Sign in to follow this  
kylania

Take On: Hinds!

My video! I'm glad that it's not forgotten ... yet. :)

Well I was thinking that I should make a "remastered" version of that free flight - With ToH Hind, proper taxiing included and in Chernarus of course. The asian area is sure large, but a little too empty for me for using it in a new remastered video of free flight. Unfortunately I'm also still waiting for a Steam release.

Yeah, the hinds should be able to fly in Seattle AFAIK.

Edited by SmukY

Don't sweat it guys. It took me a few months to feel good in DCS: Black Shark. Flying a heli is like trying to tame a bucking bronco. And I'm guessing their's no helpful autopilot in the Hind like there is in the Shark. I fell out of the sky on the first few tries.

I wish some of you people who bought it would record some ingame video though. For those of us still deciding whether we want to buy or not. Especially for the DCS crowd who is really on the fence. I'd love to lure some of them over to Arma. Shark is great, but DCS has nothing but flat terrain and little in the way of AI. Arma beats them hands down on that.

Well as someone who is really in love with ToH, AND as someone who has played DCS: Black Shark and A10 since their respective releases, let me recommend you give Hind a pass. The cockpit is very low quality with textures set to Normal. Flying it is fun enough. It would seem that the developers have heard the complaints about "not enough" anti-torque" needed on recent updates and said, "you want to use your feet? Well here ya' go!" Seems excessive to me but if you use plenty of force trim every few seconds as we know the Russians do, then its not a problem. The gunner doesn't talk. He's just basically carrying out your trigger commands vicariously. So flying with him is a bit dull. Anyway, if they would just give the cockpit some TLC (and colminate the recticle as mentioned above), it would be worth the buy.

Edited by Ericinexile

i have no single player challenges ??? only time trials whys is that ? but yeah from what i see from flying the hind its not that exciting and the peddle controls on torque and rudder is way over the top.

I bought Hinds and I'm DISAPOINTED with it!

- The singleplayer "challenges" are really ridiculous - In some of these "challenges"/scenarios such as Patrol you have to destroy something like 8 to 9 tanks (most of them T-72s) when only armed with 4 Antitank missiles (which of course is realistic)! OH and the enemy forces are supposed to be "insurgents", yeah right insurgents equiped with T-72s, yeah right!! These challenges should have either 4 tanks maximum or as an alternative, the enemy force in case being insurgents should be equiped with pickups/technicals and Trucks with ZU-23 and mostly based on infantry even because and afterall the Mi-24 is better than more oriented to anti-infantry combat than anti-tank combat! Resuming the enemy forces in these "challenges" should be consisted by infantry instead of tanks or at least more infantry and less tanks!

- Don't get why in Take on Helicopters we have SO FEW units (infantry and associated weapons, vehicles, etc...) and SO INCOMPLETE like for example American soldiers without weapons or RPG soldiers without RPGs, etc... I don't get why ALL UNITS of ARMA2 (or at least most of them) aren't included in Take on Helicopters (specially soldiers, ground vehicles, weapons, resuming "targets")!

- The flight model is weard and the helicopter is so unstable which doesn't seem be the case for a heavy helicopter such as the Hind!

- I wish there was a career with the Hind (preferably Co-Op playable).

- No Co-Op missions with the Hind is also a HUGE disapointment!

- NO collimated sight is also a HUGE disapointment!

- CANNOT change weapons when "manual fire" is selected!!

- One of the things advertised in Hind was an improved targetting system but there's nothing new compared to ArmA2/CO (at least compared to the latest Betas of ArmA2/CO)!

I basically wish there was a way to get a refund on this one (purchased it on Gamersgate)!

i try answer some of the questions

all the content from A2/OA for one price is unrealistic, also do you realize the game would be not 18GB but 36GB at minimum?

i can assure You we had real Hind pilot(s) testing the Hind's FDM and they said it's best seen in game and from majority close to real thing ...

You might need fiddle with control settings

bugs will be fixed in updates, features added if possible

read the changelog, what's merged from OA mentioned

in fact TOH 1.05 has some fixes even OA betas don't (e.g. FXAA/SMAA ones)

If the reticle is collimated we would have already have proper reflex sights in ARMA 2 already:(

Edited by 4 IN 1

Actually it is already. zGuba has modified the hind and added real HUD thingy in hinds, but said that he can't release anything, not until BIS releases offical MLOD pack for ArmA 2 which includes hinds too.

And If that HUD will be not fixed in I'll have to really reconsider about even buying the ToH Hinds.

Well to be honest those cockpits are same as arma 2 ones ... /of course not the superhind one/

and that sight should been collimated looong time ago :/

btw i know it's offtopic but i liked to see those promised arma 2 mlods ..

* CANNOT change weapons when "manual fire" is selected!!

* One of the things advertised in Hind was an improved targetting system but there's nothing new compared to ArmA2/CO

Weapons are changed by default with "F" key like in arma. Is it possible that you also flew "unarmed" variant, that has only main gun.

From the view of the pilot the AI gunner targeting is simillar to arma. Most of the "improved targeting" system is noticable if you play as a gunner in versions that have a gun turret. Try the MP deathmatch mission.

Morning BIS team, enjoying it so far. :)

One question is where are those lovely CZ superhinds in the editor? I can only find the international and PMC variants in both Empty and in the factions.

Second question, will there be a template for the texture released like you did for the other three helis?

One question is where are those lovely CZ superhinds in the editor? I can only find the international and PMC variants in both Empty and in the factions.

The Czech SuperHinds are set to scope protected, so you can createVehicle them:

• SuperHind_112_0_H_DLC1
  • SuperHind_119_0_H_DLC1
  • SuperHind_126_0_H_DLC1
  • SuperHind_133_0_H_DLC1

Second question, will there be a template for the texture released like you did for the other three helis?

Good suggestion, and it should possible to release in a next version of the samples package!

Aren't the huds (in airplanes at least) colimated already in A2 ? Maybe my memory is betraying me, but I'm pretty sure at some point I flew in the Su25, and moving your head or and taking sharp turns (hence making your POV drift as you move in your seat) would make the reticle follow as well...

The Czech SuperHinds are set to scope protected, so you can createVehicle them:

• SuperHind_112_0_H_DLC1
  • SuperHind_119_0_H_DLC1
  • SuperHind_126_0_H_DLC1
  • SuperHind_133_0_H_DLC1

Good suggestion, and it should possible to release in a next version of the samples package!

Excellent, cheers.

Aren't the huds (in airplanes at least) colimated already in A2 ? Maybe my memory is betraying me, but I'm pretty sure at some point I flew in the Su25, and moving your head or and taking sharp turns (hence making your POV drift as you move in your seat) would make the reticle follow as well...

arma 2 hind no ,but all planes which have HUDs are colimated

Excellent! I would like to add to my fleet of Taxis. These should cut through the traffic nicely with their modern 'traffic avoidance/elimination systems'!

Excellent! I would like to add to my fleet of Taxis. These should cut through the traffic nicely with their modern 'traffic avoidance/elimination systems'!

Muahaha ;)

Added the following known installer cautions:

Also make sure ... :icon_exclaim:

• ... you have Take On Helicopters properly installed, and not renamed or moved!
  • ... you did not rename the TakeOnH.exe (e.g. for 3D driver compatibility)!

Edited by DnA

hey now this is fun! so much destructive capability!

hey now this is fun! so much destructive capability!

Unfortunatly in my case destruction means a lot of written off Hinds lying around the desert and enemy tank crews pointing and laughing.

Note to self, must get some skillz.

Unfortunatly in my case destruction means a lot of written off Hinds lying around the desert and enemy tank crews pointing and laughing.

Note to self, must get some skillz.

QFT, Hinds are a little bit bigger than the MD500 heli ;)

I have to say that I agree with "ricnunes". I saw only 4 SP Missions... And after 1 Hour I played them all.

Also I dont find it realistic to fight against t72 insurgents platoons.

Im a DCS Pilot and maybe a bit "High Standart" when it comes to HeliSim, but If you mastered the Hinds controls, flying Hinds in ArmA is much more fun.

TOH is not a Military Heli Sim, also not a real "Simulation" more a Semi-Sim cause many things you can do in Real arent possbile in here.

But with Hinds I was expecting something like "Military-Feeling", wich it isnt since there is to less content and no real "Im a Combat Pilot" feeling.

I preordered as soon i heard this will come out, and always buy BIS stuff at sprocket so I can support them as much as possible, but If I knew what stuff will really be inside I wouldnt bought it.

sry bad english

;2120603']I have to say that I agree with "ricnunes". I saw only 4 SP Missions... And after 1 Hour I played them all.

Nice, how much time took you to play the 3 SP missions so you have experienced all its generic variants ? Because those missions ARE GENERIC. Each time you play one of the 3 types (the fourth mission is just random selection from those 3), the route, Hind armament+skin, and targets are generated different.

I confirm that sometimes the generator offers a lot of tanks, which might be a challenge in case you have just some P version of Hind with S13 rockets. We will tweek the settings for each mission type.

11 quid, money well spent I though.

The Insurgents are probably left overs from the Takistan regime (Iraq based regime in the ARMAverse) so a lot of T-72s are to be expected.

I am sure someone will start making some nice missions now too as we have a lot of national versions of the Hinds in the DLC, including Iraq and the fictional Takistan.

Don't know if you have actually scrolled through the very large list of available Hinds, last time I seen a list of aircraft that long was [GLT]Mike's F16 Addon for A2.

I confirm that sometimes the generator offers a lot of tanks, which might be a challenge in case you have just some P version of Hind with S13 rockets. We will tweek the settings for each mission type.

I notice that this time the missions are locked away in a protected pbo. I learnt a lot about building Time Trials and Procedural missions from the base install of Take On Helicopters - it would be nice to be able to see how you put together these missions for Hinds.

I notice from the configs that the challenges are not procedural in the same way as those in base ToH and there are no new functions declared for the specific mission. So I can only assume you have done it with the editor/scripting the traditional way? So it would be nice if you could 'unlock' missions_h_dlc for the next patch, or provide an example mission. You have your reasons for locking them up and I am not trying to start a discussion on that. I guess it all stems from my childhood - when someone gave me a new toy, the first thing I did was take it apart to see how it works ;-)

Like I did with the Time Trials and Taxi missions, I would like to put out some content for Hinds at some point and seeing how you guys did it is always a good starting point!

I have to say that the tanks are just an overkill for me, i don't know why the russians had to build Tunguskas and Shilkas when they had these 12.7 mm Dshk on their tanks xD