Donner

Vegetation Texture Pop-Ups Still Ugly

It has been said, that functioning mirrors can eat half of your framerate. In Toncis Video you can see, that the inside mirror of the vehicle was activated. I have already deactivated this option and I suggest to test it other way round.

Can this be altered to test out frames on the lod popping in A2 i got most of the popping gone by getting a ssd that worked, now in a3 its worse that a2 was I havent tried it yet but might do and see if i get a better result through upping the frames in the config.

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

Resolution_W=1280;

Resolution_H=1024;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=800;

Render_H=600;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=520978432;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=0;

AToC=0;

PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0;

serverLongitude=2147483647;

serverLatitude=2147483647;

It has been said, that functioning mirrors can eat half of your framerate. In Toncis Video you can see, that the inside mirror of the vehicle was activated. I have already deactivated this option and I suggest to test it other way round.

You are right, Disabeling PIP fixes the issue

But I think this can´t be the solution.

It doesn´t matter if I have PIP on high, or low, the problem will persist. My FPS are above 30 all the time. The most annoying thing is the rapid back and forth switching of the LODs. I suspect somethign is wrong there.

I get this with full buildings also: they will get stuck inbetween LODs and start flickering every 100ms between two. THAT needs to be fixed first. I saw a lot of it in the video above. It's not just abrubt switches and uncoordinated textures, but also this twitching between LODs.

There seem to be a ton of "flickering texture" issues on the tracker for many different textures, so it's hard to just upvote one into prominence. So....

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6285

You are right, Disabeling PIP fixes the issue

But I think this can´t be the solution.

It doesn´t matter if I have PIP on high, or low, the problem will persist. My FPS are above 30 all the time. The most annoying thing is the rapid back and forth switching of the LODs. I suspect somethign is wrong there.

It doesn't for me. I had PiP disabled for quite some time, and I still see texture popping.

If you set Object detail to High (or higher), there shouldn't be any LOD switching. Lower settings are useless.

But running on high or very high, object detail, has a negative(huge) impact on FPS. The option to run with lower settings is there to be used by people.

Experiencing LOD switching because of that shouldn't be an option. BIS should try to find a solution to make the product more popular and enjoyable.

Actually I haven't noticed much difference in FPS between low object detail or very high, changing view distance and object visibility helps with the FPS a lot more. But yeah, flickering with low settings is really bad, and probably a bug that will(?) be fixed.

object detail is indeed the most painfull tradeoff, between popping up LOD levels and performance.

if you put object detail on very high or ultra, the transition between LODs is quite acceptible but it really does suck a lot of frames, for me about 10 fps from low to ultra, thats critical for me since i run around 30-40 fps with my setup!

but that is really two different pair of shoes, detail levels that pop up noticably and FLICKERING!

i hope they will find a way to work around both issues, the flickering for me has priority over popup LODs, it would make it more bearable if it wasnt for the epileptic flickering....

As I recall, putting Object Detail on V.High was a workaround in Arma2OA, which was actually a reversion to earlier code after the LOD switching started happening or got worse with one of the betas. I believe they said they were working on a better solution but that it would take some time, which was why they gave us the workaround in the meantime, so hopefully they'll get this solution ready for A3 final release.

The same trick as used in ArmA 2 to gain some fps by changing the "SceneComplexity" setting in the "ArmA3AlphaProfile" can be set higher but it will cost you fps.

ETA: Just double checked, seems that setting is now the "Objects Quality" slider in game.

Edited by SIMJEDI

Putting the object details on "very high" is not a solution. My performance drops with 15-20 FPS without real visual quality improvement. Plus it doesnt fix all anyway, the flicker still occurs, it is just reduced.

well on very high, it should be significantly reduced, but now you angry about it and your perception is selective`?

Putting the object details on "very high" is not a solution. My performance drops with 15-20 FPS without real visual quality improvement. Plus it doesnt fix all anyway, the flicker still occurs, it is just reduced.

I don´t think it is reduced, it happens just farther away from you and is not so noticable because of that.

The new dev branch patch seems to fix or reduce it for me... At least I didn't notice the grass pop-up anymore(yet). But the trees/tree leaves still noticeable when the lod changing

On a side note: I do have Object Quality and texture quality on high.

The new Dev Build didn´t fix the issue.

On a side note: I do have Object Quality and texture quality on high.

The new Dev Build didn´t fix the issue.

If I recall correctly, Object Quality had to be on V.High in A2 to reduce the LOD switching, so you might want to try that.

I run with my object quality on low and terrain detail standard and have experienced minimal texture popping compared to ArmA 2, also when i turned both settings up I didn't see any flickering, maybe a hardware issue?

I don't think this is the solution. Raising the object details is not an option for people playing with low-mid end systems.

Definitely not a hardware issue, Rumpii. This, I believe, should be solved by BIS.

Im running maxed out and I still get some crazy LOD popping, on an SSD, 16GB ram, GTX 680.

I think a recent update made the really trippy lodding worse yeah but I'm pretty sure it will get better by beta.

I would say it is hardware related.

If you can afford a SSD with E.g. 256GiB, it could fix the problem.

That's enough space for Windows and ArmA3 together.

It seems as if ArmA3 can address 8 GiB RAM now.

About the settings, have you tried to lower your setting a little bit?

no way, ssd user here and i have loads of flickering trees at 20/30 m

I run with my object quality on low and terrain detail standard and have experienced minimal texture popping compared to ArmA 2, also when i turned both settings up I didn't see any flickering, maybe a hardware issue?

Coincidence. I run this same setting setup and I too have noticed that LOD flickering is actually lower at these settings than at higher. Odd.

Coincidence. I run this same setting setup and I too have noticed that LOD flickering is actually lower at these settings than at higher. Odd.

Please bear in mind this was a long time ago! Played on the latest Dev build briefly yesterday and I did notice LOD flickering, but it was only on buildings. Also, at the air strip for a long time now, the bushes that used to be green down the middle part of the air strip look dead up close - just branches. I am also using an SSD which might explain why I didnt get any flickering before, but I definitely am getting flickering on buildings with the latest Dev build, so im pretty sure its a problem on BI's part at the moment.

/Rumpii