Sign in to follow this  
xxDanxS

Arma 2 lag/hanging/freezing! PLEASE help!

Yesterday I bought Arma 2: Combined Operations on Steam. Whenever I open the game it either lags and freezes horribly, or comes up with one of those "...is not responding" messages then will crash. Even when I play on the lowest settings, the game still lags and freezes. The menu will lag and freeze as well. When I start the game and if it works, the menu will lag, feeze, and skip. When I go to the options menu it does the same. Whenever I get into a multiplayer game, I can usually play for 3 seconds then it FREEZES for 5 - 10 seconds and so on. When I say freeze, I mean I cannot move at all. My system meets the requirements. Here are my system specs:

- Intel Celeron Dual Core 2.6 GHZ

- 4GB DDR3 RAM

- ATI Radeon HD 6450 1GB

- Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Please help me resolve this issue. Thanks!

Hi Dan welcome to BIS forums!

Have you checked the temps of your graphics card, and cpu, as for when a gpu overheats it will cause random freezes and even crashes sometimes.

1. your celeron is a very week CPU for this game.

2. your GFX card is not far behind either.

3. what is your HDD speed

4. are you up to date with your drivers

5. what are you arma2.cfg settings?

1. your celeron is a very week CPU for this game.

2. your GFX card is not far behind either.

3. what is your HDD speed

4. are you up to date with your drivers

5. what are you arma2.cfg settings?

1. I know but it should work fine. I have seen Arma 2 run on Pentium 4 single cores.

2. But it should be ok.

3. How do i find my HDD speed?

4. I am up to date with them.

5. What are arma2.cfg settings and where can i find them?

Also, I hear that disabling hyperthreading in my BIOS can help. Is that true?

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Hi Dan welcome to BIS forums!

Have you checked the temps of your graphics card, and cpu, as for when a gpu overheats it will cause random freezes and even crashes sometimes.

How do I check the temp of my CPU? The temp of my gpu is around 45 C - 50 C, which is normal, I think. I opened up my pc last night and noticed that the thermal paste is messed up and kind of dry on my cpu and heat sink. Is this affecting my performance?

Im having trouble adding a picture of it. One minute please.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q511/xxdanx/cputemp.png that is a picture of it. what do you think about it? is it normal?

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...nx/cputemp.png that is a picture of it. what do you think about it? is it normal?

Ya your cpu temps are fine, best time to test the temps though si while your ingame.

What are your video settings set on?

Did you verify the integrity of the cache with steam?

Do you have any system process running in the background like antivirus, and other system services, a way to check

to see what your running is right click your taskbar and go to the task manager then processes, and see what

you got there, how many process does it say are running at the bottom left of the window?

@xxDanxS: hate to break it you but Pufu is right, your rig is borderline for running such a resource-hungry game as OA.

But don't worry, with some judicious tweaks here and there you should be able to improve the game performance:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Ya your cpu temps are fine, best time to test the temps though si while your ingame.

What are your video settings set on?

Did you verify the integrity of the cache with steam?

Do you have any system process running in the background like antivirus, and other system services, a way to check

to see what your running is right click your taskbar and go to the task manager then processes, and see what

you got there, how many process does it say are running at the bottom left of the window?

- My video settings are on the lowest.

- When I try to verify the integrity of the cache, I get this error: "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired"

- Even when Arma is the only thing running, I still have the same issues.

I'd say upgrade your graphics card.

what is your power supply, PSU?

I just updated my graphics card. It is a Radeon HD 6450 1GB. It is not the best, but it should work for this game, even on low settings. My power supply is 220 W. It is low, but my video card is not connected to it so it should'nt really matter. When I opened up my PC I took off the heat sink and noticed that the thermal compound is somewhat dry, should that affect the performance? If I get new thermal compound will that change my performance to make it better?

My power supply is 220 W.

220!!!!!? holy shite thats weak, heres part of if not major part of the problem you dont have enough juice to power anything,

you need to upgrade this or youll keep getting what your getting. I have a 500watt power supply I can give you if you want it.

It is low, but my video card is not connected to it so it should'nt really matter.

The power supply is what powers the whole motherboard, if your vid is not connected to it then its probably getting power

from the motherboard, I mean it does need power, or else how is it running.

I took off the heat sink and noticed that the thermal compound is somewhat dry, should that affect the performance?

Dam straight it will, cpu will create heat, and if anything is overheating you will get freezing and lag, the thermal gel shouldn't be dry.

What you need to do is clean the heat sink and the cpu of any residue of the old thermal gel. then when you apply the new stuff dab

it on the heat sink in the middle, just a bit to make a small pool, then put the heat sink on evenly and the heat sync will spread out the gel over the cpu.

New thermal gel should help improve performance by reducing if not removing any extra heat the cpu is producing.

I can vouch for this, for me my cpu is slowly failing and is overheating when it does overheat my game and computer will freeze

and I have to restart the computer to get back.

For you just make sure you check the temps of everything, keep the inside of your computer free and clean of dust, as dust will

insulate everything and make things heat up faster, make sure you have plenty of air flow so things stay relatively cool.

When I opened up my PC I took off the heat sink and noticed that the thermal compound is somewhat dry, should that affect the performance? If I get new thermal compound will that change my performance to make it better?

I want to WARN you that the moment you took off the heatsink you have to reapply thermal compound. You can't just stick it back with the old one, the thermal connection between cpu and heatsink has been degraded, especially for old dry compound.

Again I strongly advice to not use the pc until you reapply new compound.

the moment you took off the heatsink you have to reapply thermal compound.
Again I strongly advice to not use the pc until you reapply new compound.

Good advice.

If you dont clean the heatsink and cpu of the old thermal gel and or dont reapply new thermal gel, your cpu would overheat to a point where

your game would freeze, from there you'd be forced to restart the computer. On the note of overheating other components can be damaged.

The thermal gel does alot in what its designed to do and a little goes along way, I'd also suggest getting a good brand or type if you will,

I'd recommend Ultra if you need some, start with that.

The power supply is what powers the whole motherboard, if your vid is not connected to it then its probably getting power

from the motherboard, I mean it does need power, or else how is it running.

a graphic card may very well run and function without the power connected from the psu BUT you wont get anything even close to approaching full performance.

it will only work with its most basic functions (displaying whats on the screen) without any acceleration at all (comparable to windows safe mode, in a way)

no doubt it will add additional load to the psu though via the motherboard as any component inside your pc will.

aside from that i have to agree with the rest of the guys:

PSU way too small - you are running the risk of overloading/damaging the PSU which in turn may well affect other components. (you could use this calculator to determine the required PSU wattage)

Heatsink Compound has to be reapplied - CPU overheats causing crashes and may cause irreparable damage to CPU.

VGA card must be connected to sufficiently powerful psu in order to enable the required functions for gaming.

Edited by McSpeed

Few days ago i had buy ArmA II:Combined Operations in Steam Store. But in singleplayer misson "Razor-2" i've found a strange bug. Player needs to check three points. When i check two of them and coming to third my game is freezing. I tried to reinstall whole Arma II + Arma II:AO, Drivers, DirectX. Tried to install it on another PC. I even had buy non-steam cd-key, but it's still freezing at the same point. I asked about this bug on many forums and another users told me to ask about it here. Hope you can help me.

My PC: cpu i5 3.2 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, nvidia gtx 560 1024Mb, hdd 1,5 Tb, OS win 7 x64

Edited by Simple_Slip

A Celeron T3400? I don't think you'll get any decent game experience using that.

Also, given that this is a 775 socket CPU, how are you using DDR3 on it? I thought these motherboards only supported DDR2. (edit** No, I'm wrong. Some 775 mobos do support it, but they don't support the faster varients**)

Added to that, you're taken the cooler off without cleaning and reapplying thermal paste. Not good.

I'm afraid you're going to have to come to terms with the fact this rig was cutting edge ten years ago. None of it's components are even the slightest bit modern.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Oh, and by the way, your CPU doesn't support hyperthreading, turning it on (or off) won't make any difference.

Edited by Tankbuster