Sign in to follow this  
ErcanKazaz

Why are you still using Gamespy for mp? Use Steamworks please...

Hello,

I was really impressed about Arma 3 using Steam as a DRM and purchased the game. But I see Arma 3 is using Gamespy for multiplayer, it is really bad. I hope you will change it for the full product. I hope you will use Steamworks for multiplayer, it is really awesome and we can invite our Steam friends to our games quickly or join their games quickly. Also please use Steam Cloud for savegames, stats etc... and Steam Workshop for the mods and VAC for the cheat protection. Thank you.

Edited by ErcanKazaz

Did you see battleye in the filter? Did you see battleye folder in the game documents? Just alpha version be patient.

Did you see battleye in the filter? Did you see battleye folder in the game documents? Just alpha version be patient.

You are right. I just saw Gamespy in multiplayer and I know this is just alpha so it can be changed. And I hope they will use Steamworks for multiplayer for the full product. :)

It's probably going to be replaced later in the Alpha, or during Beta.

Definitely needs more server filter options, favourites function and perhaps a Join Queue.

/itsanalpha

Yes, we all know this is an alpha. But did they say they will change Gamespy and use Steamworks for the full version? No, so I am just making a suggestion. That's why they are doing alpha yes?

Yes, we all know this is an alpha. But did they say they will change Gamespy and use Steamworks for the full version? No, so I am just making a suggestion. That's why they are doing alpha yes?

And it's a very good suggestion! I (and others) have lots of problems trying to connect and playing with the in game MP browser...

So, 2 thumbs up for your idea! :D

Please change GameSpy as it is totally crap for MP.

I support this suggestion. GameSpy has been nothing but a pain in my side for over a decade at this point. I really don't understand why it still exists.

I support this suggestion. GameSpy has been nothing but a pain in my side for over a decade at this point. I really don't understand why it still exists.

It doesn't

I would love to see the steam server browser in Arma 3

Anyway, GameSpy browser is really a pain. I allways have problems loading the server list. No PING show's, filter sort does not works, and so on ... This must be answered by some BIS member please!

a Join Queue.

100x times THIS. Would love being able to sit in a Queue for a particular server, then whenever the someone disconnects out from a full server, I join automatically without having to refresh the servers list, or having to select the server every time.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/864961629598592646/

Dwarden has posted on the Steam forums, multiplayer is still very Alpha unlike some of the rest of the game which can be played.

many might noticed there is no dedicated server binary/data package,

that's all WIP (work in progress) and more additions later (like headless client)

without a dedicated server binary are all the multiplayer games client hosted?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/864961629598592646/

Dwarden has posted on the Steam forums, multiplayer is still very Alpha unlike some of the rest of the game which can be played.

without a dedicated server binary are all the multiplayer games client hosted?

Some are, some aren't. There still is a possibility to run a dedi server following the steps in this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server&p=2314052&viewfull=1#post2314052

Battleye is an anti-cheat engine, not a multiplayer solution...

---------- Post added at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

Not correct. Game website Gamespy and multiplayer server provider Gamespy are different things.

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/

But... why are they share the same logo?

because in old times they were under one brand ... anyway we will use what we need and can ... for now, GS is needed for MP or would you prefer Alpha w/o MP? :)

because in old times they were under one brand ... anyway we will use what we need and can ... for now, GS is needed for MP or would you prefer Alpha w/o MP? :)

So... are you saying there's a chance? :D

Agreed, GameSpy is terrible, really hope they switch to steamworks for browsing at some point.

...we will use what we need and can ... for now, GS is needed for MP or would you prefer Alpha w/o MP? :)

You sound like you're deflecting and avoiding just admitting ARMA 3 will be using Gamespy for it's MP browser. As far as I can tell, you need a separate license each game for Gamespy to support a game's servers, so unless BI has some special arrangement where the ARMA 3 Alpha encompasses the licensing they got with ARMA 2, it's probably very safe to say that it's already been decided to stick with Gamespy.

To reiterate the consensus of the thread though, you guys really need to use Steamworks instead. Gamespy is SO ridiculously bad that it wouldn't make sense for you guys not to notice how awful they've been since you started using them.

You sound like you're deflecting and avoiding just admitting ARMA 3 will be using Gamespy for it's MP browser.

Whoah there, they kinda confirmed Steamworks implementation in their February Announcement blog. It's still early in the "game".

Yeah, the first thing my eyes snapped to when starting the server browser was "powered by gamespy"

I shuddered a little bit.