jedra

Jedra's Weapon Indicator

Let me ask a little queston. Why people dont like in game "radar/RWR", but they like to have GUI showing weapon selection for the pilot? Real hind does not have any visual indication of currently selected weapon to the pilot as gunner operates those. In game, if pilot wants gunner to use perticular weapon, he can use "F" key and he gets radio feedback about what weapon was selected. The only thing I can imagine that can be improved is that also at the moment when AI gunner selects weapon, he will inform pilot/player with the same radio call too.

My gripe is with the littlebird for example.

You can't tell which firing mode (2000/4000rpm) is selected and if it wasn't for the dot "crosshair" I couldn't even tell if I'll be firing guns or rockets. I doubt the real littlebird has an ammo gauge tho, but I guess the hind has one.

Also, IRL you could say "engage with guns". In ArmA you'd have to change weapons to get a feedback and if you haven't memorized the sequence, it could become very frantic to get to the right weapon system in combat :)

Let me ask a little queston. Why people dont like in game "radar/RWR", but they like to have GUI showing weapon selection for the pilot? Real hind does not have any visual indication of currently selected weapon to the pilot as gunner operates those. In game, if pilot wants gunner to use perticular weapon, he can use "F" key and he gets radio feedback about what weapon was selected. The only thing I can imagine that can be improved is that also at the moment when AI gunner selects weapon, he will inform pilot/player with the same radio call too.

Hi,

My 'no-radar' mod was a quick and easy thing I did because a couple of people asked for it. I don't use it myself! Of course the realism guys want the proper threat indicator to work - that's beyond my current skills!

As for the weapon indicator. Yes, when you are a piliot and the gunner has the weapons there is a audible notice and chat entry that tells you which weapon is selected. However, when you are a pilot and select 'Manual Fire' there is no audible notice or chat entry when you change weapons.

For me, I found that I just needed a little indication of what weapon I or the gunner currently had selected. I am not a realism junkie, it just makes life a bit easier without having to resort to the full on HUD, dials and all!

As you say, in real life, it's the gunner that controls weaponry, but as there is a compromise in ToH (and Arma) to allow the pilot to fire weapons I guess it makes sense to show the weapons (even when 'unrealistic') as part of that same compromise.

Of course what you should do for total realism is not let pilots fire weapons unless they can in real life - but that would be counter productive to the 'game' aspect. Maybe I will write a 'no manual fire' mod for those who wish for total realism ;-)

The only thing I can imagine that can be improved is that also at the moment when AI gunner selects weapon, he will inform pilot/player with the same radio call too.

Agree but he is so quiet in this time now so please to do it in 1.06 :) and all functions of Bierioza.

Let me ask a little queston. Why people dont like in game "radar/RWR", but they like to have GUI showing weapon selection for the pilot?

No, I dont think so. In expert mode - the best way no any cartoon radar, selected info about weapon ect. Do it with more realism. But in real - the weapon isnt in only one "key" in the cocpit. Here only one key for all weapons - so pilot or AI gunner must talks about selected weapon. If You take manual mode You dont now about which weapon is selected, right? next thing about realism -why only gunner or (not and) pilot can use the weapon in too same time? In real Hind pilot can use ungided rockets and in too same time gunner can shot by JakB for expample or missiles.

Btw.

Jedra did You test this new version of Your indcator in SP mission? It doesnt work, only in free fly and multi.

Edited by _YoYo_

It should work in SP - I built it in SP and then tested for MP. I'll double check now but I was playing for a good few hours yesterday with it!

Yes - just checked - it works in all single player modes where you have weapons (didn't test the campaign). You would need to restart any SP Challenge - it would not work if you continued a challenge from a time when you had the previous version of this addon installed.

Edited by Jedra

I'm fine with the RWR funktionality of the radar, what I don't like about it is that I'm instandly aware of the position of enemy forces. I would be more happy with a vague position so I have to actually acquire the precise position of the forces like it is with infantry units right know. I usually only use the rockets in manual mode for everything else I order my gunner around. Are the rockets really only controlled by the gunner? It seems to me that it would be much more efficient if the pilot is in control of unguided rockets and the gunner handles missiles and guns.

Edited by Derbysieger

Are the rockets really only controlled by the gunner? It seems to me that it would be much more efficient if the pilot is in control of unguided rockets and the gunner handles missiles and guns.

The gunner possibly guides the heli while using the rockets with the controls in the gunner's cockpit, or more likely the pilot does it in RL otherwise there would be no point to the sight in the main cockpit.

Hey Jedra mate, noticed you put "until you have informed Modsaholic" lol so whats up? ive not had any word, some problems mate?

Dark

Hey Dark - I completely forgot to let you know once I got confirmation that it was working in all modes.

If you could update the modsaholic link then that would be great and I will update the first post!

Thanks for the reminder ;-)

Thanks SB - First post updated!

Ups. My faul. I have two "old" version in different place.

Now is ok - perfect for now! Thank You!

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3442/tokhhinds17mod.jpg

_YoYo_

When you post images you must link to their URLs if they are over 100 KB.

+1 warning for too large images.

§15) Do not hotlink images over 100kb (102400 bytes) in size

Do not link images over 100kb using the IMG tags to display an image in your post. If you wish to post an image larger then 100 kb feel free to post the URL instead of hotlinking.