Sign in to follow this  
dikkeduif

music in arma

To be fair, it kind of fits with Syndicate. I can't see it fitting with ArmA though. I'd love for BIS to make use of the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, seeing as they're local and all lol.

Most certainly! I'm glad somebody recognizes the need for a decent orchestral soundtrack.

And the previous is certainly fitting for the upcoming Syndicate release. However, it would be absolutely terrible for ArmA III. Again, different genres necessitate different music styles.

Most certainly! I'm glad somebody recognizes the need for a decent orchestral soundtrack.

And the previous is certainly fitting for the upcoming Syndicate release. However, it would be absolutely terrible for ArmA III. Again, different genres necessitate different music styles.

I do. Been pushing it for a long time.

Its not gonna be like that... Welcome to 2012 where remixing old scores equal dubstep.

Tell that to Ludovico Einaudi, James Horner, Steve Jablonsky, John Williams, James Newton Howard, Alexandre Desplat, Harry Gregson-Williams, Howard Shore, Jerry Goldsmith, Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, Dario Marianelli, Thomas Newman, Mark Isham, Clinton Shorter, Klaus Badelt, Terence Blanchard, Trevor Jones, the orchestral works of Two Steps from Hell, X-Ray Dog, Immediate Music, Epic Score, AudioMachine, Groove Addicts, need I go on...

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

I do. Been pushing it for a long time.

I highly doubt we'll ever see it. In the mean time, I've got something for ya, mate.

Setting a "tone"... I'd love to see a professionally composed soundtrack. No, this is not a shameless plug for me. It's hope that BIS will realize that utilizing professionally performed tracks and the utilization of orchestral music can lead to a far more engrossing atmosphere.

Wn9-a-x4LW4

Edited by DetCord

Tell that to Ludovico Einaudi, James Horner, Steve Jablonsky, John Williams, James Newton Howard, Alexandre Desplat, Harry Gregson-Williams, Howard Shore, Jerry Goldsmith, Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, Dario Marianelli, Thomas Newman, Mark Isham, Clinton Shorter, Klaus Badelt, Terence Blanchard, Trevor Jones, the orchestral works of Two Steps from Hell, X-Ray Dog, Immediate Music, Epic Score, AudioMachine, Groove Addicts, need I go on...

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

I highly doubt we'll ever see it. In the mean time, I've got something for ya, mate.

Setting a "tone"... I'd love to see a professionally composed soundtrack.

I've got this for you. Great example of orchestral music that is fitting, adds to the tone, and is not overbearing:

AaekUJIJyDU&hd=1

yDMY4IBGs1A&hd=1

Honestly wish THIS would have been the tone of Operation Arrowhead. Not to mention the look of Takistan too.

Edited by antoineflemming

I've got this for you. Great example of orchestral music that is fitting, adds to the tone, and is not overbearing:

AaekUJIJyDU&hd=1

Honestly wish THIS would have been the tone of Operation Arrowhead. Not to mention the look of Takistan too.

Indeed. Ramin Djawadi can produce some music for sure. However, I'm certain we'll be stuck with some OFP/ArmA retro, 80's top picks sound-alikes, $200 Kawasaki synthesized tracks for ArmA III. The music producers for the series should be fired. Hell, the creative directors, QAS's, and ADI's should be fired for thinking that this up-chuck music is acceptable. But that is a business decision after-all and I'm quite certain they'll continue down the same tired road... a road that was heavily traveled during the 80's.

Either way, I'll continue to create videos utilizing tracks that are fitting...

Indeed. Ramin Djawadi can produce some music for sure. However, I'm certain we'll be stuck with some OFP/ArmA retro, 80's top picks sound-alikes, $200 Kawasaki synthesized tracks for ArmA III. The music producers for the series should be fired. Hell, the creative directors, QAS's, and ADI's should be fired for thinking that this up-chuck music is acceptable. But that is a business decision after-all and I'm quite certain they'll continue down the same tired road... a road that was heavily traveled during the 80's.

Either way, I'll continue to create videos utilizing tracks that are fitting...

lol... I like your thinking. Too bad the fanbois on this forum will criticize and flame you for your post. They seem to think ArmA is perfect and that any change is detrimental to their precious game. Ondrej is good for the limited hardware that he has, but he has a lot of learning to do from more experienced composers. Perhaps he could learn from Hans Zimmer. Maybe then he could be set up with the proper tools to produce high quality orchestra music. btw, don't quote vids...

EDIT: Like your sig by the way. I hope to branch engineer when I commission in 3 1/2 years. Hope to join 1st ENG Battalion, 1ID

Don`t want to offend BIS - but in A2 and OA music wasn`t cool. In OFP it was cool probably by half :)

^ Is that an example of music to not include? :D

I must second this... I don't think that style of music would be fitting for ArmA 3

Suddenly the music-blaster was kicked down when it's playing rock music by US soldier, as he switch it into a near-futuristic style of ambient-electronica music.

"We aren't playing Mass Effect 6, sarge."

"Oh, but we don't need to be boil our blood with rock, the nuke-apocalypse is hotter than this."

Since OFP, arma has fallen far short of having an adequate soundtrack: and even OFP´s was lacking in many respects.

There are no proper ambiences (the tracks who are called that are NOT proper ambient tracks. For that, listen to Stalker´s "Dead Cities" for example.)

There are no character pieces. All there is are random noise tracks. I hope A3 will take a big step forward in that regard. Otherwise, I´ll do as I do now with A2, and turn the music off (and by doing that, turning off a big slice of what should make the atmosphere of the game.)

A soundtrack below from an old (but still great!) Vietnam movie Platoon is a great example (IMO) what kind of music makes any scene dramatic, adds various emotions to it:

I want this in Arma 3 Launch Trailer ,this like the Battlefield Theme´s ,but this is for Arma and gives the Feeling of Arma ,this song´s says you im better then all shit because im realistic !!!

A soundtrack below from an old (but still great!) Vietnam movie Platoon is a great example (IMO) what kind of music makes any scene dramatic, adds various emotions to it:

yup, this is why classical should be used for a decent portion of the soundtrack.

slightly offtopic: its a shame most people only know Samuel Barber from the movie, and dont know that this piece is actually 1 movement from his string quartet. He is probably the most famous american composer who was also part of the modern revolution of classical music.

Never in my life have I ever been out walking when a dramatic musical score comes blasting from somewhere inside my mind.

This is a military simulator not a Hollywood movie lol

Ditch the music and spend the money and time on other more important things :-)

Never in my life have I ever been out walking when a dramatic musical score comes blasting from somewhere inside my mind.

This is a military simulator not a Hollywood movie lol

1. Music is a medium of expression used by itself or in plays, movies or games to create or amplify a mood or dramatic effect.

2. Arma 2 is a game featuring realistic military action, and Arma 3 will be a game along those lines as well.

Well said. I think sometimes people forget that VBS2 is the simulation software. ArmA has always been a more realistic game. Yes, it's a milsim, but it's still a game genre. And, even if it's meant to be a super realistic simulator, it is a simulator, not life. So even though in real life you don't have music blasting in your mind, this isn't real life. And there is the audio option to turn the music off. It's there so that it caters to everyone. Those who want the ingame music have it, and those that don't turn it off. It's important to remember that not everyone's play styles or preferences are the same, and as such you shouldn't expect others to submit to your preferences. And you shouldn't look down upon differing preferences. In the end, there WILL be music in ArmA 3, hence the point of this thread.

And on that note, I'll state it again: It would be nice to have orchestra-based music. Will we get it? Probably not. But orchestral music would sound more natural than that of a synthesizer, especially for ambient music.

Fair enough matey I'll just turn it off in the settings.

Don't get me wrong I love music, in fact it's my life I've been a classical music teacher for the last 15 years.

I just think it gets in the way in a war game where the audio is a very important part for detecting the enemy.

Each to their own I guess :-)

I just think it gets in the way in a war game where the audio is a very important part for detecting the enemy.

There are very few missions in Arma 2 where music is drowning other sounds when it matters.

ah that's good then.

I think I'm in the minority of folk that don't want it.

ARMA 2 was the 1st game that gave me an audible sense of actually being out side, it was such a refreshing change from the dry clinical action shooters with meaningless music.

looking forward to ARMA 3