Lenyoga

Gun light flash - how to remove or decrease

This issue has been addressed before ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?21923-That-awful-yellow-flash!-get-rid-of-it!&highlight=machine+gun+light+flash ) but not answered yet.

Every gun that fires bullets has this seemingly hardcoded yellow flash that is extremely big with vehicle-mounted guns. I'm right now working on turrets for enclosed, small areas and they'll be in use in rather dark scenarios, so there is an annoying yellow flash over most of the area when the turret fires.

Does anybody know of a way to change this (preferably in the config.cpp - I'm working on a mod, anyway.) Thanks in advance for any replies.

Nope, i never managed to get rid of it.

It's hardcoded into the engine (bound to a specific class no doubt), so it's impossible to get rid of without access.

Not sure if this helps, but there's no flash effect when firing the cannons of the BMP-2 and the Bradley. Might be worth checking their configs (?)

Not sure if this helps, but there's no flash effect when firing the cannons of the BMP-2 and the Bradley. Might be worth checking their configs (?)

This is helpful indeed, I will try around a bit when time allows me to do so again, and might experiment around with deriving the unit from different classes.

Thank you for the input, everyone. A bypass draws closer each day.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

I think I might have found a bypass - the Bradley's cannon (Cannon25HE) is derived from the Default class directly, and not from any basic machine gun class, like MachineGun7_6. Maybe that's the reason the gun flash doesn't appear. This would be enough to make my security cameras and turrets work without any further problems. Thank you, everyone - the problem is as good as solved for my purposes.

I had to deal with this a few days ago, so updating this thread for future reference.

Solution:

shotFromTurret=1;

Setting shotFromTurret to 1 disables the muzzle flash completely, and only smoke puffs are used. It also disables the lighting effects when firing the weapon at night.

See: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgWeapons_Config_Reference#shotFromTurret.3F.3F.3F

I had to deal with this a few days ago, so updating this thread for future reference.

Solution:

shotFromTurret=1;

Setting shotFromTurret to 1 disables the muzzle flash completely, and only smoke puffs are used. It also disables the lighting effects when firing the weapon at night.

See: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgWeapons_Config_Reference#shotFromTurret.3F.3F.3F

So that's what I overlooked... thanks for the update, it'll come in handy!

shotFromTurret is a token for CfgWeapons class. To make it work, it requires a vehicle which features simulation="tank" and obviously a weapon which features shotFromTurret, otherwise it doesn't work (the yellow muzzle flash visible at night is still there).

BTW. Does anyone know the name of the texture and the model of that yellow muzzle flash?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RozekPoland said:

I would like to provide deep insight about shotFromTurret. It requires a vehicle (using  a weapon with this value) to have simulation="tank", otherwise it doesn't work (the yellow muzzle flash visible at night is still there).

BTW. Does anyone know the name of the texture and the model of that yellow muzzle flash?

In the last years I have tried some things and nothing worked. The yellow flash seems to be a hardcoded light source using koulesvetlo as sprite. This is an issue for the TIE Fighters too. It's not fatal, but annoying. Removing it for turrets (tank-based) worked when using Cannon25HE as parent class for the weapon. Some of my memory regarding the TIE Fighter lasers is corrupted, I should give it a try again and see if that works for them, too. Only seems to affect tank class vehicles too.

Yeah. It's always been an annoying "feature". One that's locked into code. It's the light source that drives me mad. But we're stuck with it unfortunately. :whatsthat:

SOLUTION:

It's just a texture named flare00.pac (in data.pbo). If you remove the texture the yellow muzzle flash will disappear. Even though there are 14 other flare textures, the first one is crucial. The texture itself is white so it seems it's hardcoded to be rendered yellow. As @Lenyoga mentioned, the yellow muzzle flash effect is a sprite so apparently it doesn't need any p3d model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RozekPoland said:

SOLUTION:

It's just a texture named flare00.pac (in data.pbo). If you remove the texture the yellow muzzle flash will disappear. Even though there are 14 other flare textures, the first one is crucial. The texture itself is white so it seems it's hardcoded to be rendered yellow. As @Lenyoga mentioned, the yellow muzzle flash effect is a sprite so apparently it doesn't need any p3d model.

Ah, good find. I went wrong with the assumption of it using a 3d object for the sprite like other effects do.

The Flare00.pac texture is linked in two p3ds: Flare00.p3d and ui.p3d. Removing these files from the data3d.pbo doesn't remove the yellow muzzle flash. Removing the texture from the data.pbo is the only way to get rid of the issue.