Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Charles

Neil Armstrong (82) died

Just seen it - great shame.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKx4R5hKWMhg2ZZ8Sa4tjFMJldA4P2zMUCwcQEI5zT8kM8mWKhlA

Armstrong after piloting the X-15, lets not forget all the great things he achieved.

Neil Armstrong deserves a own thread.

One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind. Exciting times. May he rest in peace.

:icon_frown:

Rest in peace Mr. Armstrong. You're a true hero.

Maybe you can now go back to the moon anytime you want.

To quote the Armstrong family: "next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon …. think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink"

Am I the only one who is shocked and a little disappointed that this thread only has 10 replies?

This man has already gone down in history as one of the human race's great pioneers.

Rest in Peace Neil Armstrong :beam:

Lets not forget the rest of Apollo 11 crew:

Buzz Aldrin and Micheal Collins :notworthy:

Am I the only one who is shocked and a little disappointed that this thread only has 10 replies?

I grew up being a stargazer, enjoyed getting a telescope (a rather lame excuse for it) for birthday when i was seven or eight, collected soviet, cuban and polish stamps - of which my favorite were the ones with rocket ships, cosmodromes and probes. then, when star trek the next generation premiered in poland back in 1988 i was in seventh heaven, as it was not only a sci-fi show liek many others; it was mainly about exploration, the human hunger for knowledge and curiosity of the unknown. now i'm 32 and still interested in stars, spending (sometimes) long hours on youtube, watching images of distant galaxies, nebulaes... not many people do so, it's not like a cool mainstream hobby, in fact it's a pretty nerdy thing (when viewed by common people), isn't it? Perhaps there are some who just won't admit it, or maybe has the world turned it's back on space and today's people have no place in their lives for dreams like these anymore.. i'd like to think not, as it's rather a pesimistic vision...(but see bottom of my post - it surfaced yesterday here in poland in response to a similar lack of interest for mr. armstrong death)

so, something optimistic, lyrics to commemorate mr armstrong and all the brave men and women who actually go out there, inspire us and enrich humanity:

_yijcWsLda8

419836_401434976582653_1840128802_n.jpg

translates as; ''the man here walked the moon and you know him only for tour de france'' ... sad, but the majority of today's teens won't even get the 'humor' in it

Edited by topas

Yeh, I wondered too. If the community here had an average age of 15, I might have understood ...... but it doesn't

Gnat;2215815']Yeh' date=' I wondered too. If the community here had an average age of 15, I might have understood ...... but it doesn't[/quote']

Simple minded. I hate to celebrate people only when they die. You'll forget in a month or sooner anyway. This has nothing to do with my respect for Neil.

WTF! ... simple minded am I (or you? not sure the translation).... lol ok, whatever.

BTW, my "15 year old" reference was simply a reference to "a man and event before their time", nothing to do with any other factor.

a great man, a great destiny. Like youri Gagarine and the other pioneers;

He was a opened door on space, and the future of mankind.

I was saddened by the news of the death of a gifted, courageous and modest man, the face of one of humanity's greatest achievements. I marked the occasion by showing my 4 and 6 year old kids the various iconic photos especially the magical one of Buzz Aldrin taken by Neil on the moon. They were absolutely mesmerised, and I can guarantee that there will be 2 young people who won't confuse Neil and Lance!

Its been quite a while , but I thought I should share this. Its the scene at Purdue University in front of the Armstrong building on the night he passed away.

2012-08-26-211752.jpg

RIP, Armstrong.

Edited by Raptor13270