CameronMcDonald

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Want to hear something crazy?

My 9800gt goes to 107 Celsius while playing this game, and yet my small ass case doesn't even get that warm. No GPU artifacts from the extreme temps either.

This patch my temps went up usually they were only up to 105 max.

Worse performance in valleys in this patch it seems like Arma micro-stutter I got the latest Driver (not the shit beta drivers)

I'm using Nvidia control panel system tools to monitor the temps (cant in game for some reason only when i go back to my desktop real quick) but its been running hot like this ever since I first used it in 2009 don't see any signs of physical damage on the GPU or anything.

Also having trouble with Mods not showing up, the only one that works for sure is a icon UI mod by Kenney. Would like to use some texture packs and various little mods.

You serious with those temperatures? :eek:

I think its a mistake by the software or sensor, the thing wouldn´t survive for long on such a temp

You serious with those temperatures? :eek:

I think its a mistake by the software or sensor, the thing wouldn't survive for long on such a temp

That's what I'm thinking that the temps aren't any where near accurate I do know these temps are the temps of the chipset and not the ambient temp but yeah my room is cold all the time and the front of my case is ice cold CPU is at normal temps GPU though 105-107, usually around 98 Celsius though.

I'm really not too worried seeing that I'm upgrading to an EVGA GTX 560ti 2048MB very soon and getting a big ass case (compared too my little default HP bundled case (does have some nice features ill admit like easy backup at the press of a button and built in card readers)).

Then hopefully Skyrim wont run like shit and modders will have the Creation Kit to work some magic. :D

Game runs pretty good though on the 9800gt despite the temps if they're true or not. Typically the only bad FPS I get is inside towns which other people are complaining about even with god rigs. :eek:

That's what I'm thinking that the temps aren't any where near accurate I do know these temps are the temps of the chipset and not the ambient temp but yeah my room is cold all the time and the front of my case is ice cold CPU is at normal temps GPU though 105-107, usually around 98 Celsius though.

I'm really not too worried seeing that I'm upgrading to an EVGA GTX 560ti 2048MB very soon and getting a big ass case (compared too my little default HP bundled case (does have some nice features ill admit like easy backup at the press of a button and built in card readers)).

Then hopefully Skyrim wont run like shit and modders will have the Creation Kit to work some magic. :D

Game runs pretty good though on the 9800gt despite the temps if they're true or not. Typically the only bad FPS I get is inside towns which other people are complaining about even with god rigs. :eek:

I hardly ever had any issues with skyrim in terms of performace, cities or not (the game runs at a stable 60FPS with vsynk on). I only had 2 random crashes so far, although i got to admit that i wasn't using any sort of mod such LAA nor any improved and bigger sized textures..

I find dragons annoying, they hover over my head, out of reach, and spam fire breath on me for ages, gets away, come back, hover, spam.... Is archery the only way to take him down? On top of it, when I hit him with arrow, he gets away....

On the main quest, you'll get a shout that oblige the dragon to go on the ground.

I hardly ever had any issues with Skyrim in terms of performance, cities or not (the game runs at a stable 60FPS with vsync on). I only had 2 random crashes so far, although i got to admit that i wasn't using any sort of mod such LAA nor any improved and bigger sized textures..

Yeah i don't use large address aware, crashes aren't a problem only had one random CTD. But its completely normal for a 9800gt stock to bog down I'm running everything on max except No AA and High shadows since Ultra don't seem to make any difference except to murder fps.

This graphics card seems indestructible though if those temps are true.

Oh you should try the blockiness fix mods those are nice.

EDIT

Nevermind this fucking game has crashed 20 times on me tonight, no errors just a crash. The game ran fine for me until this latest patch what a joke. Think Skyrim will be collecting dust for awhile. Its not playable as of now.

Edited by Flash Thunder

Only just set this up, detected my settings as "High" so kept it like that for now. So far Ive only just entered the world and im getting some odd 5 second pauses (music plays ok and sound) and then freezes. So Im updating Gdriver, and killed of some steam "community running in the background" options and so on & running in offline mode.

Can anyone enlighten me if I can change game save location to a different drive at all? Im getting save stutters as my C: drive isnt great and I specifically installed steam and game to my fastest cleanest drive so I would prefer saves to go thier too.

So far I have had 2 pc lock ups and screen freezes, but I need to check drivers/temps and so on (Arma2 and other games are fine and never cause this).

Visually at my settings im happy, not even scratched the surface of the game yet as Im "tweaking some sweet spots" with settings :)

Hey mrCash, glad to hear rather read, lol that you got the game, as for your question:

Might be best to just move all the files to the new or other dive you have.

but your saves can be found at this address

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves

that where you can find all your saves auto and manually made.

Did you get the 1.2 patch when you installed, im thinking that might have something to do with it, but cant say for sure.

Also what are your computer specs?

I just upped to latest Nvidia drivers and also switched off plenty of crap in Steam.

I was actually wondering if in steam or game you can set your game save folder some place else than it being default to C: (hate games that let you prefer a drive to install yet stick to C: for saves with no options to change).

I also got updated rivatuner for fans on card so will test out.

Unfortunately I used game digital which simply gave me a key and sent me to steam to download, so even though I selected no update option while downloading I can run in offline mode and as far as im aware if its not fully patched or needs an update you cant offline mode? So I assume that tells me I had no bloody choice and it did the patch up anyway.

I always assume issue with games, and then spend time in ini's online and configs checking for ways to get things just right.

Nerdgasm.

*awesome youtube link*

Already modded into the game.

ninja'ed :D

That is such an excellent track that has been playing in permanent loop for propably the last two hours.

I like it :)

As said in that previous article I linked there will be a quick patch out this week, or did you no read it? :confused:

Had to restart my PC twice tonight, apparently theres another nasty bug when the game crashes it fucks up the color on windows, all the windows are blurry and shit I didnt even bother getting a screen of it. Also ran into some invisible enemies and items are showing up black with no textures, same for character models yet my GPU and CPU temps are normal, but if i alt tab again then it gets fixed (or it crashes FPDR)

This game can collect dust till it gets fixed im sick of it.

Well after killing off the steam options, and then getting latest Nvidia WHQL drivers. Then checking forums, I have graphics set too High (the game detects it as this on startup) but I set shadows medium with 2xAA, I then alt-tab to process and set it "high" (yes after testing this helped me).

So far I played 6 hours straight (patched via steam download version) and I got no crashes. I still get this very odd 4 second game pause, but I started to work out this only happens when im getting near too or coming away from the river area of riverwoods entering the village by that river (name escapes me). When im in village fine, when I cross river and walk to it up or from mountains I get these 4 second pauses of the game ... I tried setting all setting off and 0 so it was lowest graphics and it still does it, so its inescapable and only in that area it seems to happen.

I use rivatuner to monitor these 4 sec pauses, my clock and mem hz drop like game isn't running then back again after, but even lowering all graphics completely it still happens, sound in the background carries on running, caps lock & scroll lock function so not a crash. Also temps of card stay at about 62 with fan on 80 percent.

Ive played fully around the hills of riverwood and Whiterun and all was ok apart from some expected FPS drops and some micro stutter (expected for me).

This is on a Dual Core 3.1 gig AMD 64 6000+ with GTX260 216 896 MB / XP 32 (waits for Sickboy to run in laughing :) ). In tunnels and houses rain/wind etc all runs fine.

My system is old now, and justification for upgrade in the next few months is on the way finally, but im still surprised the mileage I can get out of it even on this game as a test.

All I can confirm is that apart from this odd pause "thing" in certain places but thankfully isolated, I have never had a crash/CTD or BSOD. Apart from when I first installed that 4 sec pause never recovered 3 times, but Gcard update has sorted that so its not a crash just a pause,and again, only in that certain place on the map (fast travel can sort that out anyway).

I can live with that anyway, playable and looks very good indeed. Only issue I have is no Gamma settings, its a bit washy looking, so I use Nvidia gamma under control panel to sort that out.

Sound is about half the level of every other game I have, so not sure what's up with the max level on this game, its low, but nothing I cant manually boost, still odd though.

So far ive done a few basic quests, 3 levels up only and plenty to do, very happy with purchase and it can only be fixed better as we go (plus mods).

BTW I tried that FX mod that tints the game graphics, none of the templates looked like the examples all I got was grainy edges, brown and pink tinting ... so couldn't get that mod to look like the examples, I tried all four and tweaked the ini, all looked fairly crap ... odd. Gamma was my thing (I like black to look black, not grey) .. so after that and jumping through a few typical game tweak hoops, I got it working and played 6 hours straight last night.

Edited by mrcash2009

@MrCash

get this mod it will solve your pause issue, you can up your graphics and this will allow your computer to run more smoother.

I use it for my single core :j: and it has helped my game tremendously, I get no more pauses, or hesitations and I can even run with high med graphics vs low.

4GB Skyrim

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

if you want a nice list of mods that seriously upgrade the textures to trees, ground, moutnains, rocks/stones, clutter, buildings,

weapons/armor, and many other things i can link them, you would swear with the mountains and stones your looking at a photo!

Thanks Gunter I will look at this now and see what results I get.

I have now got some key sites bookmarked for all the mods and help. I found this to be much help for someone who has never played any Elder Scrolls type games before and have no guide:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim

Thanks for offer though, looking forward to patches now and updates and mods :) level 5 now and have massed a decent enough "to do" list of quests and side quests, so now its off to start earning some money and building the character. I have gone for Warior style for now but stealth will be next.

I assume you can start again under a new name and this doesn't effect saves of previous saves/character, so I can switch about with each character story? I didnt see a "profile" for anything which is why I ask. Or is it, one character or another and no switching?

Edited by mrcash2009

I have gone for Warior style for now but stealth will be next.

I have started with skyrim the same way (just like with morrowind and oblivion), but stopped quite soonish and created a new dark elf character for a more stealthier approach (bow/single hand weapons - stealth/lockpick/pickpocketing).

Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood Guilds are great for getting tons of money pretty fast.

Same is smithing (especially if you create tons of iron daggers to increase your skill) after you get to create the dragon armor and then sell/trade it. Enchanting and Herbalism are also great way to get heaps of money.

I assume you can start again under a new name and this doesn't effect saves of previous saves/character, so I can switch about with each character story? I didnt see a "profile" for anything which is why I ask. Or is it, one character or another and no switching?

There are no profiles, just make sure to save on a new slot (NOT quicksave) before creating a new one.

There are no profiles, just make sure to save on a new slot (NOT quicksave) before creating a new one.

Indeed, shame we cant name the savegames.

__

Anybody got any pro tips on how to install the 4gb mod, I see no info or instructions on how to, and I'm not confident enough to mess it up and throw 60+ hours away.

Edit:

Nevermind, I william wallace'd it...

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

;2066639']Indeed' date=' shame we cant name the savegames.[/quote']

You can through the console. Just write:

save <name>

I think you also can rename the saves in your Documents folder, but I'm not 100% about that.

I assume you can start again under a new name and this doesn't effect saves of previous saves/character,

so I can switch about with each character story? I didnt see a "profile" for anything which is why I ask. Or is it, one character or another and no switching?

You can create as many characters as you wish and name them whatever you want,

in Oblivion I had about 7 different characters, but when you save just be sure not to save over an already existing character save.