gossamersolid

Arma 3 Notepad++ Syntax Highlighting

Notepad%2B%2B_Logo.png

Hello fellow scripters!

I've been using the ArmA 2 Syntax Highlighting that Nicolas made back in 2009 . I've noticed that he hasn't updated it in a long time and that nobody else seems to want to take a crack at updating it, so I thought I would.

It's missing some commands that were added in the OA era, but it has all ArmA 2 and all known ArmA 3 commands now.

Please feel free to modify/contribute and I'll update this post.

Credits

Originally By: Nicolas
Contributers: GossamerSolid, Sanjo, Bakerman, R3vo

Install Instructions

1. Download the XML file below (Right-Click -> Save As)
2. Open Notepad++ (Version 6.3+)
3. Language -> Define your own Language -> Import

Notepad++ Language XML

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Wow, would be really neat if this actually was back up to-date

Nice to know someone has been using my notepad++ Syntax Highlighting!

Thank you for updating it.

• Like 1

Nice to know someone has been using my notepad++ Syntax Highlighting!

Thank you for updating it.

Good to see you're still around. Thanks for the original contribution!

Wow, would be really neat if this actually was back up to-date

I'm trying to eventually have it fully up to date. A majority of the available commands are in there.

I'd also eventually like to add the list of BIS functions as a different syntax colour so people could easily differentiate them.

Great! Thank you for updating it for A3 support.

Nice one mate! I'll be sure to use this / contribute to it when I get home.

This is why you wouldn't play with us last night? For shame. :P

Thanks for sharing!

this is excellent news. just yesterday I was recommending npp and lamenting an updated sqf file.

Thank you for this, but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.. Nothing is highlighted. How did you implement this with Notepad++?

Thank you for this, but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.. Nothing is highlighted. How did you implement this with Notepad++?

Language -> Define your own Language -> Import

You have to copy and paste the code inside the spoiler I made in the first post and put it in an xml file on your computer (on the desktop for example).

hmm, doesnt seem to be working for me either, i followed your instructions....

Awww yeah! Thanks a lot GossamerSolid!

to those having problem:

after pasting the code into a file, try naming it like this: "userDefineLang.xml" and nothing else.

Then copy it into the main notepad++ folder. Now start Npp and see if your language is there.

Not 100% sure it will work, but I think I remember this is how I did it back in the time.

I copied the information from the first post and put it into notepad, I saved it as userDefineLang.xml and put it into my AppData folder where notepad is located. Still nothing, even trying the method of user defined language did not work.

I copied the information from the first post and put it into notepad, I saved it as userDefineLang.xml and put it into my AppData folder where notepad is located. Still nothing, even trying the method of user defined language did not work.

Worked for me mate, I put the xml file into my \program files(x86)\notepadd++ folder. Then used user defined language. Hope this helps mate.

Could it be that this might actually be the very first community addon for Arma3? :yay:

Worked for me mate, I put the xml file into my \program files(x86)\notepadd++ folder. Then used user defined language. Hope this helps mate.

Ok I put the .xml into the main directory of Notepad++

C:/Program Files (x86)/Notepad++/userDefineLang.xml

Then I go to Language and Click user defined and nothing changes. I typed in some Arma 3 commands and nothing was highlighted.

Same problem for me. Luckily I still have the old one that works.

Very nice work, I am happy to be able to add this to our Arma 3 download section as the first community made Arma 3 file :)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Oh my, first community download for ArmA 3. That's quite a neat thing, actually :)

Ok I put the .xml into the main directory of Notepad++

C:/Program Files (x86)/Notepad++/userDefineLang.xml

Then I go to Language and Click user defined and nothing changes. I typed in some Arma 3 commands and nothing was highlighted.

Did you try what I wrote earlier:

Language -> Define your own Language -> Import

You have to copy and paste the code inside the spoiler I made in the first post and put it in an xml file on your computer (on the desktop for example).

After you've done that, you should see "ArmA3" at the bottom of the language list.

here's an example of some highlighting:

pKWwy7P.jpg

EDIT:

Also, are you guys using the latest version of NP++? The syntax for the custom languages has changed IIRC.

• Like 1