, as one chunk of scripted code. I was also daydreaming about BI introducing children and women and how cool it would be to have a scripted "children playing" thing, where they just ran about in a small area and, when trouble struck, would run a set distance and then recommence playing elsewhere.

Like I said, probably VERY difficult if not nigh impossible, but you seem open to ideas, so I figured I'd float those out there. :)

I've already got the code for spawning flocks of animals, so it shouldn't be rocket surgery to spawn flocks of humans, and then give them some idle animations. Leave it with me.

Good thinking, I will implement this.

I love having the animals module on and going around Altis, just on a hunting trip. Too bad the animals don't really care about guns. War changes people I guess, and animals are people too.

Animals use their default FSM which supposedly has limited reaction to external stimuli. Not sure it's worth the performance hit to script in much more.

Have noticed shadow sheep too! Animal behaviour is also a little jerky. Tonight I noticed a quad bike with 2 guys on it. When it came into view it seemed to do a visual glitch only briefly, like changing man type, then was fine. Have also seen a vehicle, far away through a scope disappear.

Writing this on an iPad so it's a stream of consciousness I'm afraid.

Stream of consciousness reply: I've never seen a shadow animal sorry. The animal jerky behaviour is not down to me, but their FSM. Vehicles and occupants visual glitches are LOD related, they switch to lower res LODs pretty near the player. You will see distant vehicles disappear if you look for them , same as distant animals and civs. C'est la vie.

TPW MODS v20130919: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

[RADIO 1.01] Military radio not played in civilian vehicles

[CIVS 1.16] Civs will not spawn beyond a specified maximum, regardless of density. Civs can now interact with each other.

NB: Please update your config to allow for the new civilian behaviours

tpw_civ_maxciv = 20; // maximum number of civs to spawn regardless of tpw_civ_density

tpw_civ_interact = 15; // civilian interaction radius. Civs closer than this to other civs will stop and talk (0 - no interaction).

So this is a pretty major update to the civilian functionality. I've introduced a new variable: tpw_civ_interact, set at 15m by default. Civilians within this interaction radius will move towards each other, stop within a few m of each other, face each other and gesticulate to simulate conversation. After 5-10 sec they'll go on their way. They'll only exhibit this behaviour if not crouched/prone.

Basically I've just introduced a few simple ant-like rules, but they lead to emergent behaviours such as small crowds forming, civilians following each other around, and lots of civs coming and going from a single house. You might discover a few more.

So like any behaviour mod, this is going to impact on performance. Because every civ checks every other civ, the number of calculations is roughly number of civs ^ 2. With 4-8 civs, you'll barely notice the performance hit. With 20, you probably will, although the performance hit just from having 20 civs is actually high to begin with. I will work on optimising it. If you can't deal with it then civ interaction can be disabled with tpw_civ_interact = 0

And just to head off any complaining at the pass:

1 - Yes I know the transitions to/from gesticulating are not smooth. I can't use playmove, I have to use switchmove

2 - Yes I know that sometimes 2 civs approach each other and only one stops and gesticulates. This is because any given civ cannot stop again within 30 sec of being stopped. I deliberately left this behaviour because it helps with "flocking".

3 - For the few seconds of gesticulating the civ will not react to gunfire etc. I can live with it.

4 - A 15m interaction radius is large enough so that 2 civs won't pass each other by on the street without stopping for a chat. You can set this smaller for less interaction, or larger for more. Setting it beyond 30m is inadvisable, you'll just end up with a clump of civs every time.

Edited by tpw

Incredible.

Just a little request: could you add in your update posts the line that are added (or erased) from the config file, so that we can edit it simply by adding (erasing) them, instead of changing the whole config with our settings every time it gets updated?

Yay!

Edited by Gliptal

Incredible.

Just a little request: could you add in your update posts the line that are added (or erased) from the config file, so that we can edit it simply by adding (erasing) them, instead of changing the whole config with our settings every time it gets updated?

Yay!

Excellent idea, doing that now.