Tao Folding Map will allow you to toggle a usefully-large map anytime in game by pressing Shift-M. It will automatically close when you open the big map or open your gear. Of course it does not restrict your movement or anything.

tsm-small.jpg

A paper version is also available:

papermap.jpg

It is unique in that it is not centered on your current position. Instead, it is 'folded' into areas. This lets you keep a continuous perspective on the battlefield. The page is changed automatically when you cross over the edge.

You can zoom in and out by pressing Shift-Ctrl-Numpad +/-.

You can change to a night mode by pressing Shift-Ctrl-N. Sorry, the map is not perfect -- some colors are hardcoded it seems.

All keybindings can be changed via Main Menu -> Configure -> Controls -> Configure Addons.

If you have a GPS or are playing on Regular or lower, your position will be shown. Map markers are shown.

REQUIRES CBA 1.1.20.150408 RC6 or LATER for ARMA 3 (@CBA_A3)

Download for ARMA 3: Tao Folding Map 2.7.0 for Arma 3 (zip)

Key is included. ADMINS: YOU MUST UPDATE THE KEY IF GOING FROM 2.1 -> 2.3 OR LATER.

Install: Copy the contents of the zip file into into the same directory as arma3.exe. Launch Arma 3, go to Options, Expansions, click on @tao_foldmap_a3 and click Enable. You're ready to use it. (Requirements should be installed the same way.)

Changes:

- CBA 1.1.20.150408 RC6 or later is required.

- Updated to use newest cba_fnc_addKeybind.

- CBA 1.0.8.14023 RC3 or later is required.

- Added scaling values for many new BI and community maps. Thanks to Gundy!! (Bukovina, PR FATA, Ft. Benning, Celle 2, Bystrica, Fallujah)

- CBA 1.0.7.140710 RC2 or later required.

- Use CBA Keybinding system to allow users to change keybinds in game via Main Menu -> Configure -> Controls -> Configure Addons.

- UserConfig file is no longer used or needed.

- Map can be persistently repositioned on the screen via the Configure Map menu (default Ctrl-Shift-Alt-M).

- Map can be changed between paper and tablet formats in-game via the Configure Map menu.

- Map now gently shakes when running or sprinting.

- Internal refactoring to improve display, paging reliability, and performance.

- Fix ctrl modifier for custom key binds.

- Fix duplicate display in Expansions list.

- Paper map can now be chosen in the user config. Red nightvision mode will not be available. Default is still tablet.

- Re-add zx64 & Dslyecxi-inspired darkening/dimming code for night.

- Fix status bar draw size at interface scales other than Normal.

- Fix variable name in config to make sense.

- Add configurable keybinds, off by default. See UserConfig\tao_foldmap_a3\tao_foldmap_a3.hpp.

- Resolve some missing semi-colons in config.cpp.

- Incorporate map scaling fixes by 1212PDMCDMPPM.

- Incorporate and improve zoom feature by 1212PDMCDMPPM. Now works w/ folding. Press Shift-Ctrl-Zoom In/Out (default 'numpad +/-')

- Added night mode -- press Shift-Ctrl-Night Vision (default 'n') while the map is open. Sorry it doesn't look perfect.

- Fixed edge flickering FOREVER.

- More responsive close.

- Changed to Extended_PostInit from Extended_PreInit.

- New GUI trimmings.

- Map markings changed slightly.

- Use Arma 2 road coloring.

- Check for map in player's inventory. If player lacks a map, don't show the folding map. Don't show position unless difficulty is Regular or below or player has a GPS. Couldn't figure out how to do this in A3!

- Made for Arma 3.

- Fix for another flickering border corner case. I think the flickering bug is gone for good.

- Map made slightly smaller on the screen.

- Signed for online use.

- Fix flickering map under certain border cross conditions.

- Initial release.

Edited by Taosenai
2.7.0 released
  • Like 1

it reminds me of the maps pilots sometime have on their leg holder, normally on the fold for the OP's area.

and thats what i've been using it for, its great for lining up CAS runs, and ploting inserts and extracts for LZ's

Please note : this mod kills FPS.

110 FPS when no map opened

80 when opened

Something is wrong.

That's interesting. Some command within the draw event handler may be unusually demanding. I would guess ctrlMapScreenToWorld. Seems like as I developed more and more commands got moved into that handler rather than into the second, less frequently cycled update 'thread.'

Alternately, simply having a map on screen may cause that loss of FPS. Considering the delay on opening/closing the big map, this isn't out of the question.

I will move some code around and see if it resolves the issue.

PS. This slow down is not particularly noticeable when you don't have so many FPS to spare, I think, which may be related to how often Arma refreshes the draw handlers of dialogs depending on current graphics performance. No one running at or around 60 FPS has ever noticed/reported this.

PS. This slow down is not particularly noticeable when you don't have so many FPS to spare, I think, which may be related to how often Arma refreshes the draw handlers of dialogs depending on current graphics performance. No one running at or around 60 FPS has ever noticed/reported this.

Hmm. Maybe it's because of that then. Anyway thanks for the answer.

Nice idea, lets see if it works.

Works like a charm. Job well done.

Edited by MyFarewell

Of course it works! You think I would go and release something broken? ;) (Maybe!)

I looked into the FPS loss, and shifted much of the updating code into a second less frequently running loop, but there is still a meaningful FPS drop when the map is open, even when updates are only being done every 2 seconds (as a test case). It seems that simply drawing the map is fairly taxing. If you open the GPS, which is very small and simple, you'll notice an FPS hit too.

The next version will be slightly more efficient as a result of these changes in any case.

Finally got the chance to use this after downloading it for A2 and wow! Really good job on it, this has been missing from the ArmA series for a long time. Nice work!

Bravo and thank you for your addon Taosenai !!

I think your mini map is really great and well thought out.

Bis should take into account in his game.

Wow, this is rather clever.

I'm surprised how this hasn't been thought of already (in past versionos of arma), regardless well done, now I don't fear opening my map while flying. :D

Hi,

nice AddOn.

Sadly the flickering map seems still an issue, at least for me.

While i was passenger in a car and we reached the border of the shown map, it didn´t change to the next part and started flickering. Please tell me what additional info you might need, so i can help.

AmmokK

Hey Taosenai, I really enjoy your mod, but you forget to release the tao.bikey ;)

Without a propper .bikey this mod is pretty useless on protected servers!

Great mod, really useful, especially when commanding. Being able to zoom would be a great plus!