Sign in to follow this  
rangerpl

Wargame: AirLand Battle

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this yet, given the popularity of the Wargame: European Escalation thread on here.

Wargame: Airland Battle is the sequel to European Escalation. It retains the scale of W:EE, while adding new depth to the game, such as a dynamic campaign (Total War style), new weapon 'traits' such as KE or Fire and Forget, Radar SAMs, and, of course, airplanes. All of these features greatly expand the gameplay and make it far more entertaining than European Escalation ever was.

There are also several new countries (Canada, Norway, Sweden and Denmark), and the deck-building features have been vastly expanded, with the ability to make nation-restricted decks that enable prototype units but restrict you to the equipment of one country. You can also choose a "specialization", such as Airborne, Mechanized or Air Assault (there are more), which further restricts your choice of units, but allows you to pick up a bonus such as additional experience for some of your troops.

Oh, and they got rid of the bullshit unit-unlocking mechanic! :bounce3:

The game came out in late May.

Is anyone else playing?

Edited by RangerPL

Yah, I am on and off - pretty good sequel imho :)

Yup playing away too. Still havn't found my perfect balance but my USMC-esqe deck is shaping up nicely.

Personally, I find balanced decks to be the most effective.

I heard the campaign is basically a very bad joke. And you still can´t destroy bridges.

I don't like playing with infantry in EE because their portaits, models and anims are pretty lame, not to mention the lasershow that assault squads put on when firing. Have they improved these?

Actually being really enjoying the game, the 'campaign' I have only played the very short one (invasion of Denmark), and it seems a pretty fun thing to do.

I don't like playing with infantry in EE because their portaits, models and anims are pretty lame, not to mention the lasershow that assault squads put on when firing. Have they improved these?

Hell to the yes. What's more, they've added new city combat mechanics as well as much greater variety in the types of units you can get. Plus, you can't get IFVs by themselves anymore, so high-veterancy infantry is almost mandatory.

I heard the campaign is basically a very bad joke. And you still can´t destroy bridges.

Campaign is not necessarily that bad itself but AI makes it pretty bad. Its suppose to be rather realistic so your going to be disapointed if you expect a story with cutscenes. You just get popups about events such as submarine attack or storm. Its kind of like global conquest in C&C 3 Kane's Wrath (last decent C&C?) if you played that. My main grip with this campaing and this game in general is that AI is often plain cheating. Especially if AI is not US or Russia. Maybe they tweaked it in later patches, which I doubt, but I havent played it since release.

And yes, I dont think you can destroy bridges.

On all the videos I watch, infantry seem to just get wiped out in seconds anyways. Are they any use?

On all the videos I watch, infantry seem to just get wiped out in seconds anyways. Are they any use?

They're pretty useless out in the open, but I never look forward to having to dig infantry out of a chokepoint, forest or town. Special forces units are very good too, you can cause some serious damage with a squad of those. Plus, if you run into ATGMs, typically the cheapest way to remove them is by bombarding them with smoke shells and then rushing with your own infantry (mounted in APCs).

ATGM and AA infantry are useful at holding down points like bridges. I once had 3 Dragon teams and 2 stinger teams hold out multiple armoured attacks over a bridge with the only need for support being supply and a mortar vehicle for counter fire.

Regular infantry are only really good for clearing out towns and forests full of other infantry and light vehicles.

You can't split a unit from it's group by clicking its box in the selection screen? And what about turning off zone markers?

Edited by ziiip

You can't split a unit from it's group by clicking its box in the selection screen? And what about turning off zone markers?

Select the group and click Formations and Split should appear.

Select the group and click Formations and Split should appear.

I know that split it there, but I can't split by clicking the unit's box in the bottom of the screen. And that would be the best quickest was to do it, since i may be zoomed out or it's not obvious which unit is damaged based on observing the models .

Edited by ziiip

I want to buy it but I'm waiting for the flash/daily sale if it appears

Shame on me since the game was released like a month ago lol

I want to buy it but I'm waiting for the flash/daily sale if it appears

Shame on me since the game was released like a month ago lol

Same here

We could try posting our id's in steam or ingame to make some coops or PvP's (I have never played the game though)

my steam ID is: nacroxnicke

shoot back.

:) But what I noticed is to make the mission does not last too long and become a drag, makes sure your first set of unit purchases deal a big blow to your contacts so give it some thought when selecting for the respective missions.

The most useful tip for this game is: Recon, Recon, and MOAR Recon.

Anyway, I can send you a link of a "semi-official" comprehensive guide of 140 pags with a lot of information, a lot of food for thought, that will be able to make you feel less lost when playing.

If you play Go like myself you can skip a few pages though. I will not post it here because it would be spam, just pm me on Steam and stuff

I think the biggest thing to remember while playing this game is the importance of combined arms. Having a good mix of AA, aircraft, artillery and infantry to support your push is essential to success.

Also, after a few games you will find that the default decks are very difficult to use (Aka. Bad), it's better to create your own deck, and also that works to know more about the units and weapons.

After a few games I can conclude that the game has tremendous potential, it's a massive crossover between tactical-classics like Close Combat or Combat Mission, with RTS elements like World in Conflict, etc. In fact, it's absolutely well done to the point that when you see a heavy tank attack you can still win the position using the right tactics and decisions.

I have been having a blast playing coop with some friends, and I totally recommend doing that (since communicating while playing is essential and also adds to the immersion while playing)