franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

Sweet! Loving it, I reckon the flight model is a little too sensitive at the moment. I can do barrel rolls no problem which I don't believe is possible without crashing irl.

Edited by Dagon19

Engine startup: This was a last minute thing demanded by Nodunit, so I didn't have time to include proper feedback of what's happening throughout the startup process.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I found lacking, since the engine switches are a "go/no go" moment but if they don't go forward then there's no visual/audio feedback as to whether the fault in the sequence was in missing the battery or the APU; it stands out because it's not only the engine switches but both the engine throttles and the rotor brake that give visual feedback.
I asked Franze about it but he'd rather keep it as, between wanting to give users the challenge of memorization and the presence of it being adressed in Overview under the training campaign.
Memorization would be one thing, but some of us only RTFM and I expect more out of the manual than that. :lol:
Truth be told you don't need AiA to use this, you'll still get the errors however and you will need to place it empty as it will return an error if you try standard pilots.

You may also need to use the GETIN function for air due to the start up system sometimes not working.

I gave it a shot with the "Empty placing" method, but I don't recall running across a failed startup; do you mean setting the helo to FLYING and then using GETIN on the pilot in the helo/pilot's init in a manner similar to putting a squad into a helo's passenger space at mission start? Edited by Chortles

My question is how do we click the panels

Assign a key to the "User Action 20" key in your keybindings (it's under the Custom Controls section of the drop-down list at the top of the controls menu) and when you have the blue text appear over the panel buttons, press the key you have assigned.

Personally I have Middle Mouse button set to "User Action 20"

Absolutely fantastic model and features when in cockpit. I use WASD + mouse when flying however, and so far I've noticed that W and S are used for switching the displays. I there a way to rebind these keys?

Thanks for this, its a learning curve to be enjoyed..;)

Thanks for sharing.:)

Absolutely fantastic model and features when in cockpit. I use WASD + mouse when flying however, and so far I've noticed that W and S are used for switching the displays. I there a way to rebind these keys?

Rebind the User Action 1 and 2 keys, as I wrote above regarding User Action 20.

There's a list of all the keys in the Manual, with reference to what action in the Arma 2 control scheme they correspond to. They're almost all User Action based keys.

Dunno if this is weird to ask, but is there any chances to see it in Arma 3?

Could I just install it as a mod there or does it need to be specially modified for that?

EDIT: Ah, just found the answer a few pages back. Cool.

Edited by Hartmann

Absolutely lovely mod! Reinstalled ArmA2 just to try it out in fact :P

I'm having trouble with the Longbow Hellfires though. They seem very inaccurate versus even stationary targets on the firing range in free-flight. Does the game have issues hitting targets that are out of view distance? I've used all the different trajectories repeatedly, but the hit rate is still very poor (<20%). Lock is solid, as confirmed by the solid box around the reticule and the target is acquired and appears as a small yellow "H" on the FCR. Firing from within minimal range seems to be the only way to properly score hits, go figure!

Hands down one of the most impressive addons I've seen though, fantastic work and much thanks to both of you gentlemen! :)

Absolutely lovely mod! Reinstalled ArmA2 just to try it out in fact :P

I'm having trouble with the Longbow Hellfires though. They seem very inaccurate versus even stationary targets on the firing range in free-flight. Does the game have issues hitting targets that are out of view distance? I've used all the different trajectories repeatedly, but the hit rate is still very poor (<20%). Lock is solid, as confirmed by the solid box around the reticule and the target is acquired and appears as a small yellow "H" on the FCR. Firing from within minimal range seems to be the only way to properly score hits, go figure!

Hands down one of the most impressive addons I've seen though, fantastic work and much thanks to both of you gentlemen! :)

Is the FCR your sight on the WPN page or on the HDU?

Edited by NodUnit

Yes, using the FCR as my targeting method on WPN. The missiles go up post-launch, and impact next to the vehicle. They're locking on, just not accurately guiding it would appear.

Yes, Longbow HELLFIRE guidance outside of about 5km is finiky due to changes introduced in how the game calculates unit position outside of render distance. Within about 5km you're usually OK. Launch mode also matters; LOAL is much less accurate than LOBL.

Oh I was using it from the waypoint provided, at 2km roughly from target :P I understand though if its not really avoidable due to engine limits though, you all have made an amazing unit nonetheless!

That should be a sure hit at that distance with either LOBL or LOAL modes. No problems with the laser missiles?

I dropped it into A3 for a spin around Altis earlier. I did run into a few errors, but it seems to function fine, though I did not test all systems. One issue I did run into was that all sounds relevant to the addon appeared to be running through a delay effect, or "echo". The only other addons I had running were MCC Sandbox and CBA.

Anyone else having a problem switching the battery and APU?

I can use my custom key 20 (ctrl key) to open/close canopy, flick engine switches etc. It doesn't allow me to do the above or move the sticks to the fly position.

Cheers

There is no feedback for battery and APU. Just click battery then APU then starters then thorottes to FLY positon and click rotorbrake. Then hit Q or your analogue throttle and engines should start. Bit strange for now but its first version.

I dropped it into A3 for a spin around Altis earlier. I did run into a few errors, but it seems to function fine, though I did not test all systems. One issue I did run into was that all sounds relevant to the addon appeared to be running through a delay effect, or "echo". The only other addons I had running were MCC Sandbox and CBA.
For what it's worth, "plant Empty, then hop in, go through the startup sequence and then take off" works just fine for me, but I'm getting this reverb issue with the helicopter when firing weapons even when all I have enabled besides this helo is CBA_A3. One additional issue is that for the pilot there's an overlaid HUD that appears when the engines are turned on; this seems to be an Arma 3 engine thing, as it persists even when the IHADSS is toggled off, but when toggled on they're overlapping.

Oh, and the "pointer" for cockpit interaction is too damn small! :D

Great Representation of the AH. In fact probably one of the best since games like Apache Longbow and Apache vs Hind. It shows that this is either one very researched addon or that you have had real experience with the aircraft itself. Well done.

An idea for the start sequence would be to have the "APU ON" caution on the UFD to show that it has been started when selected. Also if possible have MPDs only start with battery and then the IHADSS start with the APU. The burst limit on the gun from what i remember as well is represented in the game can sometimes be a little misleading as a i fired 5 rounds out of a 10 round burst and then proceeded to try fire another ten round burst and was only allowed to fire 5 more. From what I've experienced the AWS burst limit is to limit the amount of rounds fired on one trigger pull and does not add up the total rounds fired from multiple trigger pulls then add a delay when reached.

Just a few ideas that are mainly cosmetic to help polish an already amazing airframe you guys has created.

Thank you for your contribution to the community and good luck.

For what it's worth, "plant Empty, then hop in, go through the startup sequence and then take off" works just fine for me, but I'm getting this reverb issue with the helicopter when firing weapons even when all I have enabled besides this helo is CBA_A3.

Yes, we're on the same page here. I get an echo on all weapons, cockpit doors, etc, plus the default HUD overlay. I'll chalk it up to "not ready for Arma 3 yet" and enjoy it in A2.