Sign in to follow this  
Homer Johnston

Road Painter 2

Found this really usefull cheers :)

video

Damn, with that tool I would consider remaking Panthera in realsize 1:1 or continue to work on Balkania ;)

Damn, with that tool I would consider remaking Panthera in realsize 1:1 or continue to work on Balkania ;)

Hell with that tool I would reconsider redoing my abandoned Savine Vode map :D roads were one of the PITA.

Nice stuff...

...simply involves millions (literally) of point->point distance calculations and it just isn't that fast.

Seeing as you're doing a .dll to get your data out to V3. Perhaps you could have spawned sqf threads that concentrate on interacting with additional .dll's that tear through some of the heavy data a bit quicker out in c++. Whether it'd actually end up giving you much of a boost when you have to manage the flow into and out of A2/OA I dunno. Just a arbitrary thought.

Cheers, Sy.

Root post updated, v0.3 download link posted. god help us all. Let me know in this thread if you find any nasty issues, if needed I'll try to do a maintenance update within a couple weeks.

A W E S O M E ! !

Can't wait to test.

(BTW ..... why does Ray Romano come to mind when I listen to you ;) )

v0.3 - added terrain smoother, file in/out operations (saving session, exporting road paths to file), several misc. UI improvements and bug fixes

Terrain smoother and the ability to save sessions! Thank you!

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Should get Kent roads looking less.....split!

Excenllent work Homer!!!

This looks superb! Very polished and logical interface, and the integrated roads selection system is just lovely!

I've used the old "camtest Beta" version endlessly on every terrain I've been involved with since it was released, and its been an absolute godsend! Looking forward to trying this one out! - I'm just putting together a little test terrain specially! ;)

Thanks for all your hard work mate! This looks set to revolutionise our little terrain-making world!

B

Hi,

i have a Problem, i have not installed arma2 and oa via steam, so i have only an arma2 folder in wich all files are located, your tool seems to export the xyz to an arma2oa folder. thin i have to correct the path for my installation setup. where can i do this?

woow this tool realy good now.

i considered to redo the road network on fayshkhabur, as i did them all by hand the first time wich cost me atleast several weeks.

with your road tool i did 3/4 of the whole map in just a few hours the corners are so much better now.

thnx .

Thank for your the update. I'll test it on my new map (although I probably won't release it for A2) tonight ;)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The file export/import functions require you to be using the latest beta version of Arma, not just 1.60 retail. Sorry for forgetting to mention earlier!

Also, there may be bugs with the terrain smoother if roads pass under-water; I have to find time to test this (or hope one of you guys does :P) and will try to fix for next release

sorry i have a problem again, now i have the beta, an launch it via armaIIlauncher, i can start the road painter 2 mission and make roads end smooth them, then i press export xyz and now he makes a file, but it is empty. 0 bytes

any suggestion what i made wrong?

Hmm... some questions for you:

1) does the "save session" button work and create a file with some data or is it also empty?

2) are you sure the export process is done when you check? (arma freezes while it is working, it unfreezes when done)

3) what OS are you using?

The process of operations is:

1) Arma tells plugin "make new file"

2) Plugin makes new file, empty (0 bytes)

3) Arma copies data to windows clipboard

4) Arma tells plugin to write data from clipboard to file

5) plugin transfers data from clipboard to file (0 bytes should almost instantly change to XX megabytes)

Nice tool.

I have a few questions aswell.

1: When placing the red road-objects as artificial objects instead of roads; will they be marked on the map as proper roads and will the AI still recognize it?

2: When I import a road, my visitor says 0 rejected and all imported. It shows the whole road in buldozer, but in visitor I can only see, grab and delete roughly half of them. It simply doesnt show some of the sections and I have no possible way to remove them. If I where to press SAVE after an import, it would in theory destroy my whole map unless I find a way to unhide those sections that magically has dissapeared. Any ideas of why this happens?

Screenshot here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1576479/Work/wierd.jpg

3: The Smooth Paths, import export XYZ never seems to un-grey them selves.

Bonus question: Is there any possibility that in future versions we will be able to place other objects than roads?

I am using latest beta patch.

1: When placing the red road-objects as artificial objects instead of roads; will they ...

2: When I import a road, my visitor says 0 rejected and all imported. It shows the whole road in buldozer, but in visitor I can only see, grab and delete roughly half of them ...

3: The Smooth Paths, import export XYZ never seems to un-grey them selves.

Bonus question: Is there any possibility that in future versions we will be able to place other objects than roads?

1. Yes

2. Hmm, not something I noticed in my tests. Do you know which road family you were using? Maybe some of them are bugged

3. I'm guessing you're working with a 2048x2048 heightmap, it will take some time (maybe several minutes). Longer especially if you have a very slow CPU.

4. not in the near future, I may have further interest in tool dev later on, or possibly for A3.

ok now it seems to work, i don't really know what was the problem i deleted the 0 byte files and made some Changes with user rights and write Protection Settings under windows 7 x64 and did a reboot, not i get the xyz file. Thx for your Help, THink it was some weird configuration Issue in my pC. Now i can play with the settings and see the results, perhaps we can collect some parameters for special circumstances, for example, what parameters are best for making a double serpentine down a cliffy hill ....

Thank you for your answers Jonston.

I where using the mud road tree (those who in fact are the dirt ones, the lighter colored). Maybe I should try with a few other roads and see what happens.

EDIT: Just tried with ASF 3. Same thing. :( Dont know whats going on here..

My map is 10240x10240..

In your settings.sqf Ive set it to 1024 and 10 in cell size.

Edited by MugAben

Sounds like another annoying bug in Visitor... possibly a small error inside your PEW file that occurred earlier. I know I've heard of objects being non-selectable in Visitor but this is much worse than "normal" :(

Perhaps we'll also need a Visitor script to search for and delete road p3ds too :icon11:

ok after i have now suceeded in running the Road Painter 2 i got a question. The exportet txt for "export all" looks similiar to the one the old tool produces. is it possible to import such a txt so i can use my old already placed roads ?

before i start double posting posting all the time wich way of communication do you prefer skype or here?