Sign in to follow this  
matrixismyname

Hardware Specs

Can someone tell me what specs do I need to run a dedicated 24 slots ArmA 2 OA server?

This would be a dedicated machine with a 100mbit connection, I just want to know what CPU and RAM I need.

Or tell me how many slots do you run on what machine so I can make an ideea.

THANKS !

Depends on the missions u will be playing as well CRCTI/Warfare/Coop/TDM/CTF/DM/etc....

From my tests so far with CRCTI I been using Quad Core Xeon 3ghz 4gb (have 8gb and 16gb but makes no dif it seems....)

Upgrading to Dual Quad Xeon 3.16ghz atm since we found ways to stuff the Quad Core 3ghz system with CRCTI (even when O/C to 3.8ghz)

with or without AI slots

WITH AI we run 18 or 24 Slots with Groupsize 12 so 288 Total Ai/Players thats not counting the possible 960-120 Other AI atm best way to get tons of AI? Fly a plane around and spawn 54 Towns at start of game... congrats server LAG

So I'm about to buy a dual core 1.86Ghz (L5320) 2gb ram VPS.

Is that enough for 15-20 people?

Our dear game seems to benefit on speed rather than multiple cores, but I would guess your system will bee too slow. You should go for at least CPU around 3 GHz, and 4 Gigs of RAM (depends on OS of course, only 3 on 32 bit OS).

How about 1 core of i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz ? I can't belive that I need that much power for a freaking 20 slots.

How about 1 core of i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz ? I can't belive that I need that much power for a freaking 20 slots.

Power is required if you run any kind of COOP mission with lots of AI. Domination is not that demanding mission there are a lot heavier missions out there.

Thats a nice CPU but with one core you might have performance issues cause it will have constant 100% load. Two cores @3Ghz might work for what you need, but only one no.

Someone on this forum said that he managed to get a server with 30 slots (coop) on a AMD 3800+ 2.4ghz single core,and 1GB of ram. So i'm thinking that I need a 30% smaller server on a 70% more powerfull CPU will be more than OK.

He lied, the OS if Linux, can be configured down to 128MB or less. If its Winders NT-5 (Win2K), can be configured down to 128MB, but Winders NT-6 (Server2K8) and newer will eat more than 128MB. The ArmA2 / OA dedicated server can use as much as 1.2GB of ram, all by itself. A Coop with 30 clients, on 1GB of ram, is not possible.

...Syn...

Edited by VisceralSyn
Dang gumbed typos....

I'll use CentOS 5 on the machine when I buy it. And btw I don't want to host 30 clients, I want 15-20.

We are planning a 10 slot Server for a small clan. Mostly Coop (Acre and Ace) and TFor. We where planing a Athlon 64 3Ghz System with Virtual Box but reading the last posts I'm getting a little scared.

Any hints?

Hi I am new to this game and my specs are good enough to play the game but I am having some problems when i try and open the game I get the following error message "the program can't start because XINPUT1_3.DLL IS MISSING" I have tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the latest version of directx11. Can anyone help ? Sorry if i have posted on the wrong thread but like I said I am new to this forum and game.

Update DirectX.

Note: The latest version of DirectX should be installed no matter if you're running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. The installation may include DirectX 11, DirectX 10, and DirectX 9 files, but they run side-by-side without problem on all of these operating systems.

With Linux, I'll add, you want 2 or more cores, and at least 1.5GB of ram. Once you see that 1 thread lock up 1 core at 100%, thats just AI, for some of the more heavy to heavily scripted missions( Warfare, or crazy scripted COOP's ). You'll then see why I recommend 2 Cores, at the least. If you do go with older technology, you'll want it faster than 3Ghz. Otherwise any 2 core or more cpu, at 3Ghz or as close as you can get it to that speed.

...Syn...

Building/buying a new server as cheap as possible will only give you a system "almost good enough", mainly a low-end server which you'll regret while playing. An alternative is to pay ebay a visit, there is loads of second hand servers on sale, and I mean real servers. Search HP or Dell servers, those beast are built to last. You'll get a complete system fully capable running OA server for 150$, with Xeon CPUs, SCSI/SAS drives and loads of fans (with equal noise)...

We are planning a 10 slot Server for a small clan. Mostly Coop (Acre and Ace) and TFor. We where planing a Athlon 64 3Ghz System with Virtual Box but reading the last posts I'm getting a little scared.

Any hints?

That's exactly what I want, or atleast close enough (double the slots). I really doubt that it will need that much power (what the guys are saying) for 10-20 slots.

I intend to host it on a 1gb ram and one i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz core.

With Linux, I'll add, you want 2 or more cores, and at least 1.5GB of ram. Once you see that 1 thread lock up 1 core at 100%, thats just AI, for some of the more heavy to heavily scripted missions( Warfare, or crazy scripted COOP's ). You'll then see why I recommend 2 Cores, at the least. If you do go with older technology, you'll want it faster than 3Ghz. Otherwise any 2 core or more cpu, at 3Ghz or as close as you can get it to that speed.

...Syn...

Are you seriously saying that Linux eats more resources than Windows? You misunderstood me, I don't want to play crazy scripted coops or warfare, just clan missions/tvt (up to 20 slots). Are you seriously saying that I need a dual core and 2gigs of ram just for that tiny cr*p ?

Building/buying a new server as cheap as possible will only give you a system "almost good enough", mainly a low-end server which you'll regret while playing. An alternative is to pay ebay a visit, there is loads of second hand servers on sale, and I mean real servers. Search HP or Dell servers, those beast are built to last. You'll get a complete system fully capable running OA server for 150$, with Xeon CPUs, SCSI/SAS drives and loads of fans (with equal noise)...

Overlord, I just don't have the budget for that. Besides the initial 150$, it costs the dedicated network line (over here, Romania, it's around ~15$/month for 100mbit lin

Guys, Overlord,VisceralSyn does any one of you guys really have a server? Or speaking just from fairytales?

Are you seriously saying that Linux eats more resources than Windows? You misunderstood me, I don't want to play crazy scripted coops or warfare, just clan missions/tvt (up to 20 slots). Are you seriously saying that I need a dual core and 2gigs of ram just for that tiny cr*p ?

Since you can't seem to read, i posted Linux can be configured to use 128MB or less. I have seen the ArmA2, and the ArmA2 OA servers get up to 1.2GB, go ahead and run 1GB of ram. And yes, I do run my own server on a Wolfdale Xeon @ 3.0Ghz, but since you think shit is a fairytale, I just won't help you fuktards anymore.

...Syn...

Edited by VisceralSyn
Dang gumbed typos....

Guys, Overlord,VisceralSyn does any one of you guys really have a server? Or speaking just from fairytales?

Think my sig is a joke? Poweredge, 2x dual Xeon, 8G RAM, around 300G SCSI HD among others. Good enough for me and the guys I play with.

I5 2300 @2,8-3,1Ghz quad, 16gb ram, 2x1tb HDD, 100Mbit line. Hosted in data center.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Ok guys, chill out. So even for a small server (15-20 slots) you need atleast a dual core and 2 gigs of ram, RIGHT?

RAM is almost "free" today, why be cheap on that? If you run 32 bit OS, go for 3 gig; on 64 bit: whatever you can afford.

A "playable" minimum would be dual-core 2-3GHz with 4 G RAM. Depending on your network connection (and missions) it will run 10-15 players pretty well, I guess.