Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

What Are Your Favorite Programs/Applications?

The 'Call' function on my cellphone. Apparently, hard to locate on today's "smart" phones. You youngsters and your jive talk.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one not having a "smart" phone. :)

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one not having a "smart" phone. :)

HELL NO!

Long live the buttons!! :yay:

Hi

could anyone point to a good application to partition Hard disks. I'm a long time Win Xp user and switched currently to Win 7. I hoped during the install of the OS It would enable me to partition my Hard disk, but it didn't . . . now I'm stuck with a gigantic 2 TB HD which I desperately need to partition.

Any advice is really appreciated.

I apologize in case it's the wrong thread to ask.

Cheers

Hi

could anyone point to a good application to partition Hard disks. I'm a long time Win Xp user and switched currently to Win 7. I hoped during the install of the OS It would enable me to partition my Hard disk, but it didn't . . . now I'm stuck with a gigantic 2 TB HD which I desperately need to partition.

Any advice is really appreciated.

I apologize in case it's the wrong thread to ask.

Cheers

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Pretty much wrong thread, i'd say, though :)

You're looking for this - http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

easy ( just use the sliders ) and quite excellent actually

I also wanted to add - sandboxie, very light program that allows you to run or install programs without actually changing your registry or cluttering your OS, such as unknown or untrusted programs.

Edited by Bee8190

Any of these methods good for shrinking/partitioning drives that already contain data?

Yes, even when data are on the HDD. I however recommend to have some free space ( 30-50% ? )as I was unable to partition my other 500GB HDD the way I exactly wanted it.

This'll be easy since there always in my tray area.

Plex Media Server

Spotify

Steam

UltraMon

mIRC

QuickGama

And of course Chrome

Does someone know free programms that can encrypt your HDDs?

Does someone know free programms that can encrypt your HDDs?

TrueCrypt springs to mind. I've used it in the past and thought it was quite good.

TrueCrypt springs to mind. I've used it in the past and thought it was quite good.

Truecrypt is the way to go :)

Notepad++ Extremely nice program to work with when working in .lua's or .html's

Photoshop CS5.1 Userfriendly, easy to get known with and it has every tool you need.

3dsmax Great for making 3d models, animations, scenes to use in movies and so on.

After Effects CS5.5 I think this is the best program to make effects with, I'm creating VFX for 2 years now and It works so well with this program, every tool is there, cheers for adobe.

Sony vegas pro 11 For rendering everything out in 1080i/p and for the movie clip editing and sound mixing.

a few

MyPaint

My favorite painting application, so intuitive, so many brushes, so easy and natural to use.

Gimp

not as good as photoshop, but more than enough for my needs in combination to MyPaint

Blender

Amazing 3D suite, spending most of my free time with it.

Sculptris

Sculptris is to digital sculpting what MyPaint is to digital painting , incredibly intuititve and feels so natural to use.

Libre Office

All the office suite you need.

Irfanview

To browse photos collection , easy and fast

Sandboxie

use program and browse the net inside an isolated sandbox

• Chrome/Firefox, use both randomly to surf, still trying to work out which one I prefer the most.
  • Prefer TS3 over skype but they both have pretty much the same functionality for me, depends who I'm talking to though I'll use whatever they prefer.
  • Wordpad.
  • Microsoft word, Excel and occasionally powerpoint - they're pretty much compatible with everything and because my dad doesn't use MS office so I basically have a free (his) license for it, when I go to uni though I'll probably start using google docs for all my work though.
  • VLC media player. <3
  • Fraps.
  • Used to use gamebooster but I'm not sure whether I trust IObit - dunno whether this is a keeper when I order my new computer.
  • Itunes.
  • Steam, although I prefer hard-disk copies of games
  • When I'm in an editing mood I usually stick to Sony Vegas and Adobe photoshop, although if I want a certain elaborate effect I'll try and conjure something up in After FX.
    Occasionally I also edit some sound effects in Audacity when I can't find the tool to do it in vegas, but I use vegas to compile&publish pretty much all my audio/video projects.
  • Used Teamviewer about 3 times in my life, it's pretty cool but yea, don't really use it anymore..
  • Used to use PC Tools Spyware doctor - it was very good but it clashed with punkbuster so I haven't renewed it and am currently anti-virus-less :P (doesn't bother me much, new computer soon as my current graphics card is fried (I'm currently typing in what looks like a blurry 640x480 screen res. with sever colour distortion and random artifacts everywhere!) and hardware needs updating in general, especially for ARMA3)

Might as well mention:

For my ridonculously slow HTC wildfire I've pretty much de-installed everything except the following in the hope of speeding my phone up:

• Gmail Inbox app.
  • Internet.
  • AK Notepad.
  • Twitter app.
  • Flashlight
  • Phone basics such as messages, call functionality, cam, camcorder.
  • and Last but definitely not least, soundcloud - if there were an 'app' for this on pc I would have it running in the background all day long.

No games! music is enough to keep me entertained when I'm out and about.

One I use all the time that is missing from the lists above: Agent Ransack.

By far the best search engine I've ever used, on any OS. Will search for strings inside virtually any file type I've tried (except for Outlook's horrible .pst files).

That includes exes and pbos. Got a vague error message in the RPT and you're not sure which addon is responsible? Just search the relevant pbos for the string in the RPT message.

Lots of search options including regular expressions. It is also very fast. Results can be copied to the clipboard as formatted text.

Oh, and it's free, with no spy- or adware.

- photoshop

- wings 3d

- winamp

- i tunes to buy music

- Last fm

- vlc

- foxit

- bittorent

KMPlayer

I have a Media Center PC with alot of videos. This player can play just about anything you throw it. It's like VLC Player 3.0 :p

Notepad++ - a must for everyone who's doing c++ or .sqs scripting!!

Audacity - the only right thing for basic audio file editing. Allows to import plugins for various effects, which are also useful when editing sounds for OFP-missions (i.e., improving your voice-overs and sound effects)

Gimp - a nice freeware alternative to all that Photoshop stuff. Good for creating and editing textures. The .xcf format allows you to save the whole file with layers, so you can re-edit every single part of the texture whenever you think you need to do so.

WinPBO - a very good tool to pack/unpack .pbo files. Fulfills all the basic needs for handling .pbo files, doesn't cause complications often, just plain good Russian quality.

TxtPathSwap - quick and clean; renders various hex-editors useless by simply giving us the option to access and change every texture in the .p3d file.

Firefox - because I hate Internet Explorer. Seriously, f**ck you, IE. Go and die in a hole. I want you to die a horrible death, you ugly motherf**cker!

Dropbox - it allows you to upload and share up to 2 GB of files. Just all you need for getting your mods and add-ons out there. Free.

Skype - relatively good and free program to chat/videochat. It doesn't have a high hate-factor, like the Facebook chat.

Steam - causes slowdown on my PC, has a few glitches, but it's still the best video-game service I've ever experienced. No matter if you lose CDs, Steam will see you bought the game and give you a full download.

COMODO Firewall - a good addition to your everyday paranoid security complex.

VLC Media Player - sadly it cuts off a few milliseconds of each file when playing it back, but it's reliable, open for everything and generally just does what you tell it to do.

Fraps - even the demo version which is limited in capture time is pretty neat. I'm using it for gameplay trailers/demos.

Notepad++ - a must for everyone who's doing c++ or .sqs scripting!!

+1

Gimp - a nice freeware alternative to all that Photoshop stuff. Good for creating and editing textures. The .xcf format allows you to save the whole file with layers, so you can re-edit every single part of the texture whenever you think you need to do so.

+1 - but also look at Photoscape, has some features Gimp still lacks. Free, & remarkably small IMHO

Firefox - because I hate Internet Explorer. Seriously, f**ck you, IE. Go and die in a hole. I want you to die a horrible death, you ugly motherf**cker!

+10^n

COMODO Firewall - a good addition to your everyday paranoid security complex.

+1. Used Comodo Internet Security since 2009 or so, never felt any need to change. Matouschek regularly score it top of a long list of other free and all the pay-for firewalls.

Also look at Malwarebytes Anti-malware ("MBAM"; free) & Trend Micro's RUBotted (free), permanent fixtures on my machines..

VLC Media Player - sadly it cuts off a few milliseconds of each file when playing it back, but it's reliable, open for everything and generally just does what you tell it to do.

Yeah, good program for Win X or Linux. I also use Media Player Classic & Real Alternative in XP.

+1 - but also look at Photoscape, has some features Gimp still lacks. Free, & remarkably small IMHO

Photoscape sounds interesting, I'll check it out. I'm right now in the processing of designing hundreds of textures, so that might come in handy. I'm also using Media Player Classic in XP, mostly for playing .wav files.

I've got a quick question - does anyone know of reliable, free video editing software? I would use it to edit clips for OFP demo videos, currently I'm using Magix Music Maker, which is, as the name implies, rather meant for music...

I've got a quick question - does anyone know of reliable, free video editing software? I would use it to edit clips for OFP demo videos, currently I'm using Magix Music Maker, which is, as the name implies, rather meant for music...

Microsoft Movie Maker is OK for basic editing. Can even do titles etc. And will output nice small files with little loss of quality.