Sign in to follow this  
tonic-_-

[TVT/CO-55] Wasteland

Thanks tonic,

in description.ext there are only preset levels, can i go beyond Insane?

I also want to clean up the random spawn of loot, can you point my in the direction of the file i can edit to list specific items that are in the loot cycle.

Edited by TriGGa

Thanks tonic,

in description.ext there are only preset levels, can i go beyond Insane?

I also want to clean up the random spawn of loot, can you point my in the direction of the file i can edit to list specific items that are in the loot cycle.

In description.ext

i.e for vehicles

title="Vehicle Spawn Number:";

values[]={4,8,12,15};

texts[]={"Tiny", "Small", "Medium", "Large"};

default=12;

You would edit 15 to a higher number, and change default to the same number.

Same thing for objects. Sadly with the current spawn system there is no actual way to tell what specific item spawns more. I was going to work on a new system in the future... At the moment everything is dynamic.

ok cool tonic Ill look into it, thanks for your responses.

Does the loot spawn continue, ie after loot is taken new loot is spawned?

What Im trying to work on is a spawn script that allows certain objects in a specific list to spawn in certain places.....(ie DAYZ loot spawn) so i want food tables and water in plaaces like houses, supermarkets etc or at leaset have a higher percentage chance of spawning there, and medpacks near hospitals, fuel at airports/farms/industrial as well as repair kits etc

also a list of spawn objects that can be customized, ie more base building items on it.

Anyone interested in making this script?

I would be very careful with the figure of vehicles etc that you spawn, I upped the max level a bit and it killed the server.. Infact dropped player fps by 10.

Kudos to tonic again, for such a great mission...

Cheers mate..

The server_init.sqf file in server\core hold the objects that can be spawned. It also has the vehicle list...

Also, there are two blacklists for vehicles, the exclude vehicle list is for mil vehicles if my memory serves me right and inside the spawn.fsm file is an actual blacklist of vehicles...

Edited by marker

Thanks Marker, what about spawn locations or even a way to increase or decrease the probability of the objects spawn in the list.

As Tonic mentioned above, it is truely dynamic and random as far as I can see.. There is no way right now to give a greater probability to any object or vehicle. Tonic can correct me if I am wrong.

I'm sure it could be coded in with a bit of effort, but the dynamic nature is what people like about Wasteland!

Any chance of a SP version? I always wanted to try the Dynamic zombie sandbox but it was only mp

How the spawn beacons works? :-) and it's possible to save a map? That the base is not distroyed after every mission-restart?

Any one looking to make this mod persistant? with the use of a hive?, Id be keen to help make it happen.

If vehicles on the server are destroyed, do new ones respawn to replace them?, because i cant find the script that suggests that, however I have been finding new vehicles with no fuel or weapons in them.....

If vehicles on the server are destroyed, do new ones respawn to replace them?, because i cant find the script that suggests that, however I have been finding new vehicles with no fuel or weapons in them.....

No they do not.

Originally before 1.62 Update for ArmA 2: CO on the server when something was spawned i.e an object/vehicle/unit it would go into the memory, but once that object/vehicle/unit was put into the memory, most of the time it never cleared out of the memory so I never had it re-fill the wasteland typically for that reason and well the second reason would be that it's a wasteland, resources will become limited over time.

But with 1.63 Beta patches on servers it seems that the memory flushes its self clearing buffers for things that aren't there anymore unlike before which could allow me to keep 'respawning' vehicles when they hit a specific number and maybe the server won't become unstable. The problem that I faced when making this was when you spawn to many items the server becomes unstable and crashes, but as I said with recent 1.63 beta patches they seem to be fixing those stability issues. The spawning system is due for a change in the next coming update.

As for the single player question, I doubt it. Wasteland was focused mainly on TVT and I slowly started adding AI. I don't have any major plans for developing a story like play through until ArmA: 3 which is around the corner. I want to save big major game changers till ArmA 3 so that I can re-invent it there.

Also for the persistence thing, I wouldn't go poking around with HIVE to make it a universal extension for maintaining a MySQL Persistent world... If you want persistency I would suggest in doing it the more legal & legit way such as looking into making your own Extension or using ArmA2 Net with ArmA Persistent Database Script, Don't go using code that wasn't meant to be altered, I'm sure Dean 'Rocket' Hall wouldn't like that. :P

Edited by Tonic-_-

Our version features dynamic vehicles respawn, over course of 12+ hours of play amount of working vehicles (non-functional get deleted) on server goes from 500 to ~800. This isn't much of problem on server, it becomes a problem on client with game taking more and more memory and it starts freezing with new models\textures\sounds being loaded. Restarting client game solves it. (no beta patch).

Just wanted to share my thoughts on Wasteland:

Situation starts to get grim with 404games releasing their mash-up of Tonic's server-side and my client-side (taken without and permission and with zero credit to me as author) into public. Servers where tanks and attack helicopters lie around on each corner and players having crapload of money on spawn which can buy you anything right away really kills the interest and challenge of Wasteland. I believe that the only way of preserving slow but steady progress of making Wasteland into solid multiplayer experience would be controlled distribution of newer versions (like dayz did at first) and preventing people from stealing new features (making own features by other's ideas is different situation).

Edited by SaMatra

Our version features dynamic vehicles respawn, over course of 12+ hours of play amount of working vehicles (non-functional get deleted) on server goes from 500 to ~800. This isn't much of problem on server, it becomes a problem on client with game taking more and more memory and it starts freezing with new models\textures\sounds being loaded. Restarting client game solves it. (no beta patch).

Situation starts to get grim with 404games releasing their mash-up of Tonic's server-side and my client-side (taken without and permission and with zero credit to me as author) into public. Servers where tanks and attack helicopters lie around on each corner and players having crapload of money on spawn which can buy you anything right away really kills the interest and challenge of Wasteland. I believe that the only way of preserving slow but steady progress of making Wasteland into solid multiplayer experience would be controlled distribution of newer versions (like dayz did at first) and preventing people from stealing new features (making own features by other's ideas is different situation).

You know, I could have a lot to say about your comment of taking it without permission, but I would rather not. I have no plans of saying 'LOOK, NO MODDING,ETC'. Unless of course you have a proposition. You see, my origin plan was to release Wasteland and allow limited modding, but your actions in the past threw that plan completely out the window, so for now Wasteland is what it is and whatever the server host makes it. As I said, my plans were thrown completely out the window and now I wait till ArmA 3 to make my plans a reality with game changing features. My motivation for large scale bigger development on ArmA 2 is gone.

You know, I could have a lot to say about your comment of taking it without permission, but I would rather not. I have no plans of saying 'LOOK, NO MODDING,ETC'. Unless of course you have a proposition. You see, my origin plan was to release Wasteland and allow limited modding, but your actions in the past threw that plan completely out the window, so for now Wasteland is what it is and whatever the server host makes it. As I said, my plans were thrown completely out the window and now I wait till ArmA 3 to make my plans a reality with game changing features. My motivation for large scale bigger development on ArmA 2 is gone.

You don't seem to take into account that we offered you our help and ideas and development powers and you downright ignored us. I don't have a proposition, I just try the grounds for idea of controlled Wasteland experience instead of uncontrollable mess that it goes into now thanks to some incompetent persons. Well, it is what it is now, we will have to keep moving by our own path.

You don't seem to take into account that we offered you our help and ideas and development powers and you downright ignored us. I don't have a proposition, I just try the grounds for idea of controlled Wasteland experience instead of uncontrollable mess that it goes into now thanks to some incompetent persons. Well, it is what it is now, we will have to keep moving by our own path.

Didn't ignore, I said I would be releasing Wasteland in the future, I specially wanted it to stay in development at that time on a single server.

If you want to go your own path, go ahead and I wish you luck. All I ask is that if you do, the name of it is changed and all my code that I wrote that may be remaining removed. If you had waited when I replied to you before saying that I didn't wish for it to be hosted / used anywhere else for the mean time as I did on the DayZ website when I was still a dev then maybe this wouldn't of happened and we could all be happy.

Either way you may choose, I wish you luck and hope you respect my decision.

Didn't ignore, I said I would be releasing Wasteland in the future, I specially wanted it to stay in development at that time on a single server.

If you want to go your own path, go ahead and I wish you luck. All I ask is that if you do, the name of it is changed and all my code that I wrote that may be remaining removed. If you had waited when I replied to you before saying that I didn't wish for it to be hosted / used anywhere else for the mean time as I did on the DayZ website when I was still a dev then maybe this wouldn't of happened and we could all be happy.

Either way you may choose, I wish you luck and hope you respect my decision.

Alright thank you, wish you luck in development as well. We going to do major update soon which will not feature any of your code (though mission already 90% consists of my code).

Edited by SaMatra

I noticed the mod has a time adjustment in it, how can i get it to run a normal 24 hour clock like real life, but I want to offset the day from the server time, Im sure the last part is easy enough because I can do that on the Domination Server.

Tonic-_- thank you for such a great mission. My team (SBP) has been having a lot of fun for the past couple of weeks. Yesterday we've managed (small guerrilla group) to bring down much stronger enemy ;) we found their base (their chopper was a give away, heh), set traps, ransacked the place and drove off with their vehices and burn down any leftovers. We found out that opposing side's had 4 tanks, but we took them down with stolen javelin and other wierd ways (using An-2 as a kamikaze, stealing a badly damanged tank but otherwise functional to destroy 2 T90s, heh). Pic of a winning team with stolen tank:

http://www.vojak.si/modules/news/image.php?news_id=1186&seq_num=2&size=2

;)

p.s. it seems we were using one of modified version (404game something), but missions were too frequent, every 5min... and each one gave one tank :)

Our server side is entirely our own. We use about 5% of your client code as the rest is incomprehensible/doesn't work/done badly. We find better ways of implementing others' ideas. sharing is caring and you can't have a monopoly on ideas.

At least we credit Tonic and give back to the community.

Edit: Sa-Matra, we've found plenty of code you're trying to pass off as your own which was stolen from others. People in glass houses or something.

Our server side is entirely our own. We use about 5% of your client code as the rest is incomprehensible/doesn't work/done badly. We find better ways of implementing others' ideas. sharing is caring and you can't have a monopoly on ideas.

At least we credit Tonic and give back to the community.

Edit: Sa-Matra, we've found plenty of code you're trying to pass off as your own which was stolen from others. People in glass houses or something.

This isn't the place for this, so please stay on the topic at hand, if you two may have an issue just take it up with each other through another means of communication.

Sorry Tonic, it's just that Sa-Matra is just so self-righteous it gets on my nerves.

Did you ever get my email about time by the way?

Sorry Tonic, it's just that Sa-Matra is just so self-righteous it gets on my nerves.

Did you ever get my email about time by the way?

I just go through to that email today, you should of received an email.

Not sure if this is part of the mod, but when the characters run around they leave a dust trail similar to when the cars drive on the road.... how can i remove this dust trail from the players....?

I also added backpacks to the loot spawn such as the coyote and alice pack, but some of the players can not wear them... is this an ARMA 2 conflict?

Edited by TriGGa