Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Movement speed tweaking

Dynamo;2382020']i have been asking for this for a while. switching to the left shoulder also known as weak side transition is extremely common in urban combat. when leaning/peaking a left side corner' date=' you ALWAYS switch to the left shoulder. to not do so, you will expose you whole upper body and head to enemy fire. a lot of lessons have been learned in the war in Iraq in this regard, so much so that the military has incorporated most of those lessons into their training regiment.

switching the rifle to the left or right should be linked to the lean keys. lean right and weapon should stay on the right shoulder. when you lean left, it should automatically switch the rifle to the left shoulder, and keep it there until you lean right again just to make things easier for the devs.

right now the only way to transition to the weak side is to do the left step out. this is why i have repeatedly asked to incorporate lean and step out together, where stepping out can be done with the use of lean + modifier key. combining that along with automatically swapping the weapon to either shoulder, will make things more fluid and players wont be falling over them selfs in urban combat.

this of course ultimately comes down to unlocking the stance change keys from WASD. AD for stepping out, and WS for cycling through the stances. nothing more frustrating then trying to adjust your stance hight to peak over an object, and your character runs out from behind cover... urgh.

i would much rather have this : lean left, lean right works normally but now has the weak side transition automatically tied to it. holding left Ctrl + lean left, lean right would be the step out keys, with weak side transition.

left Ctrl + W/S should be removed. the use of W and S is really not that good. instead it could be left Ctrl + scroll wheel up/down. when not holding down Ctrl, the scroll wheel would work normally for the action menu. also adding a "close action menu" option on the top of the action menu would be a HUGE help... i hate it when the damned action menu opens and i have to hit backspace to close it, where then it opens up the command menu.. so i have to hit back space twice every time the action menu opens.. very counter productive.[/quote']

^this, so very much this!

(you can close the action menu with your right mouse button)

^this, so very much this!

(you can close the action menu with your right mouse button)

thats only if you have your right mouse button as default.

the menu closes when you select an action, but if you don't want to select anything, there should be a "Cancel" or "Close" option at the very top. this should also help reduce the occurrences of accidental set off of explosives.

i played around with using the scroll wheel to chance stance (bound "move forward/move back" to scroll up/down).. it is SOOOO much better. if the transition from stance to stance was more smooth/fluid.. good gawd! the only other problem, is not being able to move and cycle through the stances at the same time. there is so much potential here, shame it's not implemented.

having a means of controlling movement speed other than just stop, walk, jog and sprint would be awesome as well. could have a speed system similar to what the stance change is.

like we could have 3-4 speeds for each movement type, were the fastest for one type of movement changes over to the slowest if the next movement type.

ei: [walk] 1>>>2>>>3>>>4 [jog] 1>>>2>>>3>>>4 [run/sprint] 1>>>2>>>3>>>4(balls out springing)

so when you are at walk speed 4 and go one more up, the animation changes to the jog animation. then at jog 4 it changes over to the running animation as the next step. if controlled via the mouse wheel, it would make for an awesome dynamic movement speed control. could have another modifier key for it, say "speed" key. which could also double as a means of controlling the speed of vehicles, as currently there are only 3 speeds for all vehicles.. slow forward, forward and fast forward. i know that the config file has already the commands for shifting through gears (not active), but who knows if BIS will implement it. a linear speed control would be enough if we can't uses gears.

as for controlling vehicle speed via mouse wheel, it would act as a top speed limiter. as in, you press W to move forwards, and scroll up the accelerate. when you release W you slow down, and when you press W again, you need to scroll up to accelerate again. think of pressing W as releasing the clutch, and the scroll wheel as the accelerator. which would work great for reversing as well. if you scroll down while pressing W it acts like braking, and the more you scroll down, the harder you apply the brakes. we already have a hand brake key, and hitting that to slow down for a turn just makes you skid(fun for drifting, not so much for staying in control).

I think those speed changes would be overkill. Remeber that Arma 3 already has the most versatile movement system of all FPS out there. Overcomplicating it would be bad. But defiantely yes to changing the stance via mousewheel.

What I would want to see:

Changing stance with the mousewheel as default. Enabling mousewheel menu if you press or hold some extra key. Maybe this one, it seems to be free "<"

I think those speed changes would be overkill. Remeber that Arma 3 already has the most versatile movement system of all FPS out there. Overcomplicating it would be bad. But defiantely yes to changing the stance via mousewheel.

What I would want to see:

Changing stance with the mousewheel as default. Enabling mousewheel menu if you press or hold some extra key. Maybe this one, it seems to be free "<"

Sorry but... Raven shield.

Sorry but... Raven shield.

Yeah but Raven shield didn´t have 15 different stances.

Yeah but Raven shield didn´t have 15 different stances.

it had one fluid stance.

having the scroll as default stance change would be good too. have an action menu key that have to be pressed to open the menu, and closes when released.

I seem to remember that the only thing that fluid stance was good for in Raven Shield was peering through doors. I much prefer the way ArmA 3 does stances. The only thing I think that could improve is visibility of what stance you are in.

I seem to remember that the only thing that fluid stance was good for in Raven Shield was peering through doors. I much prefer the way ArmA 3 does stances. The only thing I think that could improve is visibility of what stance you are in.

they already added a stance indicator on the top right, just left of the weapon status box.

i'm not asking for fluid leaning and such as in RvS, i just want to be able to adjust my stance hight on the fly as i move through either scroll wheel or dedicated stance up/down keys. having it locked into the WS keys causes more problems and makes using the stance change a pain in the ass.

Yes fluid stance in Raven Shield is completely unusable in combat since you can't even move properly while using it. Not mentioning that RS has no animations for stances, to the side observer your soldier will always look locked in the same animation while from first person it's just floating camera.

ah yeah, they need to take a look at removing some of the hardbound keys and buttons there for sure.

Thanks for your input guys. We are looking into all the issues, will try to deal with as many as possible.

Gave it a little thought; not opposed to folk being able to scroll for stance but not in favor of it for default. Infantry is only one part of ArmA while add action is a holistic function.

Happy to help Smookie.

Want infantry movement to be as good as possible before Beta starts so you can start focusing on other things. It'll be good to get infantry feeling super solid and polished, since it's such a large part of the game.

I think the sprint is too slow, especially when running wityh a hand gun only. Maybe shocking but arma 2 had it quite right.

Oh and stamina runs out after just few meters of sprinting (head gun only) just as like sprinting with full gear on

I would like to ask a dev: To what extent has stamina as intended by devs been implemented? Without this, we can't properly judge the movement speeds in the context of encumbrance/fatigue levels.

normal casual walking is too fast, for example in real life when soldiers patrol casually they move like they are bored . but here in this game "walking" is like soldier wants to pee , too fast too fast :/ please slow down walking to more casual and bored soldier

Are you talking about weapon-lowered walk? Because that is "move like they are bored".

normal casual walking is too fast, for example in real life when soldiers patrol casually they move like they are bored . but here in this game "walking" is like soldier wants to pee , too fast too fast :/ please slow down walking to more casual and bored soldier

You can change the walking speed like using the tactical pace. Fast walk and slow walk.

You can change the walking speed like using the tactical pace. Fast walk and slow walk.

Are you sure? In what dev build can you do that?

Are you sure? In what dev build can you do that?

all of them, try W+S

all of them, try W+S

There is no fast walk and slow walk, just walk. Pressing your tactical pace key while walking does nothing with your weapon lowered

Something I think would add a little more fluidity to the movement is to add in tactical pace to walking speeds.Walking speeds seems to feel clunky to me due to getting stuck into the one speed whereas running and you can alter the speed slightly by toggling tactical pace.So walking speed right now would be the tactical pace and when switched off it would be with weapon slightly lowered and a speed somewhere between walking and jogging.

Something I think would add a little more fluidity to the movement is to add in tactical pace to walking speeds.Walking speeds seems to feel clunky to me due to getting stuck into the one speed whereas running and you can alter the speed slightly by toggling tactical pace.So walking speed right now would be the tactical pace and when switched off it would be with weapon slightly lowered and a speed somewhere between walking and jogging.

or, they could make the movement speed controlled dynamically via the scroll wheel. if you look at the swimming animation, slow swim and normal swim speed use the same exact animation, just one is sped up. the fast swim animation is different.

so, who not make the speed dynamic? just need 3 main animations with the ability is changing the speed at witch the animation is played. walk, jog, sprint. slow walk - casual walk - normal walk - fast walk - speed walk (transition over) slow jog - casual jog - normal jog - fast jog (transition over) sprint - balls out sprinting.

if you put someone on a treadmill and watch them as the speed of the treadmill increases, you will see that they only really have 3 ways of moving. so each of the three movements have a range of slow to fast before changing to the next faster movement method. i don't see why that could not be done for ArmA.

When you prone switching to binocular is too fast.