Sign in to follow this  
i76

Star Citizen - from the creator of Freelancer & Wing Commander

@Mod, please move to games and Gaming since we don´t have a dedicated Star Citizen Thread yet

Well, I would much rather support Braben Space Industries. At least Frontier had proper newtonian physics and "real" lasers already in 1992 instead of Wing Commander's "Sopwith Camels In Space" dogfights. Every time I see a new space "sim" my heartrate goes up right until I hear the first "pew pew" of the slow moving bullet-like "lasers" - then I have a heart attack...:yay:

Edited by fraczek

Well, I would much rather support Braben Space Industries. At least Frontier had proper newtonian physics and "real" lasers already in 1992 instead of Wing Commander's "Sopwith Camels In Space" dogfights. Every time I see a new space "sim" my heartrate goes up right until I hear the first "pew pew" of the slow moving bullet-like "lasers" - then I have a heart attack...:yay:

Opinions are opinions. I do not consider FreeSpace to be inferior to other space combat sims because it has sound in space and "pew pew lasers" and combat that looks like it got ripped out of WWI. In fact, that's its charm. I think the same of this game.

True. And my opinion had been, I admit, a little tongue-in-cheeky. It is all just games, after all :) So I am looking forward to what Chris Roberts unleashes upon us as well as any other, and silently hoping for a project of similar magnitude if only with laser beams ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11wivt/i_am_chris_roberts_creator_of_wing_commander/

(info dump in one of the top comments)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/24/star-citizen-whomps-its-kickstarter-goal-in-five-days/

You'll be able to board and fight in big ships or bases. Each ship may have 200-300 different pieces that can be destroyed and will have and inpact on the gameplay (video below)

I'm not even in this type of game and Im excited.

The problem is that the open galaxy would be only for mp,for single we only get a campaign.I would have hoped something similar to Freelancer or X series for single player too.

I would want to know if the raised money on their homepage includes the kickstarter money or if that comes as a bonus?

I would want to know if the raised money on their homepage includes the kickstarter money or if that comes as a bonus?

Bonus.

"problems with their own money-gathering droids (they couldn’t gather it as fast as it was being thrown, as I understand it)"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/25/and-beyond-star-citizen-has-raised-2-million/

For most (if not all) Q&A from Reddit, check: http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/forum/pc/422256-squadron-42-star-citizen-2.html#post1067085788

Bonus.

"problems with their own money-gathering droids (they couldn’t gather it as fast as it was being thrown, as I understand it)"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/25/and-beyond-star-citizen-has-raised-2-million/

For most (if not all) Q&A from Reddit, check: http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/forum/pc/422256-squadron-42-star-citizen-2.html#post1067085788

if it´s a bonus, then they already reached the goal Yay

Just in case you were wondering, RSI extended the funding campaign and added some new stretch goals. Link.

This game is literally making me swoon, jesus fucking christ, I thought it would be five years at least until we started to see shit like this, fucking GOD!!!!! I don't know what's more amazing, the fact that hardware nowadays can do this or the fact the a team of developers nowadays can do this...the combined quality and scale (which I have never seen before in any game, not even seperately for that fucking matter) of this is gonna raise the bar for ALL GAMES PERIOD. Arma is gonna have a tougher time standing out in the wow factor department than I thought... no way bis can keep up with this polish/scale pace...I am flabbergasted.

This game is literally making me swoon, jesus fucking christ, I thought it would be five years at least until we started to see shit like this, fucking GOD!!!!! I don't know what's more amazing, the fact that hardware nowadays can do this or the fact the a team of developers nowadays can do this...the combined quality and scale (which I have never seen before in any game, not even seperately for that fucking matter) of this is gonna raise the bar for ALL GAMES PERIOD. Arma is gonna have a tougher time standing out in the wow factor department than I thought... no way bis can keep up with this polish/scale pace...I am flabbergasted.

Which is a good thing. It's competition that leads to innovation :cool:

Yeah...I'm sure the next Arma will be pushed further now, becuase of this. Whether it is far behind whatever-passes-for-AAA-standards at the time it comes out or not, either way it will still be a sight to behold.

Already 750k on Kickstarter and 2.4 Million on the original side ... nice =)

Wow people are throwing money at them like crazy... I bet M$ is quite unhappy that they didn´t make a second Freelancer...

Just found out we will have the option for private servers so us single player maniacs could play in that universe besides the Squadron 42 campaign.Basically just like Freelancer.

Had no knowledge of this until coming here thread ... and knowing the above ... I will slot this into my constant checking bookmarks along side Rebirth X etc. Always been searching for something like this.

Gentlemen, I believe we are witnessing the beginning of the Renaissance of Independent video gaming. The surge in popularity of crowdsourcing appears to have paid off :yay:

Its already included on the website, as you can see beneith the ticker.

I agree 100%. Chris Roberts and company are telling the traditional publishers to go pound sand. This is the way to bring PC gaming back.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Any fan of PC gaming that is tired of dumbed down console ports made on 7 year old technology should consider backing Star Citizen. The people behind the game are responsible for some of the most legendary PC titles made(Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer). They know what they are doing.