• Added: New sounds for metal constructions, rock debris for ruins and ancient locations

noticed this when playing the other day. glad it is what i thought it was. very nice touch!

EDIT: also random question about eden. i loved how one could easy copy paste the class name fo a placed object in the 2d editor. is there an equivalent in eden? and if not, could it be added? very useful.

• Like 1

Right click context menu I believe mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What branch is it? I cannot reproduce it.

Ok i just tested on APEX Stable build, and still same issue.  Have you tested using my REPO mission?  This is using scripted tasks....

Example:

[west,["taskIDR3"],["Any weapons found, make sure they are destroyed!", "Secure Weapon Caches", ""],objNull,false,0,FALSE,"destroy",false] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;

EDIT:

I created a ticket as well for tracking purposes...; https://feedback.bistudio.com/T119273

Added a note to your feedback tracker.  I can't repo it either using today's stable build and your mission with no mods.

Would it be possible to make the new Tanoan civilians into their own faction? I pretty much only play ALiVE, which spawns units based on their faction name. The Tanoan civilians are separated into their own section in the civilian section in the editor, but their faction is called CIV_F just like the Greek civs.

Could you guys please give use the same faction naming convention as you did NATO and CSAT by seperating them into CIV_T_F like you did the soldiers pretty please?

• Like 1

Plus 1 to civi factions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am suspecting that a lot of that stuff is left for the Enfusion engine. Personally, I am still hoping for a decent PBR.

As amazing as that would be, I don't think we'll see pbr, thats asking for a rework of the render engine.

As amazing as that would be, I don't think we'll see pbr, thats asking for a rework of the render engine.

If anyone else was as confused as to why people actually want Pabst Blue Ribbon in the game and why it would be so difficult to get some, here's a video explaining what it is... kinda.  Mostly watch it for the epic hair.

If anyone else was as confused as to why people actually want Pabst Blue Ribbon in the game and why it would be so difficult to get some, here's a video explaining what it is... kinda.  Mostly watch it for the epic hair.

Arma could achieve some of these things without going pbr if the engine could support color specular.  One of the interesting things with using tools such as substance painter where you can see these things in real time (which also uses pbr) is that specular color influences so many more things than a simple specular greyscale can.   Lets take for example a piece of equipment which needs to have a different specular highlight because white just isn't correct, we need individual rvmats to achieve this  effect http://cobyfoden.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/8/1/2681906/specular-color_1.jpgwhich means at best unique UV's and at worst the same texture with a different rvmat, having specular color would remove the necessity for multiple rvmats to achieve this, not only that but the range becomes much wider.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you know that most of the challenge leaderboards are bugged. There are folks with 1-20 seconds scores.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you know that most of the challenge leaderboards are bugged. There are folks with 1-20 seconds scores.

Indeed. Let's just say that it's quite hard to make tamper-proof given the openness of the Arma 3 platform. We do plan to tighten the system for Leaderboards. The Leaderboards are mostly nice for comparing records with your Steam friends, rather than with the global top (whose times are indeed not all feasible without exploits). Just hope that your friends are above board ;)

• Like 1

Arma could achieve some of these things without going pbr if the engine could support color specular.  One of the interesting things with using tools such as substance painter where you can see these things in real time (which also uses pbr) is that specular color influences so many more things than a simple specular greyscale can.   Lets take for example a piece of equipment which needs to have a different specular highlight because white just isn't correct, we need individual rvmats to achieve this  effect http://cobyfoden.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/8/1/2681906/specular-color_1.jpgwhich means at best unique UV's and at worst the same texture with a different rvmat, having specular color would remove the necessity for multiple rvmats to achieve this, not only that but the range becomes much wider.

Yeah but it isn't only that. One thing I find difficult in Arma is achieving a good specularity look. PBR's principle of energy conservation means that the more specular a surface is, the less diffuse it becomes. In Arma however (and I might be completely off here), it seems to me as if specularity adds to the surface, making a specular surface appear very shiny and wet. I have a very hard time reproducing what I get in Quixel Suite within Arma 3. Specularity and especially gloss seem to be a matter of trial-and-error.

Having said that, It certainly is annoying to have to use a completely different material just to have brass look correct.

• Like 1

Gah!

14:28:25 VM busy 4015529984 B (reserved 312389632 B, committed 3703140352 B, mapped 326795264 B), free 279306240 B
14:28:25 Small mapped regions: 24, size 110592 B
14:28:25 Virtual memory total 4095 MB (4294836224 B)
14:28:25 Virtual memory free 283 MB (297119744 B)
14:28:25 Physical memory free 9265 MB (9715302400 B)
14:28:25 Page file free 4958 MB (5199695872 B)
14:28:25 Process working set 2603 MB (2730094592 B)
14:28:25 Process page file used 3126 MB (3278155776 B)
14:28:25 Longest free VM region: 7274496 B
14:28:25 VM busy 4015529984 B (reserved 312385536 B, committed 3703144448 B, mapped 326795264 B), free 279306240 B
14:28:25 Physical memory free 9265 MB (9715306496 B)
14:28:25 Page file free 4958 MB (5199695872 B)
14:28:25 Process working set 2603 MB (2730131456 B)
14:28:25 Process page file used 3126 MB (3278196736 B)
14:28:25 VM busy 4015529984 B (reserved 312344576 B, committed 3703185408 B, mapped 326795264 B), free 279306240 B
14:28:25 Physical memory free 9265 MB (9715294208 B)
14:28:25 Page file free 4958 MB (5199724544 B)
14:28:25 Process working set 2603 MB (2730119168 B)
14:28:25 Process page file used 3126 MB (3278143488 B)
14:28:25 VM busy 4015529984 B (reserved 312397824 B, committed 3703132160 B, mapped 326795264 B), free 279306240 B
14:28:25 DX11 error : CreateTexture failed : E_OUTOFMEMORY
14:28:25 CreateTexture failed : w = 2048, h = 2048, format = BC3_UNORM, err = E_OUTOFMEMORY.
14:28:25 Virtual memory free 272 MB (285847552 B)
14:28:25 Physical memory free 9256 MB (9706344448 B)
14:28:25 Page file free 4948 MB (5188435968 B)
14:28:25 Process working set 2614 MB (2741383168 B)
14:28:25 Process page file used 3137 MB (3289436160 B)
14:28:25 Longest free VM region: 5505024 B
14:28:25 VM busy 4026802176 B (reserved 312393728 B, committed 3714408448 B, mapped 326795264 B), free 268034048 B
14:28:25 VID: dedicated: 3221225472, shared 1073676288, system: 0, max: 2906652672, used: 2557157376
ErrorMessage: DX11 error : CreateTexture failed : E_OUTOFMEMORY
  • Like 2

Yeah but it isn't only that. One thing I find difficult in Arma is achieving a good specularity look. PBR's principle of energy conservation means that the more specular a surface is, the less diffuse it becomes. In Arma however (and I might be completely off here), it seems to me as if specularity adds to the surface, making a specular surface appear very shiny and wet. I have a very hard time reproducing what I get in Quixel Suite within Arma 3. Specularity and especially gloss seem to be a matter of trial-and-error.

Having said that, It certainly is annoying to have to use a completely different material just to have brass look correct.

Agreed that specularity and gloss are trial and error, especially when you start to push into the extremes and the specularity becomes 'frosted' but its not that smooth frosted, it looks very...edgy?

I'm not familiar with quixel suite but how close is it to say substance painter, do you paint via materials which come with set properties for their fresnel IOR and does it use HDRI maps to project its lighting onto the materials?

Have you tinkered with the fresnel value in the super shader rvmat?  It makes a huge difference, I ran circles trying to bash my head into a wall because something I made which should be flat was too glossy and 'wet' at several angles despite the gloss channel being almost white.   Dialing the fresnel value back to say 1.01N and 0.7K with 45 specular power and 0.5 specular helped.

I tried various values from the biki but with the lighting update a lot of things seem more chaotic right now, it certainly doesn't help that we have 0 reference outside of packing it up and looking at it ingame which can cost up to hours of development.

• Like 1

Agreed that specularity and gloss are trial and error, especially when you start to push into the extremes and the specularity becomes 'frosted' but its not that smooth frosted, it looks very...edgy?

I'm not familiar with quixel suite but how close is it to say substance painter, do you paint via materials which come with set properties for their fresnel IOR and does it use HDRI maps to project its lighting onto the materials?

I suppose it is, I have only seen a few videos of Substance painter, and in general, it looks very similar. Here's a sample video of Quixel:

I like it because it is a photoshop plugin and can therefore also use Photoshop's tools for masking.

Have you tinkered with the fresnel value in the super shader rvmat?  It makes a huge difference, I ran circles trying to bash my head into a wall because something I made which should be flat was too glossy and 'wet' at several angles despite the gloss channel being almost white.   Dialing the fresnel value back to say 1.01N and 0.7K with 45 specular power and 0.5 specular helped.

I tried various values from the biki but with the lighting update a lot of things seem more chaotic right now, it certainly doesn't help that we have 0 reference outside of packing it up and looking at it ingame which can cost up to hours of development.

Never tinkered with fresnal, thanks for the heads-up, I mostly ignored that up to now. I agree, I wish there was more documentation on the new lighting update. I noticed that for example dark areas tend to become very dark (black ACOG starts to look like a black hole), but the HAMR scope shows that specularity in general is improved, I just fail to get there myself... That's why I think proper PBR would make life much easier. When I render my model in Quixel it looks much better than I get it to look in Arma.

I suppose it is, I have only seen a few videos of Substance painter, and in general, it looks very similar. Here's a sample video of Quixel:

I like it because it is a photoshop plugin and can therefore also use Photoshop's tools for masking.

Never tinkered with fresnal, thanks for the heads-up, I mostly ignored that up to now. I agree, I wish there was more documentation on the new lighting update. I noticed that for example dark areas tend to become very dark (black ACOG starts to look like a black hole), but the HAMR scope shows that specularity in general is improved, I just fail to get there myself... That's why I think proper PBR would make life much easier. When I render my model in Quixel it looks much better than I get it to look in Arma.

It seems that both tools use HDRI's to project the scene lighting..makes sense.  But that means we're dealing with pre-determined light coloration and intensity vs arma's fluid and very likely different,  then we toss in painting with materials which in arma's perspective would be assigning individual rvmats because we have specular color and emissive values.

I wonder if the hurdle we're experiencing isn't so much specularity as much as exposure values which in turn effect everything, it would make sense considering the drastic appearance change in some things such as the way the MX series takes shadows, darks looking more black and so on.  It's funny in a way to think our textures were what they would appear as in light, now its the reverse.

Guys @BIS, it'd be great to have an answer on what you're planning to do with Arma 3 lackluster death animations / ragdoll.

To be brutally honest - it sucks major balls. I splendidly dislike the delay between a critical / deadly shot "received" and ragdoll animation playtime.

For ex., when you give a deadly headshot to an enemy, it takes approx. 0.5-1s for him to enter ragdoll mode and react to bullet's impact.

I've just played OFP with friends yesterday - and even OFP (a 2001 game, come on...) has more realistic death animations and unit reactions on time.

Please solve this before a new Arma is released. Thank you, guys.

Curious to know if anyone could clear this entry from the 1.62 changelog up:

Fixed: The closeOnMissionEnd parameter would close also a mission's briefing screen

What exactly is this parameter referring to? It sounds like it might something used in display configs, but I can't say I've noticed it anywhere before.

It seems that both tools use HDRI's to project the scene lighting..makes sense.  But that means we're dealing with pre-determined light coloration and intensity vs arma's fluid and very likely different,  then we toss in painting with materials which in arma's perspective would be assigning individual rvmats because we have specular color and emissive values.

I wonder if the hurdle we're experiencing isn't so much specularity as much as exposure values which in turn effect everything, it would make sense considering the drastic appearance change in some things such as the way the MX series takes shadows, darks looking more black and so on.  It's funny in a way to think our textures were what they would appear as in light, now its the reverse.

It's definitely part of the problem. I have to set the specular values really low in Quixel (like, 10%) for a shiny surface or it will just look wet. It's mostly frustrating to design your texture in a PBR renderer and then find out how it turns out in game, which is when the trial and error starts :)

OMG YES THEY ADDED "EAU DE COMBAT" TO THE OST!

#worthTheW8

However I didn't found the digital map of Tanoa.

--EDIT : however, An Unknown Enemy was better on "leaked" versions :

Speaking of soundtrack, why is Solar Power missing? It's one of the most atmospheric tracks in the game, and it came out with the alpha, so it's odd that it isnt there.

Eating mags confirmed. Every-time i pick up a gun, it eats the mags, sometimes leaves only a single mag in the weapon, other times no mags period.

Can anyone confirm that weather syncing isn't work again. I noticed it while playing the Escape from Tanoa (Unofficial) mission.

HUGE BUG!!!  Before big release:

Tasks disappear after Saving, closing Arma, and then loading saved game after game restart.

REPO Mission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9abrfqkhq9xqqyu/TesTTASKRELOAD.Tanoa.pbo?dl=0

Load the scenario, and save & exit arma.  Reload arma, and load up the saved file and Tasks are gone.  Tested VANILLA

When i first experienced this the behavior was worse where all of the briefing info was missing, along with squad screen showing blank.

I would love to get some more eyes on this.  I posted an update today (see link below) with video showing the issue as well.  If anyone can help review, i would appreciate.  Video included.  Thanks all;

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T119273

• Like 1

I wish we had the tactical ping, that was such a useful system. But I guess we have to wait a bit longer for that to come into the game.