purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

About Iran using Israeli tanks. Iran at this very day have the capability of reverse engineering almost every foreign weapon or machinery they get their hands on, not excluding the UAV which they hacked while it was spying over their territory. I'm sure the Iranians won't lose any sleep over using Iranian-modified Israeli technology if it can help them in any way.

I'm just baffled at the idea that Iran can assimilate all this technology AND conquer the middle east into europe in only 18 years.

Well its fully fictional story with the three madman (Iran, China, Russia) seeking to rule the world through destruction and occupation other countries. One OPFOR does not simply operate smooth, smart and with caution!! OPFOR factions in games seem to act always less clever and more shortsighted.... wouldn't be fun for many players if they can't win every task/mission or if they have to change their thinking/tactics about the enemy. :P

I'm just baffled at the idea that Iran can assimilate all this technology AND conquer the middle east into europe in only 18 years.

Why do you start from the assumption that the present in ArmAverse is exactly what you see now looking out the window, on TV or on the interwebs?

It is a fictional/parallel world, where things might be a lot different...why some of you are stuck in what you know is beyond my comprehension. Use some imagination and creativity.

Is the story far fetched? Some might say so, but very few take into consideration the fact that the information about the game is still scarce, and that BIS doesn't really need justify their story through what we all know is happening around us (and i'm happy they haven't), just like the best books and movies (at least for me) are the ones that allow the reader/viewer to use his own imagination, without revealing or putting on the silver platter the entire context, but just pieces of it, connecting the dots being the task of each of us through his own subjective perspective...

Well, they're not really conquering the Middle East. They take over Turkey, an opportunistic move only because of natural disasters that hit Turkey. And they push into Greece, which has economic problems and unrest that probably doesn't go away in ArmA3's timeline. And, if they build up militarily in 20 years (which is entirely possible), then Iran could pull it off. Although, I think it'd make more sense and would be more understandable if within 15 years time Iran solidifies their power in the Middle East first. So, either they take over the entire Middle East or they gain allies in the Middle East, creating a strong anti-Western bloc (the more likely, believable, and interesting option). But I still don't see Iran viewing Turkey as a large threat than Saudi Arabia. They'd have to secure the Middle East before focusing on Europe, and I don't think they could do so without taking over Saudi Arabia (as I doubt Saudi Arabia would willingly ally with Iran). Only after securing power in the Middle East would they then focus on the ancient crossroads between East and West (Turkey). Turkey would be seen as the bridge between Europe and the Mid East, same as it is seen in ArmA3.

I sure hope to find a wrecked Greek F-16 Falcon on ground, that would be authentic ;)

So Sgt. Evan Illing commands the last active element of Operation Ice Shard, SHAPE’s attempt to gather intel about the Iranian weapons testing facilities in the European/Mediterranean Theatre, and General Ostad Javeed Attar is one of the chief officers of the Iranian military research and arms production and CEO of Red Pegasus Engineering.

Ostad must be assembling a prototype WMD on Lemnos. I'm going to pay Nikos Panagopoulos a visit, persuade him to tell me where to find Athene Kourou, persuade Athene to introduce me to Menelaos, convince Menelaos that he must order his resistance fighters to kill Georgios Akhanteros, Col. Vahid Namdar, Gen. Ostad Javeed Attar and a battalion sized Iranian force before they have time to complete building the WMD. I hope the CIA has been supplying the resistance with some quality weapons because I'm fixin' to open up a can of whoop-ass!

nice update on the intel by BIS...but it only makes me more anxious to play the A3 lol

Why do you start from the assumption that the present in ArmAverse is exactly what you see now looking out the window, on TV or on the interwebs?

It is a fictional/parallel world, where things might be a lot different...why some of you are stuck in what you know is beyond my comprehension. Use some imagination and creativity.

Is the story far fetched? Some might say so, but very few take into consideration the fact that the information about the game is still scarce, and that BIS doesn't really need justify their story through what we all know is happening around us (and i'm happy they haven't), just like the best books and movies (at least for me) are the ones that allow the reader/viewer to use his own imagination, without revealing or putting on the silver platter the entire context, but just pieces of it, connecting the dots being the task of each of us through his own subjective perspective...

No, your the one assuming what i'm assuming. My original assumption was that the story would be far fetched but fun.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Well, they're not really conquering the Middle East. They take over Turkey, an opportunistic move only because of natural disasters that hit Turkey. And they push into Greece, which has economic problems and unrest that probably doesn't go away in ArmA3's timeline. And, if they build up militarily in 20 years (which is entirely possible), then Iran could pull it off. Although, I think it'd make more sense and would be more understandable if within 15 years time Iran solidifies their power in the Middle East first. So, either they take over the entire Middle East or they gain allies in the Middle East, creating a strong anti-Western bloc (the more likely, believable, and interesting option). But I still don't see Iran viewing Turkey as a large threat than Saudi Arabia. They'd have to secure the Middle East before focusing on Europe, and I don't think they could do so without taking over Saudi Arabia (as I doubt Saudi Arabia would willingly ally with Iran). Only after securing power in the Middle East would they then focus on the ancient crossroads between East and West (Turkey). Turkey would be seen as the bridge between Europe and the Mid East, same as it is seen in ArmA3.

What would be more realistic is if an iranian nation armed with chinese equipment did it, considering the fact the US surrounds iran with military bases, it seems very unreasonable that they would waste there time assimilating technology when the best connection is that china invades the bases that surround iran and supplies iran for their invasion.

So it's easy for you to accept that in the armaverse there is a fictional war going on in a fictional place that is situated in a geographical location on planet earth... but you have trouble with other conditions elsewhere in this same armaversum, in a different geographical location, on the same planet earth, are also different.

In this armaverse there has been crazy invasions going on since 1982.

How many times now has the world been threatened by break-away factions or despots using nuclear devices, or trying to coerce full world wars? So if the world of the armaversum was just like the world of today, that wouldn't be authentic either.

It was already established in PMC that China was helping Takistan develop their WMD program. I would imagine that China is a key Ally and technological benefactor to the Farsi speaking world in the armaversum.

Edited by Max Power

So it's easy for you to accept that in the armaverse there is a fictional war going on in a fictional place that is situated in a geographical location on planet earth... but you have trouble with other conditions elsewhere in this same armaversum, in a different geographical location, on the same planet earth, are also different.

In this armaverse there has been crazy invasions going on since 1982.

How many times now has the world been threatened by break-away factions or despots using nuclear devices, or trying to coerce full world wars? So if the world of the armaversum was just like the world of today, that wouldn't be authentic either.

It was already established in PMC that China was helping Takistan develop their WMD program. I would imagine that China is a key Ally and technological benefactor to the Farsi speaking world in the armaversum.

Read my other posts, thanks...

I have and I'm not sure there's anything special about them. I wonder what you wish to point out that you think I have missed.

I have and I'm not sure there's anything special about them. I wonder what you wish to point out that you think I have missed.

I'm saying that I dont really care if the story is fictional or not, i'm just saying when it comes to the authenticity of the story its far fetched. I think it will still probably be fun. I think its funny that people are getting all heated up about it. I'm not here to start an argument. The arma stories have never been very authentic, even if they paralleled some things on accident.

No, your the one assuming what i'm assuming. My original assumption was that the story would be far fetched but fun.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

What would be more realistic is if an iranian nation armed with chinese equipment did it, considering the fact the US surrounds iran with military bases, it seems very unreasonable that they would waste there time assimilating technology when the best connection is that china invades the bases that surround iran and supplies iran for their invasion.

Well that's why I think it's important that Iran garners support from a multitude of Arab nations, solidifying a power bloc of sorts in the Middle East. Those nations all but kick the U.S. out, either diplomatically or militarily. I don't think China is the main aggressor/attacker here. China is kind of boosting Iran. China is maybe the puppeteer. Yeah, I think Iran should develop it's technology with Chinese knowledge, assistance, and funding though. But I don't think China would invade places for Iran. Iran would do the invading, and probably with help from its allies. I'm kinda with you, I don't think Iran would pull this off alone, and according to the ARG, Iran doesn't pull this off alone. Russia kinda helps, luring European nations away from NATO influence, weakening NATO. Chinese expansionism, weakening potential NATO allies. And I think Iran should bolster support in the Middle East, all but removing NATO influence from Iran's neighborhood. If Iran is going to expand, then they should at least have influence in the Mid East first. Have allies that they can count on.

Well, I'd expect Israel to NOT be invaded, and of course Israel hosts the talks that result in the Jerusalem Peace Accords of 2034. Not to mention NATO (especially the U.S.) wouldn't under any circumstances let Israel fall to Iran. Look at my last post in the ArmAverse fan fiction thread. I posted up my own take on the new ArmA3 Europe map (mine shows more, including Israel)

Interesting stuff, I also doubt the fact that Israel was invaded. But I find curious is that there are basically re-named Israeli equipment in the Iranian arsenal. Highly unlikely that Israel falls prey to Iran (we haz dem nukez) and it even more unlikely that we sold any kind of technology to Iran. My best guess is that Iran somehow managed to steal Israeli tank/IFV/weapon blueprints and replicate them. It seems abit far off since the technology that we have is beyond the reach of Iran for at least the next 10-15 years.

Also taking from the Jerusalem peace accords I believe that Israel is a neutral country, but this scenerio also questionable since we got peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan (who are probably under the protection/influence of the Arab league - which are more likely to be allies with Israel and NATO rather than Iran). If BIS didn't include Israel in the final plotline I would go nuts thinking of all the possible scenerios :P

Interesting stuff, I also doubt the fact that Israel was invaded. But I find curious is that there are basically re-named Israeli equipment in the Iranian arsenal. Highly unlikely that Israel falls prey to Iran (we haz dem nukez) and it even more unlikely that we sold any kind of technology to Iran. My best guess is that Iran somehow managed to steal Israeli tank/IFV/weapon blueprints and replicate them. It seems abit far off since the technology that we have is beyond the reach of Iran for at least the next 10-15 years.

Also taking from the Jerusalem peace accords I believe that Israel is a neutral country, but this scenerio also questionable since we got peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan (who are probably under the protection/influence of the Arab league - which are more likely to be allies with Israel and NATO rather than Iran). If BIS didn't include Israel in the final plotline I would go nuts thinking of all the possible scenerios :P

The thing is, a lot can happen in 22 years, if Iran starts to receive heavy funding from China or other countries and many NATO countries are falling on hard times, what is so far fetched about Israel and Iran striking a deal where Israel will sell off some military blueprints in exchange for Iran bypassing an invasion of Israel and abiding by Israel's neutrality. While Israel has nukes, i can see how a compromise could be made. No one wants to start a nuclear war, if Israel launched a warhead at Iran, they may as well launch a second one strait up in the air and back down on themselves. Because the way it sounds, Iran has gained a few strong friends by 2021 and these friends of Iran would almost definitely retaliate in Iran's defense. With NATO's ranks thinning, is it so far fetched for Israel to strike a deal so they can live to fight another day?

Besides, has BI actually said that Opfor is going to use the Merkava, APC, Weapons, MATV, or are they just showing us the types of camo patterns or weapons... etc, that will be used on Iranian/ Opfor vehicles without spoiling the actual vehicles and weapons they have in mind for Iran.

The thing is, a lot can happen in 22 years, if Iran starts to receive heavy funding from China or other countries and many NATO countries are falling on hard times, what is so far fetched about Israel and Iran striking a deal where Israel will sell off some military blueprints in exchange for Iran bypassing an invasion of Israel and abiding by Israel's neutrality. While Israel has nukes, i can see how a compromise could be made. No one wants to start a nuclear war, if Israel launched a warhead at Iran, they may as well launch a second one strait up in the air and back down on themselves. Because the way it sounds, Iran has gained a few strong friends by 2021 and these friends of Iran would almost definitely retaliate in Iran's defense. With NATO's ranks thinning, is it so far fetched for Israel to strike a deal so they can live to fight another day?

Besides, has BI actually said that Opfor is going to use the Merkava, APC, Weapons, MATV, or are they just showing us the types of camo patterns or weapons... etc, that will be used on Iranian/ Opfor vehicles without spoiling the actual vehicles and weapons they have in mind for Iran.

Yeah, but I personally like the idea of Iran stealing those. Plays into Iran and Israel's continued antagonism towards one another :). And, chances are, Iran is fighting a proxy war with Israel anyway. Nice avatar by the way.

I'm bothered by the M-ATV belonging to iranians,Oshkosh is a US based corporation unless iranians seized the HQ in the US and started pimping their army with M-ATV.I know Oshkosh has manufacturing plants in other countries but still is weird as hell.Iranians could had used the russian Gaz Tigr as their main all terrain vehicles or something more eastern like.Afterall if BI gave them that why not the whole thing Abrams,Black Hawks,Apaches.:j:

Also I could be wrong on this because BI didn't showed the whole equipment,but I truly hope NATO isn't using the Fennek as their "main jeep",ffs that is a scouting vehicle not your regular multipurpose vehicle.

I like the future setting and all that,I also understand that what belongs to who is still in works,but there is believable fiction and silly fiction.

I'm bothered by the M-ATV belonging to iranians,Oshkosh is a US based corporation unless iranians seized the HQ in the US and started pimping their army with M-ATV.I know Oshkosh has manufacturing plants in other countries but still is weird as hell.Iranians could had used the russian Gaz Tigr as their main all terrain vehicles or something more eastern like.Afterall if BI gave them that why not the whole thing Abrams,Black Hawks,Apaches.:j:

Also I could be wrong on this because BI didn't showed the whole equipment,but I truly hope NATO isn't using the Fennek as their "main jeep",ffs that is a scouting vehicle not your regular multipurpose vehicle.

I like the future setting and all that,I also understand that what belongs to who is still in works,but there is believable fiction and silly fiction.

Well is it an "Oshkosh" M-ATV? Hopefully it's a design that Iran copies (you know, much like how China copies just about everything US makes). Actually, Iran copies a lot of stuff too.

I have a feeling, don't know. Maybe in the Armaverse Tavors, Namers, and all israeli stuff was indeed created by Iran?

Afterall, it's the Armaverse, so we get to play with these toys without binding ourselfs to the real world.

This idea came to me after I started to wonder how the current and past wars would have been if the AR-18 was selected as the main service rifle in the US Armed Forces. So then I pratically created my own alternate reality, just like the Armaverse is, the BIS alternate reality.

Regarding the backstory plausibility, not so much the weapons,

This game is set 23 years from now. So alot can happen between now and then that can fit into a plotline to link our time to the armaverse 23 years from now. And hey, some games have come CLOSE-ISH to the future. Anyone remember wayyyy back to the very first Ghost Recon? Back in 2002 i think? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the plot to that game involve Russia steamrolling into Georgia in the year 2008? Now maybe the who thing about the bloc coming back together via bloody invasion and a complete regime overhaul and WW3 never happen, but, again, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Russian forces end up in Georgia in a shooting conflict in 2008? Another example to cite would be MW2's Moscow airport mission. Didn't something like that actually happen in real life not too far back? just my two cents on the whole plausible storyline topic.

As for weapons, and actual gameplay, I'm just glad I can still play as a regular enlisted ground pounder if I want. I'm just glad my virtual soldier isn't being issued a set of Clone Trooper armor, some sort of phaser laser gamma ray blaster rifle thing, a miniature lightsaber for aboyonet, and that im not fightng a coalition of cylons, aliens battledroids, commanded by Darth Vader and Skeletor.

BIS alternate realities can be only authentic with 100% true czech pivo! :D

I though it was Chzernarussian :p

As for weapons, and actual gameplay, I'm just glad I can still play as a regular enlisted ground pounder if I want. I'm just glad my virtual soldier isn't being issued a set of Clone Trooper armor, some sort of phaser laser gamma ray blaster rifle thing, a miniature lightsaber for aboyonet, and that im not fightng a coalition of cylons, aliens battledroids, commanded by Darth Vader and Skeletor.

Man if those cylons will have Caprica 6 all I'll say is "Where the hell do I sign???"

Besides don't blast Skeletor or Vader,200 years from now people will say that those savages from 2000-2050 used crude devices with bullets and other projectiles.:cylon:

The Mi-48 is still an abomination, especially considering that the "real life" image is just an Mi-28... I'm all for an updated Hind of some description or another (the Super Hind Mk.V would be a better fit) just not one that comprises of two different companies work into one odd looking conglomerate. Other than the Mi-48 however everything is as was expected.