Sign in to follow this  
friendlyfyre

Targeting in tanks

Hi there.

Can anyone tell me what is going on with commanding tanks in this game? The whole thing seems to be an utter mess but I specifically am going mad trying to target and destroy enemy tanks.

A good example is the OA steel panther mission, or the BAF mission where you have to fetch the UN vehicles with a single little APC taking on T72s, T55s etc.

Time and time again, I will spot enemy armour through the thermal scope a kilometer or so away, right click and hold, nothing happens, right click maniacally, nothing happens. Press 2 for a list of targets, tank isn't there. Hit tab while my middle finger bruises. Usually by now the crew and I have been murdered.

Is there a workaround for this? Or a mod which fixes it? Or do you guys change your controls in some way to make it a bit more fluid? How do people cope with tank combat generally? Is there a guide, pdf or thread out there about commanding tanks? I don't mean the basics because I already know those, and I don't mean real world tactics, but working with the interface effectively.

I'm not really a newb, I've been putting up with it for years, but only now trying to do something about it.

Thanks for any replies.

command aquire target: tab

command change gunner weapon: ctrl+F

command gunner fire at target: ctrl+left mouse

I guess the problem you are describing is that the AI doesn't necessarily see things the same way you do, especially in the thermal sights. You seem to have a huge advantage over them when using thermals. So, when you're telling them to target and fire, and they're not locking up, it's because they can't see what you're talking about. In fact, your 'character' can't even see what you're talking about if the target doesn't show up on the list.

Thanks Beagle. I do already use those controls. I find them pretty cumbersome but I can live with that, I'm not sure I could come up with a better system. I've never played a proper tank sim.

Max, I think you've pretty well described the problem. I don't mind if I have to spot things for the ai. But it is literally impossible in many situations. If the whole vehicle profile is visible then I can usually 'spot' and target the enemy vehicle. But if they have any sort of partial visual cover, then nothing happens. I don't want to hop into the gunners seat to deal with it. I want to be a tank commander.

Does this mean its a bug?

And to confirm, do I look at and hold the right mouse button to spot the enemy?

Thanks Beagle, I do use those controls. I find them very cumbersome, but I can live with them. I don't know if I could think of a better system. Not off the top of my head anyway.

Max Power I think your description sounds very much like the problem. I try to spot the target so my 'character' will make the ai gunner aware, but in many cases it is impossible. Any sort of visual cover seems to cause this, such as trees buildings or a hill that obstructs the enemy tank's hull. In clear view it is not such a problem.

In the case of a hill I thought maybe it is because the gunners POV sits lower than mine but I should be able to at least spot it for him. It happens in other cases though where the gunner would be able to see pretty easily if he was a human using thermals.

Is this a bug then?

@ FriendlyFire

You can easily customize the controls in any way in the option menu...I use 2 joystick buttons for command targets and command fire...alows for rapid target switching and fire at an arcade rate.

Do you reveal the targets? (by default RMB - my advice put it to another key like LWIN)

To all - Thanks for the tips. I will certainly try to remap the controls and try this voice command thing out. Commanding tanks with a joystick sound pretty crazy on paper though. These were the sort of tips I was looking for.

PVP Scene - Yes I reveal the targets and use the RMB. I was calling it 'spotting'. This is the part that doesn't work too well imo. Imo there is something wrong with the philosophy that you can't reveal a target unless the ai in your head can also see it. Or it is a bug.

To all - Thanks for the tips. I will certainly try to remap the controls and try this voice command thing out. Commanding tanks with a joystick sound pretty crazy on paper though. These were the sort of tips I was looking for.

PVP Scene - Yes I reveal the targets and use the RMB. I was calling it 'spotting'. This is the part that doesn't work too well imo. Imo there is something wrong with the philosophy that you can't reveal a target unless the ai in your head can also see it. Or it is a bug.

I believe there is a bug with the reveal system. For me it does not seem to work as well as it did in Operation Flashpoint (cant remember what it was like in Arma1).

With Arma2 and OA I find (as PVPScene mentions) it is more effective if you assign "Reveal Target" to a separate key than RMB (it's useful on that button but it doesn't always work for some reason).

Another major problem with it I have noticed is that it is really hit and miss if you are not the squad leader. If your are a squaddie, some times the reveal option seems to do nothing. Occasionally it seems to work ( eg report a soldier you have spotted in clear view)

Another area of Reveal that is hit and miss is revealing killed targets. Again, squad position seems to have an effect. I also think it may be a time out problem, eg unless you "Reveal Target" on a dead unit within a very short time period after killing it, you can't report "One Less". Some times it seems to last indefinitely (mostly I find this when I am a vehicle gunner).

Those last couple of things arnt really related to commanding a tank, but useful to know any way.

As far as getting the AI to spot and engage targets while commanding a tank; holding the space bar while issuing RMB commands can help.