Sign in to follow this  
ramazoti

Soldiers Textures files.(request)

Halo BI,

if you are releasing samples for Characters in 3D max and P3D formats .. why not releasing a sample textures files as PSD containing all the layers we need to re texture the same soldiers and sample config file..

i appreciate the great job you all doing and you will do ... this is the 1st time to be happy with alpha release.

again Thank you BI .. thank you all

Omar

Edited by ramazoti
wrong thread

Makes a lot of sense! As well as ensuring that we get some top quality work released from it!

Yea i agree, seems a bit senseless releasing just the models, not to say it was a bad idea, i just hope that there is more to it.

I agree too on this, that would be great to have some base textures as PSD samples. That would help comunity to make addons in same in game style. I always been anoyed with some good quality addons (models) not realy fitting in with all BIS vanilla content. Sometimes a shared PSD of camo pattern, material or some general detail used on all similar type models could be a great boos to a beter quality comunity made content, where all would win - we would be more happy to play the game, and more people would buy it from what BIS is wining aswell. Just my thoughts on this topic.

I have to agree we need these to add more content to the game :)

More quality content more players more players more revenue for BI :)

@Ramazoti maybe you should change the name of this thread to - Features comunity would like to have in ARMA 3 developing tools. So it's actualy more representing this discussion and maybe BIS devs can have a more compleate idea what comunity missed with ARMA 2 tools set. And you can update first post with list of ideas so its all in one easy to read page. I compleatly understand that BIS dont want they models/textures to be stolen and ised for other games without their permission, thats what happened with ARMA 1. But a set of photoshop tools and manuals like efect fileters or description how to would help a lot. Like for example working on FA18 I found it realy hard to copy BIS A10/AV8 texture style, a tutorial or base metal texture set with info what filters used and calor patterns to create rivets and weathering would hepl to make it fit in game and look much more realistic. What I would definetly be happy is a base and information how, we will do the rest of the job. Thanks for bringing up this topic man.

Also moderators can you please make this a sticky tread so it does not get lost somewhere in information flow with all ARMA 3 release excitement. And maybe - ARMA 3 - ALPHA ADDONS & MODS: DISCUSSION category would be more suitable for this discussion.

Thank you.

------Update--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just remembered post like this already exist - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION maybe they should be merged, but anyway great to have this discussion and hopefully BIS will take some aspects of this into consideration.

Edited by John_Spartan

The textures (paa files) are in the pbos. No psds but their focus is for you to make your own stuff using these as a base.

The textures (paa files) are in the pbos. No psds but their focus is for you to make your own stuff using these as a base.

I can't seem to open these (trying to get at the base soldier head textures for custom face templates) No tool I've tried has succeeded at opening them (The paa files)

I can't seem to open these (trying to get at the base soldier head textures for custom face templates) No tool I've tried has succeeded at opening them (The paa files)

TexView 2? I can open them just fine. Do you have ArmA 2? Can you open those?

Use Eliteness(From BIS Tools 2.5) to unpack the PBO files and then use TexView(Also in BIS Tools) to view the .PAA files.

To use Eliteness:

1. Start Eliteness and make your way to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/ArmA 3/Addons. (Program Files (x86) for 64-Bit Systems.)

2. Make sure you have the folder Addons highlighted.

3. In the small window to the lower left, you'll see the folder's content.

4. Right-click on, for example "weapons_f.pbo" and then click DePBO to unpack it.

Note: You'll want to move the newly created folder out of the Addons folder or else ArmA 3 will crash when you try to start it.

To use TexView:

Simply drag and drop the files onto TexView.

Conversion of textures is done like this; TGA <-> PAA

Do take note that BIS have ArmA-Specific Filters inside TexView 2/Filters

Edit:

Also here's a nice Tutorial about Normal Mapping and Specular Mapping for ArmA. Should for the most part be the same with ArmA 3.

Edited by Dealman

I can't open them either, can you upload them somewhere?

I tried arma 2, it did not work either... strange...