Well - the Mi-48 gun is bugged even more now ;)

Yeah, the proper files will arrive in next dev update.

The cause of the sound location bug is the change from July 1st: Tweaked: Spatialization of loud sounds

This almost completely removed the stereo downmixing of close and loud sounds. For example, the footsteps were equally loud in all the channels before because they come from really close.

Before the change, a gunshot 20m away on your right played the sound with only about 10% lower volume on your left channel. It was really hard to detect the direction of these sounds.

Now a gunshot at 10m on your right:

http://i.imgur.com/3ZrUZVQ.jpg

I don't think this is very realistic, unless your ears are directional microphones.

Actually, this is exactly how it should be. The game should be made to run on a speaker system, not headphones. If this sound is played through a speaker system, then both of your ears will pick it up. The problem you are mentioning only happens with headphones, but that is solved by using virtual surround on your sound card. If the game is tuned to sound good using headphones, then it will be broken for those who use speakers, so thats bad. BI did the right thing here.

Actually, this is exactly how it should be. The game should be made to run on a speaker system, not headphones. If this sound is played through a speaker system, then both of your ears will pick it up. The problem you are mentioning only happens with headphones, but that is solved by using virtual surround on your sound card. If the game is tuned to sound good using headphones, then it will be broken for those who use speakers, so thats bad. BI did the right thing here.

A correct mix should play in a similar way and with minimum differences on both systems. That is why one mix with speakers and headphones and not only with speakers or only with headphones.

EDIT:

Also, some games has audio settings where you switch between headphones/speakers settings.

Edited by Bouben

A correct mix should play in a similar way and with minimum differences on both systems. That is why one mix with speakers and headphones and not only with speakers or only with headphones.

No, I don't agree with that. It's a bad compromise that will never sound right on any system. Always use speakers as reference. Headphone users can then use third party virtual surround systems to get a good experience. I am mainly a headphone user by the way.

No, I don't agree with that. It's a bad compromise that will never sound right on any system. Always use speakers as reference. Headphone users can then use third party virtual surround systems to get a good experience. I am mainly a headphone user by the way.
How would you do that? I have no experience with audio and such, but I use headphones on Realtek drivers.

Yay!

You're right, it didn't even occur to me that someone would play Arma with speakers.

that is BS. If it works well on hadphones it will also work well on speakers

How would you do that? I have no experience with audio and such, but I use headphones on Realtek drivers.

Yay!

Some of the realtek drivers have virtual surround but it's a really crappy implementation in my opinion. If you have it, then there will be a checkbox somewhere in your sound card settings that says "Dolby Headphone", "Virtual surround" or something similiar. This future will take a multi channel surround mix and apply HRTF function and room simulation and output as two channel sound. If used with headphones, you will be able to position the sound, not just left and right, but also front and back. Be sure to turn it off if you use speakers. It only sounds right through headphones.

Other sound cards have better virtualisation, like the ASUS Xonar series for example, are pretty convincing in my opinion. There are also third party software available that does the same thing regardless of what soundcard you have.

If you want to know how this works, then you should read about binaural recordings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

Virtualisation basicly tries to mimic a binaural recording using HRTF, reverb and such effects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrtf

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

that is BS. If it works well on hadphones it will also work well on speakers

No. Speakers and headphones are very different in regards of positioning. Read the links I posted above. What works for speakers does not work for headphones and vice versa.

No. Speakers and headphones are very different in regards of positioning. Read the links I posted above. What works for speakers does not work for headphones and vice versa.

Not all speakers user virtualization, be it hardware or software. So yeah, bullshit.

Not all speakers user virtualization, be it hardware or software. So yeah, bullshit.

I'm sorry, but that sentence makes no sense. Can you rephrase that so I can have a fair chance to understand, and reply to you?

Decreased general sway and breathing distortion speeds by 20%

Decreased lateral sway movement by 20%

Seems like they fixed the sway :) I hope they release a hotfix for the stable branch .

No. A skilled mix engineer can minimize differences while also keep it sounding correctly. You just have to forget about extreme panning. You also have to have a correct audio engine that is manipulating stereo width correctly and dynamically (dynamic changing of width according to the distance from the source and according to the panning).

I mix audio quite often so I know it is doable.

No. A skilled mix engineer can minimize differences while also keep it sounding correctly. You just have to forget about extreme panning. You also have to have a correct audio engine that is manipulating stereo width correctly and dynamically (dynamic changing of width according to the distance from the source and according to the panning).

I mix audio quite often so I know it is doable.

And how do you account for the time shift between the channels? You as a mixer have no idea where the listener places his/her speakers. It's a good way of ruining the experience for speaker users.

And how do you account for the time shift between the channels? You as a mixer have no idea where the listener places his/her speakers. It's a good way of ruining the experience for speaker users.

There are some rules how to position your speakers. If you don't position them according to the rules, you cannot expect a good audio experience no matter the quality of the speakers. Simple as that. Period. There is nothing an engineer can do about it (stereo-wise).

It is the same thing as if you would try to compensate for mixes being played in a bathroom or a concrete tube. Nothing you can do about it, really.

Remember, correct speakers placement and correct room treatment is a priority. Only after that comes more expensive speakers and other stuff in the "chain".

I have used samples measurement instead of seconds :

class FullAuto : Mode_FullAuto
{
begin1[] = {"speedofsound_realsound_ebr\ebrfullauto1", 10, 1,500, {0, 6000}};
begin2[] = {"speedofsound_realsound_ebr\ebrfullauto2", 10, 1,500, {0, 6000}};
begin3[] = {"speedofsound_realsound_ebr\ebrfullauto3", 10, 1,500, {0, 6000}};
begin4[] = {"speedofsound_realsound_ebr\ebrfullauto4", 10, 1,500, {0, 6500}};
begin5[] = {"speedofsound_realsound_ebr\ebrfullauto5", 10, 1,500, {0, 6000}};
begin6[] = {"speedofsound_realsound_ebr\ebrfullauto6", 10, 1,500, {0, 6000}};		
soundBegin[] = {"begin1", 0.16666, "begin2", 0.16666, "begin3", 0.16666, "begin4", 0.16666, "begin5", 0.16666, "begin6", 0.16667};
};

It still loops the whole sample.

P.S There's no way someone outside of the development team could have worked out that you had chosen "samples" as the measurement system, this is the sort of info that needs to go into the chnage log.

Sound in Arma is a very gray area, especially when it comes to some of the class parameters, perhaps pettka if you get a chance when you speak to the sound devs you could also ask them for an explanation of how the sound cone works for air vehicles too.

Regards

Bp

Any chance of this feature getting fixed?

I have to add another bit for the game and their relative immersion with the sounds now, well at this stage of development of the game if I throw parachute to open what is my surprise that there is no sound to generate some immersion when the parachute opening. :protest::803:

This game really needs to be reviewed by a team of experts to locate these small details. Well we're going to make the game continuously developing ... open to wait for 2015 :smash::622:

- Decreased general sway and breathing distortion speeds by 20%

- Decreased lateral sway movement by 20%

- Increased time window of holding breath to 8 seconds (previously 6) but also slightly decreased the time needed for holding breath to take full effect. Breathing speed values restored to previous values, speed decrease has meaning only for lateral sway.

Interesting. The lateral sway decrease is very welcome because if you're positioned well especially prone the sway is more up and down and there's only minimal lateral sway.

Interesting. The lateral sway decrease is very welcome because if you're positioned well especially prone the sway is more up and down and there's only minimal lateral sway.

I don't like it.

The cause of the sound location bug is the change from July 1st: Tweaked: Spatialization of loud sounds

This almost completely removed the stereo downmixing of close and loud sounds. For example, the footsteps were equally loud in all the channels before because they come from really close.

Before the change, a gunshot 20m away on your right played the sound with only about 10% lower volume on your left channel. It was really hard to detect the direction of these sounds.

Now a gunshot at 10m on your right:

http://i.imgur.com/3ZrUZVQ.jpg

I don't think this is very realistic, unless your ears are directional microphones.

exactly that is what i was showing in my videos.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152866-General-Discussion-%28dev-branch%29&p=2731158&viewfull=1#post2731158

your ears are not directional microphones. best way to explain that soundbug.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19755

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19678

I don't like it.

You are probably only one :D

because having a strong lateral sway is a nonsense unless you got injured hands

Wow someone really got their coder pants on at BIS, today's update has so many improvements good to see they finally fixed the DMS red dot.

I'm interested to see how the new camera lock command works.

Added: New "Arsenal" module (when placed on top of a unit, Zeus can configure its loadout)

This was really welcomed! But If I may suggest - If I change unit's loadout and then copy paste it, it still does have old loadout. Can you please make it to be copied even with updated loadout please?

+ I would really love to see "Edit equipment" tab in editor that will refer to this new arsenal function :-)

Really nice job anyway! I love the other fixes!