Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Movement speed tweaking

Mash: I started as a standard 0311, but I did (eventually) get attached to 1st LAR. In the Coast Guard, I was an ME attached to PSU 313 Shoreside Division. I much preferred that.

Also, what years did you serve, and if it was in the mid-to-late 90's, did you know a skinny redhead named Patterson?

I am much too young :P 05-09 LARs IIRC are meant to travel lighter than average as per their operational goal. That and you were mounted. Not that different from qrf's from what I gather. I can understand our differences in experiences then.

Also negative on the Patterson.

I am much too young :P 05-09 LARs IIRC are meant to travel lighter than average as per their operational goal. That and you were mounted. Not that different from qrf's from what I gather. I can understand our differences in experiences then.

Also negative on the Patterson.

Yeah, LAR units are a lot like QRFs. Occasionally we carried more gear, but not usually.

Also, off topic, you must have been stationed in Anchorage, right? I'm from Fairbanks.

cod may have you turn slower with mg's and such but I cant remember it has been a while.
A quick glimpse at the Call of Duty Wikia has no mention of that. Movement speeds however were explained: for COD4, WAW and MW2 it was based on your character's primary weapon as of when he spawned in ( although this could be tweaked with Overkill or One Man Army), in Black Ops it would change to be based on the currently wielded weapon, in MW3 it would be the lower Mobility between your two carried weapons irrespective of which is wielded which ironically made it the most realistic of the games in this respect, and I'm not sure how it works in Black Ops II. Edited by Chortles

TY for the correction there Chortles! I suppose I have no right to expect more of them if no other game does it. Ft. Richardson/Elmandorf AFB FTW! with the occasional hell trip during the winter to Wainwright

As I noted once, Call of Duty: Black Ops II has

(of
) distinct from the normal weapon-wielding stance while Arma still doesn't. :p Though I believe Vespa explained that lack as an animation-resources thing.

As I've since editted myself, it's ironic that MW3 was actually the most realistic of the modern COD games in how it handled movement speed and "encumbrance", despite the system itself being inherently unrealistic (that is, COD movement speeds being literally based on one or two weapons)... unless you had a Sniper Rifle, a Light Machine Gun or a Riot Shield and you had the Speed proficiency for it, then you might actually move faster with it than with your sidearm because both weapons suffer the encumbrance penalty (from carrying the SR/LMG/Riot Shield) but the Speed proficiency only mitigates the penalty when you're wielding the SR/LMG/Riot Shield. :lol:

Edited by Chortles

As I noted once, Call of Duty: Black Ops II has
(of
) distinct from the normal weapon-wielding stance while Arma still doesn't. :p Though I believe Vespa explained that lack as an animation-resources thing.

Because the shouldered "aim down sights" animation is always in effect in Arma, at no point are you tucking your weapon under your armpit or having it at hip level.

But not always in effect in first-person, which is where people here were questioning the disparity.

I havent played the development build, but in the "live" version the game feels clunky to me right now. Especially the sprint speed.

Doesn't look like a sprint anymore imho, just a slightly faster run. I'd say sprinting is a brief, intense, all out effort, while running is meant to manage stamina and spare energy. I'd have prefered you increase fatigue instead of slowering speed. But I'll do with what I have.

Absolutely. Sprinting is when shit is FUBAR and you need to MOVE YOUR ASS. And you should be exhausted when you finish it. It bugs me not being able to actually sprint. Even in combat gear, you can do a decent sprint in reality. It'd be nice if the sprint was set apart more from other speeds. It's a sprint, it's supposed to be an explosive action. But it feels a bit deflated in A3.

---------- Post added at 04:38 ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 ----------

Because the shouldered "aim down sights" animation is always in effect in Arma, at no point are you tucking your weapon under your armpit or having it at hip level.

Yeah, but most guys in the field don't walk around with a sight picture constantly. There're a lot of different carries. Generally if you're not actively in combat but in a state of readiness, you have your rifle in your shoulder and ready to be brought up, so you can more easily move about and reduce fatigue. It seems weird to me that there's no "out of sights" but still ready carry animation, as it's the sort of thing that should be displayed on a character. It'd help in knowing the awareness of enemies, and with how collision works could help with moving in a state of readiness.

low-ready.jpg

VS

high-ready.jpg

By having a low ready implemented into the game as default you can then start adding in speeds at which you can raise and shoot weapon with slightly fastest speed going to carbines and then slightly worse from there on up.

Hey guys. Anyone got W+S or S+W bound to toggling movement speed? You know that annoying stop your character makes every single time you toggle because you're pressing W (forward) and S (backward) at the same time?

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9382

Made a ticket for it. Should make movement a bit smoother for anyone using W+S for combat pace and S+W for walking pace, like me!

:yay:

This W+S stuff really doesn't do it for me. That was the first thing i changed.

Run/walk back to Shift.

Sprinting to Left Ctrl.

Stance adjust to < (which is between LShift and Z on an English keyboard, I have one with a German layout).

Edited by zimms

"Toggle"... or hold? ;-) The reason I ask this is because in dev branch at least, there's now are greater selection of both "Temporary" (hold to do) and toggle keybinds for infantry movement, and presets which make use of these. As an example, the Arma 3 Alternative has no sprint or combat pace toggle keybinds, but Left Shift is bound to "combat pace temporary" (hold) and Spacebar is "walk or run temporary"... I don't recall walk toggle being bound to anything in this preset.

Also, the left (primary) mouse button is now both "combat pace 3 sec." and fire -- in essence, if your weapon is on semiauto the first LMB click will have the character move into combat pace (thus bringing the weapon up from the "jogging low ready") while the second click will fire the raised weapon; with full auto (fire mode in this preset was rebound to C) you can just hold LMB and the character will start shooting essentially immediately... albeit the first shot will go wide (downward and leftward) since it occurs before the weapon is completely raised.

Try dbl tapping of any key WASD to toggle walk/run.Works great and no weird stops of animations.Then try "HOLD W+S" as sprint.

W+S and S+W work well for me. All I do is move my middle finger down slightly from W to the middle between W and S to toggle combat pace and to toggle walking I put it on S and roll upward gently onto the W button. Shift to sprint naturally.

The only issue is the stopping thing.

I would of course like to put backward, walk, combat pace, run and sprint all on a vertical line but that's not possible on any conventional keyboard unless you do it sideways...

I could bind everything if I used double tapping to run and moved the entire thing down a notch to use X for backward movement but I do think W+S/S+W is a lot more intuitive in that case I'm afraid.

4 movement speeds is one too many really.

Right now I change my stances quickly and intuitively on ZXC but I'm considering putting them all on one button by having Z do "up" (toggles standing/crouching or moves to crouching if prone) and ctrl+Z do "toggle prone" (toggles standing/prone).

Then I would have X and C free to have some fun with.

Anyways there's no reason not to remove that awkward pause your character does when using the W+S/S+W set-up!

Have any of you even considered using hold-to-walk?

Hold what to walk?

There's a "walk or run temporary" control keybind in the dev branch, with the Arma 3 Alternative controls preset in dev branch you have default movement, hold Left Shift for combat pace temporary and hold Spacebar for walk; I've noticed that both of these speed changes seem to be fluid and without the brief stop from the default Arma 3 preset's W+S for walk toggle.

There's a "walk or run temporary" control keybind in the dev branch, with the Arma 3 Alternative controls preset in dev branch you have default movement, hold Left Shift for combat pace temporary and hold Spacebar for walk; I've noticed that both of these speed changes seem to be fluid and without the brief stop from the default Arma 3 preset's W+S for walk toggle.

The reason I don't use 4 different keys for sprint, run, combat pace and walk is because they won't fit nicely on neither my keypad nor keyboard if that's what you're saying.

I think we can all agree that the stamina of the player character in Arma 3 alpha is a cruel joke. I ran kilometers in the military with a weapon and a backpack, but in Arma 3 the player character is unable to run/sprint more than a few meters before defaulting to a slow jog.

Somebody better change this nao. :O

Also, why not have two sprinting speeds. One for when the player char. is rested and one for when it is abit tired. Alternatively, adjusted by encumbrance if BIS doesn't like watching player char. sprint up a hill at maximum speed.

Edited by Treehugger

I think we can all agree that the stamina of the player character in Arma 3 alpha is a cruel joke. I ran kilometers in the military with a weapon and a backpack, but in Arma 3 the player character is unable to run/sprint more than a few meters before defaulting to a slow jog.

Blame the ongoing arguments over sprinting, jogging, walking, fatigue, weight... maybe make a ticket about it or vote on an existing ticket?

@Chortles

Oh sorry, that wasn't clear.

Run/walk is Hold LShift.

Toggle run/walk is 2x LShift.

Okay, so you're actually using the Arma 2 preset then? Or just rebinding those particular commands?

Also, why not have two sprinting speeds. One for when the player char. is rested and one for when it is abit tired. Alternatively, adjusted by encumbrance if BIS doesn't like watching player char. sprint up a hill at maximum speed.

Do not forget perspectives. Saying a weapon and a backpack is quite vague. See myself and AK1287's conversation. Also define your run/sprint. They are similar but very different things.

They need to sort out the encumbrance values for items, add intertia, and something else that I cant think of right now/reserve the right to add later. :P