Sign in to follow this  
icewindo

Ancient Era Mod

I opened up this thread to have the roman / ancient era mod and the medieval mod I work on, seperated.

So the crusades/medieval mod ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?96780-Crusades-Medieval-Mod ) should feature only medieval/crusade discussion while this one is for the ancient era mod.

I'm also focussed more on the latter currently and a first release shouldn't be far / will come soonâ„¢.

Videos

Latest video of the legionnaires + crucifixion

Testudo formation (static)

Story based video series (using the "old" legionnaire model)

Progress List (may have missed something)

Orange features won't stop a first release but would be nice to have them in it, red needs to be finished for a release. Blue features will be looked into after the first release.

Animations

Dynamic

- ice123_shield_bash_anim (Anim for roman scutum bash) [iMPROVABLE]

- ice123_gladius_thrust_anim (Anim for roman gladius thrust) [iMPROVABLE]

- ice123_walk_anim (forward walk anim for romans+barbarians) [OK]

- ice123_run_anim (forward run anim for romans+barbarians) [OK]

- ice123_shield_anim (shield holding anim for legionnaires when they stand still) [OK]

- More anims / variations for romans [NICE2HAVE]

- More anims / variations for barbarians (they will use boxing anims for now)[NICE2HAVE]

Static

- ice123_crucified_anim (cargo anim for "enterable" cross) [OK]

- ice123_testudo_scutum_up (static anim for cutscenes to form a testudo formation [OK]

Models

Units

- Roman legionnaire, Centurio, Optio, Vexillarius in Lorica Segmentata Armor [100% - OK]

- Roman Archer [OK]

- Gallic Noble [95% - section count reduceable)

- Gallic Tribesman [80% - Some arm rigging adjustments needed)

- Romans in Lorica Hamata [20% - initial model done] Postponed

- Cavalry like in VVV OFP Mod [NICE2HAVE]

- elephants, chariots and other cool stuff like in VVV OFP mod [NICE2HAVE]

Buildings

- Pallisades, Tower, Primitive Huts [OK - Maybe add AI paths for the huts]

- Roman tent [OK]

- more buildings and stuff, maybe also from the VVV mod? [NICE2HAVE]

Configuration

- Configure new cfgmoves class for romans - properly ! (right now i just replaced cfgmovesman in general)[100% - OK]

- Properly configure the pilum cfgweapons / cfgammo [100%]

Scripting

- Add new "gallic" sounds to Rydgyiers script [OK]

- Linefighting script for romans [NICE2HAVE - I can't do this as I fail at complex scripts]

Demo Mission

- Simple Gaul Attack at a roman formation [100%]

Credits

ProfTournesol / Stu - Nearly all roman + gallic objects, some infantry weapons, armor and shields and more

Rydgyier - Melee script

Mr Pedersen - Map

Icewindo - Base gallic and roman infantry models, new inf. animations

Edited by Icewindo

So much glad to see ArmA2 reaching back further beyond than 20th century. I have become interested in similar stuff too, so it's Certainly something outside the box and to be awaited. Especially eager to see your take on cavalry.

Whoohooo.... love your work! This could be alot of fun!

1. What solution do you have on the " melee"?

As we all know Arma2 forgot melee, so is it like " dayz" or so. Melee that make gameplay fun?

2. Archers preview or Balista? ingame ? does it work?

By the way, any one played the old mmo game " Roma Victor", getting old feeling like that.

I just sent you a PM, that I suggest you read.

:292:

Edited by Mr Pedersen

hey, looking good :) really like the new formations cant wait for this

Thanks, yep a first release is definititely closer than the original DNF "when it's done" :) .

So much glad to see ArmA2 reaching back further beyond than 20th century. I have become interested in similar stuff too, so it's Certainly something outside the box and to be awaited. Especially eager to see your take on cavalry.

Yep thanks, the take on the horses is contributed to Prof Tournesol, I've seen the technique in his VVV OFP mod and it's working pretty well for the RV engine. I don't think you can can get it better with the limits of the engine.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Thanks!

Ok, we go to... more dead barbarians!

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130115/tnf6ht9i.jpg

..and some more

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130115/g6ou7jg9.jpg

That's the finished blood textures on the bare chested barbarian model + some VVV stuff. I also arranged the uvmap properly and cut down the section count so these units perform pretty well now (succesfully had a 40 romans vs. 60 gallics battle)

Whoohooo.... love your work! This could be alot of fun!

1. What solution do you have on the " melee"?

As we all know Arma2 forgot melee, so is it like " dayz" or so. Melee that make gameplay fun?

2. Archers preview or Balista? ingame ? does it work?

By the way, any one played the old mmo game " Roma Victor", getting old feeling like that.

I just sent you a PM, that I suggest you read.

1. the melee system uses a melee script created by Rydgyier, as I've also seen and played the dayz melee system I can say that Rydgyiers script is more advanced.

You attack with a left click and a hit chance is calculated by your skill, the enemies skill and current fatique. The main bonus point of his script is that it works for the AI, dayz obviously didn't need to include that. With the limits of the engine I think it works pretty well and I've played some great battles using it.

2. bow works pretty well (bow strain gets released + arrow disappears on weapon model when shot) but I have no ballista model (the VVV mod does, though :satisfied: )

you have to use the crosshair though, maybe by tweaking the position it could be possible to aim using the arrow model but it seems pretty akward to me

See this video for a battle demonstration:

and pm sent ;)

Edited by Icewindo

Yep thanks, the take on the horses is contributed to Prof Tournesol, I've seen the technique in his VVV OFP mod and it's working pretty well for the RV engine. I don't think you can can get it better with the limits of the engine.

Your confidence is quite encouraging. I think I won't be giving up hopes for cavalry units in our mod then just yet ;)

any one use to play this old Roman game?

I did.

mmo-game. looks horrible I know, but still fun back in the days.

OFP was superb cause there were mods like Lego mod, Rambo mod, dinosaurs mod, and some ancient stuff things too, thanx Icewindo that you focus on unique things, this engine allows to have different unique mods (not only modern military) so thanx again for such projects, i hope they will be released and we will play it, thanx

OFP was superb cause there were mods like Lego mod, Rambo mod, dinosaurs mod, and some ancient stuff things too, thanx Icewindo that you focus on unique things, this engine allows to have different unique mods (not only modern military) so thanx again for such projects, i hope they will be released and we will play it, thanx

I could not more then agree with you. This is what Arma 2 Community is about. Some one get a brilliant idea and show his work and get the full support of this very nice community that I love being a part of!!

I could not more then agree with you. This is what Arma 2 Community is about. Some one get a brilliant idea and show his work and get the full support of this very nice community that I love being a part of!!

Amen.

Awesome. Looking forward to it :p

Just a suggestion, you can blend both versions in one bundle, no need to create two separate mods even though setting/units are different than one another, my opinion though :)

P.S. ProfTournesol gave me the link to this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have known about this cool A2 mod.

I would like to see somthing like RPG styl gameplay or so? Or somting like Dazy ( with out zombies)

Harvest, fishing, hunting, build camp/village, crafting, mining ore.

fight for natural resources!!

Well any good idea is welcome.... Community mebers that could help this brave developer with this is EVEN more welcome!

Any braveheart out there?

" I will drink from your skull!! "

a medieval CLR would be pretty amazing :P forming warbands instead of gangs , and capturing castles instead of gang hideouts

a medieval CLR would be pretty amazing :P forming warbands instead of gangs , and capturing castles instead of gang hideouts

It's relatively easy to port Chernarus Life, Takistani Life, City Life and such missions, the thing is, will those who made them do it :p

And I agree, it would be awesome.

It's relatively easy to port Chernarus Life, Takistani Life, City Life and such missions, the thing is, will those who made them do it :p

And I agree, it would be awesome.

And all those " Life " need to be edit to Gaul 58 BC.

So I belive there might be some work, but also WORK like that would pay of with a NEW fun Ancient Life mod or mission or what ever would you call it.

How would "LIFE" look in roman time? I have not played chernarus life that much maby one or two times, then you just hunt for drugs and run from police or players with weapons.

Somthing that would be fun you play for either romans or barbarians. Gather resources and build up your empire.

Also somthing like from Dazy, you need to eat, drink, stamina. Gather supply, loging, mining, livestock, farming, hunting. fishing.

Well the list of ideas can go on forever. But sombody doing somthing is diffrent and also when Arma 3 is out all is going to jump over to Arma 3. When arma 2 was released all jumped from arma 1 and now we all will jump from arma 2 to arma 3. Just hope we can edit and make even better mods for arma 3!?

Im trying to help Icewindo with what I can do for him,cuz I like this idea. Hope more will help him.

"My lord our grannary is empty would you like to eat some wet mud?"

"My lord our grannary is empty would you like to eat some wet mud?"

Stronghold!

I would like to see somthing like RPG styl gameplay or so? Or somting like Dazy ( with out zombies)

Harvest, fishing, hunting, build camp/village, crafting, mining ore.

fight for natural resources!!

Well any good idea is welcome.... Community mebers that could help this brave developer with this is EVEN more welcome!

Any braveheart out there?

" I will drink from your skull!! "

That's a great idea Mr. Pedersen. Taking these units, and incorporating something like Mondkalb's creationism mod. You could "chop" down trees, prepare them for moving, and create a system where you can align them to create a fort wall or palisade.

The whole concept of the soldiers, the formations, and things are looking great, keep up the work.

will the new formations be in the formation squad menu ? cant wait for the release, now all we need is a map resembling the time period :P

A working Melee and mounts is very much needed to get this runing. At least good melee.

Again I just want to say that any one that has skills in moding is more then welcome to help him develop this.

i could give a hand making some missions for the release, if you need a hand ice just send a PM and ill give you steam addy

Edited by ryanbeckey0

I must say it looks indeed amazing so far and when its done it will be a lot of fun,same go's for the medieval mod(cant wait).but there was something else intresting about those last movies that you posted and i am suprised its not been noticed! its in the formation those units are in,there in a "Line" formation shoulder to shoulder, dont know how you do it,but if they can stand in line all they need are muskets and then the possibilities are endless;)

But for now Rome will do fine.

your radio silence is killing me, any news/answers for us ?
I must say it looks indeed amazing so far and when its done it will be a lot of fun,same go's for the medieval mod(cant wait).but there was something else intresting about those last movies that you posted and i am suprised its not been noticed! its in the formation those units are in,there in a "Line" formation shoulder to shoulder, dont know how you do it,but if they can stand in line all they need are muskets and then the possibilities are endless;)

But for now Rome will do fine.

Sorry if it gave the impression but the formations seen in the video are just waypoints setup orderly. However ProfT (ond others?) created a line fighting script in OFP which worked pretty well. Something like this would then have to be incorporated into the current script but I dunno if it would work great.

I'm not a great scripter, I only understand half of rydygiers melee script :p. I'm also thinking about maybe having two different scripts for SP/coop and MP (no AI) with the latter using real projectiles in melee (instead of scripted damage). I'll give this scripting stuff some time soon - lately I've converted some VVV mod buildings from Stu/ProfT.