Sign in to follow this  
Spinecone

Operation Bullseye

Hello, at the point in Bullseye where you are shot down, I cannot seem to land safely, I am roughly familiar with how to autorotate, but I don't even get the chance, no matter what airspeed/altitude combo I try, The copter just plummets, usually banking heavily to the right, before I get a chance to get the chopper into autorotation. The cyclic barely responds, and what little control I do have is no use becuse I'm achieving a rate of descent of 44 feet per second.

If it helps, The blades become visible while im on the way down.

What am I doing wrong? Flying around the ambush site doesnt seem to work, as the copter will take the hit anyway.

Could I land in the water and then swim to the shore?

Have you made sure to roll the throttle to idle and fully lower the collective? I usually only seem to descend that fast if I've left the collective up. The way I think you're meant to autorotate is - start with an airspeed of 60+ knots and decent altitude; fully lower the collective and roll throttle to idle (might be "closed", but idle seems to work ok for me); then manage your airspeed so that it's between 50 and 100 (?) mph (I think, I learnt with metric) and your rate of decent is optimally - 16 feet/s. If your cyclic doesn't respond enough to allow you to do this, is it possible that you've damaged your helicopter quite a bit? I can't see why else it wouldn't work. Anyway, once you get close to the ground, flare to slow down and raise the collective smoothly as needed to reduce rate of descent. Just don't use the collective too much - it's rotating on stored energy (from air passing through the rotor blades on your descent), which will quickly bleed off once the collective is raised, meaning that if you don't time it right, you will fall again (but this time, probably too close to the ground to start autorotating).

That's the basic process for a light, and it's what I used for the medium in that mission, though IRL the speeds and descent rates will be different from helicopter to helicopter. If you already knew all that and it still isn't working, post back here and I'll see if I can think of something.

Also, what difficulty are you playing on?

Thanks Mattressi, that really helped, made it down safe and sound :P