Sign in to follow this  
tpw

How to change player character's voice?

I'm having no luck getting my player to use any voice other than the default, who sounds like a 50 something US marine drill instructor. In the player profile editor there's currently the option to select 4 speakers: Marc (default); Scott; Robert and RJ. Selecting one will have it say its test phrase "Say again, over". The problem is, no matter what I select, once I'm actually playing something I set up in the editor, the player always use's Marc's voice. Nothing against Marc, I'm sure he's a nice bloke!

So am I doing something wrong here, or is there a bug? I posted a ticket at the feedback tracker but have got nothing back.

I posted a ticket at the feedback tracker but have got nothing back.

Hi, you're right, it is a bug. Can you provide a link to this?

Best,

RiE

Hi, you're right, it is a bug. Can you provide a link to this?

Best,

RiE

It's here. I reviewed it a few days ago, still needs to be processed by BI guys.

Thanks guys, glad it wasn't just me! Any chance of a British player voice (ie yours RiE) at some stage?

Thanks guys, glad it wasn't just me! Any chance of a British player voice (ie yours RiE) at some stage?

Jay Crowe's voice is in ARMA 3, however, it is not selectable from the player menu at the moment.

Hm, I think it's still in data as Male00, so can be set by script if you're in dire need of my own special brand of shouty orders! :D

I think it's even been specially updated with the new recording from the beta... Quite the treat for the ear, I'm sure! :cool:

Not quite so sure about the quality for putting it as a profile option, though!

Best,

RiE

Best,

RiE

If only there was a british faction in the game... *Cough* British Armed Forces 2035 *Cough*...

Hm, I think it's still in data as Male00, so can be set by script if you're in dire need of my own special brand of shouty orders! :D

I think it's even been specially updated with the new recording from the beta... Quite the treat for the ear, I'm sure! :cool:

Best,

RiE

Thanks mate.

I gave it a try but I don't think setidentity works properly. Either that or I'm meant to be doing something differently than in A2.

I made a small description.ext and dropped it into my mission directory:

class CfgIdentities
{
class RiE
{	
name="Royalty InExile";
face="Default";
glasses="G_Tactical_Black";
speaker="Male00"; 
pitch=1;
}; 
};

In the init field of the player or any other units I have: this setidentity "RiE";

Save and reload mission to ensure it's all working, but while player/units inherit the face, glasses and name, they do not inherit the speaker from the description.ext. I've tried "Male00_F", "Male01_F" etc, still no dice. Could this be related to the player not inheriting the speaker from the profile?

Hi

I am looking into how to change the player's voice identity, in my profile, to one of the newly added British accents e.g. "Male03ENGB" I have tried setting this in the Arma3profile.cfg but it doesn't seem to take any effect. Furthermore, the new British accents are not available in the GUI menu options for profiles. There are only 9 USA accents in that menu.

Grateful for any help on how to achieve this.

Cheers

Currently the only way to give your player a British voice is by using a description.ext file in a missions that you make yourself.

class CfgIdentities
{
class the_chief
	{
	name = "Chief";
	face = "Campbell";
	glasses= "G_Tactical_Clear";
	speaker = "Male02ENGB";
	pitch = 1.0;
	}; 
};

Save this as description.ext into your mission directory. Obviously you change the face, specs etc to suit

Then, in the init field of the player:

this setidentity the_chief

• Like 1

Cheers TPW. Much appreciated for the response and heads up.

Shame it's only via the description.ext. BIS Arma 3 team, if you are reading this. Could I please make a request for the British voices to be made available in the player profile?

Many thanks

Chief

when will the British voices be in the profile screen though???

it does say British protocol added right????????

Those voices are only for the campaign characters, as in the CTRG guys. I've managed to get the British voices working however. But, here's the thing about the British voices. They need to be tied into the regular American english 1-9 voices, and work the same way the Altian English and Persian voices work. You select which American voice you want, and then, when you're playing as a Greek character or a Persian character, then you'll speak in that voice. For the Greeks and Persians who have only 4 voices, it's like this:

US|IR/GR

1 1

2 2

3 3

4 4

5 1

6 2

7 3

8 4

9 1

I managed to get the British versions working the same way, but for now am just bundling that in my addon.

Edited by antoineflemming

i was given some news that it will be added properly in the profile screen soon...

there are still some fixes needing to be done then they will be added people!!

source: mr druid

Well there's still the issue of Marc's voice replacing all other voices. I still only hear his voice.

Thing is, I've made an addon (Mediterranean Operations) that among other things makes alternate versions of some of the main characters. Two of them are Miller and Kerry. And I'd like for their voices as well as their faces to be on those units. So I want Kerry to sound and look like Kerry and Miller to look and sound like Miller. I've got the faces down. But can't get the voices working. I can at least get Miller a British voice, but Kerry still sounds like Marc. And I know he has his own voice since you can hear it in the campaign (just call out some radio responses and you'll see).

Edited by antoineflemming

Just wondering if this is what you explained Antoine..

Your saying although the references are there for the male01gre sounds there are placeholders and to achieve a correct sound per the nationality of the unit we use your method of male01eng for the unit and then it plays the correct sound?

Edit

Tried that using the setSpeaker command when im creating the unit and adding Male04ENG... All i get is american voices screaming variuos commands?:-

I have tried:-

_civ setSpeaker "Male04GRE";

All i still get is american voices screaming various commands?

Should i use setidentity route via description.ext instead?

TIA

Champy_UK

Edited by Champy_UK
new findings

Just wondering if this is what you explained Antoine..

Your saying although the references are there for the male01gre sounds there are placeholders and to achieve a correct sound per the nationality of the unit we use your method of male01eng for the unit and then it plays the correct sound?

Edit

Tried that using the setSpeaker command when im creating the unit and adding Male04ENG... All i get is american voices screaming variuos commands?:-

I have tried:-

_civ setSpeaker "Male04GRE";

All i still get is american voices screaming various commands?

Should i use setidentity route via description.ext instead?

TIA

Champy_UK

Are you playing as the AAF? Because, if not, then you'll still sound like an American.

Its basically a script with Blufor as player side and civilians as part of the mission, and i was hoping as the civilians were Greek to be either.. automatically setup as per their nationality or to be able to have them so if they are injured they speak in a greek voice. I am creating the civs and then trying to set speaker or to setidentity, neither currently working.

Thanks

Champy

Edited by Champy_UK
clarity

Its basically a script with Blufor as player side and civilians as part of the mission, and i was hoping as the civilians were Greek to be either.. automatically setup as per their nationality or to be able to have them so if they are injured they speak in a greek voice. I am creating the civs and then trying to set speaker or to setidentity, neither currently working.

Thanks

Champy

So the Altian/Stratian civilians don't sound Greek? Try setIdentity "LanguageGRE_F". I'm not familiar with scripts though so I'm not sure, but you'll have to set the identity to LanguageGRE_F for them to sound like Greeks speaking English ("Altian English").

Still no luck, setidentity is to create a ID in the description.ext. No where can i see how in a mission that you set the language for any type of player or character within the game. Setspeaker apparently works but again for me it doesnt, wondering if the script its all in has a locality issue. Although through testing its both a local and global command.

_civ setIdentity "Greek_Civ"; with setidentity now works to a fashion, as the name i have used for the greek guy gets called out when forming the group but still the voice is US....

class Greek_Civ {

name = "Greek Civilian";

nameSound = "Costa";

face = "GreekHead_A3_01";

glasses = "None";

speaker = "Male01GRE";

pitch = 1.0;

};

Have carried out some mission testing... outside the main mission and the scripts work fine when not combined in the Main mission using setspeaker and also using the lines of script to call the civs... mystified now :(

Thinking its a locality issue in the script within the mission .

Edited by Champy_UK

_civ setIdentity "Greek_Civ"; with setidentity now works to a fashion, as the name i have used for the greek guy gets called out when forming the group but still the voice is US....

class Greek_Civ {

name = "Greek Civilian";

nameSound = "Costa";

face = "GreekHead_A3_01";

glasses = "None";

speaker = "Male01GRE";

pitch = 1.0;

};

Have carried out some mission testing... outside the main mission and the scripts work fine when not combined in the Main mission using setspeaker and also using the lines of script to call the civs... mystified now :(

Thinking its a locality issue in the script within the mission .

Try setIdentity "LanguageGRE_F". not sure if the command can set two consecutive identities like in config files, but try that. As that's the only thing that determines the language.

Turns out it had to be called on all machines to get it to work in our mission. Have overcome it with some funky coding (Thanks Tankbuster) and its all good.

Thanks

Champy UK