Sign in to follow this  
gvse

Bringing A2 weapon addons to A3

Yeah, I had over 100 variant models for the ACR, now with the M4 pack I have one model and three config entries :)

Have you managed to get a grenade launcher version working yet? I am at the stage now i just need to get that working and i can consider an release :)

Have you managed to get a grenade launcher version working yet? I am at the stage now i just need to get that working and i can consider an release :)

No, not yet. Unfortunately I need to get back to working (as in, this stupid distraction from fun called "Job") so I am getting limited time again :)

Have you gotten the magazine reload to work? I read the Biki page here but I can't seem to get that unhideValue to work - I am starting to wonder whether we need new tools for that. My magazine goes away and stays invisible until the whole reload anim is done.

No, not yet. Unfortunately I need to get back to working (as in, this stupid distraction from fun called "Job") so I am getting limited time again :)

Have you gotten the magazine reload to work? I read the Biki page here but I can't seem to get that unhideValue to work - I am starting to wonder whether we need new tools for that. My magazine goes away and stays invisible until the whole reload anim is done.

Ive had no look with magazine yet, my magazines are doing the same behaviour. I think will leave them for awhile, i want to get my 8 variants with proxys working, then i want to look at custom optics :).

I will post up some progress tonight :)

Edited by R0adki11

Yeah, I'll upload it once this is finished. Right now, though, there are no other lods, I just finished the base model. So it will take a day or two at least.

But at least this time I don't need to do 128 different models, like with the Remingtons. One model with, one without grenade launcher, and things are set :)

Yeah, I had over 100 variant models for the ACR, now with the M4 pack I have one model and three config entries :)
This is exactly why the "separate weapons and attachments" change in the engine was a good idea. :D Although we're still stuck with underbarrel and textures ("skins") being exempt so we still need two models multiplied by the number of skins, while the AFG, vertical foregrip (on the MX SW) and the bipod (ditto) just don't seem to do anything as far as weapon stats.

Again, for the sake of "authenticity" it's convenient that we don't actually have 'really out there sci-fi' sights in vanilla, just stuff besides 'standard ACOG, Aimpoint T-1 Micro' -- C-More, Elcan, HAMR, and the short-EOTech -- so they don't look out of place unless your brain was fried by media and war footage into being unable to 'see' a M4 without also 'seeing' a Trijicon RCO or a M68 CCO atop it.

This is exactly why the "separate weapons and attachments" change in the engine was a good idea. :D Although we're still stuck with underbarrel and textures ("skins") being exempt so we still need two models multiplied by the number of skins, while the AFG, vertical foregrip (on the MX SW) and the bipod (ditto) just don't seem to do anything as far as weapon stats.

Actually, only the underbarrel. My M4 pack contains exactly one model. Much to my surprise, hiddenSelections now work on weapons too, so the other camos are just config entries and textures, nothing else :)

Again, for the sake of "authenticity" it's convenient that we don't actually have 'really out there sci-fi' sights in vanilla, just stuff besides 'standard ACOG, Aimpoint T-1 Micro' -- C-More, Elcan, HAMR, and the sh[quort-EOTech -- so they don't look out of place unless your brain was fried by media and war footage into being unable to 'see' a M4 without also 'seeing' a Trijicon RCO or a M68 CCO atop it.

Luckily, the mission designer always has the last say in it. So far, tough, everything looks pretty authentic. Given that there are so many different manufacturers of reflex sights, having a few that aren't "authentic" stuff won't be a bit issue, and I don't believe we will see heartbeat sensors in a BIS game.

Interesting side-node, while scanning thought the list of attachments, I spotted a "green laser" attachment and an IR illuminator flashlight...

Actually, only the underbarrel. My M4 pack contains exactly one model. Much to my surprise, hiddenSelections now work on weapons too, so the other camos are just config entries and textures, nothing else :)
Even better! :D
Luckily, the mission designer always has the last say in it. So far, tough, everything looks pretty authentic. Given that there are so many different manufacturers of reflex sights, having a few that aren't "authentic" stuff won't be a bit issue, and I don't believe we will see heartbeat sensors in a BIS game.
I believe a bunch of the initial exclamations at Arma 3 going 'sci-fi' were simply a lack of perspective (oh a lack of perspective on the BI forums? Oh haha) due to having been steeped so long in imagery of what US forces carry in our timeline... after all, it's not "inauthenticity", it's simply "in the Armaversume procurement decisions turned out differently". :p
Interesting side-node, while scanning thought the list of attachments, I spotted a "green laser" attachment and an IR illuminator flashlight...
This is actually not that surprising -- I believe that we've already seen the "green laser" in the Night showcases at E3/Gamescom alpha builds, while the IR illuminator flashlight would stand to reason is in the game for the same reason... use with NVGs.

I believe that we've already seen the "green laser" in the Night showcases at E3/Gamescom alpha builds, while the IR illuminator flashlight would stand to reason is in the game for the same reason... use with NVGs.

From the class name it didn't look like it was an IR but rather a visible laser, which I think would be something new :)

In retrospect, a second question -- why require three classnames (Woodland, Black, Tan) and thus requirements-that-if-missed-could-glitch-a-mission if you only have one model?

In retrospect, a second question -- why require three classnames (Woodland, Black, Tan) and thus requirements-that-if-missed-could-glitch-a-mission if you only have one model?

Because you need three classes, otherwise you would need to do a setObjectTexture to get different camos. It's like the suppressor, there is only one model but I made one that fits the M4 because otherwise you'd be using the 6.5 mm one on a 5.56 rifle.

Or am I missing your point now?

Because you need them, wouldn't be able to have three different rifles that way, there would be no way to differentiate them.

Imagine let's say you have a model called M4.p3d and three textures M4_black.paa, M4_tan.paa, M4_green.paa. By default, let's say the M4.p3d model is skinned with M4_black.paa. The model has a "selection" where M4_black.paa is applied, and let's say you name it "gun_skin". Now you need a configuration file called config.cpp (or .bin when compiled).

Now that's the first weapon you have the classname for and you will use it as a base. You define it as such in psuedocode:

Class My_M4 extends ArmA3_Base_rifle {
  model = 'M4.p3d';
  // No need to define custom texture, as it's already skinned with M4_black.paa
  // lots more of configuration options to define how the gun behaves differently from the Arma3_Base_rifle
}

Now, you need to make a tan version available ingame, you write something along the lines

Class My_M4_tan extends My_M4 {
  // No need for all the configuration options to tell the gun how to behave, it extends My_M4, therefore all of it's configuration, we just change what we need
  // We don't even need to tell it which model to use, it inherits that aswell, we just need:
  selection['gun_skin'] = 'M4_tan.paa';
}

And so on for all the variants.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Alwarren. :(

Edited by Sniperwolf572

It's just the sort of thing where I would want a minimum of "mod requirement config" lines, hence my curiosity about differing class names -- I'd be comfortable with "setObjectTexture" unless that would be ripe for exploiting? Thanks for the explanation though, both of you!

It's just the sort of thing where I would want a minimum of "mod requirement config" lines, hence my curiosity about differing class names -- I'd be comfortable with "setObjectTexture" unless that would be ripe for exploiting? Thanks for the explanation though, both of you!

That's basically what's going on with them, a setObjectTexture in the config. But I assume the problem is that you can't do setObjectTexture on a weapon from scripts, as they aren't stand-alone instances in the world, but proxy instances for the stand-alone entities (soldiers). You can't reference a specific instance of a weapon. Even when you see them pre-placed on the ground or a table, they're a part of a gun holder object.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I thought it would post some WIP, i now have my first versions of G3 Battle Rifle in game, including working grenade launcher :). Need to alter the animations slightly, but that can be done later with a simple config tweak, anyhow here are some screens:

http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/arma3/107410_2013-03-12_00009.png

http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/arma3/107410_2013-03-12_00007.png

http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/arma3/107410_2013-03-12_00006.png

http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/arma3/107410_2013-03-12_00002_0.png

Looks good so far, though the hand positions visibly need work (or did you mean those by "animations"?) and I personally have no complaint ("MY IMMERSION!" :rolleyes: ) about your G3 appearing to have the optics rail be built into the top of the receiver instead of the 'standard' H&K claw-mount for rails, but any plans or ideas for ensuring that the range markers for the grenade launcher leaf sight line up properly both when zoomed and unzoomed?

Looks good so far, though the hand positions visibly need work (or did you mean those by "animations"?) and I personally have no complaint ("MY IMMERSION!" :rolleyes: ) about your G3 appearing to have the optics rail be built into the top of the receiver instead of the 'standard' H&K claw-mount for rails, but any plans or ideas for ensuring that the range markers for the grenade launcher leaf sight line up properly both when zoomed and unzoomed?

Yep the hand animations need tweaking, which what i meant by the animations. Im not all that knowledgeable about rifles or what is realistic etc, i just hope it looks good so far. I am simply just bringing over the content which i had released for Arma2 from my Nogovan Armed Forces Project. Not sure how to get the grenade launcher sights to line up yet, i guess that will be down to experimentation.

But thanks for the kind words :)

Edited by R0adki11

I can sacrifices aesthetics (i.e. optic rail built-in instead of "claw mount") for the sake of gameplay considerations, hence stuff like my concern over range markers, especially seeing other players' concern over things like mildots seeming to lose their 'correctness' when zooming in or out.

I can sacrifices aesthetics (i.e. optic rail built-in instead of "claw mount") for the sake of gameplay considerations, hence stuff like my concern over range markers, especially seeing other players' concern over things like mildots seeming to lose their 'correctness' when zooming in or out.

After doing a quick Google, i see what you mean by the claw mount. However there are some versions, of G3 such as the AK4B and ag3f2 which have a permanent rail, though i maybe wrong. If we were going for true aesthetics, would a rail built into the rifle be feasible if it was a modern produced version of the G3 rifle? As that is what they could be, as in my Nogovan Armed Forces Project they are named AK2 Rifles.

Edited by R0adki11

I really need help guys.

I managed to assign proxys, and all attachments work as they should, but I have a big problem with muzzle flashes: on unsuppressed weapon there is no muzzle flash and when I attach a suppressor, a permanent muzzle flash appears (a much smaller one, the kind you get on some suppressed weapons), and no smoke / vapor as i shoot.

A friend checked the p3d and all seems to be fine. Anyone experienced the problem? What can I do to fix it / troubleshoot it?

After doing a quick Google, i see what you mean by the claw mount. However there are some versions, of G3 such as the AK4B and ag3f2 which have a permanent rail, though i maybe wrong. If we were going for true aesthetics, would a rail built into the rifle be feasible if it was a modern produced version of the G3 rifle? As that is what they could be, as in my Nogovan Armed Forces Project they are named AK2 Rifles.

Would be completely feasible, can't see why not :)

Would be completely feasible, can't see why not :)
That's good to know, i nearly have all my weapons working in A3. A release might not be far off yet :)

@Slatts are you bring over those M4 models which you released for A2?

Hello guys...

I'm newbie, so.. I extract the files from .pbo from A2 OA, but when I try open in oxygen 2 show a message because the file is binarized(its a author protection, or no?), but I tried with 4-5 weapons from different autors, and nothing open...

Any helpie for a brazilian newbie? :)

Hello guys...

I'm newbie, so.. I extract the files from .pbo from A2 OA, but when I try open in oxygen 2 show a message because the file is binarized(its a author protection, or no?), but I tried with 4-5 weapons from different autors, and nothing open...

Any helpie for a brazilian newbie? :)

There are programs that can de-binarize these files. Remember though that a lot of the stuff is copyrighted, and you cannot simply use it.

Bump to a good thread.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this side of Arma.

I'm trying to bring back some weapons from Arma 2 FDF Mod. I've tried the weapons with AiA and the mod in Arma 3, and here's what I was looking at:

-Exterior model is fine

-Optics worked (not removable but worked)

-Damage of the weapon was fine

-Muzzle while firing fine

-Animations were fine

-Magazines were fine

-No sound while firing

So everything was alright, BUT the weapon had no sound. So, any of you guys know how to add a firing sound to the weapon? Like add a excisting sound to it?

Cheers, Peg

Bump to a good thread.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this side of Arma.

I'm trying to bring back some weapons from Arma 2 FDF Mod. I've tried the weapons with AiA and the mod in Arma 3, and here's what I was looking at:

-Exterior model is fine

-Optics worked (not removable but worked)

-Damage of the weapon was fine

-Muzzle while firing fine

-Animations were fine

-Magazines were fine

-No sound while firing

So everything was alright, BUT the weapon had no sound. So, any of you guys know how to add a firing sound to the weapon? Like add a excisting sound to it?

Cheers, Peg

did you have permission?