Sign in to follow this  
wasserkool

Will be testing Arma 2 OA using FOUR SSDs in RAID 0 controlled by LSI RAID controller

As the ultimate die hard Arma 2 fan and with my due respect to this GREATEST GAME EVER, I hereby sacrifice my new system to the cause of achieving perfection in this perfect game:

After months of scouring the forums here and looking for hardware, I've finally completed my video editing and gaming rig and I am glad to say everything is running smooth as butter! Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.2 GHz

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 Mhz (4 x 8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79-WS

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 X 2 CrossFire

PSU: Dark Power be quiet! P10 1200W PSU

Storage Subsystem (the real important part for ARMA2)

SAS Controller: LSI 9266-8i

OS Drive: 256 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAXIops

Application Drive: 4 X 128GB Vertex 4 in RAID 0

Secondary Drives:

300GB Seagate Cheetah 15K.7

450GB Seagate Cheetah 15K.7

600GB X 2 Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 RAID 0

Mass Storage Drive: 2 x Lacie Quadra D2 2TB External Drives

I will be using HDD activity analysis software to track the RAID array usage and report back, and we will see how far Arma 2 will push the IO limit :D

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 ----------

Reserved

---------- Post added at 02:48 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

Reserved

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 ----------

Reserved

Dude forget the SSDs and just load the game into a RAM disk (you have 32gb....). Will blow away your ssd drives.

what about ingame setting u use? If u want maxed out, dont forget 10km view distance and 200% 3D resolution ;)

Heh, let us know how you go. I've got a 3 x SSD RAID 0, but using quite old SSDs (the total peak read/write of my array is about equal than the performance of one of the newer ones).

what about ingame setting u use? If u want maxed out, dont forget 10km view distance and 200% 3D resolution ;)

I can tell you right now that even with my system I cannot run this game fully maxed out at my monitor's native 2560X1600 resolution. Maybe some of you guys here have tips and pointers on how to optimize the performance.

Dude forget the SSDs and just load the game into a RAM disk (you have 32gb....). Will blow away your ssd drives.

I know but I do alot of mission critical work on my computer (video editing, 3D modelling etc - hence the mild overclock) that always eats up all the RAM. I will be upgrading to 64GB in the coming months.

A single SSD pisses it now, no need to waste all that disk space with raiding them up, use them for separate games instead.

A2 and OA have had their streaming software constantly updated and there is no need now for even RAMdisk over SSD to be honest as it makes almost zero difference, and that is coming from one of the advocates of using a RAMdisk. Why at some point I bought 24GB of it for my current rig.

A single decent SSD is all you need, anything else is now overkill for overkill's sake. Although that is fun in itself. :devil:

I can tell you right now that even with my system I cannot run this game fully maxed out at my monitor's native 2560X1600 resolution.

crazy.....

Do you have the Nvidia Inspector? (You can tweak / force some settings there like SSAO etc)