I must say that while the presentation features are nice, I'm still missing the full functionality of the HTML overview from ArmA 2, where we could control text formatting and the likes, rather than just having a fixed size title, and then fixed size description with a large image in the middle and no formatting.

Actually, as stated in Mission Overview, the description is a structured text, which offers greater customization options than HTML ;)

Ah, that looks better :)

However, how will it work if placed inside a stringtable.xml? Won't the <> confuse the XML parser? In briefing scripts so far I just separated the raw text from the structured parts and merged it back with format, but that won't work in a description.ext file.

XML parser shouldn't have problem with it, a lot of our localized strings are already using structured text tags.

Nice, I'll give it a try.

On a dedicated server though the image cannot be loaded when the admin selects a mission, which on one hand is understandable (as the admin doesn't have the mission files yet), but on the other hand beats the whole point of having an image. Wasn't the image visible in ArmA 2 even if you didn't have the mission file?

On a dedicated server though the image cannot be loaded when the admin selects a mission, which on one hand is understandable (as the admin doesn't have the mission files yet), but on the other hand beats the whole point of having an image. Wasn't the image visible in ArmA 2 even if you didn't have the mission file?

Even if he has the files (previously uploaded to dedi from his machine) it still doesn't show the image. ONLY after having played the mission from the server will the image ever appear. Would surely like to know where that bit of info is stored (on the client or server and where). Have checked the AppData\MPmissionCache folder and MYDocuments\Arma3 folders, etc. and no clue.

I'm assuming the game just doesn't know you have the file until you play the mission once and the pbos are compared. I guess it's not so easy to work around, though, as on a server with lots of missions your client would have to download all missions just to display the mission's image. They would need some system that downloads just the image to the admin when he clicks on said mission, and abort/pause the download if another mission is clicked before the download is compete (so you won't get stuck downloading an image just because you clicked a mission).

Yes, that would seem logical, but then a "default" image supplied by the server would be appropriate and then replaced with the mission's image after having played the mission. So instead of erroring out with an error message requiring a click to continue, a server "default" image would be supplied until the mission image is obtained, would be a better approach.

Hi Moricky,

I have been implementing these into a mission i'm making, but I noticed that in the showcase missions when you open the map there is a showcase tab, that shows a png image with some transparent background area, I'm pretty sure it was basically these images ( 0.jpg0.jpg ) I would like to add that page to my mission so I can include some more visuals, I am a graphic designer and believe I could really help the mission presentation.

How could I add that page? If not maybe there's a way to show image/text on screen, I'll search that next but hopefully there's an easy way to use that page or something similar.

thanks!

Edited by Drow09

Any chance for Briefing (optional) and Establishing shot (optional) documentation on the wiki before release pretty please? :239:

From what I've heard around the campfire they are releasing BI Tools for ArmA3, correct? Or no?

Been trying for awhile to download but always a bad page. Can not do a Mission Presentation

without the Tools to covert images to the .paa format... :nervous:

Ah, man! One of these days I'm going to find something you don't know. :p

Was a bad link or other Tools page then (Arma1?) Thank you!! You da man.

Where do you put the config.cpp file? I can not get the larger background map image to show.

I put it in the Mission Folder. Documentation reads like you already should know 90% of the story.

I'm guessing its a bit more involved than the smaller Mission image?

Map - based on currently loaded world; full screen

As explained in the documentation, the full-screen image is defined by terrain (e.g., Stratis) and it cannot be changed from a mission. Missions can customize the mission 'box", including image, name, description, etc.

1. It is not explained very well at all in the documentation. Spent half the night trying

to figure out why my Map wouldn't load. Read through wiki like 10 times. 99% of us don't

work for BIS, and too many things are explained as if you already would know their world.

2. It would be great to be able to customize the full-screen Image at the user/design

level and give us some more creative control. Here's a screenshot of what mine was

going to look like (WIP) if I made it that far:

p><p>3. This Thread is labeled

to the wiki. A tutorial is supposed to be step-by-step instructions. For example: the

Loading Screen. The wiki (and this Thread) never state for the description.ext file, you

have to set that up in your editor, save-as an .ext file, place in your Mission

Folder which can be found in your Documents >> Arma 3 >> etc... and so on. Not

complaining, just noting. Anyone who's new would be lost if they started here.

UPDATE: kylania pointed me to another description.ext page (see below)

The game is so genius and mind-blowing, its hard to not get worked up over some details

you find that you cannot control, like the Full Screen Loading Background Image. :pray:

Keep up the great work, and we'll see ya on the battlefield!

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 1

/wiki/description.ext :)

Most of the things in #3 you're expected to know by the time you venture into polishing a mission with these sorts of "extras". All of it's documented in other areas as you can see with the link above.

Seriously, you're getting a big hug!!!

Now I fell like a heal. I never made it past the other page.

That's more like it! A zillion options to look into now...

How can I use the mission presentation in the editor? I`m not into learning how to de-pbo any files or stuff. Thanks in advance.

Most of it is either functions you add to scripts or in game or entries you put into the description.ext file. Read the wiki for details. It's all optional stuff, just a nice polish to make your missions look better, not at all required if you're not interested in all of it.

I'm very interested into polishing my missions and releasing them. But I want to keep it simple without installing other tools. Example: Setting weather is easy in editor, setting fog height is not. Releasing a mission in steam is easy, presenting it is not. It shouldn`t be that difficult to present a mission imho.

You can set the fog height with a single command, either in init.sqf or even from a gamelogic on the map if you didn't want to mess with script files. Presenting a mission is very easy. Make a picture, make it 2x1 dimensions, save it your mission folder, put 3 words into a text file and save it as description.ext. Not having a field to fill out is not the same as "difficult".

You can do it all with notepad that comes with windows, too. sqf files are really just text files. Keep in mind, though, that it is a bit easier to read what you are writing and do other kinds of useful stuff if you install notepadd++, especially with the sqf plugin. Also, total commander is quite useful (not just for ArmA, but for windows file management overall). But again, those are just aids - You can do it all in notepad.