Sign in to follow this  
pathetic_berserker

Mi24-A, Krokodil

is9_by_pafetik_bazerka-d9sjrej.jpg

All the info you need is in the readme but I'll reiterate that apart from A2/OA the required addons are only for the Lingor, Moltatian and Red Dawn versions, and these versions are still accessible in vanila A2\OA as empty vehicles with out any error messages.
And those versions and some other extra skins are in the folder called 'Optional stuff'

UPDATE! v_03 is finally here!

Tweaked flight model to bring it closer to the in game BIS Mi-24
Better Ai detection
Tougher Armour

cheers, enjoy!

download is ~117meg

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3jdirbxao297/PAF_Mi-24A_v_03.7z

Mirrors v_03
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16615

readme under spoiler.

Mi24-A, Krokodil
---------
Intro -
----------
I thought I'd write some interesting stuff about the history of this machine,
but remembered how easy it is to google and have since gotten lazy,
however one of the better articles I stumbled upon can be found here;
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4317083/The-mighty-Mi-24-the.html

-------------------------------------
About this addon paf_mi24_a v_03
-------------------------------------

WHAT YOU DON'T GET:

Correct early 70's period chopper pilots. Don't have time to make period pilots and though it was tempting to go with CWr2 pilots, I wanted my core addon to be free of 3rd party dependence.

WHAT YOU DO GET:

PBO: CLASS NAMES DESCRIPTION

paf_mi24_a.pbo............................Requires A2/OA. The core addon, contains all .p3d's, Russian, and Takistan skins. Flown by vanila Russian and Takistan pilos

"paf_mi24_a_early"........Early production version with tail rotor on right side,version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2, Russian winter skin ,Russian pilot

"paf_mi24_a_RUs5".........Standard version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2, Russian Desert skin ,Russian pilot
"paf_mi24_a_RUFAB250".....Standard version with 2xUB32, 2XFAB250 and 4xAT2, Russian Desert skin ,Russian pilot
"paf_mi24_a_RUUPK_23".....Standard version with 2xUB32, 2XUPK_23 and 4xAT2, Russian Desert skin ,Russian pilot

"paf_mi24_a_Taks5"........Export version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2, Takistan Desert skin, inspired by a documented Afganistan skin, Taki pilot
"paf_mi24_a_TakFAB250"....Standard version with 2xUB32, 2XFAB250 and 4xAT2, Takistan Desert skin, Taki pilot

"paf_mi24_a_CDFs5"........Export version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2, CDF 'Krokodil' skin, CDF pilots
"paf_mi24_a_CDFUPK_23"....Export version with 2xUB32, 2XUPK_23 and 4xAT2, CDF 'Krokodil' skin, CDF pilots

------------------
**OPTIONAL SKINS**........................Left optional and separate so people can better manage dependencies and folder structures. DEPENDANCIES OTHER THAN A2/OA ARE FOR PILOTS ONLY.
------------------

paf_mi24_a_redawn.pbo.....................Requires A2/OA and CWR2.Config and skin for camo from 'Red Dawn' the movie, just for laughs. Flown By CWR2 pilot because no fool should be attempting 'Red Dawn' re-enactments without CWR2 (Mr T)

"paf_mi24_a_RedDawn"......Early production version with tail rotor on right side, 4xUB32 and 4xAT2

paf_mi24_a_nva.pbo........................Requires A2/OA. Config and skin for North Vietnamese Army,inspired by versions on display in Nth Veitnam museum. Flown by Taki pilot, seemed to fit best

"paf_mi24_a_NVs5".........Standard version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2, brown and green skin
"paf_mi24_a_NVUPK_23".....Standard version with 2xUB32, 2XUPK_23 and 4xAT2, brown and green skin
"paf_mi24a_early_NVs5"....Early production version with tail rotor on right side,pale green motled skin, with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2 , just a hypothetical for scenarios circa the closing days of the Vietnam war

paf_mi24_a_gal.pbo........................Requires A2/OA and Icebreakrs Lingor_units. Gov't Army of Lingor (GAL) skin , flown by GAL pilots

"paf_mi24_a_GALs5"........Export version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2
"paf_mi24_a_GALUPK_23"....Export version with 2xUB32, 2XUPK_23 and 4xAT2

paf_mi24_a_MOL.pbo........................Requires A2/OA and Icebreakrs isla_duala. Molatian Army 'Krokodil' skin , flown by Molation Army pilots

"paf_mi24_a_Mols5"........Export version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2
"paf_mi24_a_MolUPK_23"....Export version with 2xUB32, 2XUPK_23 and 4xAT2

paf_mi24_a_sla.pbo........................Requires A2/OA. SLA skin, flown by russian pilots

"paf_mi24_a_SLAs5".........Standard version with 4xUB32 and 4xAT2, SLA skin ,Russian pilot
"paf_mi24_a_SLAFAB250".....Standard version with 2xUB32, 2XFAB250 and 4xAT2, SLA skin ,Russian pilot
"paf_mi24_a_SLAUPK_23".....Standard version with 2xUB32, 2XUPK_23 and 4xAT2, SLA skin ,Russian pilot

--------------------
**OPTIONAL MISSION**......................placed in your user missions will access via editor a showcase of all models.
**THIS MISSION WILL WORK WITHOUT 3rd PARTY ADDONS, ALL VEHICLES ARE EMPTY AND DEPENDANCIES OTHER THAN A2/OA ARE FOR PILOTS ONLY.**
--------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***********************************************************************************************
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CREDITS:

PATHETIC BERSERKER - For the vision, 3D modeling, texture work, and rudimentary animation & config stuff behind creating this addon.

zGUBA - Advancing and directing config and general clue giving/direction pointing.

ICEBREAKER - for supplying Government Army of Lingor camo and roundels for GAL and Molatian units.

BIS - For allowing the use of textures (specifically instrument clock faces) As well as the great game platform, tools, and community support we know them for.

LEOPOTAM - For correcting the Russian on the instrument panels and for his awesome Blender to O2 export/import tools making this project possible for me.

****WITH SPECIAL ATTENTION****

This is a derived work based on:

EricM Mi-24 BETA1 Pack (SLA)
Put in game by RKSL Studios.

Released: 21-June-08

And a great thanks goes out to both EricM and RKSL Studios who gave permission, as well as MLODS, and reference material.

--------------------------------------------------------
CREDITS FOR THE ORIGINAL EricM Mi-24 BETA1 Pack (SLA);
--------------------------------------------------------
Model and Textures – EricM
Config and animations – Rock (RKSL studios)

***********************************************************************************************

* * * *TERMS OF USE & CONDITIONS OF RELEASE* * * *

By downloading this addon you accept ALL the following terms and conditions:
- You are granted a personal, non-exclusive license to use this addon.
- This addon is not FREEWARE
- This addon, model, textures or config may not be commercially exploited in any way. This includes “pay to download†or “burn to disk†services and or Military training purposes.
- This addon is designed exclusively for use only in BIS’ ArmA PC series (including 'Take On'). You may not port or convert any of its content for use in any other game or platform
- You may NOT use this in VBS2.
- You may freely distribute these addons only in its original package.

-------------
INSTALLLATION
-------------

REQUIREMENTS - Arma2/OA

- place @PAFs_stuff folder in your \ArmA2 folder
and include the -mod=@PAFs_stuff suffix to your shortcut.
OR take the paf_mi14_a.pbo and put it in which ever mod\addons folder you choose.

- Contents of the Optional Stuff folder, REQUIREMENTS - Arma2/OA, CWR2, Lingor_units, and isla_duala. (see above for where and when)
merge with @PAFs_stuff folder in your \ArmA2 folder
OR distubute contents as you feel best suits ie;paf_mi24_a_MOL.pbo to @isla_duala\addons, paf_mi24_a_gal.pbo to @lingor_units\addons, etc
Contents of the Missions folder to your User\My Documents\ArmA2\Missions folder.

----------
CHANGE LOG
----------

v_02 to v_03
* improved flight model, now less twitchy with smoother keyboard yaw. Acknowledged that some may like it smoother but its quite good with other inputs.
* improved armour,
* improved AI detection

v_01 to v_02
* added "paf_mi24_a_CDFs5", "paf_mi24_a_CDFUPK_23", to core addon
* added "paf_mi24a_early_NVs5", "paf_mi24_a_SLAs5", "paf_mi24_a_SLAFAB250", "paf_mi24_a_SLAUPK_23", to optional skins
* changed displayed naming convention from, eg; "Mi24A_UPK_23" to "Mi-24A (UPK-23)"
* fixed specular on piot and gunner lods
* changed cockpit door animations sourced by 'rpm' instead of 'altradar' (thanks for the tip Rock)
* disconnected land contact points from dampers to fix bouncing when on ships or roofs (thanks again Rock, you were right it is ugly , but I think the lesser of two evils)
* added shadow LODs to panel proxys in Pilot and Gunner LODs
* updated Showcase mission to include new variants.
* tweaked main rotor blur and some other bits.

Beta01 to v_01
*signed addons

Alpha5 to Beta 01
* tweaked scale
* Implemented - Leopotams instrument panel corrections fixing many spelling errors
* Added - Molatian 'Krokodil' skin.(P.Berserker)
* fix - compass textures and instrument anims.

Alpha 4 to Alpha 5
* Changed - Going from EricM's 6 cargo positions to 8 cargo positions, to bring in line with A2 Hinds.(P.Berserker)
* Fixed - dammage textures (Soul Assassin via BIS forums)
* Improved - door strut animation.(P.Berserker)
* added - Afanasyev 12.7 single barrel nose gun with 900 rds. (P.Berserker)
* improved - animations of forward gunners turret and optics(P.Berserker)
* fixed - 'destructype',damage model, addon no longer disappears under ground when destroyed (P.Berserker)
* improved - rvmats now use BIS 'super shader'(P.Berserker)
* added - 'Red DAwn' skin.(P.Berserker)
* replaced - Glass damage textures from EricMs' Hind-D with relevant ones. (P.Berserker)
is9_by_pafetik_bazerka-d9sjrej.jpg

Alpha 1 to Alpha 4
* inproved -slight rework to AT-2 swatter model. (P.Berserker)
* fixed - textures on statik rotor selections so they disapear in flight and rotor blur spins.(P.Berserker)
* improved - gunners, and pilot LOD textures. (P.Berserker)
* removed - all references to ERICM and his previous work in the config & file path structure. (P.Berserker)
* fixed - adopted the 'hiddenselectionstexture' method to allow greater flexibility of versioning. (P.Berserker)
* added - Early production winter, Takistan, and Nth Vietnamese skins. (P.Berserker)
* added - Government Army of Lingor skins. (Icebreaker)
* improved - shadows LODS. (P.Berserker)
* improved - relevance and layout of config, now referencing BIS-Mi24.(zGuba)
* improved - animations of forward gunners turret.(zGuba)
* uncoutable tweaking

KNOWN ISSUEs OUTSTANDING

* Flight model could be better, but cant they always.
* optical model for gunner
* remove white crosshair from UPK-23 gunpods

Edited by pathetic_berserker

You just made my day!

Counting down the minutes tonight...

Excellent work mate! Will download it tonight and go harass a few enemies with it!

Excellent stuff buddy!

AHolic Informed

Oh man, I have only looked at the Molation one so far, but it's a work of art. That cockpit it fantastic. Very, very nice - thanks for your hard work and for sharing this.

A nice evening flight over Duala and Vietnam - coming right up! ;) Thanks for the hard work.

Berserk, can you please direct me to Leopotam's tools, as for some reason I can't find them through the search function?

<edit> Ah, silly me. Found them. Now just one more spin before bedtime. One more. I swear...

Edited by dialektiikka

Oooh! That's a nifty surprise ;)

DL'ing it now.

EDIT: Just gave it a quick spin. Particularly like the standard addon's desert skin. Only two minor observations:

- The chopper's dampers seem to constantly bounce if you land it on LHD (which causes a hilarious constant door opening\closing seizure xD).

- It seems to be extremely manouverable (it ain't exactly a bad thing), but it makes it very edgy when you want to precisely maneuver it.

Other than those small niggles, stellar job :thumbs-up:

Edited by Evil_Brownie
My findings on the chopper.

Oh my god, its happend :D thanks for more RU stuff in game ;)! Keep it up :)!

ACE devs, implement it in ACE please :)

It seems to be extremely manouverable (it ain't exactly a bad thing), but it makes it very edgy when you want to precisely maneuver it.

Judging from the arguments raging on the Take On forums with regard to the 'Hind' DLC, it seems that it was (and is) a particularly lively bugger to fly. The Take On flight model bears this through.

I actually thought the flight model of this mod was actually pretty close to that of the model in Take On Hinds.

Impressive.

As a note, there is no early 'A' model in take on Hinds, if there were then I would expect BI to be a little sheepish when they see the workmanship of this.

Judging from the arguments raging on the Take On forums with regard to the 'Hind' DLC, it seems that it was (and is) a particularly lively bugger to fly. The Take On flight model bears this through.

Did not know that it was actually that twitchy. Thanks.

@Berserker well done mate. I was impressed with the renders but in game that looks fantastic. At the risk of sounding patronising; That conversion is something to be proud of.

EDIT: Just gave it a quick spin. Particularly like the standard addon's desert skin. Only two minor observations:

- The chopper's dampers seem to constantly bounce if you land it on LHD (which causes a hilarious constant door opening\closing seizure xD).

- It seems to be extremely manouverable (it ain't exactly a bad thing), but it makes it very edgy when you want to precisely maneuver it.

Other than those small niggles, stellar job :thumbs-up:

The bouncing on the deck as a common engine related flaw. There is a simple fix for it but it does look a bit ugly - just remove the land contact points from the damper selection. But its the same for any aircraft that uses the altradar animation source for the dampers. I would also suggest you swap the source for the pilot and gunner's doors to "RPM" that way they will only open when the engine is off. It would stop at least one part of the 'flapping'.

The Flight model was the subject of 'some' - British understatement there - argument when Eric and I released the original addon. It is a bit too lively in the yaw at low speed but it was as close as i could get it in ArmA1 compared with videos and manuals I had at the time. I dont know if PB changed it but it certainly feels similar.

Bloody hell mate that is amazing.... Took it for a spin around Takistan.... Just wonderfull... The detail inside and outside is amazing.. You even have the lean!... And dear god thanks for the gunpods... They are wonderfull... All of them look brilliant sir... You certainly deserve a pint or two for your hard work...

Awesome looking helo! I really dig the Russian helicopters as they are all about pure brute force and look scary as hell. :)

Great work.

Nice to see another long term project get finished up!

"Congratulations on realize".

Nice to see another long term project get finished up!

"Congratulations on realize".

Oh no you didn't!

OT: Proper congrats are in order!

:)

I actually thought the flight model of this mod was actually pretty close to that of the model in Take On Hinds.

Impressive.

As a note, there is no early 'A' model in take on Hinds, if there were then I would expect BI to be a little sheepish when they see the workmanship of this.

Oh god thats a relief, It was the one thing that I realy wasn't sure of when I released. I thought learning to fly it in TOH to compare would hold back release considerably but I did read the responses in the TOH forums for an idea (probably get it now I'll have time to play)

The bouncing on the deck as a common engine related flaw. There is a simple fix for it but it does look a bit ugly - just remove the land contact points from the damper selection. But its the same for any aircraft that uses the altradar animation source for the dampers. I would also suggest you swap the source for the pilot and gunner's doors to "RPM" that way they will only open when the engine is off. It would stop at least one part of the 'flapping'.

The Flight model was the subject of 'some' - British understatement there - argument when Eric and I released the original addon. It is a bit too lively in the yaw at low speed but it was as close as i could get it in ArmA1 compared with videos and manuals I had at the time. I dont know if PB changed it but it certainly feels similar.

Thanks for the info ROCK, I will take that into account for any possible future updates. Re the flight model, I loved the ericm one but wanted to reduce the pendulum effect a bit and found that anytime it was destroyed center of mass was pulling it onto its back. So with ericms model as the 'attainable' I kept tweaking the weight and center of mass of my model then test flying with ericms hind side by side. I think I once read a BIS developer say fight models were a black art, now I understand

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

Pathetic_Berserker, congrats. Sorry for the incomplete translation. :)

Wow, to be honest I don't even have a good sight to see the A variant before, and now I can see this mod with such quality, I really love it.

Can you remove the white crosshair when using UPK-23 gunpods, as well as tweaking the name of the choppers and weapons (e.g. "Mi24A_UPK_23" change to "Mi-24A (UPK-23)" )?