Sign in to follow this  
Icarus

Giant Animated Soldier ( Request for help )

Giant Animated Soldier (alpha version), 2.5 times larger

(can use riffle ironsights)

Proof of concept for "Giant - Midget Animating" thread I started earlier: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135749-Editing-rmt-files

This is a request for help. Giant soldier is in ALPHA state, it has some bugs.

The most annoying bug: Sprinting kills your soldier. Does anyone know a solution?

The Giant soldier can be found in the Editor: West -> Units -> Giant_IronSights

Requirements:

Hello OFP/Arma: CWA community. This soldier is made for testing possibilities of using 3D riffle ironsights without those annoying model clipping

errors. It uses a mix of resized ww4mod25(~95%) and IronSight mod animations. The addon is far from perfect and has a number of bugs

like when you throw away you rifle you can no longer pick it up. The most annoying and noticeable bug is SPRINTING BUG - it is

pretty much deadly.

My guess is it may be related to 2.5 times increased moving speed of a solder or it may have conflicts with

either ww4mod25 CfgMovesMC class or it is OFP engine limitation. Any ideas? :(

Edited by Icarus

I was experimenting with something similiar before and found that removing the geometry of the feet prevented the character from dying when sprinting. Try doing that for both Geometry and Fire Geometry of the model.

I was experimenting with something similiar before and found that removing the geometry of the feet prevented the character from dying when sprinting. Try doing that for both Geometry and Fire Geometry of the model.

Thank you Rellikki,

I will definitely try your suggestions and report the results :)

EDIT: Sorry it did not work. Soldiers still die when sprinting :/

Edited by Icarus

I've had the same issue with some creatures I experimented with ages ago - if the running velocity is over a certain level, they take continuous damage. Geometry doesn't influence that behavior, from my experience it's the Landcontact LOD - I didn't find any good workaround yet (except making the units slower). For a bad workaround, I'd suggest increasing the armor values - if the legs are the main affected section, changing that specific value might even do the trick. The issue with not being able to pick up the rifle again results from the unit being too big and the center too far away from the gun holder's action radius.

I've had the same issue with some creatures I experimented with ages ago - if the running velocity is over a certain level, they take continuous damage. Geometry doesn't influence that behavior, from my experience it's the Landcontact LOD - I didn't find any good workaround yet (except making the units slower). For a bad workaround, I'd suggest increasing the armor values - if the legs are the main affected section, changing that specific value might even do the trick. The issue with not being able to pick up the rifle again results from the unit being too big and the center too far away from the gun holder's action radius.

If I understand you correctly, Lenyoga, ITWEAS WOLF addon is the fastest moving unit in OFP that inherits from Man class.

Is this limitation hardcoded into OFP engine?

Yes, it's hardcoded for the man class units (I think it's connected to how the falling damage is simulated). Increasing the armor value a bit, creating a script which finds out how much damage the unit takes during running and undoing that damage over scripts might help, too. I've had a Fellbeast once and changed the unitInfoType to see the armor bar - on faster speeds it's going down pretty fast, even for well-armored units.

@Lenyoga,

Thank you for suggestions. I have no idea about scripting in OFP though.

Maybe someone with better scripting knowledge could help? :butbut:

How much giant it is ? What if you fall from 5m and die ? (5m is nothing for giant soldier, but engine kills creatures if fall from that atitude)

Downloaded and tested it, I'll open it up and try out some ideas I have in mind, once things are a bit less stressful for me. Impressions so far: This looks amazing! Would have never thought the animations work this well.

How much giant it is ? What if you fall from 5m and die ? (5m is nothing for giant soldier, but engine kills creatures if fall from that atitude)

Giant Soldier is 2.5 times larger than standart size soldiers

Downloaded and tested it, I'll open it up and try out some ideas I have in mind, once things are a bit less stressful for me. Impressions so far: This looks amazing! Would have never thought the animations work this well.

Thank you :)

Is the script also able to shrink RTMS?

I think there's a good chance this would work with ArmA1 animations, which would interest me.

They're unbinarized and it's possible to import them to ofpanim etc. OFP based RTMs can also be used in ArmA2 directly (and possibly A3) with only config adjustments.

The Script increases (x > 1) or decreases (x < 1) .RTM animation files.

I have not tried working with Arma1 animations but you can always try and share your experience. :)