Sign in to follow this  
Sylle

Repaint for Light helicopter...

After the tips found in THIS topic and inspired by the fabulous screenshots of the upcoming MD600 for Xplane and FSX, I decided to start my first TOH repaint. :yay:

For the time being it simply overwrites the default 'Digital' livery.

I would like to add it under its own name at a later stage while keeping all the default BIS liveries.

Still a LOT to do/align/check/discover... consider it more like a proof of concept right now. :D

takeonh2011120616555272.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Cheers,

Sylvain

PS: Any chance BIS could provide us with a simple BLANK texture file (all white livery) in the future for the three different models?

I couldn't find one in the pbo's (although you can create a completely white heli with the custom color picker in game) so I created one myself but it took quite some time...

EDIT: Liveries can be found for download in this post.

Edited by Sylle
Added download link

nice work on your repaint/proof of concept. :cool:

I added the modified BIS logo art to the picture in my sig, but I wish one of the available helicopters in game had something more BIS-ish ;)

Unfortunately, the textures repeat the left side on the right side, so you cannot put txt/logo on them unless the letters/logo look the same both forward and backwards.

that md 600 is mad as !!!

if only we could have stuff like that in this sim

nice on the repaint as well ,i was going to do some my self but there is far to much rooting around and i dont have any time

but can someone make a red bull repaint for the md please ??

Thank you guys! :)

Text is rather difficult indeed because as b101_uk already pointed out there is no different texture for left or right side (the textures are simply mirrored)

nice on the repaint as well ,i was going to do some my self but there is far to much rooting around and i dont have any time

but can someone make a red bull repaint for the md please ??

You mean something like this?? :D

takeonh2011121222462853.jpg

Still a lot of stuff to fine-tune here too...

Cheers,

Sylvain

my dreams have come true ,great job

Thanks again lads!

I have been fiddling around a bit further with the brushes tonight...

The stripes of the Eagle livery have been aligned a lot better on the vertical fin, I changed the blue of the Redbull livery into something more striking and painted some parts that were not yet in the correct color.

Looking around on the net searching for info about helicopters used for law enforcement around Seattle I stumbled upon THIS OH-6 in service with Snohomish County, called Snohawk.

And here is how it looks in TOH after going through the virtual paint hangar...

takeonh2011122120030835.jpg

takeonh2011122120032506.jpg

Unfortunately, Taylor's landing, home of this beauty, falls just outside the Seattle map of TOH. Maybe it will be added one day... who knows??

No registration markings nor SHERIFF titles below the rotor as they would be simply mirrored on the right side. Same thing happens with the Sheriff star but it's not as obvious unless you're standing very close.

Next step... digging into these config.bin files to find out exactly how I can share these repaints with the community.

Regards,

Sylvain

i think its like this for new skins for TOH

class CfgPatches

{

class sylle_skins

{

units[] =

{

};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.10;

requiredAddons[] = {"HSim_Air_US_H_Helicopters_Light"};

};

};

class cfgvehicles

{

class Heli_Light01_H;

class Heli_Light01_Vrana_H : Heli_Light01_H

{

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\HSim\Air_US_H\Helicopters_Light\Data\skins\Heli_light01_ext_vrana_co.paa"};

};

class sylle_Light01_sherrif: Heli_Light01_Vrana_H

{

displayName = "sherrif chopper";

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\HSim\Air_US_H\Helicopters_Light\Data\skins\Heli_light01_ext_vrana_co.paa"};

};

};

change path here in class sylle_Light01_sherrif to your skin

put in folder of sylle_skins and binarise

With some extra help of Thomp (Thanks!) I managed to get one of my repaints in the game under its own name.

One step closer to release ;)

Now I need your opinion guys...

Would you prefer that the repaints appear in-game:

- under a completely separate class

E.g. Snohawk (SC_skins)

OR

- would you prefer that I mimic the name structure of BIS?

E.g. Light (Snohawk) (Emergency Services)

The first naming makes it obvious it's an add-on repaint but this could get messy when we start adding some more...

The second naming makes it very structured but could maybe(??) lead to confusion for mission builders for example (could forget to add the skin in the required files as its less obvious it's a community repaint)

What do the experienced Arma guys think about this?

Regards,

Sylvain

Slightly off topic, but you can change textures in a mission, using the setObjectTexture command if required.

Good when trying to add quick variety to a mission, or even testing design ideas. It requires the objects have a hiddenSelections reference in it's config. Which the default helicopters all do.

You could even setup a gta style paint hanger to change paint jobs within a mission too :pet3:

Some very quick examples of some paa files used with the command.

setobjecttexture.jpg

Edited by blakeace

i would prefer the default structure

that way they wouldn't be as confusing when we have more addon helicopters

Hi Blakeace,

I read about the setObjectTexture command in another post indeed.

I never thought about using it in GTA style but that would be a very original use of the command I guess... :D

Only problem is that the method you described is only available by making your own missions.

Creating a separate pbo allows players to use the skin in free fight and select it in the editor via the drop-down menus which is why I'm trying to go that way.

Thanks for the feedback!

@ Zentaos: Thanks to you too...

Regards,

Sylvain

Hey Sylle how could I fly with your Red bull skin please? :cool:

hon0,

Sure! Glad you like it!

I just need to figure out where to upload it... I don't know what the Arma community normally does...

I was thinking about putting it up at avsim.com which is well-known by all the flightsim enthousiasts and would likely attract the attention of bigger crowd compared to just posting a mediafire link here on the forum.

It would also keep all my repaints together :)

What do you guys think?

Sylvain

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Another preview... :D

Line-up at King County

takeonh2012010610250716.jpg

N54528

takeonh2012010610254852.jpg

Redbull livery and N16062

takeonh2012010610252116.jpg

And on request of our friend Hon0 while I search out where to upload these babies...

Redbull livery download:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2096740&postcount=29

- Extract .zip in location of your choice

- Cut and paste the @SC_skins folder in your main ToH folder

- Start ToH with @SC_skins command in shortcut

- Make sure you post some screenies for us to enjoy :p

Regards,

Sylvain

Edited by Sylle
Changed Redbull download link

Awesome ! Now I need to learn use camera to make some sweet movie !

Could be nice to put some gopr0 cam on the chopper and.. Take the best at the end !

Thanks !

Lovely (paint)job! ;) I'll try to do something similiar for the military MH-6 variant that can be used for touristic offer in A2 =)

Would it be possible than someone who have the skill modelise a HD HERO2 Motorsports Edition.

So we could place it on us chopper to mimic a script camera :cool:

It would be verry appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Antoine

I can pilot but not yet create my own bird or.. ;)

Hey man your skins are pretty awesome, but I don't know why, I can't acces ingame steam (steam version of TOH) after I enabled your redbull skin:confused:

Hey man your skins are pretty awesome, but I don't know why, I can't acces ingame steam (steam version of TOH) after I enabled your redbull skin:confused:

Hello Raxlly,

That's strange :confused:

Did you manage to install other addons succesfully before? (Arma 2 terrains, mission made by the community members like Thromp or Jedra)

I don't have the steam version but installing these skins should be no different than installing any other addon...

Some Steam users here having an idea what the issue could be?

Cheers,

Sylvain