Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 91138 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

@maturin

Five 30mm AP bullets are enough to cut a heli like a razor ^^

I think you remember that chinook that got smashed in the air by RPG shot in afghanistan :S

Right, in ArmAII in the contrary a 125mm Sabot or Heat will only force you to land because of fuel leak...destruction wont happen until the third shot...to get a safe credited KILL you usually need to put 2-3 Sidewinders or R-73 into a plane or choppers and that's simply bullshit.

Lame comment because a HEAT in ArmA II will do even less.

That's HEAT's problem. Anyhow, any normal caliber HEAT weapon will shut down the main rotor, in my experience, so you still shoot down the chopper. That's a good minimum. A lot of the 'HEAT hits' people see are actually the proximity fuse that an ACE config tweak accidentally added to the RPG, combined with BIS' silly 2-meter blast radius.

Five 30mm AP bullets are enough to cut a heli like a razor ^^

Sure, if they hit any of the wide variety of vulnerable components lying around. But hit an Mi-8 in the passenger compartment and you get five 40mm-diameter holes in the thin steel. The Apache and Hind have armor that can stop 23mm rounds, so its not like ordinance this size is going to turn an airframe like that into gibs.

I think you remember that chinook that got smashed in the air by RPG shot in afghanistan :S

Yeah, because that was an actual explosive.

Just to give you an idea on how 30 mm is effective watch this video from lock on:

At 1800 rounds a minute, with HE mixed in.

But whatever, I'm not actually defending BIS's systems and configs. Just pointing out that it's not all wrong all of the time.

Edit: Also, in ArmA I blew up Mi-8s with single sabots all the time. What happened? Whatever did made it more realistic, not less, since a KE round isn't going to make a chopper explode in mid air.

Edited by maturin

I am totally aware of the fact that A2 doesn't have some kind of physx system,but at least when a heli get shot by 100 mm it should explode :D

And fix T90 armor :D

When an Abrams shoots a T90, it is disabled and blows up after a few seconds. When a T90 shoots an Abrams (with a sabot), it is usually disabled.

Since the Russians don't make sabots that can penetrate the Abrams' frontal armor, I don't see what's so unfair about this.

The problem where you can destroy a T90 with a grenade launcher applies to all armored vehicles.

Since the Russians don't make sabots that can penetrate the Abrams' frontal armor...

Strange... Why don't they?

Russians never have been too good with KE ammo. That's why they develop so many missiles.

Seems like a good SABOT would be cheaper to make, especially with so much depleted uranium around... ???

Strange... Why don't they?
It's due to lower gas pressure used in the 125mm cannons leading to lower muzzle velocity.

Not every gun has the high muzzle velocity of the Rheinmetall L44/55 smoothbore gun...the kind of penetrator is not the factor, the DM53 delivers a higher penetration with a tungsten carbide rod penetrator. at 1750m/s But all that penetration power comes with a heavy drawback t that the russians don't want to share. The L44/55 M256 cannons have a very short lifetime of only 300(desert))-500(temperate) rounds....the russian lower gas pressure guns lasts longer following the soviet/russian low maintenance doctrine.

Edited by Beagle

@maturin

During T90 tests, it sustained 7 RPG hits but stayed fully operational ...

In the game 1 PG7VL to the tracks will disable T90.

Why dont you shoot M1 using M256 ?

And by the way, T90 is one of the most armored MBTs on the market.

Qazdar perhaps do some research in various, preferably unbiased sources, and also make sure you are actually looking at the information corresponding to the depicted model T90 if I recall.

Not T90A (stronger turret) or T90M or other 'pimped' models.

That is not to say there are no problems with the T90 or M1 in the vanilla game.

It's due to lower gas pressure used in the 125mm cannons leading to lower muzzle velocity.

Not every gun has the high muzzle velocity of the Rheinmetall L44/55 smoothbore gun...the kind of penetrator is not the factor, the DM53 delivers a higher penetration with a tungsten carbide rod penetrator. at 1750m/s But all that penetration power comes with a heavy drawback t that the russians don't want to share. The L44/55 M256 cannons have a very short lifetime of only 300(desert))-500(temperate) rounds....the russian lower gas pressure guns lasts longer following the soviet/russian low maintenance doctrine.

Interesting! Thanks for the excellent info.

@maturin

During T90 tests, it sustained 7 RPG hits but stayed fully operational ...

In the game 1 PG7VL to the tracks will disable T90.

Why dont you shoot M1 using M256 ?

And by the way, T90 is one of the most armored MBTs on the market.

Of course it survived RPG hits. They were using warheads with 500mm RHA penetration. Once you get up towards 700mm of RHA, however, the T-90's frontal armor becomes vulnerable.

See the following test report, released by the Russians and published on the premier Russian tank enthusiast page (Vasilii Fofanov):

http://fofanov.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/TRIALS/19991020.html

All of BIS' tanks have stupid track hitboxes and health levels, and the problem is partly AI. They will bail out when the tank is still capable of moving to cover and fighting back.

@sickboy

Yes ,i am talking about the original model;which has the kontakt-5 ERA and shtora-1.

What's annoying me is why BIS chose T90's armor to be even weaker than the M1A1 ??

I play warfare a lot and have seen T90 being disabled by various methods including the case where it's shot by stinger ...

@sickboy

Yes ,i am talking about the original model;which has the kontakt-5 ERA and shtora-1.

What's annoying me is why BIS chose T90's armor to be even weaker than the M1A1 ??

I play warfare a lot and have seen T90 being disabled by various methods including the case where it's shot by stinger ...

Yep and I often get shot out of the commander seat by autocannons inside the T-90. But I really dont get why BIS did choose a obsolete model (2009) in a game with so much prototypes and on the other side a Kamov thats so arcade overpowered that you have to feel ashamed to use it at all. In CO this imbalance even got worse considering al the BAF, PMC prototypes and still nerfed second row Takistani stuff (T55, BTR60, Mi24D etc.)

Edited by Beagle

While flying around I see those black/dark ground mask - never seen them before on default A2OA islands/maps. Is there a possibility to make them somehow less visible and noticeable? Another ugly issue is still in A2OA: those big light-squares that appear on places where light (+ fire) hits on the ground/terrain. With NVG one can see those light-squares on the ground/terrain....

@NoRailgunner: Not sure what you mean with "those black/dark ground masks", but I had an issue earlier where TS3 would cause major problems in A2/OA if I enabled its "experimental DX9 overlay" feature, or something in that regard.

Status on beta program? Haven't happened much in a long time.

If you fly from S > N over water towards Chernarus the land is black/dark and switches to normal in close distance. That was not visible/noticable in earlier or stable builds.... didn't test if any of those FFAA/SMAA settings should make a difference. Guess is somekind of performance tweak but it looks bad. Think the other issue I mentioned will be hopefully solved with A3 new lightning? Another thing that maybe went unnoticed is that vehicles do have their dust of trail starting too early in front of them. Guess something more important is that AI should not use their binoculars if they are under fire or starting/within a battle.

Status on beta program? Haven't happened much in a long time.

Excellent question. I'm jonesin' for a new patch big time. I love the recent added features (driving, etc.), but there appear to be some introduced flaws related to infantry AT weapons that prevent me from using the recent betas.

According to at least one of the CITs there is a beta due out this week...

It was supposed to hit last week already, something fishy must be going on! :p

They obviously were upset at the response to their fix;

Problem : RPT gets spammed with error messages.

Fix : Remove error messages

:)

Just kidding BIS - I know you want to keep the messages in for beta reporting!

Perhaps the devs were at the recent demonstrations in Prague?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/21/czech-republic-prague-rally-protest?newsfeed=true

If I look closely at the pic, I think I see Suma and Maruk down there. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Problem : RPT gets spammed with error messages.

Fix : Remove error messages

That caught my eye as well, and kju's.